School Survival Forums
"Public Intellectuals" of SS - Printable Version

+- School Survival Forums (http://forums.school-survival.net)
+-- Forum: The Lounge (/forumdisplay.php?fid=34)
+--- Forum: General Talk (/forumdisplay.php?fid=18)
+--- Thread: "Public Intellectuals" of SS (/showthread.php?tid=25462)

Pages: 1 2 3

"Public Intellectuals" of SS - Absnt - 03-21-2012 12:43 PM

Who are the "public intellectuals" of ss? A public intellectual is someone who is apt in their respective academic field and endeavors to bring about conversation with the public, stir up peoples beliefs, spread knowledge, and the like. Who do you guys think qualify?

Lol, I meant ON /ss/, not really IRL.

Also, this thread is now dynamic, nominate someone and I'll add them to the poll.

RE: "Public Intellectuals" of SS - HeartofShadows - 03-21-2012 12:48 PM

Used to do this when I was younger.

RE: "Public Intellectuals" of SS - Dirtbikemike - 03-21-2012 01:04 PM

I'm beginning to start to do this. Not quite there yet, but I'm going for it.

RE: "Public Intellectuals" of SS - Miller0700 - 03-21-2012 01:24 PM

I'm pretty bad when it comes to that stuff since I occasionally tend to stutter and speak very quietly.

Online? Sure.

RE: "Public Intellectuals" of SS - Dirtbikemike - 03-21-2012 01:41 PM

(03-21-2012 01:24 PM)Derchin Wrote:  I'm pretty bad when it comes to that stuff since I occasionally tend to stutter and speak very quietly.

Online? Sure.

Yeah me too but I'm hoping to really improve on that.

RE: "Public Intellectuals" of SS - UnschoolShqiponjë - 03-21-2012 03:15 PM

Once I start grad school I will be doing a lot of that.

RE: "Public Intellectuals" of SS - Efs - 03-21-2012 03:15 PM

A smart guy won't spread knowledge.
He'll keep it to himself >.<

But really, IRL if someone says something stupid or wrong I correct them without fear, no matter who they are.

RE: "Public Intellectuals" of SS - UnschoolShqiponjë - 03-21-2012 03:17 PM

(03-21-2012 03:15 PM)Efs Wrote:  A smart guy won't spread knowledge.
He'll keep it to himself >.<

But really, IRL if someone says something stupid or wrong I correct them without fear, no matter who they are.

Most of the time I do the same. I also try to do it respectfully.

RE: "Public Intellectuals" of SS - gore goroth - 03-21-2012 03:45 PM

Can you please elaborate a on that a bit more mr. A. Insomniac.

RE: "Public Intellectuals" of SS - bulgarianlion - 03-21-2012 06:41 PM

Sometimes. But I'm fucking awkward IRL, so I don't think if that works.

RE: "Public Intellectuals" of SS - Levio_Sah - 03-22-2012 02:49 AM

I get into arguments occasionally but the only things I know a whole lot about are radical politics and emocore. Well, mostly I know everything about emocore. I don't think that's very academic though.

RE: "Public Intellectuals" of SS - Sapphire Flames - 03-22-2012 05:20 AM

Stir conversation among the general public?

Does incite screaming and rage for fun count?

RE: "Public Intellectuals" of SS - Thought Criminal - 03-22-2012 06:05 AM

I can usually start a debate on something if it's a topic I'm really interested in. Not something I do too often though. I don't really qualify for it.

RE: "Public Intellectuals" of SS - Aya - 03-22-2012 06:24 AM

>>Intellectuals
>> SS

DOES NOT COMPUTE

RE: "Public Intellectuals" of SS - Thought Criminal - 03-22-2012 06:30 AM

(03-22-2012 06:24 AM)Aya Wrote:  >>Intellectuals
>> SS

DOES NOT COMPUTE

Laugh I dunno I can think of a few people that would fit. Most of them have left but Vatman is still around, If he doesn't start a debate he always has something good to contribute.

RE: "Public Intellectuals" of SS - thewake - 03-22-2012 06:38 AM

*Ahem.*

RE: "Public Intellectuals" of SS - Thought Criminal - 03-22-2012 06:47 AM

>Implying capitalists can be intellectuals

RE: "Public Intellectuals" of SS - M3116 - 03-22-2012 06:49 AM

I don't know. I just thought everyone here liked arguing.

