RIP School Survival Forums
August 2001 - June 2017

The School Survival Forums are permanently retired. If you need help with quitting school, unsupportive parents or anything else, there is a list of resources on the Help Page.

If you want to write about your experiences in school, you can write on our blog.

To everyone who joined these forums at some point, and got discouraged by the negativity and left after a while (or even got literally scared off): I'm sorry.

I wasn't good enough at encouraging people to be kinder, and removing people who refuse to be kind. Encouraging people is hard, and removing people creates conflict, and I hate conflict... so that's why I wasn't better at it.

I was a very, very sensitive teen. The atmosphere of this forum as it is now, if it had existed in 1996, would probably have upset me far more than it would have helped.

I can handle quite a lot of negativity and even abuse now, but that isn't the point. I want to help people. I want to help the people who need it the most, and I want to help people like the 1996 version of me.

I'm still figuring out the best way to do that, but as it is now, these forums are doing more harm than good, and I can't keep running them.

Thank you to the few people who have tried to understand my point of view so far. I really, really appreciate you guys. You are beautiful people.

Everyone else: If after everything I've said so far, you still don't understand my motivations, I think it's unlikely that you will. We're just too different. Maybe someday in the future it might make sense, but until then, there's no point in arguing about it. I don't have the time or the energy for arguing anymore. I will focus my time and energy on people who support me, and those who need help.

-SoulRiser

The forums are mostly read-only and are in a maintenance/testing phase, before being permanently archived. Please use this time to get the contact details of people you'd like to keep in touch with. My contact details are here.

Please do not make a mirror copy of the forums in their current state - things will still change, and some people have requested to be able to edit or delete some of their personal info.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
I don't think I want to get married.
NowhereWoman Offline
Pariah

Given 11 thank(s) in 8 post(s)
Re: I don't think I want to get married.

I just don't want to marry at 23 or something thinking that that relationship is all that's possible.
I'd like to have kids one day, and NOT make any mistakes or anything. I guess I'd have to get married to have kids, just for the kids' benefit.
Someday, I'll most likely get married and have a child, but I don't want it to be a straight from college to marriage thing, I DON'T want to be a housewife, and I'd like to have MANY MANY traveling years 'single', with the freedom to have a relationship if I want or to not have one if I want.

An it Harm None, Do What Ye Will
An it Harm, Do Only What Ye Must

Lighten up! This life was made for experimenting, making mistakes, falling on our faces, and standing up to do it all over again.
Live for Learning.

Carla Franklin may be a whore. She may be a wonderful, kind, moral woman. Seeing as I don't know her personally, I cannot know for sure. However, I find her actions (suing Google, requesting the personal info of her critics, getting angry over random internet idiocy that she should ignore and be bigger than, trying to get this site in trouble because of a few users' commentary on the situation, etc.) pretty ridiculous and unwarranted. If she didn't want people to to be talking about/judging her, well 1. that's impossible, she's a human, and 2. she shouldn't have been a model or agreed to be on film. AND 3. she DEFINITELY shouldn't have sued Google and made all this fuss over a few random idiots whom she probably won't ever know expressing their opinion. Mmkay? MMKAY.
03-31-2009 09:39 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
SoulRiser Offline
Site Founder

Given 1978 thank(s) in 1208 post(s)

Quote:Oh and also, I could never be comfortable being involved in a polyamorous relationship.
Only once there were more people involved, or just the idea of the person not being entirely... 'yours'?

"If you can, help others; if you cannot do that, at least do not harm them." - Dalai Lama
Help & Support - Get help with leaving school, unsupportive parents, and more.
Click here if school makes you depressed or suicidal

Support School Survival on Patreon or Donate Bitcoin Here: 1Q5WCcxWjayniaL92b8GfXBiGdfjmnUNa2
"Believe those who are seeking the truth. Doubt those who find it." - André Paul Guillaume Gide
"The true sign of intelligence is not knowledge but imagination." - Albert Einstein
"I'm pretty sure there's a lot of beauty that can only be found in the mind of a lunatic." - TheCancer
EIPD - Emotionally Incompetent Parent Disorder

Push Button for Collection of Useful Links:
Hidden stuff:
04-02-2009 06:11 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
~Mystery~ Offline
Fanatic

Given 22 thank(s) in 18 post(s)

so which do you guys end up choosing? monogamous or polygamous?

