RIP School Survival Forums
August 2001 - June 2017

The School Survival Forums are permanently retired. If you need help with quitting school, unsupportive parents or anything else, there is a list of resources on the Help Page.

If you want to write about your experiences in school, you can write on our blog.

To everyone who joined these forums at some point, and got discouraged by the negativity and left after a while (or even got literally scared off): I'm sorry.

I wasn't good enough at encouraging people to be kinder, and removing people who refuse to be kind. Encouraging people is hard, and removing people creates conflict, and I hate conflict... so that's why I wasn't better at it.

I was a very, very sensitive teen. The atmosphere of this forum as it is now, if it had existed in 1996, would probably have upset me far more than it would have helped.

I can handle quite a lot of negativity and even abuse now, but that isn't the point. I want to help people. I want to help the people who need it the most, and I want to help people like the 1996 version of me.

I'm still figuring out the best way to do that, but as it is now, these forums are doing more harm than good, and I can't keep running them.

Thank you to the few people who have tried to understand my point of view so far. I really, really appreciate you guys. You are beautiful people.

Everyone else: If after everything I've said so far, you still don't understand my motivations, I think it's unlikely that you will. We're just too different. Maybe someday in the future it might make sense, but until then, there's no point in arguing about it. I don't have the time or the energy for arguing anymore. I will focus my time and energy on people who support me, and those who need help.

-SoulRiser

The forums are mostly read-only and are in a maintenance/testing phase, before being permanently archived. Please use this time to get the contact details of people you'd like to keep in touch with. My contact details are here.

Please do not make a mirror copy of the forums in their current state - things will still change, and some people have requested to be able to edit or delete some of their personal info.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Think to yourself
himank Offline
Renegade

Given 0 thank(s) in 0 post(s)
Think to yourself

Say you never ever had to go to school in your life.

You worked at Mc.Donalds, getitng paid $10 and hour.

How many hours are you in school for.. 7 most likley.

$70 a day.

25 Grand a Year.

Grades 1-12

Do the math.
02-07-2008 03:18 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
i-am-the-liquor Offline
Fanatic

Given 8 thank(s) in 7 post(s)

nice. but then theres taxes on your paycheck,rent at your house,age laws,work ethic for some people, food, clothes,ect.but you would have some disposable income

I dont mean to sound bitter, cold, or cruel, but I am,so thats how it comes out.- bill hicks
02-07-2008 08:53 PM
SoulRiser Offline
Site Founder

Given 1978 thank(s) in 1208 post(s)

zOMG. I demand a refund!

"If you can, help others; if you cannot do that, at least do not harm them." - Dalai Lama
Help & Support - Get help with leaving school, unsupportive parents, and more.
Click here if school makes you depressed or suicidal

Support School Survival on Patreon or Donate Bitcoin Here: 1Q5WCcxWjayniaL92b8GfXBiGdfjmnUNa2
"Believe those who are seeking the truth. Doubt those who find it." - André Paul Guillaume Gide
"The true sign of intelligence is not knowledge but imagination." - Albert Einstein
"I'm pretty sure there's a lot of beauty that can only be found in the mind of a lunatic." - TheCancer
EIPD - Emotionally Incompetent Parent Disorder

Push Button for Collection of Useful Links:
Hidden stuff:
02-08-2008 03:20 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Aya Offline
Banned

Given 45 thank(s) in 36 post(s)

No one at McDonalds gets paid $10/hr
02-08-2008 03:50 AM
cooltoonist Offline
Revolutionary

Given 7 thank(s) in 7 post(s)

You'll need to learn the words and terms are though. And basic number operations to do work.
02-08-2008 05:01 AM
SoulRiser Offline
Site Founder

That doesn't really take all that long.

"If you can, help others; if you cannot do that, at least do not harm them." - Dalai Lama

Support School Survival on Patreon or Donate Bitcoin Here: 1Q5WCcxWjayniaL92b8GfXBiGdfjmnUNa2
"Believe those who are seeking the truth. Doubt those who find it." - André Paul Guillaume Gide
"The true sign of intelligence is not knowledge but imagination." - Albert Einstein
"I'm pretty sure there's a lot of beauty that can only be found in the mind of a lunatic." - TheCancer

Hidden stuff:
02-09-2008 03:48 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
HeartofShadows Offline
Fanatic

Given 80 thank(s) in 73 post(s)

nobody at mcdonalds gets paid 10-12 dollars unless they unload and load the truck of food..

[Image: WARZONES_subs_hostility.png]
image hosting jpg
02-09-2008 03:51 AM
akdonn Offline
Revolutionary

Given 1 thank(s) in 1 post(s)

Come On, you can do a better hypothetical than that! You are proposing that the work product of grade 1-12 is worth $10-$12 per hour? Who are you trying to kid, kid?

In economic terms this argument doesn't hold any water and makes you look like a fool!

[Image: aVrB7jr.jpg]
02-09-2008 04:55 AM
SoulRiser Offline
Site Founder

Quote:You are proposing that the work product of grade 1-12 is worth $10-$12 per hour?

I think he's just pointing out that if you had a job instead of school, by the time the 12 years are over you'd have a reasonably large sum of money.

Hidden stuff:
02-09-2008 05:43 AM
i-am-the-liquor Offline
Fanatic

here max pay at mcdonalds is 10, and thats after years of working there. starting is 7:50 cdn

I dont mean to sound bitter, cold, or cruel, but I am,so thats how it comes out.- bill hicks
02-09-2008 06:06 AM
HeartofShadows Offline
Fanatic

Given 80 thank(s) in 73 post(s)

Renegade not talking about working in the place..
Their are trucks that drop off the food mcdonalds cooks.
They load the food on the truck and they unload it at mcdonalds and even in the job discription it tells us that customers may see us and to act nice or some bullshit..
They get paid 12 a hour and thats still technically working for mcdonalds.

