RIP School Survival Forums
August 2001 - June 2017

The School Survival Forums are permanently retired. If you need help with quitting school, unsupportive parents or anything else, there is a list of resources on the Help Page.

If you want to write about your experiences in school, you can write on our blog.

To everyone who joined these forums at some point, and got discouraged by the negativity and left after a while (or even got literally scared off): I'm sorry.

I wasn't good enough at encouraging people to be kinder, and removing people who refuse to be kind. Encouraging people is hard, and removing people creates conflict, and I hate conflict... so that's why I wasn't better at it.

I was a very, very sensitive teen. The atmosphere of this forum as it is now, if it had existed in 1996, would probably have upset me far more than it would have helped.

I can handle quite a lot of negativity and even abuse now, but that isn't the point. I want to help people. I want to help the people who need it the most, and I want to help people like the 1996 version of me.

I'm still figuring out the best way to do that, but as it is now, these forums are doing more harm than good, and I can't keep running them.

Thank you to the few people who have tried to understand my point of view so far. I really, really appreciate you guys. You are beautiful people.

Everyone else: If after everything I've said so far, you still don't understand my motivations, I think it's unlikely that you will. We're just too different. Maybe someday in the future it might make sense, but until then, there's no point in arguing about it. I don't have the time or the energy for arguing anymore. I will focus my time and energy on people who support me, and those who need help.

-SoulRiser

The forums are mostly read-only and are in a maintenance/testing phase, before being permanently archived. Please use this time to get the contact details of people you'd like to keep in touch with. My contact details are here.

Please do not make a mirror copy of the forums in their current state - things will still change, and some people have requested to be able to edit or delete some of their personal info.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Truancy is a dick, isn't it?
AgnosticFrostyGun Offline
Defiant

Given 0 thank(s) in 0 post(s)
Truancy is a dick, isn't it?

The United States is a litigation happy society where we have to regulate the hell out of everything and many relatively unharmful things that should otherwise be a voluntary system and not the governments business all of a sudden do and for reasons SS members can probably already think of.

You can't fuck a hoe because some dick tells you that it's wrong and litigates against your ability to do it because he says so. Other than problems with the spread of STDs and a magnet for crime, prostitution doesn't hurt. It was found, according to the History Channel, that legalizing and regulating it helped to both curb the spread of disease during the Civil War. Civil War prostitution was rampant and many people on both sides died not of gunfire, but syphilis. The city of Nashville itself was a hot spot for Civil War hoes and during the civil war it was made legal there and regulated and the infection rate of syphilis dropped drastically.

This is part of America's problem. Not only do we have a lot of irrational and underthought fears, but knee-jerk reactions often in the form of make it illegal and ban it. Can't fuck a hoe (sans Nevada), can't smoke weed (sans California?), ban the purchase of violent video games to minors, try and ban anything because we think it might be harmful. Legalization and regulation is better.

This system needs to piss. We shouldn't have alternatives banned or discouraged, nor should we ever be forced to do something like public eduction, not because of it's terrible state although it has that problem, but because it's public.

Public is a word we love as Americans. Public means for everyone and by some of our rights, it should not mean everyone has to do it.

We can protest in public, but we don't have to.

We can freely air our opinions regardless of taboo, but we don't have to.

We can drink from a water fountain, use a pool, go to a restaurant, but we don't have to.

But for some reason, we can go to school and we have to.

Puzzles me...

We don't mandate that everyone has to protest, exercise their free speech, or use public facilities on our whim as that is something we choose to do, but for some reason schooling is exempt.

The only true and acceptable exemption is us from this system us SS members have issues with.

Thankfully now with more progressive attitudes, we can work against this oppressive system with homeschooling. We have options, but thank the heavens, and I'm talking to the under-18 crowd here, that you have homeschooling and God willing if you have parents who are willing enough to fight it, you can partake.