People act unaware that the human body is a walking pharmacy![Image: rolleyes.gif]~David Icke~
Religion was invented to keep the poor from harrasing the rich"~Napoleon Bonaparte~
Do As Thou Wilt Shall Be The Whole of The Law! ~The Secret Order of Thelema~
"Respect goes to those who do not want it" ~TrueAnarchist~
"The only limitations that a person has are those that are self-imposed." ~Unknown!~
“Attraction is an emotion.~Dr. Alex~
“Life is an illusion albeit a very persistent one” ~Albert Einstein

I Am A Messenger From The Seduction Community!
Mint Member
04-02-2009 06:13 AM
SoulRiser Offline
Site Founder

Well, I can't imagine myself being with more than one person at a time (mainly due to the fact that I like lots of alone-time, and I'm really picky). Though I wouldn't ever expect the other person to only be with me if they wanted to be with other people too. So I suppose technically that's polyamory. Kinda.

"If you can, help others; if you cannot do that, at least do not harm them." - Dalai Lama

Support School Survival on Patreon or Donate Bitcoin Here: 1Q5WCcxWjayniaL92b8GfXBiGdfjmnUNa2
"Believe those who are seeking the truth. Doubt those who find it." - André Paul Guillaume Gide
"The true sign of intelligence is not knowledge but imagination." - Albert Einstein
"I'm pretty sure there's a lot of beauty that can only be found in the mind of a lunatic." - TheCancer

Hidden stuff:
04-02-2009 07:24 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Darthmat Offline
Fanatic

Given 41 thank(s) in 35 post(s)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sbqv3MwwVd8

Marriage should not have any real effect on a relationship. All it does is formally state vows that should already exist. There's nothing really wrong with it.

And women who marry aren't prostitutes... I've never read anything so dumb.

I highly suggest Mobb Deep's albums The Infamous and Hell on Earth, if you have not listened to it yet.
04-02-2009 08:32 AM
~Mystery~ Offline
Fanatic

Given 22 thank(s) in 18 post(s)

Quote:All it does is formally state vows that should already exist.

The people in Every individual friendship 'sex or not' design rules about 'their' own relationship('s).

People act unaware that the human body is a walking pharmacy![Image: rolleyes.gif]~David Icke~
Religion was invented to keep the poor from harrasing the rich"~Napoleon Bonaparte~
Do As Thou Wilt Shall Be The Whole of The Law! ~The Secret Order of Thelema~
"Respect goes to those who do not want it" ~TrueAnarchist~
"The only limitations that a person has are those that are self-imposed." ~Unknown!~
“Attraction is an emotion.~Dr. Alex~
“Life is an illusion albeit a very persistent one” ~Albert Einstein

I Am A Messenger From The Seduction Community!
Mint Member
04-02-2009 08:54 AM
Darthmat Offline
Fanatic

Given 41 thank(s) in 35 post(s)

I should have said that the vows were what I believe in, my bad. Others can do what they want.

I highly suggest Mobb Deep's albums The Infamous and Hell on Earth, if you have not listened to it yet.
04-02-2009 08:55 AM
NowhereWoman Offline
Pariah

Given 11 thank(s) in 8 post(s)

lulz @the video. Love that movie............

ENDTANGENT

An it Harm None, Do What Ye Will
An it Harm, Do Only What Ye Must

Lighten up! This life was made for experimenting, making mistakes, falling on our faces, and standing up to do it all over again.
Live for Learning.

