RIP School Survival Forums
August 2001 - June 2017

The School Survival Forums are permanently retired. If you need help with quitting school, unsupportive parents or anything else, there is a list of resources on the Help Page.

If you want to write about your experiences in school, you can write on our blog.

To everyone who joined these forums at some point, and got discouraged by the negativity and left after a while (or even got literally scared off): I'm sorry.

I wasn't good enough at encouraging people to be kinder, and removing people who refuse to be kind. Encouraging people is hard, and removing people creates conflict, and I hate conflict... so that's why I wasn't better at it.

I was a very, very sensitive teen. The atmosphere of this forum as it is now, if it had existed in 1996, would probably have upset me far more than it would have helped.

I can handle quite a lot of negativity and even abuse now, but that isn't the point. I want to help people. I want to help the people who need it the most, and I want to help people like the 1996 version of me.

I'm still figuring out the best way to do that, but as it is now, these forums are doing more harm than good, and I can't keep running them.

Thank you to the few people who have tried to understand my point of view so far. I really, really appreciate you guys. You are beautiful people.

Everyone else: If after everything I've said so far, you still don't understand my motivations, I think it's unlikely that you will. We're just too different. Maybe someday in the future it might make sense, but until then, there's no point in arguing about it. I don't have the time or the energy for arguing anymore. I will focus my time and energy on people who support me, and those who need help.

-SoulRiser

The forums are mostly read-only and are in a maintenance/testing phase, before being permanently archived. Please use this time to get the contact details of people you'd like to keep in touch with. My contact details are here.

Please do not make a mirror copy of the forums in their current state - things will still change, and some people have requested to be able to edit or delete some of their personal info.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
"How did you feel?"
payback123 Offline
Revolutionary

Given 2 thank(s) in 1 post(s)
"How did you feel?"

Hey,

We were doing some dumbass book report (on a book the teacher forced us to read) and then gave us a dumbass sheet to fill out. What pissed me off was one of the questions. It said "How did you feel when so and so died?" and I just thought "I didn't give two shits, honestly, it's a book that I have no interest in reading I could care less" maybe if it was a book that...oh...maybe I picked, than I would care. Imagine that? me being able to pick a damn book of my choice, wouldn't that be unique?

and then to top it off, the teacher says I can't write that. But fuck him, what does he want me to lie? great teaching there pal.
08-27-2007 03:38 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Darthmat Offline
Fanatic

Given 41 thank(s) in 35 post(s)

asshole. if thats the way you felt write it no matter what.

I highly suggest Mobb Deep's albums The Infamous and Hell on Earth, if you have not listened to it yet.
08-27-2007 03:42 AM
NiteRaidah Offline
hmmm

Given 44 thank(s) in 31 post(s)

Write that, or write some overblown, over-emotional dirge about how life as you knew it ended when the character in question died.

"All these computers and digital gadgets are no good. They just fill your head with numbers and that can't be good for you."
-Prince

[Image: USVWSwj.png]
08-27-2007 03:46 AM
Darthmat Offline
Fanatic

Laugh good idea.

I highly suggest Mobb Deep's albums The Infamous and Hell on Earth, if you have not listened to it yet.
08-27-2007 03:49 AM
SoulRiser Offline
Site Founder

Given 1978 thank(s) in 1208 post(s)

NiteRaidah Wrote:Write that, or write some overblown, over-emotional dirge about how life as you knew it ended when the character in question died.

Laugh
Sounds like fun.

Or you could say you always hated that character's guts and write some deeply disturbing account of how overjoyed you were at his horrible demise. But that might get you in trouble too Rolleyes

"If you can, help others; if you cannot do that, at least do not harm them." - Dalai Lama
Help & Support - Get help with leaving school, unsupportive parents, and more.
Click here if school makes you depressed or suicidal

Support School Survival on Patreon or Donate Bitcoin Here: 1Q5WCcxWjayniaL92b8GfXBiGdfjmnUNa2
"Believe those who are seeking the truth. Doubt those who find it." - André Paul Guillaume Gide
"The true sign of intelligence is not knowledge but imagination." - Albert Einstein
"I'm pretty sure there's a lot of beauty that can only be found in the mind of a lunatic." - TheCancer
EIPD - Emotionally Incompetent Parent Disorder

Push Button for Collection of Useful Links:
Hidden stuff:
08-27-2007 04:41 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Darthmat Offline
Fanatic

DO THAT!!!

08-27-2007 04:52 AM
payback123 Offline
Revolutionary

Yeah, it's not the trouble I care about, it's seeing the look on his face
08-27-2007 04:56 AM
Darthmat Offline
Fanatic

Biggrin then do it man. do it. Biggrin

08-27-2007 05:00 AM
Unregistered

Given thank(s) in post(s)

Luckily my last English teacher was awesome. Since grade six I had gotten barely above 50% in English but then in grade 11 I got a teacher who got us to think and write what we wanted.
08-27-2007 10:49 AM
Quote this message in a reply
payback123 Offline
Revolutionary

Ha, last year we had to read a book (that the teacher made us read) and one of the many assignments was to do a review on it. Naturally, I thought it sucked so I wrote what a piece of shit it turned out to be. She gave me a D and told me to get it signed by my parents. One of her comments was for me to redo it. I said I wasn't going to. My parents told me to redo it to, eventually I did, but I made it exactly how you described, long and over blown. one of my lines was actually "I wish every book I read was as good as this one"
08-27-2007 12:26 PM
délivrance Offline
Renegade

