RIP School Survival Forums
August 2001 - June 2017

The School Survival Forums are permanently retired. If you need help with quitting school, unsupportive parents or anything else, there is a list of resources on the Help Page.

If you want to write about your experiences in school, you can write on our blog.

To everyone who joined these forums at some point, and got discouraged by the negativity and left after a while (or even got literally scared off): I'm sorry.

I wasn't good enough at encouraging people to be kinder, and removing people who refuse to be kind. Encouraging people is hard, and removing people creates conflict, and I hate conflict... so that's why I wasn't better at it.

I was a very, very sensitive teen. The atmosphere of this forum as it is now, if it had existed in 1996, would probably have upset me far more than it would have helped.

I can handle quite a lot of negativity and even abuse now, but that isn't the point. I want to help people. I want to help the people who need it the most, and I want to help people like the 1996 version of me.

I'm still figuring out the best way to do that, but as it is now, these forums are doing more harm than good, and I can't keep running them.

Thank you to the few people who have tried to understand my point of view so far. I really, really appreciate you guys. You are beautiful people.

Everyone else: If after everything I've said so far, you still don't understand my motivations, I think it's unlikely that you will. We're just too different. Maybe someday in the future it might make sense, but until then, there's no point in arguing about it. I don't have the time or the energy for arguing anymore. I will focus my time and energy on people who support me, and those who need help.

-SoulRiser

The forums are mostly read-only and are in a maintenance/testing phase, before being permanently archived. Please use this time to get the contact details of people you'd like to keep in touch with. My contact details are here.

Please do not make a mirror copy of the forums in their current state - things will still change, and some people have requested to be able to edit or delete some of their personal info.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Hey, I'M a Teacher!!!!!!!
Knobby Walsh Offline
Rebel

Given 0 thank(s) in 0 post(s)
Hey, I'M a Teacher!!!!!!!

New here, obviously. A fellow poster of yours came over to a teacher forum I'm on and I guess I'm a sucker for seeing how people think - especially with a topic as radical as this!

I'm a teacher at an adult male prison - teaching felons in a maximum security situation. Great fun! I mostly worked with your "at risk" (misnomer) kids in the schools, but love what I'm doing now.

Anyhow, just wanted to say "hey" and whether I agree or disagree (or even come back to here), I commend you all for your speaking out. There ARE some serious problems with education, so I'm not suprised there's a forum like this.

Best - KW

"I never did give anybody hell. I just told the truth and they
thought it was hell." - President Harry S. Truman
12-09-2007 07:13 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
KittyKatBlack Offline
Resident Brony

Given 12 thank(s) in 6 post(s)

Welcome
12-09-2007 07:25 AM
SoulRiser Offline
Site Founder

Given 1978 thank(s) in 1208 post(s)

Hi there... welcome, and thanks for the kind words Smile

"If you can, help others; if you cannot do that, at least do not harm them." - Dalai Lama
Help & Support - Get help with leaving school, unsupportive parents, and more.
Click here if school makes you depressed or suicidal

Support School Survival on Patreon or Donate Bitcoin Here: 1Q5WCcxWjayniaL92b8GfXBiGdfjmnUNa2
"Believe those who are seeking the truth. Doubt those who find it." - André Paul Guillaume Gide
"The true sign of intelligence is not knowledge but imagination." - Albert Einstein
"I'm pretty sure there's a lot of beauty that can only be found in the mind of a lunatic." - TheCancer
EIPD - Emotionally Incompetent Parent Disorder

Push Button for Collection of Useful Links:
Hidden stuff:
12-09-2007 07:38 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Freak Offline
Fanatic

Given 14 thank(s) in 10 post(s)

Hey! Where's the welcoming pirates :/
Pirate There. (Inside joke)

Welcome, I'd actually like to hear about you're job etc.
We've only had one professor on here and he hasn't been on because he's been real busy trying to get his tenure >.<

[Image: ambnh8.jpg]
12-09-2007 07:55 AM
youvebeenthunderstruck Offline
Fanatic

Given 21 thank(s) in 19 post(s)

Yeah, where did the pirates go?

