RIP School Survival Forums
August 2001 - June 2017

The School Survival Forums are permanently retired. If you need help with quitting school, unsupportive parents or anything else, there is a list of resources on the Help Page.

If you want to write about your experiences in school, you can write on our blog.

To everyone who joined these forums at some point, and got discouraged by the negativity and left after a while (or even got literally scared off): I'm sorry.

I wasn't good enough at encouraging people to be kinder, and removing people who refuse to be kind. Encouraging people is hard, and removing people creates conflict, and I hate conflict... so that's why I wasn't better at it.

I was a very, very sensitive teen. The atmosphere of this forum as it is now, if it had existed in 1996, would probably have upset me far more than it would have helped.

I can handle quite a lot of negativity and even abuse now, but that isn't the point. I want to help people. I want to help the people who need it the most, and I want to help people like the 1996 version of me.

I'm still figuring out the best way to do that, but as it is now, these forums are doing more harm than good, and I can't keep running them.

Thank you to the few people who have tried to understand my point of view so far. I really, really appreciate you guys. You are beautiful people.

Everyone else: If after everything I've said so far, you still don't understand my motivations, I think it's unlikely that you will. We're just too different. Maybe someday in the future it might make sense, but until then, there's no point in arguing about it. I don't have the time or the energy for arguing anymore. I will focus my time and energy on people who support me, and those who need help.

-SoulRiser

The forums are mostly read-only and are in a maintenance/testing phase, before being permanently archived. Please use this time to get the contact details of people you'd like to keep in touch with. My contact details are here.

Please do not make a mirror copy of the forums in their current state - things will still change, and some people have requested to be able to edit or delete some of their personal info.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
"Wanting back your childhood"
Darthmat Offline
Fanatic

Given 41 thank(s) in 35 post(s)
"Wanting back your childhood"

People often go "I want my childhood back," when talking about school. Childhood is a time associated with innocence. So I guess they want to retrieve said innocence and have more freedom to enjoy it. But.. if kid weren't in school, would they be so innocent? 'The real world' is a competitive, and sometimes very harsh place. School, at least the early years, is like a little bubble. I think it keeps children innocent longer, and shelters them from some pretty harsh realities. Thoughts?

I highly suggest Mobb Deep's albums The Infamous and Hell on Earth, if you have not listened to it yet.
11-02-2008 11:44 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Eidolon Away
Fanatic

Given 37 thank(s) in 25 post(s)
Re: "Wanting back your childhood"

Eidolon Wrote:I think that even if school weren't there to shelter them, they would still be somewhat sheltered by either their parents or somebody.

And then to say that school isn't a harsh, competitive place is going a bit far.
Darthmat Wrote:Parents could possibly shelter them, although it would be vey hard. Especially if they want to do it for the child's benefiet. School allows a kid to socialize, but still be relatively sheltered. Sheltering a kid at home will really cut down on social activity. And I was talking about the younger grades, which is what I think is what they are referring to as a childhood. It isn't competitive then, and not nearly as harsh as it is in older grades.
Well, I know that I did like school in grades 1-4. I liked talking to the other kids, and I can't recall whether I disliked the work or not. I guess I never thought about it back then. Anyways, the socialization was nice, and while there's no reason a child can't make friends outside of school, being in a class together gives kids something to talk about, as well as the opportunity to talk about it.

And I guess I don't really know what you think school is sheltering kids from. Once the school day is over, they're back in "the real world" and are no better off.
11-03-2008 12:34 AM
SoulRiser Offline
Site Founder

Given 1978 thank(s) in 1208 post(s)

School was the "harsh, competitive" place in my case. The real world isn't nearly as bad, and you can avoid most competition altogether if you want. My parents were the ones who sheltered me. So... it really differs from person to person.

"If you can, help others; if you cannot do that, at least do not harm them." - Dalai Lama
Help & Support - Get help with leaving school, unsupportive parents, and more.
Click here if school makes you depressed or suicidal

Support School Survival on Patreon or Donate Bitcoin Here: 1Q5WCcxWjayniaL92b8GfXBiGdfjmnUNa2
"Believe those who are seeking the truth. Doubt those who find it." - André Paul Guillaume Gide
"The true sign of intelligence is not knowledge but imagination." - Albert Einstein
"I'm pretty sure there's a lot of beauty that can only be found in the mind of a lunatic." - TheCancer
EIPD - Emotionally Incompetent Parent Disorder

Push Button for Collection of Useful Links:
Hidden stuff:
11-03-2008 01:30 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Darthmat Offline
Fanatic

Eidolon Wrote:Anyways, the socialization was nice, and while there's no reason a child can't make friends outside of school, being in a class together gives kids something to talk about, as well as the opportunity to talk about it.
It is a lot easier to socialize when you go to a school then when you don't. You see your friends who go there every day.

Quote:And I guess I don't really know what you think school is sheltering kids from. Once the school day is over, they're back in "the real world" and are no better off.
My school was a very sheltered environment. And as long as the parents wanted you not to know something, you usually ended up not knowing it, as they took you home after.

SoulRiser Wrote:School was the "harsh, competitive" place in my case. The real world isn't nearly as bad, and you can avoid most competition altogether if you want. My parents were the ones who sheltered me. So... it really differs from person to person.
Even in lower grades? Damn.

