RIP School Survival Forums
August 2001 - June 2017

The School Survival Forums are permanently retired. If you need help with quitting school, unsupportive parents or anything else, there is a list of resources on the Help Page.

If you want to write about your experiences in school, you can write on our blog.

To everyone who joined these forums at some point, and got discouraged by the negativity and left after a while (or even got literally scared off): I'm sorry.

I wasn't good enough at encouraging people to be kinder, and removing people who refuse to be kind. Encouraging people is hard, and removing people creates conflict, and I hate conflict... so that's why I wasn't better at it.

I was a very, very sensitive teen. The atmosphere of this forum as it is now, if it had existed in 1996, would probably have upset me far more than it would have helped.

I can handle quite a lot of negativity and even abuse now, but that isn't the point. I want to help people. I want to help the people who need it the most, and I want to help people like the 1996 version of me.

I'm still figuring out the best way to do that, but as it is now, these forums are doing more harm than good, and I can't keep running them.

Thank you to the few people who have tried to understand my point of view so far. I really, really appreciate you guys. You are beautiful people.

Everyone else: If after everything I've said so far, you still don't understand my motivations, I think it's unlikely that you will. We're just too different. Maybe someday in the future it might make sense, but until then, there's no point in arguing about it. I don't have the time or the energy for arguing anymore. I will focus my time and energy on people who support me, and those who need help.

-SoulRiser

The forums are mostly read-only and are in a maintenance/testing phase, before being permanently archived. Please use this time to get the contact details of people you'd like to keep in touch with. My contact details are here.

Please do not make a mirror copy of the forums in their current state - things will still change, and some people have requested to be able to edit or delete some of their personal info.

Poll: Do you hate parental controls?
yes
no
[Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Oh No!
pilotguy182 Offline
Aviation Missionary

Given 0 thank(s) in 0 post(s)
Oh No!

My school has a Wi-Fi network, but it sucks to say the very least!
(This post was last modified: 01-01-2013 12:03 PM by pilotguy182.)
05-09-2011 01:38 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
LOON_ATTIC Offline
A NERD

Given 60 thank(s) in 49 post(s)
Re: Oh No!

Well that sucks, good luck dude.
Where would you put this wireless router? Do you mean you'd connect it to a wired modem at school?

[Image: glorious666.png]
05-09-2011 01:54 PM
LOON_ATTIC Offline
A NERD

...Haha oh wow. That sucks. Censorfags.
So much for fucking freedom. They steal your property and call it "confiscating".

05-10-2011 10:48 AM
Bob Dole Offline
Fanatic

Given 23 thank(s) in 19 post(s)

Okay...
A. They didn't suspend you for introducing vulnerabilities to the network?
B. Their network accepted packets from your wireless router?
C. There's a reason they don't let you use nerf guns in school. It's called liability. If you get hurt by one of the things, they get sued. Thank all of the lawsuit-happy jackasses. Not really the school's fault.

You also have either some of the nicest or most incompetent techs in the world at your school. Confiscating the router was actually justified in this case, just to see if there was any sort of malicious bullshit going on with an unsecured router that just popped up on their network.

K
S
05-10-2011 12:17 PM
Thought Criminal Offline
Frame 313

Given 106 thank(s) in 80 post(s)

[Image: kool-aid-man.jpg]
05-10-2011 02:36 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Elfy Offline
Fanatic

Given 64 thank(s) in 41 post(s)

You know what? FUCK IT!!!!

[Image: billo.png]

We'll do it LIVE

RIP SCHOOL-SURVIVAL 04/07/2019
[Image: tumblr_lpjpoqOyQ91qb8nljo1_500.gif]
05-10-2011 04:03 PM
Bob Dole Offline
Fanatic

Given 23 thank(s) in 19 post(s)

pilotguy182 Wrote:
FightforRight Wrote:Okay...

You also have either some of the nicest or most incompetent techs in the world at your school. Confiscating the router was actually justified in this case, just to see if there was any sort of malicious bullshit going on with an unsecured router that just popped up on their network.

the router was secured and with the SSID Nazis broadcasting and was on for under 3 minutes. I get i back tommorow. Ive plugged it in at Internet cafes, my house, at my school when there was something going on at night. Its always been secured!
Okay, let's talk actions and consequences.

Unauthorized wireless routers sure as fuck wasn't secured from the school's IT employees' perspective. In fact, in corporate espionage, one of the best little tricks to gain unauthorized access to a network is to leave a little WAP behind, plugged into the network, not broadcasting an SSID.

