RIP School Survival Forums
August 2001 - June 2017

The School Survival Forums are permanently retired. If you need help with quitting school, unsupportive parents or anything else, there is a list of resources on the Help Page.

If you want to write about your experiences in school, you can write on our blog.

To everyone who joined these forums at some point, and got discouraged by the negativity and left after a while (or even got literally scared off): I'm sorry.

I wasn't good enough at encouraging people to be kinder, and removing people who refuse to be kind. Encouraging people is hard, and removing people creates conflict, and I hate conflict... so that's why I wasn't better at it.

I was a very, very sensitive teen. The atmosphere of this forum as it is now, if it had existed in 1996, would probably have upset me far more than it would have helped.

I can handle quite a lot of negativity and even abuse now, but that isn't the point. I want to help people. I want to help the people who need it the most, and I want to help people like the 1996 version of me.

I'm still figuring out the best way to do that, but as it is now, these forums are doing more harm than good, and I can't keep running them.

Thank you to the few people who have tried to understand my point of view so far. I really, really appreciate you guys. You are beautiful people.

Everyone else: If after everything I've said so far, you still don't understand my motivations, I think it's unlikely that you will. We're just too different. Maybe someday in the future it might make sense, but until then, there's no point in arguing about it. I don't have the time or the energy for arguing anymore. I will focus my time and energy on people who support me, and those who need help.

-SoulRiser

The forums are mostly read-only and are in a maintenance/testing phase, before being permanently archived. Please use this time to get the contact details of people you'd like to keep in touch with. My contact details are here.

Please do not make a mirror copy of the forums in their current state - things will still change, and some people have requested to be able to edit or delete some of their personal info.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Parents..
Intrepid Ibex Offline
Rebel

Given 0 thank(s) in 0 post(s)
Parents..

Alright, I'm pretty pissed right now. I was on AIM tonight, on the desktop computer downstairs (im usually on my lappy) and apparently while i went upstairs to grab my dad something, both my mom and dad zipped onto the computer and started reading my conversations with whoever i was talking to. There was some pretty weird shit that i was talking about,(img.420chan.org/gore/, to be exact) and both my parents think i'm a total fucktard now. They took off my door to my room, took all my airsoft guns(like they could even harm anything), threatened to take away my laptop, took away my phone, and declared that they are now able to go through whichever AIM convos they want. What should i do? I feel like this is a huge invasion of my privacy..

stole his avatar image from this very site...
02-09-2009 02:13 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Aviator Offline
Pariah

Given 7 thank(s) in 6 post(s)
Re: Parents..

Ugh...

Give them a few days and then try and approach them about it. Tell them that you're no freaktard, you just were curious about what it was. Afterall, it's human nature to be curious about something. I don't know exactly what you were talking about, but just come up with a general list of everything that they're now upset about, and try to explain why you were discussing it. Be honest(ish).

Good luck!

It is better to ask for forgiveness than for permission. - Neal Vitale
I'd rather laugh with the sinners than cry with the saints. The sinners are much more fun.
Everyone can back up their opinions. Some people just do it a whole lot better than others. - Rebelnerd
Here's to the men and women who did what was considered wrong, in order to do what they knew was right.
'Of course it is happening inside your head, but why on earth should that mean that it is not real?'" - JK Rowling
02-09-2009 02:17 PM
Steven Offline
Revolutionary

Ok first of all, that website... I watched it now and it's pretty fucked up. You're not a freak, but the ones who post stuff on that website are Razz. About your parents, damn dude, how old are you? Tell them to respect your privacy... they really took off your door ? Bigeek try talking to them that you feel like you have no more privacy and stuff.
I always close any Firefox windows I have open or whatever, every time I leave the room for a couple of minutes.
02-09-2009 04:10 PM
AWOL Offline
The Spooning Bard

Given 36 thank(s) in 34 post(s)

Get your own side to the computer and put a password in a dif. language on it.

Fucked my parents up pretty badly. Also, make a makeshift door, not that hard. Buy a new phone and hide your laptop.

EDIT: Make sure you downgrade their side and upgrade yours. I.e, your the administrator and their normal.

They can't do jack shit after that.

[Image: 9be30a7.png]
[Image: LyingFloraBanner.jpg]
02-09-2009 04:16 PM
Intrepid Ibex Offline
Rebel

I've got my own name on my computer, I stole my cellphone back, its good on that part. But either way, I just don't feel right when i know they look through my shit. Is there any way they can go back and look through past AIM conversations?

