RIP School Survival Forums
August 2001 - June 2017

The School Survival Forums are permanently retired. If you need help with quitting school, unsupportive parents or anything else, there is a list of resources on the Help Page.

If you want to write about your experiences in school, you can write on our blog.

To everyone who joined these forums at some point, and got discouraged by the negativity and left after a while (or even got literally scared off): I'm sorry.

I wasn't good enough at encouraging people to be kinder, and removing people who refuse to be kind. Encouraging people is hard, and removing people creates conflict, and I hate conflict... so that's why I wasn't better at it.

I was a very, very sensitive teen. The atmosphere of this forum as it is now, if it had existed in 1996, would probably have upset me far more than it would have helped.

I can handle quite a lot of negativity and even abuse now, but that isn't the point. I want to help people. I want to help the people who need it the most, and I want to help people like the 1996 version of me.

I'm still figuring out the best way to do that, but as it is now, these forums are doing more harm than good, and I can't keep running them.

Thank you to the few people who have tried to understand my point of view so far. I really, really appreciate you guys. You are beautiful people.

Everyone else: If after everything I've said so far, you still don't understand my motivations, I think it's unlikely that you will. We're just too different. Maybe someday in the future it might make sense, but until then, there's no point in arguing about it. I don't have the time or the energy for arguing anymore. I will focus my time and energy on people who support me, and those who need help.

-SoulRiser

The forums are mostly read-only and are in a maintenance/testing phase, before being permanently archived. Please use this time to get the contact details of people you'd like to keep in touch with. My contact details are here.

Please do not make a mirror copy of the forums in their current state - things will still change, and some people have requested to be able to edit or delete some of their personal info.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
"Gifted Education"
Shadow of Sorrow Offline
Defiant

Given 0 thank(s) in 0 post(s)
"Gifted Education"

Most school have some sort of program designed for gifted students. My school is one of these schools, or at least claims to be. From 1st to 5th grade my gifted teacher was an amazing person that let us do projects and other activities that required us to actually think. I loved it because we didn't have to do any normal school work that required little to no actual thought and it was the only class that I didn't feel like a freak for wanting to actually think and use my mind.

Then I got the great "joy" of going to middle school. Sure the teachers treated us better and we had more freedom, but my gifted class became terrible. I had a new teacher that I can't stand and she completely changed the curriculum in our class. Now instead of doing exciting activities that let us learn about subjects that were interesting and actually applicable in the real world, all we our learning is math at a slightly faster pace than the rest of the school.

Why is this, you may ask. The reasoning behind this is that our new gifted teacher feels that gifted students have more of a need to learn math slightly faster than everyone else, than actually having some quality learning time. Basically, now all we do in our gifted class is learn math that we would have learned anyways, just maybe a year later. In my opinion this is not helpful to us at all, and the gifted students at our school would benefit much more from our old thought provoking curriculum.

Plus, if all this wasn't bad enough we no longer have a gifted program in high school. They decided to get rid of it because no gifted students were taking the class. Coincidentally everyone dropped out of the class at the same time we got our new teacher. I don't think it's a big mystery as to why all the students dropped out of the gifted program.

Okay, that's all I have to say about my school gifted program, but now I need to let off some steam about my teacher herself. She's an average teacher, and qualified to teach a normal class, but she doesn't know how to teach the unique minds of gifted children. Plus, she is the wife of our Vice-superintendent and old high school principal. This is probably why she got a teaching job in the first place. However, she decided that she didn't want to work for her husband, so she moved to a different school district. Then after a couple years she moved back to our school district. She has done this more than once and each time she teaches at our school district she changes things at the school, such as gifted curriculum. Then when she leaves the changes she made are usually put back to the way they were before she left. I'm hoping that she will again find a reason to move school districts so I won't have to put up with her. I honestly can't stand the way she tries to teach us and just wish she would move and never come back.

Shadow of Sorrow
03-24-2009 12:42 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
HeartofShadows Offline
Fanatic

Given 80 thank(s) in 73 post(s)
Re: "Gifted Education"

No offense but I never saw the point of gifted classes.
Its extra work that won't pay off in the future..

When you go to college they only barely glance at high school grades and all that extra work in middle school is time lost.

Your gifted elementary school classes sounded pretty cool though..

Nice name by the way..

[Image: WARZONES_subs_hostility.png]
image hosting jpg
03-24-2009 01:59 PM
returnal Away
cold like minnesota (brrr!)

Given 29 thank(s) in 26 post(s)

I feel the same way you do. Back in 5th grade, GT was nice, but now in 7th, the only difference between Science and GT Science is that it's done much faster and we're forced to do Science Fair, which sucks.

woah dude
dude woah
03-25-2009 08:46 AM
Gaiyara Offline
Pariah

Given 12 thank(s) in 7 post(s)

I would take the easiest classes, but the kids are always fucking pricks/stupid in the regular classes. At least at my high school. The difference between regular and AP/advanced classes is huge.

What should Gaiyara do Onii-chan? ♡

Hidden stuff:
[Image: clannad_sig_960-1.png]
03-25-2009 08:51 AM
Shadow of Sorrow Offline
Defiant

Now I'm even more mad at my gifted teacher. We were going to do a fun unit about architecture for the rest of the year and make our own paper houses, but instead we are just learning 8th grade math skills in 7th grade to prepare us for next year when we have to learn algebra. >:(

Shadow of Sorrow
03-26-2009 12:59 PM
JoshuaTheJew Offline
Rebel

I had gifted History in 7th grade, and I have to say it was the best class i've ever had. We talked about the actual subject for about 10 minutes, then we used that as a jumping off point and expanded from there, just talking about current events and things like that. Fantastic class.