Carla Franklin may be a whore. She may be a wonderful, kind, moral woman. Seeing as I don't know her personally, I cannot know for sure. However, I find her actions (suing Google, requesting the personal info of her critics, getting angry over random internet idiocy that she should ignore and be bigger than, trying to get this site in trouble because of a few users' commentary on the situation, etc.) pretty ridiculous and unwarranted. If she didn't want people to to be talking about/judging her, well 1. that's impossible, she's a human, and 2. she shouldn't have been a model or agreed to be on film. AND 3. she DEFINITELY shouldn't have sued Google and made all this fuss over a few random idiots whom she probably won't ever know expressing their opinion. Mmkay? MMKAY.
04-02-2009 09:18 AM
SoulRiser Offline
Site Founder

Quote:Both.

Except I don't think of any of my partners as "mine." I would just hate the idea of them running around and fucking other people. That sends me the message that I'm not good enough, and that they seek to fulfill my shortcomings in other people. It's downright insulting, and I wouldn't want to be with anyone who wasn't happy enough with me and had to go fuck other people.

Also, I have absolutely no respect for sluts. The idea of someone running around on their partner and fucking other people is extremely slutty to me, and I will not date someone that I have no respect for.

Ah. I think we misunderstood each other thar. The polyamory thing isn't about fucking other people, it's about being able to show affection to other people. Some people are okay with that including sex, others not so much. But basically, the sex part is irrelevant. I'm not so comfy with that whole 'fucking other people' idea myself. But I'm working on it.

Hidden stuff:
04-02-2009 01:19 PM
Freeman Offline
Pariah

Given 1 thank(s) in 1 post(s)

If I actually love somebody I want to be married, but nowadays it's more of an economic assistance than love. Luckily my parents are cool and probably won't get divorced anytime soon. I want to have kids though, I'll need a great successor once i'm dead, and I want him/her to carry on my name.
04-09-2009 02:31 PM
aaaaaaasd Offline
Grorious Moddu

Given 50 thank(s) in 38 post(s)

I'd be a bit pissed if someone that supposedly loved me ran around shagging other people.
Am I not good enough?

If people realise they don't want to live with this person, marriage just makes things complicated. And in England, the Family courts are biased against males, which is stupid. Kids should be able to live with who they want.
04-17-2009 11:43 PM
charliebonce Offline
Defiant

Given 0 thank(s) in 0 post(s)

Hmm, if such things were legal here, I'd be cool with a polygamous marriage, but only if everyone involved 'belonged' (I don't mean that literally, it's just the best word I can think of right now) to each other, if you get what I mean. So nobody would get 'priority' over anyone else and we all loved one another equally.

As for plain old marriage, I think if I met the right guy/gal I'd want to commit to him/her. And I know there's other ways to do that, but despite my general 'Fuck you society' attitude, I really, really like weddings and the paraphenelia (sp?) that comes with them. To me, a wedding is just a chance to celebrate your relationship and express the way you want it to be. It's also a way of showing the world how you feel about one another: for one day everyone you know will be able to share in your love and celebrate it.

- Chaz Out!
xxo
04-19-2009 08:07 AM
returnal Away
cold like minnesota (brrr!)

Given 29 thank(s) in 26 post(s)

Truth be told, I wouldn't want to be involved in fucking of any kind once I'm older, gay or not. Even though of course, love is not about sex.

woah dude
dude woah
04-19-2009 08:22 AM
classclown Offline
Fanatic

Given 7 thank(s) in 7 post(s)

the main problem is marriage is supose to mean forever. and nothing is forever not even life. what happens when you devote your self to that person like that for a while and then they die. what then do you go insane. or do you move on stay single what.

life is just blah blah blah. we hope for blah, and sometimes we find it. but mostly its blah. and waiting for blah. and hoping you were right about the blahs you made. and when you think you just got the whole blah damn thing figured out, and your surrounded by the ones you blah. death shows up and blah blah blah.
-weeds-

Death may be the greatest of all human blessings. -socrates-

Schooling us to prepare us for the career in need
Not caring about our interests and dreams to heed
04-19-2009 02:35 PM
SoulRiser Offline
Site Founder

People die whether you marry them or not. Being married to someone isn't the only way to get so attached to them that you'd go crazy if they died (which, btw, is a really bad idea and I wouldn't ever recommend that). You can love people without being attached in a bad way, though.

