School Survival Forums
A vignette? - Printable Version

+- School Survival Forums (http://forums.school-survival.net)
+-- Forum: Learning, Youth Rights and School Survival (/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Forum: Homework Help & Answers (/forumdisplay.php?fid=30)
+--- Thread: A vignette? (/showthread.php?tid=5494)

A vignette? - whole.cult - 02-18-2010 10:59 AM

I have a write a vignette for English, either that or a narcissistic letter. I'd choose the former. I'm not sure how to write it though. Developing a moment in time for this is like this ineffably difficult task for me. Supposedly, we were supposed to write a moment from a few years back, at least. Therefore, we would have a more juvenile voice and style, but the idea is awful. I don't know how to do that. I want to write about something more recent and more significant to shaping my character than some silly ordeal with my brother or something. How would you write a general vignette?

Re: A vignette? - magikarp - 02-18-2010 11:24 AM

Does it have to be in the present tense? You might be able to get away without the juvenile voice if you're allowed to write it as a retelling of the scene some time after it happened.

Re: A vignette? - whole.cult - 02-18-2010 11:26 AM

The assignment never specified a tone of voice. But vignettes by Maya Angelou were given as examples, with the young style of writing. Our teacher is stressing "voice" in this. I guess it's like recalling whatever happened as if it were around that time period, when your personality and all that shizz is the same.

Re: A vignette? - returnal - 02-18-2010 01:49 PM

whole.cult Wrote:we would have a more juvenile voice and style, but the idea is awful.
Mrs. (YEAHTHATSHERNAMEBISH) never said that exactly, it was just something you could put in if you chose (FOR LIKE REALISTIC EFFECT!).

I prefer writing shitty fake letters dealing with narcissistic douchewits.

Also, it was Sandra Cisneros, not Maya Angelou.

Re: A vignette? - Aviator - 02-21-2010 03:31 PM

A vignette is simply a story. It doesn't have to be real, and it doesn't even have to have a super developing plot. It's simple purpose is revealing something about the author through the telling of a story or description of a situation. You can write it from whatever point in time you like, from whatever perspective you like - just make it your own.

Don't worry about writing it from a "younger" frame of mind or anything like that - some people can pull it off, and others can't. Really, the point of writing from a younger point of view is to show how that person saw the world at that point in time - usually at a moment that changed their perception of the world.

But, like I said, you don't have to do that at all. The great thing about writing is that it's not "wrong", it's... yours. Do what you want with it - because your best pieces are not those painted within the tight constriction of a jail cell, they are those composed while your heart is free.

And that's the point of a vignette, whether your English teacher thinks so or not.