RIP School Survival Forums
August 2001 - June 2017

The School Survival Forums are permanently retired. If you need help with quitting school, unsupportive parents or anything else, there is a list of resources on the Help Page.

If you want to write about your experiences in school, you can write on our blog.

To everyone who joined these forums at some point, and got discouraged by the negativity and left after a while (or even got literally scared off): I'm sorry.

I wasn't good enough at encouraging people to be kinder, and removing people who refuse to be kind. Encouraging people is hard, and removing people creates conflict, and I hate conflict... so that's why I wasn't better at it.

I was a very, very sensitive teen. The atmosphere of this forum as it is now, if it had existed in 1996, would probably have upset me far more than it would have helped.

I can handle quite a lot of negativity and even abuse now, but that isn't the point. I want to help people. I want to help the people who need it the most, and I want to help people like the 1996 version of me.

I'm still figuring out the best way to do that, but as it is now, these forums are doing more harm than good, and I can't keep running them.

Thank you to the few people who have tried to understand my point of view so far. I really, really appreciate you guys. You are beautiful people.

Everyone else: If after everything I've said so far, you still don't understand my motivations, I think it's unlikely that you will. We're just too different. Maybe someday in the future it might make sense, but until then, there's no point in arguing about it. I don't have the time or the energy for arguing anymore. I will focus my time and energy on people who support me, and those who need help.

-SoulRiser

The forums are mostly read-only and are in a maintenance/testing phase, before being permanently archived. Please use this time to get the contact details of people you'd like to keep in touch with. My contact details are here.

Please do not make a mirror copy of the forums in their current state - things will still change, and some people have requested to be able to edit or delete some of their personal info.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
video presentation script
xcriteria Offline
Fanatic

Given 930 thank(s) in 612 post(s)

I want to make a video presentation that explains why some people hate school more than others, why they're right, and what they can do about it. The target for this is basically parents and teachers who don't get it, but it could also introduce ideas to people who feel the same way.

I'm starting by writing a script, which will be read by a voiced-over narrator. Then I'll create the video part in adobe after effects, which is like photoshop for video. I'll use as much video as I can, but there will be a lot of images, text, and some charts and stuff. I want a semi-professional documentary feel, though it could have a bit of humor in it.

Please comment! This is a work in progress.

Part 1: Brief synopsis of the typical school and the students it fails – structure, controversies, problems
Code:
School.  Who doesn't hate it at one time or another?  Most students experience some boredom in school, dislike some of their teachers, and even question the topics they're required to learn.  But, their parents don't have to push too hard for them to accept school as basically purposeful and absolutely necessary.  If nothing else, they like school because they see their friends, they're part of a team, club, or gang, or find easy access to drugs.  And of course, they want to get a good job.

This presentation explores the views of a subset of students who are perpetually miserable in school and who would give anything to get out of what, for them, is an unbearable experience.  Their top complaints include lack of choice in what and how they're taught, not learning enough, extreme boredom, and having to submit to the whims of insensitive and authoritarian structure.

Despite the wide range of schools out there, the vast majority of them have the same structure: a system of classes, with one teacher per class, teaching captive students a prescribed curriculum with no student input and minimal student choice.

This structure serves many students adequately, but it utterly fails students who have interests and levels of ability (or difficulty) that fall outside the prescribed curriculum.  The structure of grades rewards and reinforces only the subjects and pace of learning that the teacher (or a committee) sees fit for the average student.  Any learning beyond this grading structure is considered irrelevant and at best secondary to whatever school requires.
Part 2: Contrast with a different kind of learning.

Code:
These students, above all, are interested in learning, and seek out knowledge on their own.  The idea that learning must be forced on students, and limited to what the typical student is supposed to know, seems antiquated in a world where all kinds of information, tutorials, and communication are available with the click of a mouse.  The Internet makes the individual pursuit of knowledge possible to a degree unimagined in previous generations.

The problem is, this learning is considered irrelevant by parents and schools, and grades are seen as what matters.  Teachers don't have time to give credit for out-of-school learning, and the system isn't structured for that to be possible.

Part 3: Bringing up the “I hate school” question to parents and teachers – their reactions and rationales
Code:
When a kid challenges their parents about how little they're learning in school, and how much they can learn in other ways, the parents typically fall back on the argument that the system gives them the credentials they'll need to get a good job.  When a kid argues how much they are suffering, parents typically consider that typical whining.
Part 4: But, what are the alternatives?

change schools
convince schools or teachers to change structure
drop out
self-educate/unschool
homeschool
get a GED
start college early

Part 5: Further information.
05-03-2009 06:46 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Linkin Park Offline
Rebel

Given 0 thank(s) in 0 post(s)
Re: video presentation script

I think your "presentation" is good so far. Don't say in the video "school sucks", you will look like a complete moron.

The school system is based off the "Prussia" school system. Which is very old, and it's currently failing. There needs to be one for the "United States" standard. Not the "Prussia" standard.