<lordpie> Life sucks so much right now. It seems I'm spending all of it doing math.
<Rosti_LFC> You are "Math Boy"
<Rosti_LFC> Doer of math
<Rosti_LFC> Unable to integrate with society. Only with functions of x
12-09-2007 08:28 AM
Suicidal-kun Offline
Fanatic

Given 19 thank(s) in 18 post(s)

Wolf on Mescaline Wrote:Driven out by the ninjas.
Damn straight. Oh and welcome! Welcome
12-09-2007 08:43 AM
Albatross Offline
Pariah

Given 2 thank(s) in 2 post(s)

good day to you sir
12-09-2007 08:53 AM
WildFire Offline
Fanatic

Given 1 thank(s) in 1 post(s)

Hello KW. Hope you will come to visit once and a while.

[Image: ninjawarrior.jpg]
12-09-2007 08:56 AM
Knobby Walsh Offline
Rebel

As a HUGE Three Stooges fan, my nickname (Knobby Walsh) was the part that Shemp played in old Joe Palooka films before he joined the Stooges after Curly. Hey, as a holder of a masters degree in history, there's your first history lesson from me! Hahahahahaha........

thunder - I saw your post over on the teacher's forum, so that's why I decided to test the waters over here. Boy, you all have some light weight crazy nicknames and signs and whatnot. That's cool.

I've only taught one year of "normal" high school and still have nightmares about it, and that was my first gig over 20 years ago! Since then, I did a decade teaching juvenile offenders in a county juvenile lock-up, did an out-of-school suspension school for 7 years, no, 8 years, and now I've landed at the prison, a natural progression.

Since I didn't grow up with a silver spoon up my ass, I guess I sort of gravitated toward working with kids/adults from the so-called "underbelly" of life. I did some coaching here and there and did a lot of tutoring troubled kids part-time as well.

I love history! I got my masters in it and did Civil War reenacting for 12 years. That's a real fun way to "teach" others as well as yourself. Got to work in a movie and had a chance (turned them down) to work in a couple other Civil War movies. DON'T FORGET YOUR HISTORY!!!! If I had to choose a biggest gripe about public schooling, it's that schools typically (not always, but typically) hire bone-headed football coaches to also teach history. No wonder kids can't stand it.

Anyway, that's my short dossier. What's the best thread to go to here - the most active?

12-09-2007 10:34 AM
Suicidal-kun Offline
Fanatic

Given 19 thank(s) in 18 post(s)

Well, at my school the football coach doesn't teach History, he teaches Algebra 2. And he's an annoying fuck, who acts Bi-polar.
12-09-2007 10:54 AM
WildFire Offline
Fanatic

My teacher actually became a coach after he became a math teacher, he was actually cool. That was last year, but he went on to teach 9th grade math, which a few of my friends are in.

As for the best threads, look into the Philosiphical Discussion Thread. there are tons of topics there, but otherwise, there are some topics scattered around people seem to post alot in. So feel free to explore around.

12-09-2007 11:02 AM
magikarp Offline
Valerie Solanas

Given 68 thank(s) in 47 post(s)

Welcome

Having an open mind is good.
All things in moderation
Gifted Kids
Global Warming
THE BORINGEST BOOKS EVER! (A lot of this is off-topic, but the last page is fairly good.)

These are a few recent threads that are (mostly) on-topic and worth reading.
12-09-2007 11:06 AM
Knobby Walsh Offline
Rebel

Thanks for the tips! Damn, I just realized I'm on what, around 8 forums currently!

Where can I get an introduction or, shall I say "primer" that can tell me what the overriding purpose is to this forum aside from "I hate school!" Who hasn't hated school at one point or another? What's the goal, objective?

Let me say to you right from the rip - if you are trying to get government(s) to make school optional, not compulsive, you have one hell of a fight on your hands. Teachers have one hell of a powerful union, and they're not going to part with their jobs easily.

12-09-2007 11:18 AM
WildFire Offline
Fanatic

We're not saying we want to completely destroy it, just remold it so that we have the choice of what kind of teaching we want, so that we can bring out our full potential, if possible. Different methods and approaches of learning so that ever student is satisfied.

12-09-2007 11:25 AM
Knobby Walsh Offline
Rebel

I'm all for that, because the current system is outdated and certainly isn't working. We're not near to last in the world in education for nothing!

You might be interested to know that I teach all subjects to help prisioners get their GED's. Now, if anyone thinks that the GED is a joke, it's a researched documented fact that 72% of high school graduates CAN'T pass the GED!

12-09-2007 11:32 AM
Cilaos Offline
Fanatic

Given 18 thank(s) in 15 post(s)

Are you serious, I never payed attention in school and never studied for it and STILL passed the GED with over 100 extra points.

