RIP School Survival Forums
August 2001 - June 2017

The School Survival Forums are permanently retired. If you need help with quitting school, unsupportive parents or anything else, there is a list of resources on the Help Page.

If you want to write about your experiences in school, you can write on our blog.

To everyone who joined these forums at some point, and got discouraged by the negativity and left after a while (or even got literally scared off): I'm sorry.

I wasn't good enough at encouraging people to be kinder, and removing people who refuse to be kind. Encouraging people is hard, and removing people creates conflict, and I hate conflict... so that's why I wasn't better at it.

I was a very, very sensitive teen. The atmosphere of this forum as it is now, if it had existed in 1996, would probably have upset me far more than it would have helped.

I can handle quite a lot of negativity and even abuse now, but that isn't the point. I want to help people. I want to help the people who need it the most, and I want to help people like the 1996 version of me.

I'm still figuring out the best way to do that, but as it is now, these forums are doing more harm than good, and I can't keep running them.

Thank you to the few people who have tried to understand my point of view so far. I really, really appreciate you guys. You are beautiful people.

Everyone else: If after everything I've said so far, you still don't understand my motivations, I think it's unlikely that you will. We're just too different. Maybe someday in the future it might make sense, but until then, there's no point in arguing about it. I don't have the time or the energy for arguing anymore. I will focus my time and energy on people who support me, and those who need help.

-SoulRiser

The forums are mostly read-only and are in a maintenance/testing phase, before being permanently archived. Please use this time to get the contact details of people you'd like to keep in touch with. My contact details are here.

Please do not make a mirror copy of the forums in their current state - things will still change, and some people have requested to be able to edit or delete some of their personal info.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
School Shootings in Finland.
Coma Girl Offline
Pariah

Given 4 thank(s) in 4 post(s)
School Shootings in Finland.

[note: i wasnt too sure which thread to put this in, feel free to move it somewhere else]

(this had been copied and pasted from a website.)

who said the gunman was a pupil at the school, said he saw a woman's body as he fled the building.

"Then my pupils shouted at me out of the windows to ask what they should do and I told them to jump out of the windows ... and all my pupils were saved," Mr Kiuru said.

Police evacuated students from the building, which houses a middle and high school with more than 400 students.

The shooting came just hours after a video was posted on the YouTube website predicting a school massacre.

The video, which has now been removed from YouTube, showed a photograph of a school that appears to be Jokela high school. The photo then fragments to reveal a red-tinted picture of a man pointing a gun at the camera.

The clip, entitled "Jokela High School Massacre - 11/7/2007", was posted by a user called Sturmgeist89, believed to be Auvinen. Sturmgeist means storm spirit in German.

An accompanying profile stated he was an "antisocial social Darwinist". He went on: "I am prepared to fight and die for my cause. I, as a natural selector, will eliminate all who I see unfit, disgraces of human race and failures of natural selection."

He also wrote how he hoped "my actions will inspire all the intelligent people of the world and start some sort of revolution against the current systems".

The writer listed his occupation as "unemployed philosopher" and said misanthropy was among his hobbies. Police chief Matti Tohkanen said he was from "an ordinary family".

The shooting will inevitably raise comparisons with Cho Seung-Hui, the gunman who killed 33 people, including himself, when he went on a rampage on the Virginia Tech campus in the US in April. He sent a videotaped message to NBC news in which he attempted to justify the murders.

The Finnish prime minister, Matti Vanhanen, described the situation as "extremely tragic" and said the government would hold an emergency meeting. Despite having the third largest per capita ratio of handgun ownership in the world, violent incidents are rare at Finnish schools.

According to Finnish media, there have been four stabbings at schools since 1999 but none of these were fatal. The last major attack in the country came in 2002 when a young man killed himself and six others in a bomb blast at a shopping mall in Helsinki

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

(and another thing posted from another website)

However, today self-loathing is underwritten by a powerful cultural script of misanthrophy; by a cultural outlook which sees humanity as a polluter rather than a problem-solver. It strikes me that Pekka-Eric Auvinen, who has been named as the Finnish school shooter who yesterday killed his headmistress, seven fellow pupils and then himself, may have been acting out this cultural script.