Options are just that. Optional. But environment dictates the options you have and as many of you know, our worlds can be prisons.

I was incarcerated, so to speak, by the same anti-homeschool system mentality that many of you can easily relate to of truancy.

I remember that the first time I heard about this system was in seventh grade...

If anyone hasn't read my other thread "The deception of who and what's important...", I make mention of being diagnosed with Asperger's Syndrome at age 11 in October 1997.

When I first heard about this thing called homeschooling and found out what it was, I was all for it. My school life was turning into a living nightmare of wars against social subordination, teasing, and cold-heartedness that each and every day I struggled to fight. This system was not built for me, but homeschooling was. Under this, I would be able to turn the other cheek and fuck it all.

I repeatedly begged my mother not to take me to school, but now I'm begging her for homeschooling....

Before she told me it was the law and I had to go, but now she's telling me that I need to learn how to socialize and be around other people.

My opportunity was shot...

And what makes this more is the law of truancy caused the both of us pain. Not only was I mandated through Hell itself and then some, but my mother knew my pain and felt it hard...

She had fought hard to defend my uncle, her older brother who is disabled, when they were highschool students so she knew that I wasn't having it easy and it was history repeating for her. I remember her once crying and giving me both excuses.

She once told me many years later looking back in retrospect of a very painful day which I somehow also remember...

Every day when I went through middleschool, she would drop me off at the side of the school right on the sidewalk. Almost every time, I just stood on that sidewalk by myself and waited to hear the bell ring. Didn't want to stand with other students and a lot of them either didn't know I really existed, didn't understand me, or worse yet, didn't think much of me.

Ever day my mother would see me standing on the sidewalk and not moving on after she left and she knew why. She knew VERY well...

One day she remembers I was begging her very hard not to go that day because I was having a hard time with other students and I hated almost everything about this place. I was very depressed about having to go on what was a really bad day and she said now that as she drove away, she made the mistake of looking back at me standing on the sidewalk with my head bent down and sullenly still and I looked up at the car driving away with sad, confused, and scared eyes.

She cried the whole way home because she knew what I was going through, but I had to go because it was the law and thought I needed to be around people. Neither reason was ever really good enough for me. The law isn't always right and made for our good, there are other ways to be around people. This site has that ethos abound.

If my mother had otherwise thought better and allowed me some room to breath by taking me out of there and homeschooled me, I would NEVER have had the romantic heartbreak, sadistic backstabbing, boredom, self-confidence issues, self-doubt, unimportant matters, stupid teenage exaggeration of things largely trivial, or mass disappointment of public highschool.

I don't really hold contempt or resentment for my parents, but disappointment, a far lesser of the two evils, for this inaction. They were doing what they felt best even if they didn't really know what that was.

I was a crossfire casualty in this system left with scars that have taken me years to overcome and some I never will.

My experiences should never be shared or even had, so I strongly encourage all you young ones here that if the situation arises, take the opportunity and encourage your parents to LET YOU HAVE IT.

The system left me cold even to learning and it's only recently that I'm unraveling that tightness. I'd rather suck Osama bin Laden's fat sandy cock than go back to established education! lol
12-19-2010 05:43 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Prince Rilian Offline
attic fan

Given 57 thank(s) in 47 post(s)
Re: Truancy is a dick, isn't it?

Quote:We can protest in public, but we don't have to.

We can freely air our opinions regardless of taboo, but we don't have to.

We can drink from a water fountain, use a pool, go to a restaurant, but we don't have to.

But for some reason, we can go to school and we have to.

Puzzles me...

Yeah, they say every child having a right to education, but what they really mean is every children being forced into an "education".

And saving children from forced labor by denying them even the chance to work.

In other words, children are just stupid slaves who gives a shit about their feelings.

Life is good. Jeta është e mirë. Goingcrazy
Die lewe is goed.
Het leven is goed.

