RIP School Survival Forums
August 2001 - June 2017

The School Survival Forums are permanently retired. If you need help with quitting school, unsupportive parents or anything else, there is a list of resources on the Help Page.

If you want to write about your experiences in school, you can write on our blog.

To everyone who joined these forums at some point, and got discouraged by the negativity and left after a while (or even got literally scared off): I'm sorry.

I wasn't good enough at encouraging people to be kinder, and removing people who refuse to be kind. Encouraging people is hard, and removing people creates conflict, and I hate conflict... so that's why I wasn't better at it.

I was a very, very sensitive teen. The atmosphere of this forum as it is now, if it had existed in 1996, would probably have upset me far more than it would have helped.

I can handle quite a lot of negativity and even abuse now, but that isn't the point. I want to help people. I want to help the people who need it the most, and I want to help people like the 1996 version of me.

I'm still figuring out the best way to do that, but as it is now, these forums are doing more harm than good, and I can't keep running them.

Thank you to the few people who have tried to understand my point of view so far. I really, really appreciate you guys. You are beautiful people.

Everyone else: If after everything I've said so far, you still don't understand my motivations, I think it's unlikely that you will. We're just too different. Maybe someday in the future it might make sense, but until then, there's no point in arguing about it. I don't have the time or the energy for arguing anymore. I will focus my time and energy on people who support me, and those who need help.

-SoulRiser

The forums are mostly read-only and are in a maintenance/testing phase, before being permanently archived. Please use this time to get the contact details of people you'd like to keep in touch with. My contact details are here.

Please do not make a mirror copy of the forums in their current state - things will still change, and some people have requested to be able to edit or delete some of their personal info.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
the future is here
Rebelnerd Offline
Fanatic

Given 113 thank(s) in 97 post(s)

well is didn't see it so lets not start discussing it.

I think Buenaventura Durruti is a pretty cool guy. eh kills fascists and doesnt afraid of ruins.
The quickest way to kill a revolution is to wait for it.
01-03-2006 04:19 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
xcriteria Offline
Fanatic

Given 930 thank(s) in 612 post(s)

Rebelnerd Wrote:actually some of those camps and juvie prisons are state run, for juvenile offenders. i've heard some of the inmantes there say it's worse than adult prison. and about the whole democracy thing, yes, american citizens have many rights that people in other countries don't. but not us. besides forced schooling, people under 18 can't own property or money, vote, hold political office, sign a contract, and can legally have their parental guardian take their hard earned money and use it for themselves. the fact is, we really don't have any rights. it's just become so common in our society that people barely even notice it anymore.
That is terrible, and those things ought to change. But, there are plenty of things that can be done that don't remotely involve violence; and as I've said, one of the most important things is publicizing the issues.

It's absolutely insane to go around promoting terrorism as a solution for issues that haven't even been widely publicized. As far as I can tell, youth do have free speech rights (outside of school), and can in practice own at least some kinds of property and money. While it's true their parents can disrupt those activities, not all parents do so, and I never had my property confiscated by my parents.

I continue to be shocked how quickly you're jumping to the advocacy of violence! Yes, there are numerous legitimate problems, but having a legitimate complaint -- even a bunch -- does not justify advocating violence. While some would disagree with that, I think it's truly brutish to jump to that point without even seriously asking, "what else can be done?"

Do you think NYRA, which advocates in favor of youth rights on many of the issues you mentioned, supports violence?

No! They use non-violent, legal methods. And, I think the more some people jump to advocating and plotting violence and descruction, the more the work of those who are pushing legitimate and effective methods of changing public opinion is disrupted.

Have you heard the term agent provocateur? A relevant excerpt from that (wikipedia) article is: "Agents provocateurs are also used against political opponents. Here, it has been documented that provocateurs deliberately carry out or seek to incite counter-productive and/or ineffective acts, in order to foster public disdain for the group and provide a pretext for aggression; and to worsen the punishments its members are liable for."

I'm not suggesting you are an agent provacateur, but the same effect is hard to avoid, when somone is basically advocating terrorism in the name of a movement people which increasing numbers of people are working on in a dedicated, passionate and legitimate manner. These issues are far too important for progress on them to be distrupted in this way.