Quote:LISTEN PPL I GOE 2 SKOOL I GET EDACATUN I LERN THINGZ N THEIR AINT NUTTIN RONG WIT GOEN 2 SKOOL. I GO 2 SKOOL DEN 2 COLLEGE TO GET GR8 JOB MAYBE EVEN BECOME GOOD LAWYER. SO U GUISE NEED 2 QUIT TRYIN 2 GET PPL TO STAY OUT OF SKOOL. SKOOL IS KEWL PPLZ.

That right there, is the true meaning of, Epic Fail.
03-30-2009 04:52 AM
Shadow of Sorrow Offline
Defiant

That sounds like my Spanish class. We never learn how to say very much in Spanish, but my teacher knows a lot about Spanish culture, so we always just end up talking about interesting aspects of Spanish culture. It's a lot of fun and I actually learn stuff.

Shadow of Sorrow
03-30-2009 11:12 AM
тωιѕтє∂ Offline
Revolutionary

Given 34 thank(s) in 24 post(s)
"Gifted Education"

My gifted class in middle school exactly.

It's my first time being in a real gifted class this year, and I think it's boring and stupid.

Everyone thinks I'm an idiot for getting bad grades, not paying attention, and roming around in class, but it's really just because I don't WANT to learn this boring stuff. I don't apply myself or give in any interest about it.

If I WANTED to actually learn this shit, I would be acing every test and be at the top of my class, no joke.

But it's just too boring.

Twisted The Twisted Smiley Belongs To Twisted Twisted

"Treat every problem as a challenge, not a dead end. And treat every question like an obstacle worthy of your effort." -my friend's wise Asian father (Sounds better in Chinese)

OBNOXIOUSLY HUGE AND NOTICEABLE
01-17-2013 12:31 AM
LOON_ATTIC Offline
A NERD

Given 60 thank(s) in 49 post(s)
RE: "Gifted Education"

(03-24-2009 01:59 PM)HeartofShadows Wrote:  No offense but I never saw the point of gifted classes.
Its extra work that won't pay off in the future..

When you go to college they only barely glance at high school grades and all that extra work in middle school is time lost.

Your gifted elementary school classes sounded pretty cool though..

Nice name by the way..

that's if you go to community college... then maybe it doesn't matter. Maybe you can just do well on the placement exams and skip a lot of classes, and maybe that'd make AP useless?
Otherwise being more advanced and taking a bunch of AP courses can give you college credit. I guess the only thing that really matters in middle school is your math level... ie if you can take Algebra I in 7th grade you can have time to take AP Calculus and AP Statistics in high school.
They should really let people advance further if they wanted to, though... imo school is way too restricting and doesn't encourage people to do more than WHAT'S REQUIRED at all, ever, almost. The only exception I've seen is that I'm taking AP Calculus AB but I'm self studying for the BC test because it gives twice as much college credit (two semesters!)

i feel sorry for the OP. I wasn't in any gifted thing early on because there wasn't one.
I was in a sort of "regular" math class in 7th grade but the teacher was actually really awesome (IMO) and got me interested in mathematics. I took Algebra I in 8th grade...
I guess honors classes are the same crap as regular ones except there's less annoying people and less distractions, and perhaps slightly harder tests and such. I find them easier because they're less annoying, but they often could be much better...
(This post was last modified: 01-17-2013 04:29 PM by LOON_ATTIC.)
01-17-2013 04:28 PM
wanted Offline
Renegade

Given 9 thank(s) in 8 post(s)
"Gifted Education"

careful... lunatic is a "spy" thats still in what? 7th grade?

FuFu
Dont. Give. A. Fuck.!
FuFuFu
01-18-2013 12:54 AM
LOON_ATTIC Offline
A NERD

Given 60 thank(s) in 49 post(s)

(01-18-2013 12:54 AM)wanted Wrote:  careful... lunatic is a "spy" thats still in what? 7th grade?

yeah i must be in 7th grade because i remember it WOW
01-18-2013 09:45 AM
IamNoone Offline
Pro Procrastinator

Given 63 thank(s) in 46 post(s)
"Gifted Education"

G&T classes were the best.

Every gifted class I had up till high school was actually fun and I actually LEARNED.

The purpose of life is a life with a purpose
So I’d rather die for a cause than live a life that is worthless
I don’t need the circus or the day of national observance
I need you to think for you and stop being a servant
-Immortal Technique, The Martyr, The Martyr
01-18-2013 12:21 PM
Trekkie_Aspie Offline
Fanatic

Given 120 thank(s) in 87 post(s)

We had three levels as I recall. There was the one for average students, then there was G/T. There was also Intervention which meant that you were too clever for standard program and too stupid for G/T enrichment - this was me.

If I seem rude to you, please call me on it gently.
One thing (among many others) school couldn't teach you.

((Google Asperger's Syndrome))

stupid article
02-10-2013 10:17 PM

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Gifted Programs Just A Minor Threat 34 13,697 08-11-2013 04:10 AM
Last Post: brainiac3397
  Gifted Students? Darkstripe 14 6,052 01-19-2013 08:00 AM
Last Post: thewake
  Gifted Teacher Rude to My Ghetto Gangsta students TheCancer 5 5,956 01-18-2013 12:50 PM
Last Post: thewake
  Gifted Kids cooltoonist 34 9,156 01-18-2013 12:33 PM
Last Post: IamNoone
  Why Can't the Gifted Learn? NightThoughts 40 25,556 01-18-2013 12:32 PM
Last Post: IamNoone