RIP School Survival Forums
August 2001 - June 2017

The School Survival Forums are permanently retired. If you need help with quitting school, unsupportive parents or anything else, there is a list of resources on the Help Page.

If you want to write about your experiences in school, you can write on our blog.

To everyone who joined these forums at some point, and got discouraged by the negativity and left after a while (or even got literally scared off): I'm sorry.

I wasn't good enough at encouraging people to be kinder, and removing people who refuse to be kind. Encouraging people is hard, and removing people creates conflict, and I hate conflict... so that's why I wasn't better at it.

I was a very, very sensitive teen. The atmosphere of this forum as it is now, if it had existed in 1996, would probably have upset me far more than it would have helped.

I can handle quite a lot of negativity and even abuse now, but that isn't the point. I want to help people. I want to help the people who need it the most, and I want to help people like the 1996 version of me.

I'm still figuring out the best way to do that, but as it is now, these forums are doing more harm than good, and I can't keep running them.

Thank you to the few people who have tried to understand my point of view so far. I really, really appreciate you guys. You are beautiful people.

Everyone else: If after everything I've said so far, you still don't understand my motivations, I think it's unlikely that you will. We're just too different. Maybe someday in the future it might make sense, but until then, there's no point in arguing about it. I don't have the time or the energy for arguing anymore. I will focus my time and energy on people who support me, and those who need help.

-SoulRiser

The forums are mostly read-only and are in a maintenance/testing phase, before being permanently archived. Please use this time to get the contact details of people you'd like to keep in touch with. My contact details are here.

Please do not make a mirror copy of the forums in their current state - things will still change, and some people have requested to be able to edit or delete some of their personal info.

Poll: Should Students Be Forced To Have A Life Plan Before Graduating
Yes
No
[Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Students forced to have life plan as graduation requirement
Aya Offline
Banned

Given 45 thank(s) in 36 post(s)
Students forced to have life plan as graduation requirement

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/05/0 ... 56458.html

Quote:While schools across the country continue to balance budgets and consider different methods to make their students college-bound, Oregon representatives may have come up with their own solution to get students ready for the future.

In an attempt to increase Oregonians' employment options, the Oregon House of Representatives recently passed a bill that requires high school students to demonstrate a clear path for future education or job opportunities before they can graduate.

House Bill 2732, which was approved by the Oregon House on April 25, entails a student must complete and submit an application for a post-secondary education institution or apprenticeship program, enlist in the military, or attend an apprenticeship orientation in order to receive a diploma.

Beaverton Democrat Rep. Tobias Read sponsored the proposal, saying it will encourage students to consider career opportunities and think about their futures, reports the Oregon Daily Emerald:
"This bill does not intend to tell anyone what choice is right for them. It merely aims to prompt the consideration of those options and encourage students to think about what's important to them."

According to the The Oregonian, the bill passed 33 to 26, with about one-third of Republicans and two-thirds of Democrats voting in support.

Rep. Peter Buckley, a supporter of the bill, pointed out that Oregon's high schools aren't effectively preparing its students for the current job market, reports the Oregon Daily Emerald.

Buckley shared a story of a visit to a local high school several years ago where he surveyed advanced placement students in regards to their college futures:
"25 out of 28 AP students weren't applying for college...my heart broke at that point. This bill is a common sense bill...it will give (students) a push to fill out that application and say 'What's next for me?'"

Rep. Mike Schaufler, D-Happy Valley, disagrees, reports the The Oregonian:
"This is not about education. It's just one more piece of paper. It's one more hoop we're making people jump through to get the diploma they have already earned."

Parent Kevin Taggart expresses similar sentiment, reports reports KEZI:
"I don't think it's the job of the schools to force kids to think about their future. It's the job of the schools to teach the kids to be successful in their future."

But deciding where to draw the line between parent and teacher accountability is a tricky subject. Trying to define who has more power and influence over a child's academic success, and who should have more of a say in regards to decisions about the future of education, is a debate heard around the nation.