I AM A THIEF IN THE NIGHT I WILL SAVE AS MANY AS I CAN

I KEEP THEM IN MY BASEMENT

I TELL THEM I AM THEIR MOMMY NOW
12-09-2007 11:35 AM
Knobby Walsh Offline
Rebel

Serious as a heart attack! Our guidance counselor went to a seminar with the GED people who had the data.

On a different note.............

I like to remain like you all - using a "username." However, I thought you all might like to know that as maybe the only teacher here, my brother, who got fed up with the politics and egos and teacher's unions went into university teaching. To the point, as his "side business," he tours the country speaking to teachers and administrators. His program is called "Wounded Healing Seminars," and here's what is on his home page.

We both were/are kind of mavricks in education because we know the system is flawed. I think his "mission" is very timley and useful:

Home

Through many conferences and training sessions, the word "at-risk" is used to describe children experiencing difficulties functioning
in society. I agree that there are many at-risk children, but it has become clear to me that we are missing the real issue: Many
children are past "at-risk"; they are wounded. Their deep scars of emotional, physical and mental pain are stuffed deep inside in
the hopes that they will go away. Unfortunately, they do not go away. Instead, they emerge in many forms of dysfunctional
behaviors that are disruptive and counter-productive.

Someone once asked me what it is that I am trying to "sell". The answer is simple . . . HOPE.

What We Do

Our seminars are designed to equip those working with wounded children with practical information and doable solutions to
increase academic and life success. It is also our desire to offer an engaging atmosphere that will leave participants feeling
inspired and encouraged in their efforts in working with these children. A variety of session topics are available that can be geared
toward teachers, administrators, counselors, therapists, social workers, foster parents, etc.

Recent & Upcoming Seminars/Staff Development

International Association for Learning Alternatives Conference, Villanova University, June, 2007
National High Schools That Work Staff Development Conference, New Orleans, LA , July 11-14, 2007
Community of Caring National Conference--K-12 Character Education Conference, Las Vegas, NV, July 26-27, 2007
Ohio Correctional Education State Conference (Keynote), Kings Island, OH, Sept., 2007
Michigan Elementary & Middle School Principals' Association Annual State Conference, Traverse City, MI, Nov., 2007
Goose Creek High School Staff Development, Goose Creek, SC, Jan., 2008
Courage to Risk Collaborative Conference, Colorado Springs, CO, Jan. 25-26, 2008
92nd Annual National Association of Secondary School Principals Convention & Exposition, San Antonio, TX, Feb.
22-24, 2008.

12-09-2007 11:43 AM
youvebeenthunderstruck Offline
Fanatic

Given 21 thank(s) in 19 post(s)

The aim isn't to destroy school. If these institutions remain that's all very well, but getting rid of forced attendance is one of the aims.

The fight absolutely is not easy, correct.

As for introductions... the site is full of articles on various subjects.

By the way, the owner of the site goes by the name of "SoulRiser".

<lordpie> Life sucks so much right now. It seems I'm spending all of it doing math.
<Rosti_LFC> You are "Math Boy"
<Rosti_LFC> Doer of math
<Rosti_LFC> Unable to integrate with society. Only with functions of x
12-09-2007 12:10 PM
Albatross Offline
Pariah

May you post the site adress
12-09-2007 12:40 PM
Freak Offline
Fanatic

Given 14 thank(s) in 10 post(s)

About Zero and the GED thing, Zero's just a smart cookie Razz

[Image: ambnh8.jpg]
12-09-2007 01:15 PM
Cilaos Offline
Fanatic

Given 18 thank(s) in 15 post(s)

Und I'm very, very veird, Da?

I AM A THIEF IN THE NIGHT I WILL SAVE AS MANY AS I CAN

I KEEP THEM IN MY BASEMENT

I TELL THEM I AM THEIR MOMMY NOW
12-09-2007 03:09 PM
cryptevah72 Offline
Fanatic

um, da!

Welcome Welcome Welcome Banana Banana Banana Banana Banana Bouncey Bouncey Bouncey Bouncey Bouncey
TIP FOR THE SITE: use lots of smiles...or they'll GET YOU!!!!
ok sorry bout that, welcome, we have lots of topics here, but wat WF said is basically the jist of what we're all SUPPOSED to be talking about, naturally, ther are difeerant opinions here, so one could argue about our exact position in the whole school thing, but i think everyone here (exept spammers) agrees that school systems and everything is flawed, FLAWED! and thers lots of govt talk and stuff....and pie, tell me KW, do you like pie?

i am me myself and i
we are very much the same
different types of entities
under one single name

Flock <3
12-09-2007 03:31 PM
Knobby Walsh Offline
Rebel

I don't care that much for pie, unless one of the Three Stooges is throwing one!