I highly suggest Mobb Deep's albums The Infamous and Hell on Earth, if you have not listened to it yet.
11-03-2008 02:02 AM
HeartofShadows Offline
Fanatic

Given 80 thank(s) in 73 post(s)

I remember being jealous of seeing guy's who were alot more athletic then me and got better grades then me in elementary school because they mostly hung together, got prizes, cash but thats it.
Then again I wouldn't want to be a kid again just so I wouldn't have to deal with the going to church, bullies, teachers and all that crap again.

[Image: WARZONES_subs_hostility.png]
image hosting jpg
11-03-2008 05:53 AM
Michio-kun Offline
Fanatic

Given 28 thank(s) in 24 post(s)

I was mostly picked on throughout elementary school and middle school. Other than that everyone thought I was pretty smart. So it evened out I guess. None

To a mind that is still, the whole universe surrenders. - Chuang-tzu
The quieter you become, the more you can hear. - Baba Ram Dass
The whole moon and the entire sky are reflected in one dewdrop on the grass. - Dogen
Great Faith. Great Doubt. Great Effort. - The three qualities necessary for training. - Zen saying
Possessing much knowledge is like having a thousand foot fishing line with a hook, but the fish is always an inch beyond the hook. - Zen saying
11-03-2008 08:06 AM
Elfy Offline
Fanatic

Given 64 thank(s) in 41 post(s)

I didn't know I was being brainwashed and I didn't realise I was wasting my time with school.

Then came now were everything changed...
I don't think I fancy my childhood.

RIP SCHOOL-SURVIVAL 04/07/2019
[Image: tumblr_lpjpoqOyQ91qb8nljo1_500.gif]
11-03-2008 08:14 AM
thewake Offline
Unconstructive

Given 296 thank(s) in 201 post(s)

I would love to experience my childhood again without school, it would be awesome.
But you know what? To dwell on the past is to never move forward, and I don't want to stand still.

[Image: nAOqYk7.png]

[Image: USVWSwj.png]
11-03-2008 11:53 AM
Avenger Offline
Pariah

Given 4 thank(s) in 4 post(s)

the only thing I liked about my childhood was when I was at home,other than that elementary school sucked for me I was always the one to get picked on,one teacher yelled in my ear,another tried to put me on pills.I only had one friend which is still my friend to this day,it's been 10 years now.I also had the sped kids to hang around which wasn't too bad they were hilarious,but annoying,then in fifth grade I got stuck in a class that was filled with the retards of my class(not the sped kids,but i was pulled out of another teachers class which was supposedly because there wasn't enough room,then I ended up with all people who were dumbasses I couldn't stand them)oh and the teacher that was trying to put me on pills was racist as well.So I would never want my childhood back,I'm perfectly fine with the way my life is now.

Telling people to do something without giving a reason compels them to rebel not to obey-Avenger

We need to learn not to be afraid of making mistakes all the time-Avenger

FACTS OF LIFE:
1.life sucks most of the time
2.sex is natural and it feels good
3.everybody can be an asshole
4.most people are idiots
11-03-2008 02:21 PM
psychopath Offline
Fanatic

Given 60 thank(s) in 54 post(s)

Dude school is flooded with competition. Competition to do pointless things. So even if the real world had competition, school is still worse because it's all over stuff that you probably don't need.

Lol is it me or does dartmat love school lately(get ready to stone the mofo and shoot him down)?
11-03-2008 03:57 PM
KitsuneSefam Offline
Fanatic

Given 17 thank(s) in 16 post(s)

psychopath Wrote:Dude school is flooded with competition. Competition to do pointless things. So even if the real world had competition, school is still worse because it's all over stuff that you probably don't need.

Like buying giant TVs and buying technology that students don't use most of the time to impress parents?

And i don't want my childhood back unless it wouldn't be with my current parents.
11-03-2008 10:41 PM
thewake Offline
Unconstructive

Given 296 thank(s) in 201 post(s)

I kind of like my mommy and daddy.

[Image: nAOqYk7.png]

[Image: USVWSwj.png]
11-03-2008 10:46 PM
Michio-kun Offline
Fanatic

Given 28 thank(s) in 24 post(s)

W-Dog32 Wrote:I kind of like my mommy and daddy.
lol soft fag

To a mind that is still, the whole universe surrenders. - Chuang-tzu
The quieter you become, the more you can hear. - Baba Ram Dass
The whole moon and the entire sky are reflected in one dewdrop on the grass. - Dogen
Great Faith. Great Doubt. Great Effort. - The three qualities necessary for training. - Zen saying
Possessing much knowledge is like having a thousand foot fishing line with a hook, but the fish is always an inch beyond the hook. - Zen saying
11-04-2008 12:17 AM
Darthmat Offline
Fanatic

psychopath Wrote:Lol is it me or does dartmat love school lately(get ready to stone the mofo and shoot him down)?
I'd rather be in school then not, most of the time. I love it there.

11-04-2008 07:59 AM

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Childhood Memories Return alexmm 1 1,471 10-08-2013 01:39 PM
Last Post: xcriteria
  I'm sick of people wanting others to listen to them Denied 3 1,132 06-10-2010 06:50 AM
Last Post: KittyKatBlack
  childhood obesity TheCancer 62 4,278 01-25-2010 09:16 PM
Last Post: The Desert Fox
  Your most naïve childhood beliefs Milk2Go 34 3,759 08-07-2009 08:24 AM
Last Post: John Tuttle