Given 0 thank(s) in 0 post(s)

yup, the ol' "how do you feel" question. I'm like most people on this forum: if a character dies, i don't give a shit because chances are i didn't like the book to start with.
08-27-2007 01:06 PM
Darthmat Offline
Fanatic

payback123 Wrote:Ha, last year we had to read a book (that the teacher made us read) and one of the many assignments was to do a review on it. Naturally, I thought it sucked so I wrote what a piece of shit it turned out to be. She gave me a D and told me to get it signed by my parents. One of her comments was for me to redo it. I said I wasn't going to. My parents told me to redo it to, eventually I did, but I made it exactly how you described, long and over blown. one of my lines was actually "I wish every book I read was as good as this one"
I GET SO PISSED WHEN I READ CRAP LIKE THIS!!!!! WTF, YOU EXPRESSED YOUR OPINION AND IF YOU DID IT PROPERLY IT SHUOLD BE AN A!!!!! ASSHOLES!!!!!

08-27-2007 11:22 PM
Chuplayer Offline
Renegade

Given 1 thank(s) in 1 post(s)
Re: "How did you feel?"

payback123 Wrote:Hey,

We were doing some dumbass book report (on a book the teacher forced us to read) and then gave us a dumbass sheet to fill out. What pissed me off was one of the questions. It said "How did you feel when so and so died?" and I just thought "I didn't give two shits, honestly, it's a book that I have no interest in reading I could care less" maybe if it was a book that...oh...maybe I picked, than I would care. Imagine that? me being able to pick a damn book of my choice, wouldn't that be unique?

and then to top it off, the teacher says I can't write that. But fuck him, what does he want me to lie? great teaching there pal.

I always hated questions like this. I always wrote "I felt sorry for so-and-so." I never had a real answer. I hardly ever felt anything while reading stuff in class.
08-27-2007 11:48 PM
tock172 Offline
Revolutionary

After a while in our reading circles, years back, I just said fuck it. I would right total bullshit on the paper that didn't even make sense to read.

"One cannot make a difference if one cannot express opinions properly" -Eric Harris
08-30-2007 07:08 AM
WildFire Offline
Fanatic

I had cool Literature teachers last year. I didnt finsih a project that was kinda big, but they still gave me a B. Although they picked out the books, they usually consulted what kind of books we like before they pick the books out.

[Image: ninjawarrior.jpg]
08-30-2007 01:42 PM
Darthmat Offline
Fanatic

OMG. thay actually seems like an idea a shool could agree to.

08-30-2007 02:06 PM
Hamish Offline
Rebel

Haha I hate reading

And guess what? In assembly they said there going to have…

“Inspired to read week!”

Well as I said somewhere in here:
http://www.school-survival.net/phpbb/vi ... php?t=4461

I love to test the rules.

The teachers are forcing us to get a book, and read it for 20 min.

At least we get to pick our own book, but I don’t like reading. So lets see what happens if I refuse to read.

And I’ve decided if she tells me to go to the library and get a book, I’m going to get some Dr. seus! Or whatever other 5 year old books there are Razz

All the losers and zeros are my personal heroes.
08-30-2007 08:55 PM
Darthmat Offline
Fanatic

HOW CAN YOU NOT LIKE TO READ!?!?!!?

08-30-2007 10:40 PM
Unregistered

Given thank(s) in post(s)

I don't like to read all of the time. Sometimes I read a lot. Sometimes I read a little.
08-31-2007 11:44 AM
Quote this message in a reply
Hamish Offline
Rebel

Don’t know. I just don’t like reading, period. lol

Banana

All the losers and zeros are my personal heroes.
08-31-2007 12:00 PM
Will Offline
Fanatic

Given 29 thank(s) in 16 post(s)

Hamish Wrote:Haha I hate reading

And guess what? In assembly they said there going to have…

“Inspired to read week!”

Well as I said somewhere in here:
http://www.school-survival.net/phpbb/vi ... php?t=4461

I love to test the rules.

The teachers are forcing us to get a book, and read it for 20 min.

At least we get to pick our own book, but I don’t like reading. So lets see what happens if I refuse to read.

And I’ve decided if she tells me to go to the library and get a book, I’m going to get some Dr. seus! Or whatever other 5 year old books there are Razz
Even better: Anything by Alfie Kohn, John Holt or John Taylor Gatto, something in a foreign language, or something that will make any written assignment they give you not work, like a dictionary or a good textbook
08-31-2007 03:38 PM
tock172 Offline
Revolutionary

When I have a good book, I get in trouble for reading too much. If I have a book that I hate or disagree with, I really just want to through it out the window.

"One cannot make a difference if one cannot express opinions properly" -Eric Harris
08-31-2007 06:22 PM
randyhart Offline
Revolutionary

Read a more mature less teen aimed book like Silence of the Lambs and Hannibal Lecter since these are both interesting, you could give some awesome opinions on it sounding like your Cuckoo

The World seemed to all make sense but that sense seemed to slowly fade now in 11th grade
08-31-2007 07:34 PM
Darthmat Offline
Fanatic

DARREN SHAN!!!!!!!!

http://darrenshan.com/

08-31-2007 11:05 PM
Trekkie_Aspie Offline
Fanatic

Given 120 thank(s) in 87 post(s)

Yeh...I know he's a fictional character in a fictional book/film.

Seriously, who cares?

If I seem rude to you, please call me on it gently.
One thing (among many others) school couldn't teach you.

((Google Asperger's Syndrome))

stupid article
09-01-2007 05:37 AM
Darthmat Offline
Fanatic

we wre suggesting books for Hamish, and Darren Sha is also the author, and has a new seiries that is almost as good as the first, tahst howgodo it is,

09-01-2007 06:11 AM