RIP School Survival Forums
August 2001 - June 2017

The School Survival Forums are permanently retired. If you need help with quitting school, unsupportive parents or anything else, there is a list of resources on the Help Page.

If you want to write about your experiences in school, you can write on our blog.

To everyone who joined these forums at some point, and got discouraged by the negativity and left after a while (or even got literally scared off): I'm sorry.

I wasn't good enough at encouraging people to be kinder, and removing people who refuse to be kind. Encouraging people is hard, and removing people creates conflict, and I hate conflict... so that's why I wasn't better at it.

I was a very, very sensitive teen. The atmosphere of this forum as it is now, if it had existed in 1996, would probably have upset me far more than it would have helped.

I can handle quite a lot of negativity and even abuse now, but that isn't the point. I want to help people. I want to help the people who need it the most, and I want to help people like the 1996 version of me.

I'm still figuring out the best way to do that, but as it is now, these forums are doing more harm than good, and I can't keep running them.

Thank you to the few people who have tried to understand my point of view so far. I really, really appreciate you guys. You are beautiful people.

Everyone else: If after everything I've said so far, you still don't understand my motivations, I think it's unlikely that you will. We're just too different. Maybe someday in the future it might make sense, but until then, there's no point in arguing about it. I don't have the time or the energy for arguing anymore. I will focus my time and energy on people who support me, and those who need help.

-SoulRiser

The forums are mostly read-only and are in a maintenance/testing phase, before being permanently archived. Please use this time to get the contact details of people you'd like to keep in touch with. My contact details are here.

Please do not make a mirror copy of the forums in their current state - things will still change, and some people have requested to be able to edit or delete some of their personal info.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Education Declaration to Rebuild America - real reforms?
Trar Away
R.I.P.

Given 189 thank(s) in 125 post(s)

http://educationopportunitynetwork.org/e...ouncement/

"As a nation, we’re failing to provide the basics our children need for an opportunity to learn. Instead, we have substituted a punitive high-stakes testing regime that seeks to force progress on the cheap. But there is no shortcut to success. We must change course before we further undermine schools and drive away the teachers our children need.

"All who envision a more just, progressive and fair society cannot ignore the battle for our nation’s educational future. Principals fighting for better schools, teachers fighting for better classrooms, students fighting for greater opportunities, parents fighting for a future worthy of their child’s promise: their fight is our fight. We must all join in."

Basically this. I liked what I saw, and I signed it. Maybe this is a step in the right direction, guys!
06-13-2013 02:07 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
 Thanks given by: SoulRiser
no Offline
True Scotsman

Given 474 thank(s) in 299 post(s)

Perhaps just empty rhetoric of people who want to do the same thing with different words.

Perhaps not. We shall see.

Hello, traveler.

This is an ancient account I have not used in a long time. My views have changed much in the intervening months and years.

Nonetheless, I refuse to clean it up. Pretending that I've held my current views since the beginning of time is what we in the industry call a lie. Asking people to do so contributes to moralistic self-loathing. "See, those people have nothing damning! I do! I'm truly vile!"

Because you can never be a good person with a single blemish on the moral record, I thought that simply entertaining some thoughts made me irredeemable. Though I don't care for his writing style, William Faulkner presents a good counterexample. He went from being a typical Southern racist to supporting the civil rights movement. These days we'd yell at him for that, probably.

People are allowed to change their views.

Nevertheless, this period of my life has informed some of how I am today. In good ways and bad ways. To purge it would be to do a disservice to history. Perhaps it will not make anyone sympathetic, but it may help someone understand.

If, after reading all this, you still decide to use the post above as evidence that I am evil today, ask yourself if you have never disagreed with the moral code you now follow. In all likelihood you did, at some point. If some questions are verboten, and the answer is "how dare you ask that," don't expect your ideological opponents to ever change their minds.
06-13-2013 04:53 AM
xcriteria Offline
Fanatic

Given 930 thank(s) in 612 post(s)

(tl;dr: If you want to see a change in education, educate yourself. Hack through the wall of text, consider the points I hit on, and ask some relevant questions.)

Trar's link is from the pro-school, pro-educator lobby. They're for schools and against the impact of high-stakes standardized tests. This is understandable, but it's not about addressing the problem of those of us who have struggled in traditional school and want alternatives.

For example, consider this paragraph:

"Discipline policies should keep students in schools. Students need to be in school in order to learn. We must cease ineffective and discriminatory discipline practices that push children down the school-to-prison pipeline. Schools must use fair discipline policies that keep classrooms safe and all students learning."

The first premise there is that students cannot learn outside of teacher-led classrooms. Then, the paragraph addresses the problem of student misbehavior being dealt with through as a criminal offense. Of course, locking kids in prison isn't the answer, but locking them in classrooms is not the only way for them to learn.

So, what are the teachers to do?

The problem is that, as many of us have experienced, being locked in subject-bound, grid-schedule, one-size-fits-all classrooms is often not the most conducive approach to learning.

Lisa's article gets at the problem: What's a teacher to do?

She describes dedicated teachers who struggle with this problem:

Quote:"in my morning Algebra 1 CP classes? I'm drained. I'm exhausted. I just want to help them learn. I just want them to ask questions when they need to. I just want them to understand. I just want them to want to learn. I just want them to care."

Lisa goes on to explain: But as our friend Roger Schank reminds us, "Learning happens when someone wants to learn, not when someone wants to teach."

...but...

Quote:...this doesn't solve the problem that Ms. Kirch and my friend are having. They are paid to do a job whether their clients, the students, want it or not.

So...

What's a teacher to do when students have awoken to the fact that they don't need you to learn what they care about and you're not in a position to care about what they want to learn?

That is the problem that the pro-educator lobby leaves unaddressed.

But, what about this paragraph from Trar's link?

"Learning must be engaging and relevant. Learning should be a dynamic experience through connections to real world problems and to students’ own life experiences and cultural backgrounds. High-stakes testing narrows the curriculum and hinders creativity."

That all sounds good. Learning *should* be relevant. Learning should be a dynamic experience through connections to real world problems. It should link to students own life experiences and backgrounds. High stakes testing focuses on very specific measures of learning.

However, what about the real world problem of the litany of complaints about school that so many bored, disengaged, alienated, fleeing students have? Where are those addressed in Trar's link? They aren't, because the link is primarily about the interests of teachers in the context of their existing job structure, rather than the needs of students who need to learn in a different way.

Peter Gray & allies launching the Alliance for Self-directed Education

ASDE Newsletters: #1 Announcement | #2 History of ASDE | #6 Education Liberation

School Survival & Catalyst Learning Network featured on AlternativestoSchool's blog
“Mom, Dad, can I stop going to school?”

Crucial Conversations: Tools for Talking when the Stakes are High

Hidden stuff:
06-13-2013 03:30 PM
 Thanks given by: SoulRiser
Trar Away
R.I.P.

Given 189 thank(s) in 125 post(s)

Very good points. We need more support for the problems that students face, not just teachers. Perhaps that is where we might come in one day, if we can muster enough clout...
06-14-2013 11:49 PM
 Thanks given by: xcriteria

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Jonathan Kozol on Education in America Michio-kun 1 1,347 08-06-2008 03:46 AM
Last Post: Michio-kun