School Survival Forums
Your view on "cursing". - Printable Version

+- School Survival Forums (http://forums.school-survival.net)
+-- Forum: The Lounge (/forumdisplay.php?fid=34)
+--- Forum: General Talk (/forumdisplay.php?fid=18)
+---- Forum: Philosophy, Politics & History (/forumdisplay.php?fid=10)
+---- Thread: Your view on "cursing". (/showthread.php?tid=22922)

Your view on "cursing". - UnschoolShqiponjë - 12-04-2011 03:06 PM

How do you feel about cursing?

To me, words only have the power you give them. Though I do get enjoyment out of it when little kids curse because to me it is a display of independence and defiance. Everyone tells them cursing is bad but they do it anyway.

Recently I was eating with friends/cousins and a restaurant. I said "fuck" for some reason and a friend said, "watch the language there are kids around!" There was some 12 or 13 year old girl across from our table. This same kid also never uses curses around his 14 year old brother and yells at him for cursing.

I feel giving this un-deserved power to certain words is silly and generally a bad idea.

I tell my little cousins they can curse around me all they want. I let them know there are situations where they may not want to curse. It's funny because they don't even curse that bad. My little cousin is four and she dropped some toy she was playing with and said, "oh shit." Instead of yelling at her for a certain vocalization I asked, "Ishi what happened?" Why should anyone care?

I remember I was playing at school in like 5th grade. I fell and hit my knee really fucking hard and said, "ow that fucking hurt" Instead of asking me what happened a teacher flipped out because I cursed. She can go fuck herself in the ass with a cock made of bitching dick shit. Those curses are for her.

RE: Your view on "cursing". - Efs - 12-04-2011 06:06 PM

Well I swear/curse a bit. But I try and avoid when there's little kids nearby or the kind of crowd that will seem offended. I don't think it's a big deal though, I mean, as long as you don't swear every second word and do it in front of your family (I'm a family man Wink ) then I'm cool with it.

RE: Your view on "cursing". - LOON_ATTIC - 12-04-2011 06:10 PM

(12-04-2011 06:06 PM)Efs Wrote:  do it in front of your family (I'm a family man Wink )

You're a faggot if you're telling me not to curse in front of my family, my family and I curse all the time.

RE: Your view on "cursing". - Efs - 12-04-2011 06:14 PM

(12-04-2011 06:10 PM)Lunatic Wrote:  
(12-04-2011 06:06 PM)Efs Wrote:  do it in front of your family (I'm a family man Wink )

You're a faggot if you're telling me not to curse in front of my family, my family and I curse all the time.

Stuffed up there; well I guess it depends on your family. At my dads I can swear a tiny bit, but at my mums I can't say anything without her telling me off. To me it's just showing respect to them, but as I said every family's different.
EDIT: Plus I like my family so I listen to them...

RE: Your view on "cursing". - Land Of The NotSoFree - 12-04-2011 06:16 PM

I curse whenever I want to really. I do it in front of my mom and other elders but I know how to control it, which is weird because it just rolls out my mouth.

RE: Your view on "cursing". - Jesusaurisrex - 12-04-2011 06:35 PM

Legally cursing is not defined as speech because it is largely used to provoke anger rather than communicate, thus no value can be placed upon a curse word, so if your speech is suppressed in, lets say, a school environment, it is legally justifiable as your cursing was no or low value speech

(fuckthisgayearth.jpg)

also, story time, my dad, when he was six told his dad "no goddammit I dont want to", and my grandpa/his dad said "you can say that as much as you like right now, but you are going to regret it so bad later". of course, my dad did not give one fuck and did this until he was about 10 years old

when I turned six my grandpa spent a week teaching me to scream and yell "goddammit" to everything my dad said

Justice

RE: Your view on "cursing". - Efs - 12-04-2011 06:46 PM

(12-04-2011 06:35 PM)Jesusaurisrex Wrote:  when I turned six my grandpa spent a week teaching me to scream and yell "goddammit" to everything my dad said

Justice

LOL!

RE: Your view on "cursing". - HeartofShadows - 12-04-2011 06:55 PM

Tell your friend to grow a pair and that they are just words(told my friend when he told me the same thing).
Reminds me of AmazingAtheists planet wuss video.