[Image: WARZONES_subs_hostility.png]
image hosting jpg
02-09-2008 07:01 AM
i-am-the-liquor Offline
Fanatic

oh......*idea pops into head*, thanks for the info

02-09-2008 07:19 AM
anonomous Offline
Revolutionary

Given 2 thank(s) in 2 post(s)

i dont think ppl in grade 1-8 could qualify to work at Mcdonalds
02-09-2008 08:42 AM
akdonn Offline
Revolutionary

SoulRiser:

That's rediculas. Let's say 40 hours per week, 52 weeks per year. That's 2080 hours at $10 = $20,800 with no weeks off. That is below poverty in the U.S. It is an amount that guarantees you work a lot of hours and barely get by, and there is no way that a child in grade 1,2,3,4,5 or 6 is going to make $10/hr.

By contrast, it is estimated that no high school diploma on average means a reduction of some $150,000-$200,000 income over the span of a normal career in the U.S. These figures may not be representative of European or South African or other economies, but the institution of school is in place to provide a bridge to economic autonomy. Some people don't need that bridge, but most people do.

[Image: aVtrO6r.jpg]
02-09-2008 09:12 AM
Fire Elf Offline
Fanatic

Given 30 thank(s) in 25 post(s)

akdonn Wrote:SoulRiser:

That's rediculas. Let's say 40 hours per week, 52 weeks per year. That's 2080 hours at $10 = $20,800 with no weeks off. That is below poverty in the U.S. It is an amount that guarantees you work a lot of hours and barely get by, and there is no way that a child in grade 1,2,3,4,5 or 6 is going to make $10/hr.

By contrast, it is estimated that no high school diploma on average means a reduction of some $150,000-$200,000 income over the span of a normal career in the U.S. These figures may not be representative of European or South African or other economies, but the institution of school is in place to provide a bridge to economic autonomy. Some people don't need that bridge, but most people do.

[Image: aVtrO6r.jpg]
You're missing the point here. We're not talking about how much money you can make without a highschool diploma, we're talking about how much we could have made if we spent all those hours of of our lives at work instead of school.

And besides, all too often school does feel like working for no money whatsoever, and I'm sure $0/year is below the poverty line in every country.
02-09-2008 09:41 AM
akdonn Offline
Revolutionary

I'm not missing the point. In past centuries the only way a young person could get into a craft was to apprentice with someone who did that craft without any expectation of economic return except learning the skill. The fact is that when you are in school society is investing in you because you have no skills except what mommy and daddy have taught you. If they are rich, then they can provide a meaningful education, but if they aren't then society has made an attempt to provide a basis for some economic equity.

You don't have to believe me. I'm more than 50 years old and I have done well for myself. I've looked around over the years at the people I've known from my school and others around Alaska. There is a difference in what they have and a lot of it has to do with choices they made about education. You can bullshit yourself on this matter, but over the long haul you might find you haven't bulshitted anybody else because all you've really done is take yourself out of the competition for finite resources.
02-09-2008 09:56 AM
Fire Elf Offline
Fanatic

Given 30 thank(s) in 25 post(s)

akdonn Wrote:I'm not missing the point. In past centuries the only way a young person could get into a craft was to apprentice with someone who did that craft without any expectation of economic return except learning the skill. The fact is that when you are in school society is investing in you because you have no skills except what mommy and daddy have taught you. If they are rich, then they can provide a meaningful education, but if they aren't then society has made an attempt to provide a basis for some economic equity.

You don't have to believe me. I'm more than 50 years old and I have done well for myself. I've looked around over the years at the people I've known from my school and others around Alaska. There is a difference in what they have and a lot of it has to do with choices they made about education. You can bullshit yourself on this matter, but over the long haul you might find you haven't bulshitted anybody else because all you've really done is take yourself out of the competition for finite resources.
So you claim we are incapable of learning on our own, without formal instruction? You should seriously consider getting a reality check or two, because we are very capable of it. This we are evolved for. I do read books and internet articles in my free time, and I feel I actually get more from just one hour of it than i do from a whole day at school. Hell, I don't feel I learn anything at school. And even if I did, It's not really some that would be considered to be "getting into a craft", whatever the hell that's supposed to mean. We just go over the same nonsense we did last year, and the year before that, etc. I mean, come on. Drama? USELESS! English Literature? USELESS! History? USELESS!

And with that aside, if you want to know why I think you're not getting the point, you do not have to look any further than the second paragraph in your post. Seriously, we're talking about the present here, not the future. You really can't spend your entire life preparing for something, as one might die before it happens, and thus have done nothing good with their lives. Sometimes it makes sense to just forget the longhaul, and do what you can with the time you have on you. Besides, not everyone will agree with the idea that being all rich and everything will compensate for have 15 120+ hours of your life completely wasted.
02-09-2008 10:36 AM
Will Offline
Fanatic

Given 29 thank(s) in 16 post(s)

Or we could just not pay for school. Check your school's budget to see how much it costs per student. I estimate about 10,000 USD per year per student for primary school and secondary school for schools attended by the members of these forums.

That much money could buy 1,000 small books, 100 textbooks including licensing fees, a small supercomputer, really good web hosting, a high-quality musical instrument, any kind of art studio, a science laboritory, a long trip to most places on earth, a part-time tutor, 2000 reams of paper or 100,000 color copies.

Imagine what we could do instead of school.
02-09-2008 02:07 PM
monkey Away
Fanatic

Given 26 thank(s) in 17 post(s)
Re:

Ayliana Wrote:No one at McDonalds gets paid $10/hr

burger king peopel do mc-donalds is 8 doller an hour

Had to move on. Account is dead.
02-10-2008 02:23 PM