02-10-2009 08:47 AM
Aviator Offline
Pariah

Given 7 thank(s) in 6 post(s)

Not that I know of.

After doing a bit of research, there is an option that you can select where AIM will log your conversations. I don't believe that old AIM versions can do this, but AIM Triton does have the option. However, unless you or your parents manually select it, it will not log your conversations. If it is selected, it will log conversations in a file called "aimlogger".

Do a file search and see if it's on your computer. Investigate its contents, and clean it out if it is there. Also, I would see if I could find the place on the AIM software where the setting can be toggled and make sure that it isn't checked. You may also want to look into keylogging software that your parents may have installed on the computer.

Good luck!

It is better to ask for forgiveness than for permission. - Neal Vitale
I'd rather laugh with the sinners than cry with the saints. The sinners are much more fun.
Everyone can back up their opinions. Some people just do it a whole lot better than others. - Rebelnerd
Here's to the men and women who did what was considered wrong, in order to do what they knew was right.
'Of course it is happening inside your head, but why on earth should that mean that it is not real?'" - JK Rowling
02-10-2009 09:09 AM
Intrepid Ibex Offline
Rebel

Thanks a bunch for doing all the research :]]. And yeah, i was just kinda wigging out, I'd be in some major trouble if they could look through that stuff. lmao, im searching for "aimlogger'' right now Scratchchin

02-10-2009 09:19 AM
SoulRiser Offline
Site Founder

Given 1978 thank(s) in 1208 post(s)

Stabhead
Arg. I vote for trying to talk to them about it, but if that doesn't work, be super paranoid. Encrypt everything sensitive (www.truecrypt.org), use Portable Apps (www.portableapps.com), and remove your USB stick every time you leave the computer. Sucks, but if they won't play nice, you gotta adapt.

"If you can, help others; if you cannot do that, at least do not harm them." - Dalai Lama
Help & Support - Get help with leaving school, unsupportive parents, and more.
Click here if school makes you depressed or suicidal

Support School Survival on Patreon or Donate Bitcoin Here: 1Q5WCcxWjayniaL92b8GfXBiGdfjmnUNa2
"Believe those who are seeking the truth. Doubt those who find it." - André Paul Guillaume Gide
"The true sign of intelligence is not knowledge but imagination." - Albert Einstein
"I'm pretty sure there's a lot of beauty that can only be found in the mind of a lunatic." - TheCancer
EIPD - Emotionally Incompetent Parent Disorder

Push Button for Collection of Useful Links:
Hidden stuff:
02-10-2009 10:02 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Intrepid Ibex Offline
Rebel

yeah, with my parents it can get pretty ridiculous. one time, when i first got this Co2 gun, i accidentally shot the wall. like, a little dent.

they took everything that i could possibly harm anything with, my knife, my gun and my laptop(which can't harm anything, really, but you know...), and said that i'm "destructive".

I hate to be secretive, but when they're like this, i have to be.

Soulriser, I don't think i can use portable apps, seeing as I run ubuntu.

And also to the other guy that asked how old i was earlier, I'm 13..god i hope that doesnt get me banned or something.

02-10-2009 10:40 AM
Milk2Go Offline
Fanatic

Given 41 thank(s) in 29 post(s)

My mom took away my airsoft guns after one of my friends got suspended for bringing airsoft guns to school. She thought I would be the next VTech because, apparently, "teens can't think for themselves and will do what their friends do." My mom also absolutely hates computers and the internet. She honestly believes they're the source of everything bad. She also tried to take away my Xbox after she found out I was playing games online with "random strangers who can find out where I live." She's also against the concept of me driving a car, because she's afraid I might get into an accident. She also believes that if I continue a diet that restricts all sugar and fat, my acne will get better. She also claims that it gets worse every day, when it clearly gets better. And a few years ago, she thought that I could somehow make myself grow by hanging from a bar attached near the ceiling in our basement. My mom also believes that school is the only way to success, and that the only definition of success is getting an office job and becoming rich. I'll show her what my definition of success is, though, once I turn 18. I'm probably going to pursue music, because I love it and I'm good at it.

