RIP School Survival Forums
August 2001 - June 2017

The School Survival Forums are permanently retired. If you need help with quitting school, unsupportive parents or anything else, there is a list of resources on the Help Page.

If you want to write about your experiences in school, you can write on our blog.

To everyone who joined these forums at some point, and got discouraged by the negativity and left after a while (or even got literally scared off): I'm sorry.

I wasn't good enough at encouraging people to be kinder, and removing people who refuse to be kind. Encouraging people is hard, and removing people creates conflict, and I hate conflict... so that's why I wasn't better at it.

I was a very, very sensitive teen. The atmosphere of this forum as it is now, if it had existed in 1996, would probably have upset me far more than it would have helped.

I can handle quite a lot of negativity and even abuse now, but that isn't the point. I want to help people. I want to help the people who need it the most, and I want to help people like the 1996 version of me.

I'm still figuring out the best way to do that, but as it is now, these forums are doing more harm than good, and I can't keep running them.

Thank you to the few people who have tried to understand my point of view so far. I really, really appreciate you guys. You are beautiful people.

Everyone else: If after everything I've said so far, you still don't understand my motivations, I think it's unlikely that you will. We're just too different. Maybe someday in the future it might make sense, but until then, there's no point in arguing about it. I don't have the time or the energy for arguing anymore. I will focus my time and energy on people who support me, and those who need help.

-SoulRiser

The forums are mostly read-only and are in a maintenance/testing phase, before being permanently archived. Please use this time to get the contact details of people you'd like to keep in touch with. My contact details are here.

Please do not make a mirror copy of the forums in their current state - things will still change, and some people have requested to be able to edit or delete some of their personal info.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What about school do most students complain about?
xcriteria Offline
Fanatic

Given 930 thank(s) in 612 post(s)
What about school do most students complain about?

I'm writing something about how "anti-schoolers" compare to "normal kids" in how they see school. Any answers to these questions would be helpful:

1) What are some things that typical students complain about in school?

2) Why do most students tolerate school, despite these complaints?

3) What are your main complaints, in contrast to the average student?

4) Why do you find school really hard to tolerate, in contrast to the average student?
05-03-2009 05:37 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Amortisatie Offline
Fanatic

Given 18 thank(s) in 16 post(s)
Re: What about school do most students complain about?

They normally complain about how they hate this one teacher for giving alot of work, or how much they hate homework, and even how much they have to carry everyday.

They believe it is good for them because they are told it is good for them over and over and over and over and over, they also think the only way to live a good life is to make bunches of money. Also their parents and friends tell them they will be 'flipping burgers' for a living if they drop out or homeschool.

How we are oppressed, stripped of our rights, need permission for every last thing, unable to give opinions or have any right to choose what we 'learn'.

Uniforms. No ability to personalize ourselves from the other sheep around us. We are forced against our will to go to this 'privilege.' We can't learn what will help us in life because they tell us to put everything else away in order for them to shove uninteresting and useless topics down our throats.

4) Why do you find school really hard to tolerate, in contrast to the average student?

See #3

[Image: spooky-1.jpg]

“The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.”
― Neil deGrasse Tyson
05-03-2009 07:12 AM
Swift Offline
Fanatic

Given 9 thank(s) in 8 post(s)

How ugly/annoying/dumb people are, and how much homework we have.

Because they've been taught not to think for themselves.

I don't care what grades you have, if you tolerate totalitarianism and thoughtless thinking, fuck you.

I've been educated outside of school. Many people at my school claim to care about education, but I highly doubt they educate themselves outside of school. Because of my true interest in my education, I've learned my rights and that how school ignores them in a pathetic fashion.
People who only do the minimum for their education are the ones who tolerate school.

"I heard a joke once. Man goes to doctor says "I'm terribly depressed". Doctor says "I know just what you should do. Poliacci the clown is in town, go see him, you'll be cheered right up." The man bursts into tears. "But Doctor, I am Poliacci." Funny joke. Roll on snare drum. Everyone laugh."

