RIP School Survival Forums
August 2001 - June 2017

The School Survival Forums are permanently retired. If you need help with quitting school, unsupportive parents or anything else, there is a list of resources on the Help Page.

If you want to write about your experiences in school, you can write on our blog.

To everyone who joined these forums at some point, and got discouraged by the negativity and left after a while (or even got literally scared off): I'm sorry.

I wasn't good enough at encouraging people to be kinder, and removing people who refuse to be kind. Encouraging people is hard, and removing people creates conflict, and I hate conflict... so that's why I wasn't better at it.

I was a very, very sensitive teen. The atmosphere of this forum as it is now, if it had existed in 1996, would probably have upset me far more than it would have helped.

I can handle quite a lot of negativity and even abuse now, but that isn't the point. I want to help people. I want to help the people who need it the most, and I want to help people like the 1996 version of me.

I'm still figuring out the best way to do that, but as it is now, these forums are doing more harm than good, and I can't keep running them.

Thank you to the few people who have tried to understand my point of view so far. I really, really appreciate you guys. You are beautiful people.

Everyone else: If after everything I've said so far, you still don't understand my motivations, I think it's unlikely that you will. We're just too different. Maybe someday in the future it might make sense, but until then, there's no point in arguing about it. I don't have the time or the energy for arguing anymore. I will focus my time and energy on people who support me, and those who need help.

-SoulRiser

The forums are mostly read-only and are in a maintenance/testing phase, before being permanently archived. Please use this time to get the contact details of people you'd like to keep in touch with. My contact details are here.

Please do not make a mirror copy of the forums in their current state - things will still change, and some people have requested to be able to edit or delete some of their personal info.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
School is a Cult
Unregistered

Given thank(s) in post(s)
School is a Cult

The last assignment for my anthro-,socio-, psychology class is to design a poster about a cult. The one handout the teacher gave us listed some of the characteristics of a cult and I quickly noticed that they could equally apply to school. Thus my statement, school is a cult. Or at least aims at mind control.

So guess what... I'm doing the poster on school!

(Obviously..)
06-08-2007 05:40 AM
Quote this message in a reply
SoulRiser Offline
Site Founder

Given 1978 thank(s) in 1208 post(s)

Mwahaha
That sounds fun. Evil

"If you can, help others; if you cannot do that, at least do not harm them." - Dalai Lama
Help & Support - Get help with leaving school, unsupportive parents, and more.
Click here if school makes you depressed or suicidal

Support School Survival on Patreon or Donate Bitcoin Here: 1Q5WCcxWjayniaL92b8GfXBiGdfjmnUNa2
"Believe those who are seeking the truth. Doubt those who find it." - André Paul Guillaume Gide
"The true sign of intelligence is not knowledge but imagination." - Albert Einstein
"I'm pretty sure there's a lot of beauty that can only be found in the mind of a lunatic." - TheCancer
EIPD - Emotionally Incompetent Parent Disorder

Push Button for Collection of Useful Links:
Hidden stuff:
06-08-2007 05:50 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Cosbydaf Offline
Fanatic

Given 19 thank(s) in 17 post(s)

SoulRiser Wrote:Mwahaha
That sounds fun. Evil

Indeed!

What are ya going to put on it?
06-08-2007 06:06 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
youvebeenthunderstruck Offline
Fanatic

Given 21 thank(s) in 19 post(s)

that's great.

A) If you PASS, you can carry the debate further and your teacher may see truth in it.
B) If you FAIL, you can appeal the shit out of it and still carry the debate further Biggrin
06-08-2007 06:34 AM
Freak Offline
Fanatic

Given 14 thank(s) in 10 post(s)

Post the lists that characterise occults.
(I know most, but there might be a few I missed)

[Image: ambnh8.jpg]
06-08-2007 07:06 AM
Unregistered

Summarized from the handout.

Characteristics:
  • Leader who claims to have all the answers to life.
  • Claims that only its members will be saved or given some higher understanding that makes its members superior to all people outside the group.
  • The friendship of the group replaces other relationships.
  • Group members are psychologically manipulated or deceived using mind control.
  • Group members are often taken advantage of financially.[/list:u]
    Mind control:
    • Love bombing
    • Exploitation of personal weaknesses or hopes
    • Group pressure
    • Critical questions are discouraged
    • Isolation and no privacy
    • Food and sleep deprivation
    • Guilt, public confession, and group approval[/list:u]
06-08-2007 11:34 AM
youvebeenthunderstruck Offline
Fanatic

Given 21 thank(s) in 19 post(s)

Omg

it IS school Omg
06-08-2007 11:38 AM
Dark Soul X Offline
Fanatic

Given 7 thank(s) in 6 post(s)

Fuckin' duh.