Online, Auvinen went by the name Sturmgeist89. In the various YouTube videos and the 1,000-word manifesto that have been credited to him, he sent out a straightforward message. He declared that ‘not all human lives are important or worth saving’.

In one video he wore a t-shirt that said ‘Humanity is overrated’. This chilling slogan does not come from some violent Hollywood movie or gangsta rap track - which are usually blamed for sending young people off the rails - but rather from the critically-acclaimed US drama House, in which British actor Hugh Laurie plays a cynical doctor who works in the field of infectious diseases. Indeed, you can buy ‘Humanity is overrated’ t-shirts from the House website here.

Auvinen described himself as an ‘anti-human humanist’ - he must have known that this sentiment would resonate with many of his peers who, like schoolchildren across Europe, will likely have been educated to hate themselves and their fellow human beings; to see humanity as something of a plague on the planet, which is how one leading British intellectual describes us (1).

Ok, i do believe that going on a voilent rampage isnt the answer, and i dont understand what he did it for, i was wondering if any of you guys knew why he did it? He talked about a revolution too, and something about a revolution against the system.....

Similarly, Cho Seung-Hui, the American student who massacred 32 students and teachers at Virginia Tech in America in April, expressed some rather mainstream anti-human and anti-consumerist ideas in his rambling manifestos. He berated his fellow students for their ‘Mercedes…golden necklaces…and trust funds’, and attacked their ‘hedonistic’ lifestyles (2).

In many ways, while Auvinen may have been a lone gunman, he was not acting alone. Rather, contemporary Western culture continually instructs people to believe that humans are a dreadful and destructive species. Increasingly, humans are represented as parasites on all other life-forms. Today, human activity is rarely presented in its classical transformative, creative and progressive form; instead, the term ‘human impact’ is used by environmentalists to indict humanity.

We the public are always being told that there are too many of us inhabiting the planet. As I have argued previously on spiked, ‘There is an increasingly popular idea that there is too much human life around, and that it is killing planet Earth’ (3). Having a large family is looked upon as an ‘eco-crime’, while the solution put forward for Africa, and increasingly for the West too, is ‘population control’ (4).

Reducing the number of human beings is extolled as an ethical imperative to save the world from humanity. Is it possible that, in declaring a one-man ‘war against humanity’ and against the ‘weak-minded masses’, an impressionable 18-year-old in Finland may have been trying to do his bit the save the planet?

Frank Furedi’s Invitation To Terrorism: The Expanding Empire of The Unknown is published by Continuum and will be reviewed in the November issue of the spiked review of books. (Buy this book from Amazon(UK).) Visit Frank’s website here.

"People often compete to be considered right rather than collaborating to find the real answer."-Will.

[Image: %210kickme.jpg]
11-08-2007 11:06 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
payback123 Offline
Revolutionary

Given 2 thank(s) in 1 post(s)

"I, as a natural selector, will eliminate all who I see unfit, disgraces of human race and failures of natural selection."

Yeah, well, he certainly did that, it's just too bad he took seven other people with him.

If anything I see him as a disgrace to the human race, solving his problems by killing. What exactly is a "disgrace to the human race?" anyway?I don't see him killing drug-dealers, serial killers, child molesters etc....(not exactly saying they're a disgrace but you'd think they would have made a bigger impact than students)
11-08-2007 11:15 PM
OmegaWolf747 Offline
Revolutionary

I suppose now Finland will put metal detectors in all its schools.

@silverfang1977
11-09-2007 01:42 AM
HeartofShadows Offline
Fanatic

Given 80 thank(s) in 73 post(s)

Somehow video games will be declared the problem. Well at least another hitler got taken out.

[Image: WARZONES_subs_hostility.png]
image hosting jpg
11-09-2007 01:49 AM
roberterher Offline
Revolutionary

Given 3 thank(s) in 2 post(s)

I don't understand all that this guy means, but the world is overpopulated, that's true. Don't think I would go kill a bunch of people though, the earth will take care of that naturally when the population reaches a certain point. Global warming could be the end, if not, a powerful virus will destroy humanity. Maybe a few survives, then we start over from the stone age. Anyway, this guy's actions didn't help anyone.