Anywhoozles, if you look at the United States education rank it's like #25. Might of change, I saw it on the news like a few years ago. And if you go north to Canada it's/was #2.

So it proves, that we need a "system" for the United States. But it has to have more freedoms, and less corruptions.

[Image: 72eyz7.jpg]
05-03-2009 11:12 AM
xcriteria Offline
Fanatic

Yeah, the whole system has a lot of flaws. With this video I'm trying to focus on those people who reeeeally hate it... those also that have the initiative to learn stuff on their own and with less guidance. I believe the system as a whole is way too coercive and should give every student more choices, but it's so ingrained that it won't change overnight. We can work toward it, though.
05-03-2009 11:41 AM
magikarp Offline
Valerie Solanas

Given 68 thank(s) in 47 post(s)

I think the focus is nice. The problems that exist are more obvious in cases where the system really, really doesn't work than in cases where it could just do a little better.

Great job so far. =)

"Do we treat straight public sex differently than we do gay public sex? Of course. Straight people are so proud of their public sex that they named a cocktail after it."
05-03-2009 03:25 PM
xcriteria Offline
Fanatic

Edited/Added a little bit.

I'm going to break alternatives into (1) how to learn without school and (2) how to get credentials/jobs without school.
05-04-2009 01:41 PM
xcriteria Offline
Fanatic

RE: video presentation script

Wow, I forgot all about this. I was just looking through my old posts thanks to the SS History Project, and this is exactly what I'm working on now.

It's so easy for relevant things to slip into the past. :(

I had a whole burst of inspiration in spring of 2009... then during the summer I focused more on brainstorming a learning platform/company with Nick over the summer... then in the fall... I remember coming up with some ideas as well... then this whole Student Info System scenario played out... and then it was 2011, and I had ideas for a whole documentary/reality series, and some new kind of learning. Then, along came MOOCs as 2012 played out... and on and on.

Anyway... what do you all think if what's above? What next?

Why didn't this thread go anywhere? :(

Where can it go now? Biggrin

(Probably a gdoc or Rizzoma... but discussion can resume here.)

Peter Gray & allies launching the Alliance for Self-directed Education

ASDE Newsletters: #1 Announcement | #2 History of ASDE | #6 Education Liberation

School Survival & Catalyst Learning Network featured on AlternativestoSchool's blog
“Mom, Dad, can I stop going to school?”

Crucial Conversations: Tools for Talking when the Stakes are High

Hidden stuff:
04-23-2014 07:01 AM
Ky Offline
Shadow

Given 1468 thank(s) in 972 post(s)

Ooh, I could narrate it as it is right now. I wish my microphone were higher-quality, though.

Public Service Announcement: First world problems are still problems.
04-23-2014 07:03 AM
brainiac3397 Offline
Machiavellian Amoeba

Given 1983 thank(s) in 1428 post(s)

Wow necrobump.

Should I be surprised such a thread once existed? I'd say I am and amn't.

Personality DNA Report
(06-14-2013 08:02 AM)Potato Wrote:  watch the fuq out, we've got an "intellectual" over here.

Hidden stuff:
[Image: watch-out-we-got-a-badass-over-here-meme-240x180.png]
Brainiac3397's Mental Health Status Log Wrote:[Image: l0Iy5HKskJO5XD3Wg.gif]
04-23-2014 07:04 AM
xcriteria Offline
Fanatic

(04-23-2014 07:03 AM)DoA Wrote:  Ooh, I could narrate it as it is right now. I wish my microphone were higher-quality, though.

I think your mic is pretty good. I'll put a better mic for you on the "things our team needs" list and maybe we can find a way to raise money... by getting something produced and showing it to people. Biggrin

You want to go ahead and try narrating it?

Peter Gray & allies launching the Alliance for Self-directed Education

ASDE Newsletters: #1 Announcement | #2 History of ASDE | #6 Education Liberation

School Survival & Catalyst Learning Network featured on AlternativestoSchool's blog
“Mom, Dad, can I stop going to school?”

Crucial Conversations: Tools for Talking when the Stakes are High

Hidden stuff:
04-23-2014 08:38 AM
Ky Offline
Shadow

Given 1468 thank(s) in 972 post(s)

(04-23-2014 08:38 AM)xcriteria Wrote:  
(04-23-2014 07:03 AM)DoA Wrote:  Ooh, I could narrate it as it is right now. I wish my microphone were higher-quality, though.

I think your mic is pretty good. I'll put a better mic for you on the "things our team needs" list and maybe we can find a way to raise money... by getting something produced and showing it to people. Biggrin

You want to go ahead and try narrating it?

Perhaps sometime later (I think parts 4 and 5 would need to be finished first), but it would give me a good chance to test out my narrator voice.

Public Service Announcement: First world problems are still problems.
04-23-2014 08:39 AM