Hidden stuff:
04-19-2009 09:43 PM
monkey Away
Fanatic

Given 26 thank(s) in 17 post(s)

Mystery Wrote:I don't think I could. Marriage is a religious ceremony based on Christian ideology and the Victorian age when they actually listened to 'classical music' and the marriage song. So its fairly outdated.

promising to devote your whole life to one person is kinda big. no matter who they are, there is little that would make them any more special then the next to person. If I disagreed I would be speaking unfairly out of Bias. What if I were to meet new people? Would my wife yell at me for talking to a woman just because she was a woman?

People with trust issues or people who do it to follow society get really suckered into this marriage thing. People who have never read the Bible also get married.

I've been thinking about this because alot of people my age have this big fear "What If I NEVER get Married". So I guess the topic of marriage also gives people fear. Not to mention the feeling before the alter where you begin to regret everything.

I don't think I could marry unless the Chick was Uber Special and even so I think we'd be Compromising each others freedoms just because of a petty bias toward each other.

so what do yous peeps say?

I kinda agree, It seems so damn christian and Im atheist. But the main thing is I'm not sure I really want a wife, I mean there's always the sex but I like solitude. Also, hate to sound mean but I don't want to be stuck with the same person all my life. I want to meet new people.

Had to move on. Account is dead.
04-22-2009 02:34 PM
Murktomp Offline
Renegade

I pretty much agree with most of you guys/girls.
I wouldn't mind marrying a girl who I really love and would do anything for her.
Of course...so far...I am not even close to finding anyone like this.
People usually marry in late 20s? I'm already past half of that age..

[Image: thedeathbatrepublic.jpg]
04-23-2009 08:52 AM
Slaughter Offline
Rebel

My opinion can be summed up with one image:

[Image: funny-pictures-disregard-females-acquire-currency.jpg]

And then use said currency to have fun. Nothing serious for me. I just want to have some fun... before the end.
04-24-2009 12:32 AM
Maddy Offline
Rebel

I've noticed that it's very rare for a couple who've been married for a great number of years to still be completely happy together. Many people are too ashamed to file for divorce which is such a waste of life.
I've never really wanted marriage. In the playground in primary school all the girls talked about our dream weddings, but I never really wanted mine. I do hope I find my soul mate- maybe when I'm in my forties when I eventually settle in one place. For now, I can't wait to leave home and just go travelling and meeting loads of interesting people. And I DEFINATELY don't want kids!
04-27-2009 04:30 AM
Kitteneater Offline
Revolutionary

I completely agree with you, Mystery, for the most part. Why would someone fear staying unmarried? It makes me think people are marrying just to be married. Scary...
But marriage isn't just a Christian thing anymore- it's a rights thing, a joint account thing. If you are the father of a an unmarried chick's baby, and that kid is sick, you probably won't be authorized to see him/her. Johnny Depp got married because his kid got E. Coli- damn French- and he couldn't get visitation rights.

I'm a romantic though, most women are, and I think that a man getting down on one knee and saying "I only want to have sex with you. I want to have kids with you, and I want the law to recognize that," is the sweetest thing ever.

It would only be a nightmare if you married the wrong person...Which makes me hesitant to do it at all. I'm not really that clingy of a person. I need space and time to expel my creativity in solitude. So any type of binding agreement frightens me. But I do yearn for a certain type of relationship that is close and caring and mutual, without speech. Sounds weird and contradictory, but there you go.
04-27-2009 11:22 AM
SoulRiser Offline
Site Founder

Quote:But marriage isn't just a Christian thing anymore- it's a rights thing, a joint account thing. If you are the father of a an unmarried chick's baby, and that kid is sick, you probably won't be authorized to see him/her. Johnny Depp got married because his kid got E. Coli- damn French- and he couldn't get visitation rights.
The very idea of "visitation rights" makes me sick. The person who is in the hospital should be the only person who has a say in who gets to visit them. If they're not awake, well then I guess that's too bad. Then I guess someone else gets to choose, and hopefully that person isn't a prick. But when they are awake they should be asked about stuff like that.