Spambot Kill Counter: 33
Spambot Kill Counter as Spambot Hell's Devil: Countless

Buying a high powered computer: 500 bucks
Getting gift wrap: 10 bucks maybe
Seeing the horror on that special someone's face once they tear off the gift wrap and see a Windows 98: Priceless.

[Image: Spawn_Classic.jpg]

I'll see you in Hell....AAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAAA!!!!
06-08-2007 01:07 PM
Unregistered

Quote Me, Bitch

I need a couple of good quotes for my poster. In the very center of my poster there will be a list of the PRINCIPLES OF SCHOOL and a quote by someone who endorsed the specific principle.

I have the gist of the principles:
  • school is always right
  • drop outs are inferior
  • school is life
  • authority is ultimate
  • self worth is determined by others[/list:u]I'm going to rewrite them but that's what they are.

Qwotes pwease?
06-12-2007 12:24 PM
thoughtmaker Offline
Pariah

Given 10 thank(s) in 9 post(s)

good idea. you're teacher, if they're an asshole, will probaly fail you though. you've got to try to show it to the other kids in your class and stir some shit up. good luck with this, hope it goes well.
06-12-2007 01:56 PM
HeartofShadows Offline
Fanatic

Given 80 thank(s) in 73 post(s)

How about these quotes.

( Girls who get pregnant before they are married are sluts)
( People who hate school or have low grades are depressed)
( teachers are smart individuals who want to help you)
( All parents only listen to teachers and school officials because why would they lie)
( A person who does not say yes mam to a teacher is a class disturbance)
( School no matter how much work is not as hard as your parents jobs even if you are bullied)
( Its not the guys who tease and taunt quiet kids who are the threat but quiet kids themselves.

[Image: WARZONES_subs_hostility.png]
image hosting jpg
06-12-2007 02:13 PM
Unregistered

I'm looking for quotes by the people who started this messed up education system.
06-12-2007 02:22 PM
HeartofShadows Offline
Fanatic

Given 80 thank(s) in 73 post(s)

Oh then damn I'am boned.

[Image: WARZONES_subs_hostility.png]
image hosting jpg
06-12-2007 02:30 PM
SoulRiser Offline
Site Founder

Re: Quote Me, Bitch

Kirby Wrote:Qwotes pwease?

Got these from the quotes page... there are probably more out there on the vast internets though Smile

"[T]he child should be taught to consider his instructor...superior to the parent in point of authority.... The vulgar impression that parents have a legal right to dictate to teachers is entirely erroneous.... Parents have no remedy as against the teacher." – John Swett, Superintendent of California Public School System (1860s)

"After a child has arrived at the legal age for attending school,-whether he be the child of noble or of peasant,-the only two absolute grounds of exemption from attendance are sickness and death." – Horace Mann, Life and Works of Horace Mann: Vol. III

"Every teacher should realize he is a social servant set apart for the maintenance of the proper social order and the securing of the right social growth. In this way, the teacher always is the prophet of the true God and the usherer-in of the true Kingdom of God." – John Dewey, American educator

"It is the absolute right of the State to supervise the formation of public opinion." – Joseph Goebbels, Nazi Germany

"Let our pupil be taught that he does not belong to himself, but that he is public property. Let him be taught to love his family, but let him be taught at the same time that he must forsake and even forget them when the welfare of his country requires it." – Benjamin Rush, "Thoughts Upon the Mode of Education Proper in a Republic"

"Our schools have been scientifically designed to prevent over-education from happening. The average American [should be] content with their humble role in life, because they're not tempted to think about any other role." – William T. Harris, U.S. Commissioner of Education, 1889

"Teachers are directed to instruct their pupils... and to awaken in them a sense of their responsibility toward the community of the nation." –Bernhard Rust, Nazi Minister of Education, from "Racial Instruction and the National Community," 1935

"The children who know how to think for themselves spoil the harmony of the collective society which is coming, where everyone would be interdependent." – John Dewey, American educator

"We who are engaged in the sacred cause of education are entitled to look upon all parents as having given hostages to our cause." - Horace Mann, first secretary of education in the Commonwealth of Massachusetts

"If you can, help others; if you cannot do that, at least do not harm them." - Dalai Lama

Support School Survival on Patreon or Donate Bitcoin Here: 1Q5WCcxWjayniaL92b8GfXBiGdfjmnUNa2
"Believe those who are seeking the truth. Doubt those who find it." - André Paul Guillaume Gide
"The true sign of intelligence is not knowledge but imagination." - Albert Einstein
"I'm pretty sure there's a lot of beauty that can only be found in the mind of a lunatic." - TheCancer

Hidden stuff:
06-13-2007 05:12 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
payback123 Offline
Revolutionary

Given 2 thank(s) in 1 post(s)

Haha, you're awesome
06-18-2007 04:31 AM
Unregistered

Rant Ahoy!