One student, Gina Tilton, realizes the possible benefits the bill could have in cases where parents aren't as involved, reports Central Oregon's ABC News:
"There's so many kids I know that parents aren't involved, you know? At least out in our own community. There's a lot of kids struggling on their own. They're worried about tomorrow. So, to help them learn about their future and have jobs later on would be a good idea."

Some critics argue this added requirement would just be an unnecessary and unfair obstacle given college application fees; it costs $50 to apply to a school within the Oregon University System schools, reports KEZI.

Read offers a solution: Applying to Portland Community College is free for all students. However, despite the fact that community colleges typically cost less when compared to state universities and private institutions across the United States, enrollment rates and class sizes are still factors to be considered in today's education climate.

Dana Haynes, Communications Director for Portland Community College, said that enrollment has been up at all of Oregon's community colleges, reported Oregon Capitol News:
"A lot of community colleges, especially the smaller ones, are at or above their own capacity and couldn't really take a lot more students."

As students, parents and representatives continue to weigh in on the debate, the bill heads to the Oregon Senate for consideration. If passed, the conditions will take effect July 1, 2012, and, depending on the bill's success, could encourage school districts in other states to implement similar polices.

I've already had it out with an educator in the comments section. My user name is Ayla87 if you want to take a look for yourself.

But to reiterate what I said: It's not the schools business what plans, if any a student has after graduation. A student has just as much a right to not go to college, as he does to enroll right after high school. This legislation is just another push by bleeding hearts (see the bold portion of that quote) to dictate the lives of other people and keep them institutionalized for at least another four years.

My guidance counselor tried this same shit with me. She called my mom one day because she was 'concerned' for my future. In reality I was refusing to apply to college or sign up for any electives my senior year. I walked into her office the next day and told her that I didn't give a damn about her concern and that she should mind her own fucking business. Biggrin
05-08-2011 04:01 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Faby Offline
work in progress

Given 61 thank(s) in 45 post(s)
Re: Students forced to have life plan as graduation requirement

I'm so-so on this one.

It's a good idea to try to make people think about their future more, but forcing them to do so is a lousy idea.

Once again, this is proof of how school systems, while trying to reach for guidance, fall short into coercion.

Let go of all desire for the common good, and the good becomes common as grass.

~~

Good fortune follows upon disaster;
Disaster lurks within good fortune;
Who can say how things will end?
Perhaps there is no end.
05-08-2011 04:11 AM
 Thanks given by: The man
SaintVicious Offline
Banned

Given 85 thank(s) in 60 post(s)

O god the seething rage of being told what to do.
If someone doesnt want to go to college then who fucking cares let them do what they want this is supposed to be a free country, but thats been gone along time ago.
05-08-2011 04:22 AM
Crow Offline
Revolutionary

Given 2 thank(s) in 2 post(s)

The country is free, the people are not, I guess..

I'm so sick of all these people but I'm scared to be alone...
05-08-2011 05:09 AM
Psychoqueen Offline
Revolutionary

Given 0 thank(s) in 0 post(s)

Good idea to try and get people to think about the future, bad idea to force them to.
05-08-2011 03:39 PM
SoulRiser Offline
Site Founder

Given 1978 thank(s) in 1208 post(s)

Oh lol. A life plan? When you're still in high school? I took a year off after school 'cause I had no idea what kind of job/career/slavery path I wanted to go into would prefer to living with my parental units forever. This is more likely to encourage people to stick with something they don't particularly like ('cause they already signed up for it), rather than encourage them to think about what they actually want. It's a big world out there, and school sucks horribly at representing the vast options that actually exist. It takes time to figure out what's going on out there and it seems they want to suck up as much of everyone's free time as they possibly can.