I hate the teachers and the principal
Don't wanna be taught to be no fool
Rock, rock, rock, rock, rock'n'roll high school
11-09-2007 02:46 AM
roberterher Offline
Revolutionary

Heart of shadows Wrote:Somehow video games will be declared the problem. Well at least another hitler got taken out.

Another hitler? This guy is nothing like hitler.

11-09-2007 02:48 AM
SoulRiser Offline
Site Founder

Given 1978 thank(s) in 1208 post(s)

MikEms found this somewhere... apparently he posted on 4chan about it before he did it.
[Image: Pq11ahKS.jpg]

"If you can, help others; if you cannot do that, at least do not harm them." - Dalai Lama
Help & Support - Get help with leaving school, unsupportive parents, and more.
Click here if school makes you depressed or suicidal

Support School Survival on Patreon or Donate Bitcoin Here: 1Q5WCcxWjayniaL92b8GfXBiGdfjmnUNa2
"Believe those who are seeking the truth. Doubt those who find it." - André Paul Guillaume Gide
"The true sign of intelligence is not knowledge but imagination." - Albert Einstein
"I'm pretty sure there's a lot of beauty that can only be found in the mind of a lunatic." - TheCancer
EIPD - Emotionally Incompetent Parent Disorder

Push Button for Collection of Useful Links:
Hidden stuff:
11-09-2007 02:51 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
HeartofShadows Offline
Fanatic

Given 80 thank(s) in 73 post(s)

roberterher Wrote:
Heart of shadows Wrote:Somehow video games will be declared the problem. Well at least another hitler got taken out.

It said hitler believed in the superior race and killing off the weaker ones.

Damn he really did say he was going to do it.
Seems like he got alot of nice responses for it.

[Image: WARZONES_subs_hostility.png]
image hosting jpg
11-09-2007 04:08 AM
thoughtmaker Offline
Pariah

Given 10 thank(s) in 9 post(s)

i don't agree with what he did, but i do agree with what he was saying. humanity is going down the shit tubes. there are a lot of people who are just plain dumb. i think this kid just got tired of living in today's world with all of it's problems (a thing we can relate to because of school) and decided to make the world a 'better place'.
11-09-2007 04:30 AM
roberterher Offline
Revolutionary

Heart of shadows Wrote:
roberterher Wrote:

It said hitler believed in the superior race and killing off the weaker ones.

But this guy just killed whoever got in his way right?
Didn't have any specific ideas about who are the weak?
Also, he didn't want to take over the world, he just wanted to make a point and then disappear.

11-09-2007 04:59 AM
Darthmat Offline
Fanatic

Given 41 thank(s) in 35 post(s)

SoulRiser Wrote:MikEms found this somewhere... apparently he posted on 4chan about it before he did it.
[Image: Pq11ahKS.jpg]
OMG... that's sickening.. they rooted for him to do it.... omg.... there are soem really sick bastards out there.

I highly suggest Mobb Deep's albums The Infamous and Hell on Earth, if you have not listened to it yet.
11-09-2007 05:12 AM
Rebelnerd Offline
Fanatic

Given 113 thank(s) in 97 post(s)

they probably didn't think he was serious.

I think Buenaventura Durruti is a pretty cool guy. eh kills fascists and doesnt afraid of ruins.
The quickest way to kill a revolution is to wait for it.
11-09-2007 07:03 AM
Darthmat Offline
Fanatic

Who cares, just joking about killing peopel when teh person has a gun in their hand is wrong, you have no idea if they are joking.

I bet they regret it now.

I highly suggest Mobb Deep's albums The Infamous and Hell on Earth, if you have not listened to it yet.
11-09-2007 07:14 AM
Darkstripe Offline
Renegade

Given 1 thank(s) in 1 post(s)

Disgusting. I hate hearing about these school shootings! It's not right. Even if these people dislike school to, part of the reason why they do it, killing will never be the answer! This is horrible.
11-09-2007 07:38 AM
.xstrike-anywherex. Offline
Revolutionary

Given 21 thank(s) in 9 post(s)

thoughtmaker Wrote:i don't agree with what he did, but i do agree with what he was saying. humanity is going down the shit tubes. there are a lot of people who are just plain dumb. i think this kid just got tired of living in today's world with all of it's problems (a thing we can relate to because of school) and decided to make the world a 'better place'.