RE: Your view on "cursing". - UnschoolShqiponjë - 12-05-2011 02:48 AM

(12-04-2011 06:06 PM)Efs Wrote:  Well I swear/curse a bit. But I try and avoid when there's little kids nearby or the kind of crowd that will seem offended. I don't think it's a big deal though, I mean, as long as you don't swear every second word and do it in front of your family (I'm a family man Wink ) then I'm cool with it.

My family curses a lot. So that is a non-issue. It is just that some of the family members decide to be the cursing police with the kids. It's annoying as fuck.

I also don't curse a lot. Just occasionally.

I also tell the kids there is a difference between saying, "oh fuck!" and "fuck you!". The latter many more people will take personal offense to and it could get them into trouble even as an adult.

RE: Your view on "cursing". - Prince Rilian - 12-05-2011 03:42 AM

The "bad" words are meant to express anger or intensity, so if you say them all the time, it's weird. And it's totally fucking bizarre how people don't want to say them in front of kids. But somehow it's associated with "low class" people to do it in front of young children, but otherwise it's ok.

I don't care, I would never get onto someone for saying a word like that. What's actually a problem is hateful speech, not "bad" words.

RE: Your view on "cursing". - Aya - 12-05-2011 04:30 AM

The vlog brothers on youtube just made a video on this;

Watch on YouTube

RE: Your view on "cursing". - Spiritus_Raptor - 12-05-2011 04:36 AM

Like Rilian said, it depends on context.

I've only ever cursed two times at my house, once when I split my head open on a piece of metal and shouted "GOD DAMMIT"

Then one time when I split my knee open, and yelled something like "SON OF A WHORE"

So yea, I've only ever been allowed to curse a couple times under extreme circumstances.

RE: Your view on "cursing". - SoulRiser - 12-05-2011 06:17 AM

Quote:My little cousin is four and she dropped some toy she was playing with and said, "oh shit."
Laugh
Awesome.

I avoid swearing around people who I know don't like swearing, and I avoid swearing around kids just because I know it'll probably piss nearby adults off... but that's the only reason. Razz

RE: Your view on "cursing". - Stadium - 12-06-2011 07:17 AM

Who decides words are 'bad'? It's idiotic, if you ask me. And I love to curse, the curse words I use have that ring to them, and they roll off the tip of your tongue...I'm fond of curse words in general.

RE: Your view on "cursing". - xydougie - 12-07-2011 03:10 PM

idgaf...

I'll watch my mouth when I'm around like familes and stuff.. I don't see why anybody cares though.
I mean it does get pretty irritating when some wanna-be gansta swears half the time but even then I don't think much of it

IT's infinitely more annoying when I'm around "those" friends who get on my back for every f-bomb I drop

RE: Your view on "cursing". - Luizao876 - 12-08-2011 07:16 AM

I don't have problems on cursing, really, who never cursed in their lives?

But don't curse a lot, or I say "STFU man"

RE: Your view on "cursing". - AWOL - 12-08-2011 02:53 PM

Words and words. They have meanings. Unless it's used against you personally, if you take offense to them you should be sent to one of the many wondrous places that have capital punishment.

RE: Your view on "cursing". - Superkamiguru - 01-18-2017 08:02 AM

(12-06-2011 07:17 AM)Stadium Wrote:  Who decides words are 'bad'? It's idiotic, if you ask me. And I love to curse, the curse words I use have that ring to them, and they roll off the tip of your tongue...I'm fond of curse words in general.

Your view on "cursing". - vonunov - 01-18-2017 09:00 AM

Hi Soul can you install an anti-thanks button thx

But while we're already necroing this thread with zero new information, here's George Carlin:

RE: Your view on "cursing". - HSHARK - 01-21-2017 01:04 PM

I don't curse in real life because everyone around me are respectful. I do sometimes curse online at disrespectful people.

RE: Your view on "cursing". - the Analogist - 01-21-2017 02:56 PM

my 3 year old said "fucking God momma".

no time out btw, the actual most effective way is to completely ignore that anything special happened.

I don't really want them to talk that way. I set a terrible example though...