"If you can, help others; if you cannot do that, at least do not harm them." - Dalai Lama
Help & Support - Get help with leaving school, unsupportive parents, and more.
Click here if school makes you depressed or suicidal

Support School Survival on Patreon or Donate Bitcoin Here: 1Q5WCcxWjayniaL92b8GfXBiGdfjmnUNa2
"Believe those who are seeking the truth. Doubt those who find it." - André Paul Guillaume Gide
"The true sign of intelligence is not knowledge but imagination." - Albert Einstein
"I'm pretty sure there's a lot of beauty that can only be found in the mind of a lunatic." - TheCancer
EIPD - Emotionally Incompetent Parent Disorder

Push Button for Collection of Useful Links:
Hidden stuff:
05-08-2011 07:53 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
StaticSky Offline
Defiant

Given 0 thank(s) in 0 post(s)

The future is nice to think about, but they have no right to force these life plans and shove it down their throats. I'm all for encouragement but making demands on what I should do with my life is just plainly and simply wrong.

And what's wrong with not having a clue to what I'm supposed to do after high school? I think it's the best kind of soul-searching, and you get to do what you love to do, not some job you clearly have no interest in.
05-10-2011 12:34 AM
SH☮TGUNHEⒶRT Offline
Hi, I 'm anti-civ.

Given 9 thank(s) in 8 post(s)

There is no way i want to go to college.

To be an anarchist, is to suffer greatly. To be a black woman is to suffer secretly. To be the earth, is to suffer silently.

I wish no harm on anyone, but those whose harmful ways will not stop without the same harm.

It's time we kill this cancerous system, before it kills us and everything left of gaia. Rise from our immaturity and take back our autonomy!

[Image: 2010-10-04-lost-my-appetite.jpg]
05-10-2011 08:21 AM
Reptorian Offline
Fanatic

Given 18 thank(s) in 13 post(s)

School often encourage students to develop life plans and actually have them to pursue it as observed by the American people who is into the belief of the American Dream which has been started after the early 1900s while it becomes more widespread after wwii. It's not only the school that provokes this idea to be implemented, but many parents who believes into the American dream has been another force that have been brought upon to get this idea implemented after many years. Over years, people have been admitting that the school teachers' ideas aren't in the right direction and even teachers themselves are moving into a new direction on how to treat their students (observation based on experience) which results in having some of those in position of powers trying to coerce students into actually caring about what's goes on in the past, present, and the future. What is being observed in recent times are the clashes of opinions regarding the school system while apathy starts to rise even though the students have shown no real objections to the school system.

The issues that this idea may cause is the fact that it may creates conflicting emotions for students who absolutely feel mortified by the effect of society and the coercion of the school system. In the future, some will feel the life plan that they encourage will not work out due to the uncertainty of the future, economical issues, and the fact that it may creates social coercion that may conflicts with the individual's desire to follow certain ways of working out through the times flying by. It is redeemed as unconstitutional because it violates the right for the individual to have the right to choose to be silent or to express oneself under their own consent. The more ideas that the schooling system creates for attempting for the american dream to be enforced throughout the future, the more apathy and concerns will it creates for the general population of the future due to the conclusions that may be brought by previous sentiments.

ZZZ...
05-10-2011 09:41 AM
psychopath Offline
Fanatic

Given 60 thank(s) in 54 post(s)

SoulRiser Wrote:Oh lol. A life plan? When you're still in high school? I took a year off after school 'cause I had no idea what kind of job/career/slavery path I wanted to go into would prefer to living with my parental units forever. This is more likely to encourage people to stick with something they don't particularly like ('cause they already signed up for it), rather than encourage them to think about what they actually want. It's a big world out there, and school sucks horribly at representing the vast options that actually exist. It takes time to figure out what's going on out there and it seems they want to suck up as much of everyone's free time as they possibly can.

This. +11111111
05-10-2011 06:28 PM
HeartofShadows Offline
Fanatic

Given 80 thank(s) in 73 post(s)

My memory must be slipping but I remember Psychopath turning pro school once he got a job.