Zoidberg: What is it, already? What's the cause of your anger?
Leela: I guess I would have to say, I hate you!
12-19-2010 06:44 PM
LightAbyssion Offline
Revolutionary

Given 38 thank(s) in 21 post(s)

That's some tale... I live in Canada, but I can relate. These unneeded regulations run rappant everywhere.

This is why I'm a proud Libertarian. People should be allowed to do whatever they want, unless they infringe on another's liberty. If my neighbor wants to smoke weed, I let him. He isn't bothering me.

And homeschooling rocks. My parents, of course, rejected the idea. However, I went with it anyway, because it's my life. They accept it now, so I guess this gives hope to anyone willing to take a chance. If anyone want to know if your parents love you, just do it.

Moral of the story is: I'm a fucked up teenager thanks to this system, but at least it's helped me value freedom.

"Oppressed people might overthrow their tyrants, but not if they can count on one day joining the oppressors."
12-19-2010 06:54 PM
AngryCollegeDude Offline
Renegade

Given 7 thank(s) in 5 post(s)

I was fortunate enough to be homeschooled after a mere month of bullshit from middle school. The School Board douchebags gave mom some hell, but she was for me all along so it didn't matter.

I think it's a shame that there are (or were) states which forbid homeschooling. Truancy laws are some of the stupidest laws out there. I mean, so what a kid skips school. Has it ever occured to lawmakers that there's a reason he skips school. Maybe he needs a mental health day, maybe his parents want to take him on a trip, or maybe he just doesn't want to go. Either way, it should be the STUDENTS choice because it's the STUDENTS life (and the parents if they homeschool). This gives the schools way too much power, since they're already getting funded by the people, is it much to ask for not to be controlled by them?

The way I look at it, you should be able to make your own choices as long as you don't interfere with the choices of others. Too bad stupid conservatives, democrats, and lawmakers feel differently.
12-21-2010 07:08 AM
Elfy Offline
Fanatic

Given 64 thank(s) in 41 post(s)

I know, its bullshit right?

I don't want to go to school, I think I might take a nice walk down the sea front today and buy and ice cream and read a magazi- STOP RIGHT THERE CRIMINAL SCUM, BACK TO SCHOOL WITH YOU.

Its not harming anyone... school is nicely dressed up as a place for so called "education". When its naked, its just practically a work camp for the production of future workers for the government to earn more wealth and power. And its even worse when they have brainwashed the adults onto their side, it makes brainwashing children a whole lot easier...

Put it this way, you are FORCED to go a place against your will where you a FORCED to wear certain clothes (I live in UK), you are FORCED to be there for a certain time, you are FORCED to do work. And if you refuse, then your parents can be sent to jail and you could be put in a juvenile detention centre. Sound familiar to say, a concentration camp?

It is very easy to manipulate a young persons mind, they probably haven't devoloped their own views on the world and how things work. And by the time they come to think about it, they've been force fed so much propaganda and brainwashing by school they just accept it as "part of life", and they will go on to work, and so they create wealth for the greedy government and the cycle starts again with their children.

This is only one of many, many problems. We live in a society run by the big corporate business and their government pals, with mindless sheep who can't think for themselves and a set of police to keep bullshit laws in order. We have the news anchors spewing out propaganda left and right.

Take a look when you go to school... you will see people in every direction being loosely controlled by the man. It fills me with hatred that these greedy bastards take away the childhood of millions of children, force them into brainwashing work camps and say its for the greater good... YEAH FOR FUCKING THEM.

I GET LAUGHED AT FOR THE THINGS THAT I TRY TELLING PEOPLE AT MY SCHOOL, TO OPEN THEIR EYES AND THINK, THE GOVERNMENT IS NOT YOUR FRIEND. ALL THEY DO IS LAUGH, BECAUSE ITS SOCIALLY COOL TO DO SO. FUCK THE SYSTEM.

Quote:is it much to ask for not to be controlled by them?