Now, the tech guys are running a pretty loose, flexible setup. You can plug in any sort of device to the network and it'll work without any prior authorization. So there's no paperwork to do for any of the staff or students who need to plug a printer or laptop in for a quick bit. There's no security measures in place to make sure that you can't dick around with their network. They're nice guys, they figure they'll leave it mostly open so curious students can poke around and have some fun, and so they have to spend less time micromanaging the network.

Do you realize what you've done? By deciding that you wanted to be "rebellious", and broadcast the SSID "Nazis", you've risked bringing all that down and making for more work for the IT technicians and making subversion of the network harder for other students. Do you know how easy it is to lock down a network? It's time intensive, but by tomorrow, those aforementioned technicians could make it so that you can't use any computer system that isn't specifically preapproved by them. And they would be fully justified in doing it, because now that somebody's gone and done something stupid, they'll probably lose their job if they don't secure the network against such a thing happening again.

Because your technical description is lacking, I'm forced to assume that they use a RADIUS server to authenticate users on the wireless network, but due to some misconfiguration of their network on their part, it allows your rogue wireless router onto the network and to connect to the internet. Either that or a proxy server that serves up that aforementioned "questionnaire" before you're granted access to the Internet, as well as the bandwidth limit. Maybe a combination of both.

Oh, and here's another thing, your school has a limited bandwidth connection to the Internet. So whenever you and two dozen other people are on Youtube, streaming video, you're slowing the connection for everyone. Congratulations, you're disproportionately taking up network resources.

Also, picking up SSIDs from wireless access points or routers not broadcasting them is easy enough. Kismet.

K
S
05-10-2011 05:00 PM
Sociopath Offline
©o℗yright Infringe®

Given 160 thank(s) in 104 post(s)

FightforRight Wrote:
pilotguy182 Wrote:
FightforRight Wrote:Okay...

the router was secured and with the SSID Nazis broadcasting and was on for under 3 minutes. I get i back tommorow. Ive plugged it in at Internet cafes, my house, at my school when there was something going on at night. Its always been secured!
Okay, let's talk actions and consequences.

Unauthorized wireless routers sure as fuck wasn't secured from the school's IT employees' perspective. In fact, in corporate espionage, one of the best little tricks to gain unauthorized access to a network is to leave a little WAP behind, plugged into the network, not broadcasting an SSID.

Now, the tech guys are running a pretty loose, flexible setup. You can plug in any sort of device to the network and it'll work without any prior authorization. So there's no paperwork to do for any of the staff or students who need to plug a printer or laptop in for a quick bit. There's no security measures in place to make sure that you can't dick around with their network. They're nice guys, they figure they'll leave it mostly open so curious students can poke around and have some fun, and so they have to spend less time micromanaging the network.

Do you realize what you've done? By deciding that you wanted to be "rebellious", and broadcast the SSID "Nazis", you've risked bringing all that down and making for more work for the IT technicians and making subversion of the network harder for other students. Do you know how easy it is to lock down a network? It's time intensive, but by tomorrow, those aforementioned technicians could make it so that you can't use any computer system that isn't specifically preapproved by them. And they would be fully justified in doing it, because now that somebody's gone and done something stupid, they'll probably lose their job if they don't secure the network against such a thing happening again.

Because your technical description is lacking, I'm forced to assume that they use a RADIUS server to authenticate users on the wireless network, but due to some misconfiguration of their network on their part, it allows your rogue wireless router onto the network and to connect to the internet. Either that or a proxy server that serves up that aforementioned "questionnaire" before you're granted access to the Internet, as well as the bandwidth limit. Maybe a combination of both.

Oh, and here's another thing, your school has a limited bandwidth connection to the Internet. So whenever you and two dozen other people are on Youtube, streaming video, you're slowing the connection for everyone. Congratulations, you're disproportionately taking up network resources.

Also, picking up SSIDs from wireless access points or routers not broadcasting them is easy enough. Kismet.
Yeah? Well fuck it. If the IT guys lose their jobs, they deserve it for being assholes and supporting the school system by working there. If every teacher/staff member got fired for something like this then its a GOOD thing. No staff = No school. Pilotguy is doing the right thing here.

Hidden stuff:
TRIGGER WARNING: THIS TRIGGER WARNING CONTAINS TRIGGER WARNINGS!