I'm seriously pissed off right now. I just did my triology exam which I probably failed which means I probably failed the class. Fuck. And I got back my cult assignment which I also failed. Fuck.

What really pisses me off is the utter stupidity of her marking of my assignment.

Supposedly I didn't show why it is considered a cult. I wonder what "the aim was to create subservient workers and soldiers not to truly educate" is supposed to mean, retard.

I also supposedly didn't show why people would be attracted to it. Hmm, could it be: "having almost the entire population raised in the school system creates massive social pressure"? Nah.

She comments that I have "lots of quotes but little analysis." What the fuck am I supposed to do on a poster? Write an essay and paste it on?

"Your poster did not meet the criteria on the rubric." No, you just didn't have all the information put under neat little categories. It's called thinking, do it sometime.

She attached this letter type thing:

Quote:Throughout the semester you have made your disdain for structured education very clear. However, it is a reality and you need to work within it. You need to use your obvious intelligence and creativity to make the system work for you, as you did in your teenage brain essay. You could have applied this same form of creativity and still worked to achieve the criteria of all your assignments. This is where you can be successful and still work within the structure of organized education.

Society itself is a system of organized structures and hierarchies within which we have to work whether or not we like it, With no structure, there would be minimal accomplishment as Kurt Lewin showed in his leadership experiment. Humans are social animals and we need to work together for survival, even if it means conforming to some extent.

Quote:you have made your disdain for structured education very clear
Since when? I have never opposed structure, education, or structured education. I oppose this retarded school system which does not benefit anybody except the ruling classes.

Quote:it is a reality and you need to work within it
It is a reality only because people support it. If it's not right, don't participate in it.

Quote:You need to use your obvious intelligence and creativity to make the system work for you
I don't want the system to work for me. I want to destroy the system.

Quote:With no structure, there would be minimal accomplishment as Kurt Lewin showed in his leadership experiment.
First, Lewin's experiment was on children not teenagers or adults. Second, I have never opposed structure.

Quote:Humans are social animals and we need to work together for survival, even if it means conforming to some extent.
No shit Sherlock.
06-19-2007 12:35 AM
Freak Offline
Fanatic

Given 14 thank(s) in 10 post(s)

Go to the principal, show show him it.
Or go to your teacher and tell her everything you just told us. EVERYTHING. (minus the swearing)

[Image: ambnh8.jpg]
06-19-2007 04:20 AM
Unregistered

I'm just going to email her. The only reason I'm going to school right now is to finish my last couple of exams.
06-19-2007 04:56 AM
SoulRiser Offline
Site Founder

She sounds pretty biased in favour of the school system, I guess that's how she missed all your points... much the same way most people do, I guess...

Is it can be tiem to raise some hell now? Evil

Hidden stuff:
06-19-2007 05:00 AM
Unregistered

It's interesting how she said earlier in the year that we only remember 7% of stuff from school. My question is: why do we have to go through all this homework and test bullshit if we only remember a fraction of it? Wouldn't it be better to teach skills in a less boring and stressful way?
06-19-2007 05:09 AM
SoulRiser Offline
Site Founder

If she actually said that... ... hmm.

Maybe she just didn't like being accused of being part of a cult Laugh

Hidden stuff:
06-19-2007 05:27 AM
Darthmat Offline
Fanatic

Given 41 thank(s) in 35 post(s)

WHAT A BITCH!.. what better way to destroy self esteem then to destroy your creative and correct work with half assed corrections (im writing taht under the context that u dont know her corrections are half assed and u dot have strong views in your opinions.. like if u were another student) did she think of that? NO! u should have a loong conversation with her about this. if the number1 post whore on ths website cant convince her.. no1 can

I highly suggest Mobb Deep's albums The Infamous and Hell on Earth, if you have not listened to it yet.
06-19-2007 06:54 AM

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  School's labeling us as a cult? Absnt 12 3,666 03-13-2012 02:00 PM
Last Post: Faroven