Of course the system is busted up. When you have politicians, administrators and a teacher's union in a giant, continual tug-of-war, the students get lost in the mix.

12-09-2007 11:26 PM
Evasion Offline
Revolutionary

Given 6 thank(s) in 6 post(s)

Knobby Walsh Wrote:I don't care that much for pie, unless one of the Three Stooges is throwing one!

Of course the system is busted up. When you have politicians, administrators and a teacher's union in a giant, continual tug-of-war, the students get lost in the mix.

It's not just that. It's just the general way they view us. Teachers treat us as sub-humans who deserve only the required amount of respect they have to give us, which is next to nothing. They can override the constitution, regardless of what they say (that we don't drop our rights when we enter the school grounds) we have no rights but the rights they give us. Read any school handbook, we are are pretty damn close to the prisoners who you meet everyday.

“When an individual is protesting society's refusal to acknowledge his dignity as a human being, his very act of protest confers dignity on him.”
12-10-2007 12:10 AM
Knobby Walsh Offline
Rebel

MY NOT BE BACK FOR AWHILE, IF EVER...........

My ex-wife just called, saying that there was a shooting out in Colorado
where our daughter has spent much of the past 4 years working to
train kids to go into mission work. My brother , his wife and two
kids work there too, but they do not live on the base.

Below is the link to a short recap of the breaking news, but the update
is that two of the four kids shot are now dead. My daughter has been
working to go back out there next month. She took a few months off to
come home to work. So she's been getting text messages and updates all
night since this happened.

http://www.onenewsnow.com/2007/12/break ... t_colo.php

12-10-2007 12:47 AM
Albatross Offline
Pariah

Farewell and please return if you will Mr.White
12-10-2007 03:34 AM
Knobby Walsh Offline
Rebel

Yea, "Mr.White" from the teacher's forum, but that still isn't my real name. Anyway, here's an update email from my brother who is out there where the shooting took place. This just came in not long ago:

Hello to everyone,

I am writing to let you know of a tragic situation here at YWAM Denver. A gunman came into our
dormitory and shot 4 staff members and two have died. This was at our Arvada base and we are
residing at our extention campus 40 minutes away. So we are all fine and just dealing with this
tragic loss in our community. We will be hosting the students that were in the building during the
shooting and also hearing their sides of the stories. So if you could please be praying for these
students and the families of the ones who have passed on. Please know that we are ok!

12-10-2007 03:37 AM
SoulRiser Offline
Site Founder

Given 1978 thank(s) in 1208 post(s)

Quote:it's a researched documented fact that 72% of high school graduates CAN'T pass the GED!

That's quite hilarious Laugh

Quote:Where can I get an introduction or, shall I say "primer" that can tell me what the overriding purpose is to this forum aside from "I hate school!" Who hasn't hated school at one point or another? What's the goal, objective?

The main point of the site is reaching out to people who hate school and feel like a failure because everyone tells them they'll never get anywhere in life because of it. Those whose parents will let them, can try some alternatives, and those who can't... well, consider this a support group or something Smile

It's more aimed at students who are intelligent, different, and possibly "weird", the kind of students who never quite managed to "fit in", or never wanted to.

"If you can, help others; if you cannot do that, at least do not harm them." - Dalai Lama
Help & Support - Get help with leaving school, unsupportive parents, and more.
Click here if school makes you depressed or suicidal

Support School Survival on Patreon or Donate Bitcoin Here: 1Q5WCcxWjayniaL92b8GfXBiGdfjmnUNa2
"Believe those who are seeking the truth. Doubt those who find it." - André Paul Guillaume Gide
"The true sign of intelligence is not knowledge but imagination." - Albert Einstein
"I'm pretty sure there's a lot of beauty that can only be found in the mind of a lunatic." - TheCancer
EIPD - Emotionally Incompetent Parent Disorder

Push Button for Collection of Useful Links:
Hidden stuff:
12-10-2007 06:03 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Knobby Walsh Offline
Rebel

That describes me growing up! I guess that's why I feel a certain "kinship" but at the same time, want to say DON'T LET THE SYSTEM BEAT YOU! I beat them at their own game. And I suppose that's why I have gravitated toward "alternative" learning venues my whole "career."