I understand too. While I would never go on a shooting spree, I agree with him that there are far too many stupid people out there. But I don't want to see them killed, I just want them to leave me alone.
11-09-2007 09:42 AM
Darthmat Offline
Fanatic

Oh.

but how can they not feel guilt, even if the are anonomyous.

11-09-2007 11:22 AM
Pyrokinetic_Punker Offline
Revolutionary

Given 1 thank(s) in 1 post(s)

OmegaWolf747 Wrote:I suppose now Finland will put metal detectors in all its schools.

isn't it weird that they try to stop school shootings by making it impossible for them to bring a gun to school instead of making the students not want to shoot people in the first place? maybe they should actually do something about bullying, there are all these posters at my school saying they have a zero tolerance towards bullying but I still see it happening. I see people punching other kids in the hallway and teachers just walk by, it's awful.

I got teased a lot at my old school so much that I left. I still get teased now but at least I have friends at this school. I just think schools could do so much to help depressed children but don't. In Health class we're learning about mental illness and we had a work sheet on depression and it said the leading cause of depression in highschoolers is school and school work. Then my teacher goes on about how terrible depression is and how suicide rates are increasing and shit and they can so easily take away the leading cause, by not giving us homework...
11-09-2007 11:57 AM
arthasmenethil Offline
Fanatic

Given 9 thank(s) in 8 post(s)

There should be a poll on anything about a school shooting.

"What will the media blame this time?"

Video games-likely
music-likely
parents-not as likely
the school's lack of doing anything to prevent this- not a chance

Hidden stuff:
The game...you lost! HAHAHAHA!!!!
11-09-2007 12:02 PM
Coma Girl Offline
Pariah

i just think that he could have made a point in a much better way. Even though i dont really understand his point fully, shooting is wrong, especially shooting yourself at the end of itl

"People often compete to be considered right rather than collaborating to find the real answer."-Will.

[Image: %210kickme.jpg]
11-09-2007 09:36 PM
X Offline
Revolutionary

Given 0 thank(s) in 0 post(s)

School Shooters = My Idols
Just my personal opinion.....
11-10-2007 06:47 AM
Darthmat Offline
Fanatic

That's horrible.

Murderers aren't great people.

11-10-2007 06:48 AM
X Offline
Revolutionary

darthmat Wrote:That's horrible.

Murderers aren't great people.
Indeed They Are Not
but bullies are not great people either
11-10-2007 06:49 AM
Darthmat Offline
Fanatic

But they don't deserve to be killed.

11-10-2007 06:56 AM
X Offline
Revolutionary

darthmat Wrote:But they don't deserve to be killed.
Why Should i let someone live
He Constantly Does The Following To Me:
-Torment during passing periods
-Push Me Around Like A piece of Trash
-Embrasse me in front of girls
-Who Think They Are better then me, in all aspects

Obviously that have no feelings towards what im feeling, through the torment they bring upon me

THey have no right to walk the face of this earth
11-10-2007 07:09 AM
Darthmat Offline
Fanatic

You just have to get them to stop someway somehow.

Killing is not the answer in this case.

11-10-2007 07:11 AM
SoulRiser Offline
Site Founder

I got bullied all the time too, and I hated those people. I fantasized about killing them quite often. Now, years later, I heard that some of them are actually nice people now. (I heard this info from someone who also got bullied by them, so I'm guessing it's true).

If I (or someone else) had killed 'em, they wouldn't have gotten the chance to change their ways.