Well on topic having a guideline is nice but having a detailed plan is very pointless as the future is very damn unpredictable and decisions that have an effect on someone's life shouldn't be part of some bullshit assignment.

[Image: WARZONES_subs_hostility.png]
image hosting jpg
05-10-2011 06:43 PM
psychopath Offline
Fanatic

Given 60 thank(s) in 54 post(s)

HeartofShadows Wrote:My memory must be slipping but I remember Psychopath turning pro school once he got a job.

Lolwut, no way. I only became non-emo, I still hate school and I always will. People think kids hate school cause they're kids but I can still see a difference between myself and people who used to love school.
05-10-2011 06:48 PM
HeartofShadows Offline
Fanatic

Given 80 thank(s) in 73 post(s)

psychopath Wrote:Lolwut, no way. I only became non-emo, I still hate school and I always will. People think kids hate school cause they're kids but I can still see a difference between myself and people who used to love school.

You were emo?
I remember you being angry and a bit spiteful but never the level of pity and emo I see in voices in my head.

[Image: WARZONES_subs_hostility.png]
image hosting jpg
05-10-2011 06:53 PM
Geeksta Offline
Revolutionary

Given 3 thank(s) in 3 post(s)

Those are super-emoes. He might have been emo by normal standards, but not by the standards of SS.

Freedom is never given; it is always taken. So for the fact that you're not a slave, don't thank those in authority. Thank someone with a "bad attitude."
-Kevin Carson

sexual abuse of sheep is baaaaaaaaad
-BaronVonStrangle

School brings us together, but it doesn't bring us together
-Derchin

We lost Vietnam cuz we didn't train our soldiers to quickscope.
-gore goroth
05-14-2011 05:03 AM
flann Offline
Revolutionary

Given 7 thank(s) in 7 post(s)

I do not support.

I do support making them think about the future, but it seems #1 Stalkerish #2 A prediction of a changing life #3 Enforced

War is stupid.
05-20-2011 10:40 AM
Geeksta Offline
Revolutionary

Given 3 thank(s) in 3 post(s)

flann Wrote:I do not support.

I do support making them think about the future, but it seems #1 Stalkerish #2 A prediction of a changing life #3 Enforced
This

Freedom is never given; it is always taken. So for the fact that you're not a slave, don't thank those in authority. Thank someone with a "bad attitude."
-Kevin Carson

sexual abuse of sheep is baaaaaaaaad
-BaronVonStrangle

School brings us together, but it doesn't bring us together
-Derchin

We lost Vietnam cuz we didn't train our soldiers to quickscope.
-gore goroth
05-20-2011 11:18 AM

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  graduation practice L0KI 3 2,382 02-15-2017 12:01 AM
Last Post: L0KI
  HOW DO I GET OUT OF THE NEW COLLEGE MATH REQUIREMENT? FRUSTRATED!!!235 2 2,112 10-17-2016 08:51 AM
Last Post: FRUSTRATED!!!235
  Graduation is not worth celebrating Sunbourn 2 2,262 04-27-2013 10:31 AM
Last Post: brainiac3397
  The Absurd Requirement of Community Service brainiac3397 7 11,317 03-31-2013 02:23 AM
Last Post: Ky
  no requirements = no clearance = no graduation mehkitten 1 1,975 03-20-2013 06:59 AM
Last Post: brainiac3397
  Graduation Coming Up ExpiredDough 7 3,705 05-18-2012 02:58 PM
Last Post: ExpiredDough
  Is Going To Graduation Worth It?? EnemyOfTheState 13 5,046 12-09-2010 04:17 AM
Last Post: Prince Rilian
  Graduation: Yes, you can fuck THAT up, too. ChickenLeg 9 4,109 06-06-2009 11:56 AM
Last Post: Aviator
  Anothr requirement again. Jen 0 1,327 03-13-2009 09:46 PM
Last Post: Jen
  Graduation is stupid Tasty Waffles 17 6,405 06-13-2008 05:32 PM
Last Post: Tasty Waffles