RE: "Public Intellectuals" of SS - thewake - 03-22-2012 07:15 AM

(03-22-2012 06:47 AM)Thought Criminal Wrote:  >Implying capitalists can be intellectuals

Touche.

RE: "Public Intellectuals" of SS - Luizao876 - 03-22-2012 08:10 AM

Well,since everybody of my school thinks, and every random person thinks "OMG SCHOOL IS IMPORTANT TO GET A EDHU-CATI-HION SO FUCK OFF", spreading anti-school thoughts would be pointless. Also, I sttuter and talk really low.

RE: "Public Intellectuals" of SS - gore goroth - 03-22-2012 08:47 AM

"Intellectual" is an opinion.

RE: "Public Intellectuals" of SS - Sociopath - 03-22-2012 08:48 AM

(03-22-2012 06:24 AM)Aya Wrote:  >>Intellectuals
>> SS

DOES NOT COMPUTE

BUT AYA
YOU ARE THE SS!
...and then Aya was an unintellectual

RE: "Public Intellectuals" of SS - Efs - 03-22-2012 03:35 PM

(03-22-2012 06:47 AM)Thought Criminal Wrote:  >Implying capitalists can be intellectuals

Explain.

RE: "Public Intellectuals" of SS - The - 03-22-2012 08:23 PM

Not me. Im not good at anything legal

RE: "Public Intellectuals" of SS - Absnt - 03-28-2012 08:32 AM

Lol, I meant ON /ss/, not actually in the public sphere... When people refer to others as "public intellectuals" they generally mean somewhat famous and esteemed individuals in their field. Some public intellectuals include:

-- Noam Chomsky
-- Richard Dawkins *Caugh, Wes.*
-- Christopher Hitchens
-- Sam Harris
-- Thomas Friedman
-- Václav Havel

And the like.

So what I meant was, who do you guys think qualify for the "Public intellectuals OF SS".

Weswammy -- probably makes the list, for his spreading of capitalist ideas and overall use of reason.

Sociopath -- Trying to spread reason and shit. Although, he's kind of crude and he sometimes uses too much rhetoric.

HoS, in my opnion, comes close, although he doesn't specifically have a niche, and I'm not sure he counts because he usually doesn't get too far in depth with what he posts, just leaves us articles and shit.

Rebelnerd -- Certainly makes the list, for communist/anarchist ideas, and his incites into the youth rights/anti-school movements.

Ayliana -- Probably comes close, for spreading reason and engaging in a shit load of debates in an irritatingly reasonable fashion. (I might steal this tidbit for my "what I think about you thread lol.)

Soulriser -- She wrote a lot of good articles on the front page and pretty much started this website. She also engages in a lot of debates, or at least occasionally does, and she usually has pretty good points and shit when she does.

I know for a damn fact that I'm forgetting some people, so, what do you guys think? And feel free to dispute people who are on the list, but know that Pope Benedict XVI is on a "top 100 intellectuals" list. Just because we don't agree with the person doesn't mean they aren't "public intellectuals"...

RE: "Public Intellectuals" of SS - UnschoolShqiponjë - 03-28-2012 08:34 AM

Oh haha you meant on SS lol

RE: "Public Intellectuals" of SS - SaintVicious - 03-28-2012 08:54 AM

I would vote for lunatic on Linux matters.
I know quite a bit about computers, I don't post many articles on here about computers (only one was the 25 dollar computer) because I realize unless you are in the field you don't really care about zomg sandybridge

RE: "Public Intellectuals" of SS - HeartofShadows - 03-28-2012 09:11 AM

Absent I meant more years ago back when alot of the oldfags were around I would actually get into conversations.
Nowadays I'm much more interested in the opinions of other people and its why I always leave articles and threads asking and showing different things.

RE: "Public Intellectuals" of SS - Absnt - 03-28-2012 09:17 AM

^ Reminds me of one of my teachers lol, and that's a compliment because he's cool. He never gives his opinion but always asks questions to illicit peoples responses. He has told me his opinions before, though, because we tight.

RE: "Public Intellectuals" of SS - SoulRiser - 03-31-2012 09:37 AM

Ayliana would probably piss a lot of people off. xD
Which could be pretty amusing, but I'm unsure as to whether or not that would help SS in any way.

I actually tend to stay out of debates. Or at least I think I do. Not sure what debates you spotted me in... Razz

I think Absentinsomniac should make the list too. And Shippony (lol everyone calls him that). I'm probably also missing a few.