"If you can, help others; if you cannot do that, at least do not harm them." - Dalai Lama

Support School Survival on Patreon or Donate Bitcoin Here: 1Q5WCcxWjayniaL92b8GfXBiGdfjmnUNa2
"Believe those who are seeking the truth. Doubt those who find it." - André Paul Guillaume Gide
"The true sign of intelligence is not knowledge but imagination." - Albert Einstein
"I'm pretty sure there's a lot of beauty that can only be found in the mind of a lunatic." - TheCancer

Hidden stuff:
11-11-2007 01:37 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
mudkip liek Offline
Fanatic

Given 10 thank(s) in 7 post(s)

TheBlackDesperado Wrote:
darthmat Wrote:But they don't deserve to be killed.
Why Should i let someone live
He Constantly Does The Following To Me:
-Torment during passing periods
-Push Me Around Like A piece of Trash
-Embrasse me in front of girls
-Who Think They Are better then me, in all aspects

Obviously that have no feelings towards what im feeling, through the torment they bring upon me

THey have no right to walk the face of this earth

No offense, but suck it up! Seriously, you don't know how many times I've been treated like that. Even worse actually. But I never became a school shooter, nor do I want to become. I don't think they deserve to die. That's a little harsh. It's not like you've never been mean to someone before.

I do admit though, I used to think of ways to kill them.

By the way, this guy who shot all those people makes atheists look bad.
11-11-2007 02:07 AM
SoulRiser Offline
Site Founder

Quote:No offense, but suck it up!

You're not helping. I'm sure you know how horrible it feels to be treated that way, so how would you like it if someone said you should just "suck it up"? I'm all for trying to make the problem go away, but shooting people isn't a solution. Neither is "sucking it up". Though, I'm not really sure what that's supposed to mean... does that mean you're supposed to just accept it?

Hidden stuff:
11-11-2007 03:44 AM
arthasmenethil Offline
Fanatic

Given 9 thank(s) in 8 post(s)

Quote:I'm not really sure what that's supposed to mean... does that mean you're supposed to just accept it?

I believe that suck it up does mean to accept it.

Hidden stuff:
The game...you lost! HAHAHAHA!!!!
11-11-2007 05:44 AM
mudkip liek Offline
Fanatic

Given 10 thank(s) in 7 post(s)

SoulRiser Wrote:
Quote:No offense, but suck it up!

You're not helping. I'm sure you know how horrible it feels to be treated that way, so how would you like it if someone said you should just "suck it up"? I'm all for trying to make the problem go away, but shooting people isn't a solution. Neither is "sucking it up". Though, I'm not really sure what that's supposed to mean... does that mean you're supposed to just accept it?

Yeah, it means you're supposed to accept it. Because it won't just "go away" by itself. It's like "OMG I GET BULLIED SO I MUST KILL THEM!" Seriously, it's not THAT much of a big deal. I've been there, I know how it feels because I came home crying every single day. It feels horrible and I just wanted to crawl in a hole and die. But it isn't all the bullies' fault. If you let their words and actions get to you, you're making it worse for yourself. And I wasn't trying to help by saying suck it up. I was just trying to say what was on my mind.

And I would actually like it if someone said that to me, because I say it to myself all the time. People still talk about me behind my back and I know this because I've heard a lot of the things they've said. But I just tell myself not to care about it. Who are they to me anyway? They don't know me, and I don't know them. So I just don't care. Killing them should be the last thing anyone should think of in a situation like this.

Sorry if I sounded mean.
11-11-2007 11:51 AM

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Finland's reform in education isolatedsystem 5 2,932 07-08-2015 09:17 AM
Last Post: Ilija.m
  School Shootings metallica86 17 7,130 02-02-2014 11:35 AM
Last Post: xcriteria
  School shootings ..V.. 22 7,470 03-17-2013 07:05 AM
Last Post: brainiac3397
  Finland Alistoriv 9 4,927 03-13-2013 07:19 PM
Last Post: brainiac3397
Rainbow School shootings, and alarmist warnings Mælstrom 3 2,259 12-18-2012 10:45 AM
Last Post: Ky
  School Shootings Miller0700 105 23,331 11-16-2011 10:28 AM
Last Post: UnschoolShqiponjë
  School Shootings Articles Doc Johnson 11 3,888 05-02-2007 05:37 AM
Last Post: Bob Dole