-Rorschach

[Image: BANANAMAN.gif]
05-03-2009 08:56 AM
magikarp Offline
Valerie Solanas

Given 68 thank(s) in 47 post(s)

• homework
  • topics not being useful (to a career)
  • teachers being mean
  • assignments being too hard
  • too many tests
  • too many assignments (from different classes) at once
  • not enough group work and projects
  • physical comfort (having too much to carry, room temperatures, chairs, etc.)[/list:u]

Most students I know would say school is worth it to be able to get a good job later, or that it's 'good for them'. I think (and I may just be making stuff up here) that they tolerate school partially because their complaints are usually with aspects of school that could plausibly be changed without significantly changing the entire system, although they might never see them actually changed. As an example, subjects could be made more relevant to careers much more easily than something like a standardized curriculum being done away with entirely. Even though those changes may not happen, it's easier to accept an imperfectly executed system based on good ideas than a system based on bad ideas.

• topics not being interesting (preferably) or useful (acceptably)
    • next to nothing being covered in-depth
    • teachers having excessive authority
    • pace being slow for most subjects
    • too much group work
    • school being mandatory (seems morally unacceptable regardless of what the school is like otherwise)
    • emphasis on getting everything done rather than getting as much as possible done well
    • (relatively) strict deadlines
    • following instructions on assignments being more important to grade than content
    • having to follow a (more or less arbitrary) schedule[/list:u]

I guess the simplest answer is it made me feel like shit. That was probably from a combination of stress, anxiety, boredom, and perceived lack of freedom. I also resented the time wasted learning relatively little.

"Do we treat straight public sex differently than we do gay public sex? Of course. Straight people are so proud of their public sex that they named a cocktail after it."
05-03-2009 03:16 PM
xcriteria Offline
Fanatic

Cool, that's useful. We all kinda know what sucks but it helps to see it written out by different people. Basically what I want to do is distinguish "everyday whining" from legitimate, long-term, systematic complaints. Making that distinction is really important for winning people over (at least reasonable people) to seeing these complaints as worthy of attention.

There's actually a "diagnosis" called School Refusal that's applied to kids who suffer in school, but the definitions focus on things like anxiety and bullying and social problems, completely ignoring the boredom/not-learning component. And the "treatment" is to cure the anxiety and force acceptance of school.

http://www.education.com/reference/artic...ng_School/
05-04-2009 01:58 PM
assaultmedic Offline
Revolutionary

Given 6 thank(s) in 5 post(s)

-boring classes
-too much work and homework
-asshole teachers
-shitty campus

-fear of teachers and parents
-fear of not getting a good job

-everything on number 1
-no or limited class choice
-fact that it is compulsory

-lower bullshit tolerance level
-dont care about what parents or teachers think

it's not that I'm lazy, it's that I just don't care.
[Image: TF2_Tag___Medic_by_schroe.png]
05-04-2009 06:36 PM
kylemw13 Offline
Revolutionary

Given 3 thank(s) in 3 post(s)

xcriteria Wrote:I'm writing something about how "anti-schoolers" compare to "normal kids" in how they see school. Any answers to these questions would be helpful:

1) bad teachers, homework, they say school is pointless, switching from two lunch lines to one, the principal, bored, and pretty much anything else they can think of.
2) they have not been taught how to think logically, they don't think there is anything they can do, most people simply don't ever stand up for themselves or others.
3) I have similar complaints however I attempt to fix my problems because I am new to the system and still remember how to think.
4) Most of them have yet to realize that they deserve better and they tend to believe that the school has their (the students) interests in mind, I know otherwise.

The United States is a nation of laws: badly written and randomly enforced.
- Frank Zappa
I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure.
- Clarence Darro
Reader, suppose you were an idiot. And suppose you were a member of Congress. But I repeat myself.
» I would like to live in Manchester, England. The transition between Manchester and death would be unnoticeable.
- Mark Twain
When people are free to do as they please, they usually imitate each other.
- Eric Hoffer
05-05-2009 01:49 PM
SoulRiser Offline
Site Founder

Given 1978 thank(s) in 1208 post(s)

I could make a general observation here and say that most students complain about relatively specific things, whereas we (the people who come to this site), complain about the "bigger picture" and how the big picture is what causes the relatively specific things to be a problem in the first place. Right?

