RIP School Survival Forums
August 2001 - June 2017

The School Survival Forums are permanently retired. If you need help with quitting school, unsupportive parents or anything else, there is a list of resources on the Help Page.

If you want to write about your experiences in school, you can write on our blog.

To everyone who joined these forums at some point, and got discouraged by the negativity and left after a while (or even got literally scared off): I'm sorry.

I wasn't good enough at encouraging people to be kinder, and removing people who refuse to be kind. Encouraging people is hard, and removing people creates conflict, and I hate conflict... so that's why I wasn't better at it.

I was a very, very sensitive teen. The atmosphere of this forum as it is now, if it had existed in 1996, would probably have upset me far more than it would have helped.

I can handle quite a lot of negativity and even abuse now, but that isn't the point. I want to help people. I want to help the people who need it the most, and I want to help people like the 1996 version of me.

I'm still figuring out the best way to do that, but as it is now, these forums are doing more harm than good, and I can't keep running them.

Thank you to the few people who have tried to understand my point of view so far. I really, really appreciate you guys. You are beautiful people.

Everyone else: If after everything I've said so far, you still don't understand my motivations, I think it's unlikely that you will. We're just too different. Maybe someday in the future it might make sense, but until then, there's no point in arguing about it. I don't have the time or the energy for arguing anymore. I will focus my time and energy on people who support me, and those who need help.

-SoulRiser

The forums are mostly read-only and are in a maintenance/testing phase, before being permanently archived. Please use this time to get the contact details of people you'd like to keep in touch with. My contact details are here.

Please do not make a mirror copy of the forums in their current state - things will still change, and some people have requested to be able to edit or delete some of their personal info.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
My thoughts on why schooling doesn't work
whistlingwings Offline
Revolutionary

Given 2 thank(s) in 2 post(s)
My thoughts on why schooling doesn't work

A lot of people have come up with solutions to fix the school system because according to them it is far from ideal... they're right, but I think they're missing the point. The solutions they propose are generally: change the cirriculum, give more money to the schools. I might be missing something but those seem to be the top two. And these would certainly help but only within a limited framework.

I think it would be worthwhile to think about how people (and not "children", people - children are people, right...?) learn before offering solutions on how to fix anything. In my experience people learn when they're interested by something, if you're disinterested in something the chances of anything happening are smaller.

With that in mind, I offer this solution. Allow the children to choose what they want to do. The "solutions" people offer tend not to be because they all have one common mistake, it assumes children are incapable of thinking for themselves and so they (erroneously) make the decision for them. A child should be able to choose whether they want to attend school (either public or private), or be homeschooled or unschooled.
04-10-2009 07:59 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Aviator Offline
Pariah

Given 7 thank(s) in 6 post(s)
Re: My thoughts on why schooling doesn't work

I agree.

Let the kids work on something that they're interested in. Even not working on anything at all and merely socializing is more constructive than working on something that we'll never remember.

However, I do think that some direction would be appreciated by the students.

If the goal was just to "Teach yourself", I don't think a whole lot of learning, or meaningful learning, would go on. Not at the present time. This generation has already been trained to be too dependant on the teachers to direct them. It saddens me how dependant on teachers my classes are. Have you ever noticed - when the teacher leaves the room, how little goes on? Everyone just stares at the wall or begins acting like monkeys.

However, if a new education system was phased in, where the students were taught to teach themselves, over time, things would be better. Starting in like, 5th grade, they would impliment this system, where kids are taught to read things that interest them and discuss those things with their class.

But anyway, I still think there needs to be a sense of direction. It is my opinion that instead of having classes, they should have projects which would have open ends, and push the kids to teach themselves things instead of just taking notes. These projects would last a week - and every hour spent at school would go into these projects. Although, it would be the responsibility of the students to manage their time and get it done.

There would be no classes, but teachers would be on hand to ask questions of and assist if needed. Kids could work in groups, pairs, or independantly, depending on their preferance. They could also move freely about the school, use electronics, and eat wherever they want. These projects would be things like building a rocket out of household materials (like two liter bottles) that travels 100 feet up, preparing a debate over an important issue, and building a wooden house model - all things that require some actual creativity and brainwork, and mix a variety of classes together.

At the end of the week, the project would be evaluated. Constructive criticism would be given, and then a new project assigned. It'd teach creative thinking, group work, as well as develop writing skills, leadership skills, and a greater understanding of how things work - because to be able to build something that works, an understanding would need to be had.

In the meantime, students could talk to one another - while working, take breaks to look up something that interests them, or go for walks/play sports if they chose to.

It is better to ask for forgiveness than for permission. - Neal Vitale
I'd rather laugh with the sinners than cry with the saints. The sinners are much more fun.
Everyone can back up their opinions. Some people just do it a whole lot better than others. - Rebelnerd
Here's to the men and women who did what was considered wrong, in order to do what they knew was right.
'Of course it is happening inside your head, but why on earth should that mean that it is not real?'" - JK Rowling
04-10-2009 02:47 PM
Amortisatie Offline
Fanatic

Given 18 thank(s) in 16 post(s)

Oh Aviator and your long posts Cool

In short, I agree

-we are people too, and are equal to ones who claim they have "authority" over us
-we should have a choice in what we learn
-we should have a choice whether we go somewhere or not
-adults are too brainwashed and retarded to figure that out

[Image: spooky-1.jpg]

“The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.”
― Neil deGrasse Tyson
04-11-2009 02:05 PM
SoulRiser Offline
Site Founder

Given 1978 thank(s) in 1208 post(s)

As long as the guidance/direction stuff is optional too, I'm all for it.

"If you can, help others; if you cannot do that, at least do not harm them." - Dalai Lama
Help & Support - Get help with leaving school, unsupportive parents, and more.
Click here if school makes you depressed or suicidal

Support School Survival on Patreon or Donate Bitcoin Here: 1Q5WCcxWjayniaL92b8GfXBiGdfjmnUNa2
"Believe those who are seeking the truth. Doubt those who find it." - André Paul Guillaume Gide
"The true sign of intelligence is not knowledge but imagination." - Albert Einstein
"I'm pretty sure there's a lot of beauty that can only be found in the mind of a lunatic." - TheCancer
EIPD - Emotionally Incompetent Parent Disorder

Push Button for Collection of Useful Links:
Hidden stuff:
04-11-2009 11:50 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Sunbourn Offline
Proud crazy cat man

Given 289 thank(s) in 192 post(s)

That was a godly post Aviator. I jizzed in my pants at the library over it.

Who am I? Who are YOU?
04-12-2009 02:16 AM