Dear Tumblrites: Despite your wrongly self-diagnosed PTSD, no line of scientific evidence suggests people can be triggered over the internet. Triggering works through the senses (i.e. smell, taste, touch, vision, hearing.) but it goes through real time; if you're not experiencing it in real life as it's ACTUALLY HAPPENING in your ACTUAL life, you CANNOT be triggered. The only exception to this is if you have a seizure, but then again, that's triggered by epilepsy (i.e. rapidly-changing flashing lights) NOT PTSD. Remembering a bad incident is NOT the same thing as having a flashback. When you remember, you think; when you flashback, you feel.

#HashTagsAreForIdiots

[Image: violator_blackbg_110x32.gif]
Max Stirnir Wrote:"In the time of spirits thoughts grew till they overtopped my head, whose offspring they yet were; they hovered about me and convulsed me like fever-phantasies -- an awful power. The thoughts had become corporeal on their own account, were ghosts, e. g. God, Emperor, Pope, Fatherland, etc. If I destroy their corporeity, then I take them back into mine, and say: "I alone am corporeal." And now I take the world as what it is to me, as mine, as my property; I refer all to myself." The Ego and Its Own, pg. 15
Charles Manson Wrote:“Look down at me and you see a fool;
look up at me and you see a god;
look straight at me and you see yourself”
HeartofShadows Wrote:"Life is nothing more than a druggie trying to get their quick fix of happiness while dealing with the harsh withdrawal of reality"
Osip Mandelstam Wrote:"I divide all of world literature into authorized and unauthorized works. The former are all trash; the latter--stolen air. I want to spit in the face of every writer who first obtains permission and then writes." The Fourth Prose, 1930.
Lukas Foss Wrote:That is why the analogy of stealing does not work. With a thief, we want to know how much money he stole, and from whom. With the artist it is not how much he took and from whom, but what he did with it.
PIRATE Pirate2 MEMBER
 Pirate Join the crew!Pirate
05-13-2011 07:37 AM
LOON_ATTIC Offline
A NERD

Heh, I love it when people blame those who "cause" (when they do nothing wrong, though "rebellious"/against the rules) those in power to fuck shit up, instead of those in power themselves.

05-13-2011 09:12 AM
Sociopath Offline
©o℗yright Infringe®

Given 160 thank(s) in 104 post(s)

Lunatic Wrote:Heh, I love it when people blame those who "cause" (when they do nothing wrong, though "rebellious"/against the rules) those in power to fuck shit up, instead of those in power themselves.
So, if a man donated millions of dollars to fund a genocide while he never shot a person himself, is not in power?, and hasn't done anything destructive at all? No. He has.

and like I said: No Staff = No school

Hidden stuff:
TRIGGER WARNING: THIS TRIGGER WARNING CONTAINS TRIGGER WARNINGS!

Dear Tumblrites: Despite your wrongly self-diagnosed PTSD, no line of scientific evidence suggests people can be triggered over the internet. Triggering works through the senses (i.e. smell, taste, touch, vision, hearing.) but it goes through real time; if you're not experiencing it in real life as it's ACTUALLY HAPPENING in your ACTUAL life, you CANNOT be triggered. The only exception to this is if you have a seizure, but then again, that's triggered by epilepsy (i.e. rapidly-changing flashing lights) NOT PTSD. Remembering a bad incident is NOT the same thing as having a flashback. When you remember, you think; when you flashback, you feel.

#HashTagsAreForIdiots

[Image: violator_blackbg_110x32.gif]
Max Stirnir Wrote:"In the time of spirits thoughts grew till they overtopped my head, whose offspring they yet were; they hovered about me and convulsed me like fever-phantasies -- an awful power. The thoughts had become corporeal on their own account, were ghosts, e. g. God, Emperor, Pope, Fatherland, etc. If I destroy their corporeity, then I take them back into mine, and say: "I alone am corporeal." And now I take the world as what it is to me, as mine, as my property; I refer all to myself." The Ego and Its Own, pg. 15
Charles Manson Wrote:“Look down at me and you see a fool;
look up at me and you see a god;
look straight at me and you see yourself”
HeartofShadows Wrote:"Life is nothing more than a druggie trying to get their quick fix of happiness while dealing with the harsh withdrawal of reality"
Osip Mandelstam Wrote:"I divide all of world literature into authorized and unauthorized works. The former are all trash; the latter--stolen air. I want to spit in the face of every writer who first obtains permission and then writes." The Fourth Prose, 1930.
Lukas Foss Wrote:That is why the analogy of stealing does not work. With a thief, we want to know how much money he stole, and from whom. With the artist it is not how much he took and from whom, but what he did with it.
PIRATE Pirate2 MEMBER
 Pirate Join the crew!Pirate
05-13-2011 09:35 AM
LOON_ATTIC Offline
A NERD