In short, my mom's a paranoid sheeple and I don't really know where I'm going with this.
02-10-2009 10:52 AM
True Strasserist Offline
Banned

Given 31 thank(s) in 11 post(s)

lol i went through pretty much the same when my mom found mah stach

[Image: AQUoEoe.jpg] [Image: L4WpLmZ.png]

School and the Allegory of the Cave Shooter | Username has no girlfriend! | Moon man, Moon man, can't you see?
02-10-2009 10:55 AM
Intrepid Ibex Offline
Rebel

ahaha yeah, i guess it doesn't help that i'm currently on probation for possesion of marijuana...lmao

02-10-2009 10:56 AM
AWOL Offline
The Spooning Bard

If you have it, and I can't stress this enough:
Quote:
    [list=]
  • [img][url]
    Hidden stuff:
    GET%20RID%20OF%20IT!
    [/url][/img][/list:u]

Anyway, someone explain, Ubuntu is a browser correct? Like IE and MF? If so, download MF. Much better, and you'll be able to run that things Soul suggested.

Also, we're all here for moral support.

02-10-2009 02:56 PM
returnal Away
cold like minnesota (brrr!)

Given 29 thank(s) in 26 post(s)

火 Wrote:If you have it, and I can't stress this enough:
Quote:
    [list=]
  • [img][url]
    Hidden stuff:
    GET%20RID%20OF%20IT!

Anyway, someone explain, Ubuntu is a browser correct? Like IE and MF? If so, download MF. Much better, and you'll be able to run that things Soul suggested.

Ubuntu is in fact a operating system.

woah dude
dude woah
02-10-2009 10:41 PM
Darthmat Offline
Fanatic

Given 41 thank(s) in 35 post(s)

I suggest deleting all of your AIM logs, if you can.

I highly suggest Mobb Deep's albums The Infamous and Hell on Earth, if you have not listened to it yet.
02-11-2009 08:43 AM
SoulRiser Offline
Site Founder

Given 1978 thank(s) in 1208 post(s)

Ubuntu, eh? Well, Truecrypt will still work. Not sure how portable Ubuntu apps are. What you could do is keep all your apps in an encrypted volume and keep Truecrypt on the USB stick, and just plug it in to decrypt your stuff.

"If you can, help others; if you cannot do that, at least do not harm them." - Dalai Lama
Help & Support - Get help with leaving school, unsupportive parents, and more.
Click here if school makes you depressed or suicidal

Support School Survival on Patreon or Donate Bitcoin Here: 1Q5WCcxWjayniaL92b8GfXBiGdfjmnUNa2
"Believe those who are seeking the truth. Doubt those who find it." - André Paul Guillaume Gide
"The true sign of intelligence is not knowledge but imagination." - Albert Einstein
"I'm pretty sure there's a lot of beauty that can only be found in the mind of a lunatic." - TheCancer
EIPD - Emotionally Incompetent Parent Disorder

Push Button for Collection of Useful Links:
Hidden stuff:
02-11-2009 09:57 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
PunchingYou Offline
Revolutionary

火 Wrote:If you have it, and I can't stress this enough:
Quote:
    [list=]
  • [img][url]
    Hidden stuff:
    GET%20RID%20OF%20IT!

ubuntu is an OS, and it comes with mozilla firefox pre installed if you get it lol.

JESUS SAVES... ON THE PRICE OF DETERGALL GLORY TO THE HYPNOTOAD!!
02-11-2009 09:57 AM
AWOL Offline
The Spooning Bard

Cool! Anyway, seriously get rid of the drugs if you have them.

And make a makeshift door. It's not that hard. And sneak out at night once in a while, go to somewhere wide and open, and natural. You'd be surprised how much stress this gets rid of.

02-11-2009 04:24 PM
returnal Away
cold like minnesota (brrr!)

Given 29 thank(s) in 26 post(s)

火 Wrote:go to somewhere wide and open, and natural. You'd be surprised how much stress this gets rid of.
Biggest problem is that I know my problems still exist, so it isn't worth it. (sorry cheddar if I hijacked your thread.)

woah dude
dude woah
02-11-2009 10:51 PM
AWOL Offline
The Spooning Bard

Then play violent games.

02-12-2009 02:45 PM
MM Offline
Fanatic

Given 7 thank(s) in 7 post(s)

Punch something inanimate.
02-12-2009 02:57 PM
Jackass McAwesome Offline
Fanatic

Given 24 thank(s) in 17 post(s)

MM Wrote:Punch something inanimate.

I used to have one of those dolls that stood up on a sort of axis and always righted it self when you smacked it around. It died cause my dogs mauled it. Poor thing. It had a spiffy voice thing too.
02-12-2009 03:51 PM