The key here is separating the grievances from the methods used to address those grievances. Why are you so drawn to violence as a solution? How much have you given other methods consideration, or tried talking to the many adults who do care about these issues, or who might be persuaded to?

I would start by separating your personal problems from those that others have. Not everyone actively suffers from the dismal youth rights situation, because for the most part, if parents are cooperative and caring, and things can be discussed, minors have the de facto ability to do quite a lot. For others, the youth rights situation is incredibly damaging.

But a big problem youth have -- in terms of prevalence, maybe the main problem -- is the way they are looked at by adults (and often themselves.) This is the root of the formal social conventions, like rights and educational processes, that end up being established. I think you're sorely mistaken if you think you can intimidate respect out of the population by terrorizing them. The result, almost necessarily, is antagonism and counter-militance, which then tends to spread to the whole movement in question through stereotyping. I'd have to do some research to make a more comprehensive demonstration of that point, but it is unquestionable that non-violent methods have historically had great success, particularly under democracy.

Peter Gray & allies launching the Alliance for Self-directed Education

ASDE Newsletters: #1 Announcement | #2 History of ASDE | #6 Education Liberation

School Survival & Catalyst Learning Network featured on AlternativestoSchool's blog
“Mom, Dad, can I stop going to school?”

Crucial Conversations: Tools for Talking when the Stakes are High

Hidden stuff:
01-03-2006 08:43 AM
Rebelnerd Offline
Fanatic

xcriteria Wrote:Have you heard the term agent provocateur? A relevant excerpt from that (wikipedia) article is: "Agents provocateurs are also used against political opponents. Here, it has been documented that provocateurs deliberately carry out or seek to incite counter-productive and/or ineffective acts, in order to foster public disdain for the group and provide a pretext for aggression; and to worsen the punishments its members are liable for."

I'm not suggesting you are an agent provacateur, but the same effect is hard to avoid, when somone is basically advocating terrorism in the name of a movement people which increasing numbers of people are working on in a dedicated, passionate and legitimate manner. These issues are far too important for progress on them to be distrupted in this way.

what progress? what have they done? you can't negotiate with people who don't consider you people. look, i'm not saying we should just go on a rampage, or even actually use violence. i just think that if we make it so that we are capable of violently defending ourselves, and let them know. it may shake theidea of youth as defenseless, apethetic brats which their entire system is based on. once people atart dying, which they have, then we should consider ALL options.

I think Buenaventura Durruti is a pretty cool guy. eh kills fascists and doesnt afraid of ruins.
01-03-2006 09:42 AM
Human V. 2.0 Offline
Revolutionary

Given 1 thank(s) in 1 post(s)

The second you have to pick up the gun, is the same second they will put a bullet in your head.

++++++[br]Me, Me, Me - Agent Smith[br]++++++
01-03-2006 12:09 PM
Rebelnerd Offline
Fanatic

no, they will hesitate to harm kids. especially if there's reporters nearby.

01-03-2006 01:05 PM
Human V. 2.0 Offline
Revolutionary

And morality goes out the window. Sure! We can shoot them, but if there are reporters nearby, they can't shoot back! Yeah, bullshit.
If you put thier lives in danger, chances are, they will end yours.

01-03-2006 04:57 PM
Rebelnerd Offline
Fanatic

and vice versa. that's how a war works.

01-03-2006 11:25 PM
Human V. 2.0 Offline
Revolutionary

Yeah, but if it's Anarchy Vrs. US, your ass is probably grass.

01-04-2006 09:26 AM
Rebelnerd Offline
Fanatic

not if all the students, workers, everyone but the rich and powerful rebelled. then they would be absolutely unstoppable.

01-04-2006 11:40 AM
Human V. 2.0 Offline
Revolutionary

And they would rebel...why?
The rich and powerful like the system.

01-04-2006 01:34 PM
Rebelnerd Offline
Fanatic

no, the lower class rebels AGAINST the rich and powerful because all through history they have been enemies.

01-05-2006 06:29 AM