pilotguy182 Wrote:oOn my home PC, I can't do anythig. I'm so locked down by my dad that I can't even instal a plane into FSX without his password. I'm on windows 7. Could anyone help me?
Get lunix on a flash drive somehow.
http://www.slax.org/
http://www.pendrivelinux.com/all-in-one-usb-slaxzip/
I believe you just have to download the .tar, extract with WinRAR or 7zip, then go into boot/ and run bootinst.bat, ONCE EVERYTHING IS EXTRACTED TO THE FLASH DRIVE. Just drag and drop the files from the archive onto the flash drive.
Then you can change stuff. Maybe there's a better alternative, something made to edit Windows registries or something. I have no experience with that.

05-14-2011 03:16 PM
LOON_ATTIC Offline
A NERD

pilotguy182 Wrote:
Lunatic Wrote:
pilotguy182 Wrote:oOn my home PC, I can't do anythig. I'm so locked down by my dad that I can't even instal a plane into FSX without his password. I'm on windows 7. Could anyone help me?
Get lunix on a flash drive somehow.
http://www.slax.org/
http://www.pendrivelinux.com/all-in-one-usb-slaxzip/
I believe you just have to download the .tar, extract with WinRAR or 7zip, then go into boot/ and run bootinst.bat, ONCE EVERYTHING IS EXTRACTED TO THE FLASH DRIVE. Just drag and drop the files from the archive onto the flash drive.
Then you can change stuff. Maybe there's a better alternative, something made to edit Windows registries or something. I have no experience with that.

i used a VNC server!
[Image: ExplodingHead.gif]
I'm a noob

05-17-2011 01:29 PM
LOON_ATTIC Offline
A NERD

What the fuck

Watch on YouTube

FITTING

05-18-2011 01:07 PM
LOON_ATTIC Offline
A NERD

Пожалуйста, прекратите делать так много кокаина.

05-26-2011 02:58 PM
McGee! Offline
Defender of...

Given 10 thank(s) in 9 post(s)

Absentinsomniac Wrote:What in the fuck is this atrocious thing you people are calling a thread?
ai norite?

WHat software is being used to block it? I bet there is an unblocked proxy somwhere.

<a href=http://www.goanonymity4proxy.co.in/>Maybe try this one?
</a>

Sociopath Wrote:
The Desert Fox Wrote:Colbert is awesome.
/threaditude.
Generation Y Cuban blog-English blog
Hidden stuff:
hewhodestroysall Wrote:Honestly I never figured the point of the esrb.
Point is you can't censor reality.
U.S. Supreme Court Justice Abe Fortas, Tinker v. Des Moines (1969) Wrote:In our system, state-operated schools may not be enclaves of totalitarianism. School officials do not possess absolute authority over their students. Students in school as well as out of school are "persons" under our Constitution."
Rebelnerd Wrote:Human rights are being violated by US law enforcement. This is what the media is here for, you're supposed to be the watchdogs! You're supposed to stand up for the downtrodden, not belittle them as though all their problems amount to nothing more than some angry glares toward parents and sabotaging their computers.
I've seen so much shit done to youth and for some reason, this has made me angrier than I've felt in years. Abuse and oppression happens all over the world. It's a terrible reality of modern society, but we've all accepted that it happens and we're doing what we can to fight it and build a better world.
But this...this mindless, condescending disrespect toward people who have no legal voice with which to defend themselves, this reduction of parents' betrayal into a cheap crack about kids being computer-savvy...it's like watching a surgeon joke about life insurance while his patient bleeds to death on the operating table. The media's job is to protect society from oppression and they've drawn a clear line between the people worth protecting and the people that don't matter. How can they people sleep at night?

You're a journalist. DO. YOUR. FUCKING. JOB.

(04-28-2010 08:17 AM)Liquid Wrote:  Laws never seem to help people fight School. Laws only matter if the students are braking them...

(12-03-2011 07:40 AM)SoulRiser Wrote:  Solution to all these problems: don't fuck people you can't negotiate with in a civilized manner.
(02-09-2012 02:14 PM)Absentinsomniac Wrote:  The only solution is democratic self-paced education where students can excel in what they are good at and work on what their not if necessary, AT THEIR OWN DAMN PACE IN THEIR OWN DAMN WAY.