Hidden stuff:
04-28-2009 10:05 AM
psychopath Offline
Fanatic

Given 60 thank(s) in 54 post(s)

I wouldn't really mind that much getting married...but I don't feel that I have to and I don't ever expect to do it
04-28-2009 06:41 PM
UnschoolShqiponjë Offline
Fanatic

Given 221 thank(s) in 148 post(s)

Marriage is (imo) an outdated ceremony based on religion. Pairing for the sake of having and raising children is cool... making sex exclusive between those two is fucking stupid. We are not monogamous. Open relationships FTW!

Live until you die
[Image: Untitled-1.png]
06-23-2011 04:03 PM
gore goroth Offline
trollface abbath

Given 74 thank(s) in 52 post(s)

I Love Weddings!!!! Drinks All Around!!!!!\
[Image: Jack_Sparrow.png]

[Image: 1127%20-%20animated_gif%20crazy_frog%20d...mortal.gif]
06-29-2011 03:47 PM
Efs Offline
Fanatic

Given 101 thank(s) in 70 post(s)

I COMPLETELY AGREE.
Marriage is strongly based upon religion, and it's a human generated stupid idea. Just stick to that love crap, marriage is just - blah!

(01-10-2012 02:15 PM)Maelstrom Wrote:  Efs, your nihilism is beautiful.
06-30-2011 09:37 PM
thewake Offline
Unconstructive

Given 296 thank(s) in 201 post(s)

For the record, I want to get married.

Efstratios Prime Wrote:I COMPLETELY AGREE.
Marriage is strongly based upon religion,
Marriage is cultural, primarily. Every culture has marriage, regardless of religion.

Quote: and it's a human generated stupid idea. Just stick to that love crap, marriage is just - blah!
I'm pretty sure love is a human generated idea. So is empiricism, logic, liberty, and the internet. I love human generated ideas.

[Image: nAOqYk7.png]

[Image: USVWSwj.png]
07-01-2011 02:27 AM
Efs Offline
Fanatic

Given 101 thank(s) in 70 post(s)

Weswammy Wrote:For the record, I want to get married.

Efstratios Prime Wrote:I COMPLETELY AGREE.
Marriage is strongly based upon religion,
Marriage is cultural, primarily. Every culture has marriage, regardless of religion.

Quote: and it's a human generated stupid idea. Just stick to that love crap, marriage is just - blah!
I'm pretty sure love is a human generated idea. So is empiricism, logic, liberty, and the internet. I love human generated ideas.
God dammit! Fine Razz
But I still think marriage is pointless. Just live together, marriage is just a label.

(01-10-2012 02:15 PM)Maelstrom Wrote:  Efs, your nihilism is beautiful.
07-01-2011 07:08 PM
LOON_ATTIC Offline
A NERD

Given 60 thank(s) in 49 post(s)

For the record, I don't want to get married.

YOUR OPINION IS WRONG
BECAUSE IT'S DIFFERENT FROM MINE

[Image: glorious666.png]
07-01-2011 07:35 PM
jnkbortka Offline
Crazy Redneck

I'm getting married as soon as I get out of HS. I'm already engaged haha. it seems I'm pretty fucked up aren't I? Biggrin
08-07-2011 01:11 PM
aaaaaaasd Offline
Grorious Moddu

Given 50 thank(s) in 38 post(s)

[Image: MTG-ThreadNecromancer_3198.jpg]
08-07-2011 11:48 PM

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Getting Married and Making Babies=A Woman's Success? genuine anarchist 38 7,588 03-11-2011 05:08 AM
Last Post: KittyKatBlack