Way too much in their eyes, its one of their main forms of controlling the next generation.

RIP SCHOOL-SURVIVAL 04/07/2019
[Image: tumblr_lpjpoqOyQ91qb8nljo1_500.gif]
12-21-2010 08:03 AM
AngryCollegeDude Offline
Renegade

Given 7 thank(s) in 5 post(s)

Quote:It is very easy to manipulate a young persons mind, they probably haven't devoloped their own views on the world and how things work. And by the time they come to think about it, they've been force fed so much propaganda and brainwashing by school they just accept it as "part of life", and they will go on to work, and so they create wealth for the greedy government and the cycle starts again with their children.

That's why I refuse to take "that's life" "that's part of life" and "life isn't fair" as an answer to why things work a certain way.
12-21-2010 08:45 AM
Sunbourn Offline
Proud crazy cat man

Given 289 thank(s) in 192 post(s)

School ain't about education. It's about doing what you're told for 12 (Or 13 if you go to kindergarten) years to get a piece of paper you can wipe your ass with, with the alternative being juvenile detention. I'd rather spend my time learning something I'll actually use in life, and I'd rather learn it on my own time, because forced education isn't true education.

My elementary and early middle school years were completely miserable due to bullying. I would've done anything to get out of school them. Eventually I was suspended for a couple years and I did nightschool which was much more tolerable. I've been un-suspended though and am currently a sophomore, at this point I figure I might as well finish. I know I'm on the road to freedom now at my age of 16....but the road seems endless.

Who am I? Who are YOU?
12-21-2010 08:48 AM
Trar Away
R.I.P.

Given 189 thank(s) in 125 post(s)

Sorta reminds me of the time I escaped the modern education system. I was clearly very disillusioned with it all and my mother saw my situation and pulled me out on the pretense of "homeschool". Then the vice principal came up to me and said that because I missed around 80 days of school that year I had to do MORE FUCKING SCHOOLWORK EVEN THOUGH I WAS OUT OF THERE. So I slogged through about most of it, dropping Monty Pythonesque parody answers all the way. Eventually I left the system for good, and life was okayish until we had to move to a different house...that was when my mother started being the nastiest bitch you ever saw. Jesus Christ, Mike Tyson would be scared of this woman.
12-23-2010 05:11 AM
Psychoqueen Offline
Revolutionary

Given 0 thank(s) in 0 post(s)

Last year I thought that they'd finally let me be home-schooled. Then the god damn psychologists said that it was my in my best interest for me to attend school, and they sent me back. Fuck, I might have the right to attend school, but I certainly don't have the right to decide whether or not I want to actually use that right.

I don't blame my parents for it though, as much as I might want to at times; I think, even when we had home schooling as an option, they were scared that anything they did differently might jeopardise my future.

Just two more years to go...
01-04-2011 12:55 AM

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Your thoughts on truancy laws ..V.. 21 12,576 11-13-2013 11:45 PM
Last Post: brainiac3397
  Truancy is deliquency James Comey 8 4,667 09-30-2013 03:58 AM
Last Post: brainiac3397
  "Intelligent Uniform" stops students from doing truancy Luizao876 35 19,656 10-09-2012 06:13 AM
Last Post: Trekkie_Aspie
  Talked to a truancy officer Stadium 13 5,025 02-01-2012 09:13 AM
Last Post: Dirtbikemike
  Kids' Health - Truancy AWOL 13 6,248 03-02-2010 04:28 AM
Last Post: The Desert Fox
  Advice for Truancy PSA needed Amortisatie 6 4,135 02-28-2010 04:58 PM
Last Post: Amortisatie
  Truancy Bullshit LOON_ATTIC 11 8,588 02-11-2010 03:28 AM
Last Post: AMomentOfClarity
  "Truancy" illegal in fucking CA, unschooling? LOON_ATTIC 4 3,997 09-17-2009 12:16 PM
Last Post: LightAbyssion