Don't Board the Censor Ship
06-01-2011 05:55 AM
Absnt Offline
Fanatic

Given 184 thank(s) in 127 post(s)

pilotguy182 Wrote:Me?

No.

Blog I post to now:
http://blog.darknedgy.net

Edfreedom.org -- An organization for more freedom in education.
http://www.edfreedom.org/join-us/
06-01-2011 07:21 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Efs Offline
Fanatic

Given 101 thank(s) in 70 post(s)

pilotguy182 Wrote:Me?

No, he's referring to the guy in the YouTube video you semi-troll.

But, keep up the rebellion! You are being FORCED to go to school, therefore you are being FORCED to use their network, so fuck it up! Originally I though you were being a whiny little shit, then I realized that it's a school network you're fucking with, keep fighting comrades!

(01-10-2012 02:15 PM)Maelstrom Wrote:  Efs, your nihilism is beautiful.
06-01-2011 10:25 PM
LOON_ATTIC Offline
A NERD

RE: Oh No!

Make it a hidden wireless network then. lul

10-02-2011 10:01 AM
LOON_ATTIC Offline
A NERD

Yeah or they'll see it and rage like last time.

10-04-2011 04:03 PM
flann Offline
Revolutionary

Given 7 thank(s) in 7 post(s)

You haz an FSX

I do too.

School's gonna kill your freedom, and your relation to your family if they support school. You can thank them for ruining 1/4 of your life.

War is stupid.
10-06-2011 02:28 PM
LOON_ATTIC Offline
A NERD

make sure to submerge your router in holy water and pray to god that it won't get taken from you

10-13-2011 10:39 AM
Efs Offline
Fanatic

Given 101 thank(s) in 70 post(s)

(10-13-2011 10:39 AM)Lunatic Wrote:  make sure to submerge your router in holy water and pray to god that it won't get taken from you

LOL!

(01-10-2012 02:15 PM)Maelstrom Wrote:  Efs, your nihilism is beautiful.
10-17-2011 08:29 PM
LOON_ATTIC Offline
A NERD

AHAHAH YOU ACTUALLY DID IT
AND IT BROKE
AHAHAHAHAHHAA
whichever works, also :|

11-04-2011 02:29 PM
LOON_ATTIC Offline
A NERD

:(
you must submerge it on holy water as soon as possible once you get it

(This post was last modified: 11-04-2011 02:36 PM by LOON_ATTIC.)
11-04-2011 02:35 PM
LOON_ATTIC Offline
A NERD

If you have loadsamone the new one, otherwise the old one
but j00're probably a j00 who hoards gold in his asscrack so go with the newer expensive one I guess.

(This post was last modified: 11-04-2011 04:00 PM by LOON_ATTIC.)
11-04-2011 04:00 PM
Aya Offline
Banned

Given 45 thank(s) in 36 post(s)

[Image: Thread-Crap-Die.jpg]
11-05-2011 01:01 AM
aaaaaaasd Offline
Grorious Moddu

Given 50 thank(s) in 38 post(s)

Why is this thread ProPilot talking to himself about how he is 2c00l4sk00l
11-05-2011 01:32 AM
aaaaaaasd Offline
Grorious Moddu

Given 50 thank(s) in 38 post(s)

[Image: neato.jpg]
11-13-2011 08:19 PM
aCol Offline
Distiller of hate

Given 20 thank(s) in 14 post(s)

So basically all you can use is a IPod?
Cause if you could use a laptop, you could just set up a ssh-server at home and login to it.
All the IT guys would see is a beautiful encrypted connection. And you'd see then pr0n you are longing for. Or whatever you are longing for.
12-04-2011 11:42 AM
LOON_ATTIC Offline
A NERD

(12-04-2011 11:42 AM)aCol Wrote:  So basically all you can use is a IPod?
Cause if you could use a laptop, you could just set up a ssh-server at home and login to it.
All the IT guys would see is a beautiful encrypted connection. And you'd see then pr0n you are longing for. Or whatever you are longing for.

I tried that but it didn't work at all, not on a shitty hotel wifi and not on my school wifi, maybe if I used port 80 (same as http?) or something it'd work? And yes I'm pretty sure I port forwarded correctly and I was using my internets IP and all of that.
Guess I'll try port 80 and 8080 Razz port 22 seemed to be blocked.

(This post was last modified: 12-10-2011 03:43 PM by LOON_ATTIC.)
12-10-2011 03:43 PM