Latest From Denver:

ARVADA - A lone gunman opened fire on a missionary training campus early Sunday morning,
shooting four people, two of whom have died and one who is in critical condition.

Arvada Police investigators say the gunman walked into a dorm-like residence hall at the Youth
with a Mission facility on the Faith Bible Chapel campus near 64th and Ward Road just after
midnight and began shooting.

Peter Warren, the Director of Youth with a Mission Denver, says they had just finished a
Christmas banquet when the suspect arrived and asked 22-year-old Tiffany Johnson from
Minnesota if he could be housed for the evening. When Johnson told him they could not provide
him a place to stay, that's when, Warren says, the suspect opened fired with an automatic
handgun, hitting four people, including Johnson.

All four people were rushed to area hospitals where two people died.

Warren says Johnson and a young man from Alaska, Phil Krause, were killed. He says their
families have been notified and are on their way to Colorado.

Johnson had just joined the staff at YWAM in the spring of 2007, according to their Web site.

According to Warren, the third victim, a man in his early 20s, has a bullet in his neck and is listed
in critical but stable condition. The fourth victim, also a man in his early 20s, suffered gunshot
wounds to his legs, Warren says.

Youth with a Mission, which is commonly referred to as YWAM, is a group that trains people
to be missionaries from all over the world to help the poor and needy.

"That suspect then fled the scene on foot and we conducted an extensive canine track. We had
many, many patrol officers in the area. We had assistance from Wheat Ridge Police Department
as well as Jefferson County Sheriff's Office," said Medina. "Unfortunately, he remains at large at
this moment."

The suspect is described as a white male, about 20 years old, who was wearing a dark coat. He
may have been wearing a dark beanie or skull cap, may have had a beard and may have been
wearing glasses.

"The young man – I don't know who he is; I don't think [the victims] knew him – but he must be
going through a lot personally in his own life to do something like this," said Warren.

Police say they do not know whether the shooting was random or if there was a motive.

Warren says the group has open worship times when the public is allowed on their campus.

"Our belief is that only God is the judge and our place is to forgive and that's a difficult thing to
do, but really, I think it's the right thing to do," said Warren.

Police have asked people who live in the area to look out of their windows to see if there are
any unusual footprints in the snow or clothing that may have been in their yard.

Police say as many as 45 people were evacuated and RTD buses came in to transport the
displaced residents. The residents were taken to an offsite location where police began
interviewing them.

"We're hoping to not only piece together this information, but hopefully we can glean some
information that will lead us to the person responsible for this crime," said Medina.

Warren says there are about 80 people living on the Arvada campus and they will be
transported to the group's mountain campus near Golden where they will sleep on the floor until
the murder investigation is processed at their residence. It was unknown how long that might
take.

"This is a very extensive crime scene," said Medina. "We have a number of people to interview.
We have our crime scene technicians that are in the facility right now trying to process to, you
know, figure out exactly what happened."

Police say they have made two reverse 911 calls to residents in the area to warn them to be
vigilant in case they see the suspect and to keep their doors and windows locked.

Dr. Darv Smith, who works with the Boulder-area group of YWAM, says there are six staff
members on the Arvada campus. He says mostly students live on the campus for a 12-week
discipleship training.

Smith says most of the students are from other parts of the country and around the world, with
ages ranging from right out of high school to "mature" adults in their 50s and 60s. He says the
organization has about 16,000 people worldwide.

Warren says they are trying to deal with this situation as best as they can.

"There's no blueprint for this," said Warren. "You know, we're just going to be honest, we're
going to pray with one another and cry with one another. These kids were like our kids, you
know. It's just such a tragedy, but who knows what's going on in this young man's life."

Faith Bible Chapel officials have not given any indication that the services have been cancelled
and they are expected to be held as regularly scheduled.

If you have any information, please contact the Arvada Police at 720-898-6900 or check their
Web site at: http://arvadapd.org/.

12-10-2007 06:26 AM
Darthmat Offline
Fanatic

Given 41 thank(s) in 35 post(s)

cryptevah72 Wrote:um, da!

Welcome Welcome Welcome Banana Banana Banana Banana Banana Bouncey Bouncey Bouncey Bouncey Bouncey
TIP FOR THE SITE: use lots of smiles...or they'll GET YOU!!!!
you use waaaay to many smileys D:<

Oh, and welcome, but watch where you step, the toilets are temporally jammed.

I highly suggest Mobb Deep's albums The Infamous and Hell on Earth, if you have not listened to it yet.
12-10-2007 10:04 AM