"If you can, help others; if you cannot do that, at least do not harm them." - Dalai Lama
Help & Support - Get help with leaving school, unsupportive parents, and more.
Click here if school makes you depressed or suicidal

Support School Survival on Patreon or Donate Bitcoin Here: 1Q5WCcxWjayniaL92b8GfXBiGdfjmnUNa2
"Believe those who are seeking the truth. Doubt those who find it." - André Paul Guillaume Gide
"The true sign of intelligence is not knowledge but imagination." - Albert Einstein
"I'm pretty sure there's a lot of beauty that can only be found in the mind of a lunatic." - TheCancer
EIPD - Emotionally Incompetent Parent Disorder

Push Button for Collection of Useful Links:
Hidden stuff:
05-08-2009 03:29 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
xcriteria Offline
Fanatic

Good point. I'm sure it has something to do with the number of us that are intuitives on the Myers-Briggs scale.

Also, the more issues a person has with a system, the more they suffer, the less positives they experience, and the more perceptive they are, the more likely they are to begin to look at the system in general.
05-08-2009 04:16 AM
random_name Offline
Fanatic

Given 15 thank(s) in 15 post(s)

xcriteria Wrote:I'm writing something about how "anti-schoolers" compare to "normal kids" in how they see school. Any answers to these questions would be helpful:

Uniform, and Homework.

Scaared of the consequences of their actions, can't be arsed

The pure pointlessness of it. The people, the lessons, the useless crap, the teachers, the other students, the attitude of teachers to bullying, the compulsoryness

Because the average students dont care where they go, what they do - what trouble they get into. Im a scaredy cat. I do care. I shouldn't, but i do.

Hidden stuff:
"A 'no' uttered from deepest conviction is better and greater than a 'yes' merely uttered to please, or what is worse, to avoid trouble." - Mahatma Gandhi

"The irrationality of a thing is no argument against its existence, rather a condition of it."

"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy."
-Ben Franklin

"when I was a kid I used to pray for a bicycle. then I realized that god doesn't work that way. so I stole one and prayed for forgiveness."
"I would rather die for something I believe in than live for anything else."
"What is the task of higher education? To make a man into a machine. What are the means employed? He is taught how to suffer being bored." – F W Nietzsche
[Image: s-event.png]
05-08-2009 07:11 AM
homicidal Psycho Offline
Defiant

Given 0 thank(s) in 0 post(s)

As everyone agrees. Work,mean teachers,physical discomfort, different homework assigned on the same day by different classes,projects,not enough group work,boredom, and personally how school and smart aleks that think school is so great and judge you if you hate school and believe you won't be successful.
05-09-2009 12:54 PM
LOON_ATTIC Offline
A NERD

Given 60 thank(s) in 49 post(s)

Rules, lack of freedom, boring work.

They think they can't do anything about it.

Same, but they don't teach enough, I get even more annoyed by being ordered around and kinda speak more about it.

Lack of freedom. Being forced to go at a certain time, the punishments, being yelled at, ordered like some kind of animal..

[Image: glorious666.png]
05-10-2009 09:19 AM

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Time to arrest students for skipping school/class, UnschoolShqiponjë 26 14,514 04-27-2017 06:27 AM
Last Post: James Comey
  How many students do you think actually dislike school? thy 21 10,110 09-03-2016 10:39 AM
Last Post: HSHARK
  Students show up to school to find no room in classrooms sswbm 1 2,298 08-26-2015 08:24 AM
Last Post: TheCancer
  Michigan students march to end ‘zero tolerance’ approach to school discipline WalterScottDempsey 52 27,266 02-22-2015 04:30 PM
Last Post: brainiac3397
  Students who found an alternative, explaining school vs. North Star xcriteria 0 1,825 02-07-2015 02:59 AM
Last Post: xcriteria
  My school managed not only enrage all the students but parents as well Thade_Chan 19 13,036 07-06-2013 12:21 PM
Last Post: Thade_Chan
  Being in college = no right to complain? AngryCollegeDude 5 2,789 04-03-2011 09:25 AM
Last Post: Bob Dole
  High School Students are all Douchebags....... EnemyOfTheState 9 5,666 02-15-2011 02:20 PM
Last Post: HeartofShadows
  School burns students out. Absnt 2 1,955 02-03-2010 10:39 AM
Last Post: paulhudd
  Great news for students in the US who hate school The Desert Fox 9 4,682 08-24-2009 02:35 AM
Last Post: The Desert Fox