RIP School Survival Forums
August 2001 - June 2017

The School Survival Forums are permanently retired. If you need help with quitting school, unsupportive parents or anything else, there is a list of resources on the Help Page.

If you want to write about your experiences in school, you can write on our blog.

To everyone who joined these forums at some point, and got discouraged by the negativity and left after a while (or even got literally scared off): I'm sorry.

I wasn't good enough at encouraging people to be kinder, and removing people who refuse to be kind. Encouraging people is hard, and removing people creates conflict, and I hate conflict... so that's why I wasn't better at it.

I was a very, very sensitive teen. The atmosphere of this forum as it is now, if it had existed in 1996, would probably have upset me far more than it would have helped.

I can handle quite a lot of negativity and even abuse now, but that isn't the point. I want to help people. I want to help the people who need it the most, and I want to help people like the 1996 version of me.

I'm still figuring out the best way to do that, but as it is now, these forums are doing more harm than good, and I can't keep running them.

Thank you to the few people who have tried to understand my point of view so far. I really, really appreciate you guys. You are beautiful people.

Everyone else: If after everything I've said so far, you still don't understand my motivations, I think it's unlikely that you will. We're just too different. Maybe someday in the future it might make sense, but until then, there's no point in arguing about it. I don't have the time or the energy for arguing anymore. I will focus my time and energy on people who support me, and those who need help.

-SoulRiser

The forums are mostly read-only and are in a maintenance/testing phase, before being permanently archived. Please use this time to get the contact details of people you'd like to keep in touch with. My contact details are here.

Please do not make a mirror copy of the forums in their current state - things will still change, and some people have requested to be able to edit or delete some of their personal info.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Last month of school?
mihai_alexandru Offline
Rebel

Given 1 thank(s) in 1 post(s)
Last month of school?

Well this might actually be my last year of school for me. I made it clear to my parents that I hate school and they proposed to me to finish my high school with a special way in which you don't go daily to school, but only rarely to get your grades. I don't know how to translate this but it's with the state. Does anyone know anything about this?

I really don't care now about what I'll do. This will be the end of 10 miserable years of school, so I'll finish the state minimum years. Maybe I'll just drop out and make my own web design firm. Is this possible without the full 12 years of school?
05-05-2009 06:30 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
xcriteria Offline
Fanatic

Given 930 thank(s) in 612 post(s)
Re: Last month of school?

You don't need any particular credentials to do web design on your own.

What you do need is clients, and to get clients you should have a portfolio of sites you've done. If you javent, just make some up. Or start by making simple sites for people who have no site or a really crappy site.

Also, in case you havent:
- learn html, css, javascript
- learn basics of ftp, web hosts, scripting (php, python), ssh
- I suggest learning flash

I do web sites for people, but I haven't promoted myself very well or put up a portfolio so I mostly go by word of mouth. Promotion is important if you want to earn a living at it.
05-05-2009 07:15 AM
random_name Offline
Fanatic

Given 15 thank(s) in 15 post(s)

NO, you dont need 12 years of schooling.

Hidden stuff:
"A 'no' uttered from deepest conviction is better and greater than a 'yes' merely uttered to please, or what is worse, to avoid trouble." - Mahatma Gandhi

"The irrationality of a thing is no argument against its existence, rather a condition of it."

"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy."
-Ben Franklin

"when I was a kid I used to pray for a bicycle. then I realized that god doesn't work that way. so I stole one and prayed for forgiveness."
"I would rather die for something I believe in than live for anything else."
"What is the task of higher education? To make a man into a machine. What are the means employed? He is taught how to suffer being bored." – F W Nietzsche
[Image: s-event.png]
05-05-2009 07:18 AM
Faby Offline
work in progress

Given 61 thank(s) in 45 post(s)

Fara frecventa? Seral? Sau ce?

Let go of all desire for the common good, and the good becomes common as grass.

~~

Good fortune follows upon disaster;
Disaster lurks within good fortune;
Who can say how things will end?
Perhaps there is no end.
05-05-2009 04:38 PM
SoulRiser Offline
Site Founder

Given 1978 thank(s) in 1208 post(s)

Web design? Start by making (free) templates for popular CMS's like Wordpress and Joomla or whatever, each template you make will have a link to your web design firm's site. Then upload them to as many free template sites you can find. People search for stuff like that a lot. It'll be good for getting your name out there, and it should count as a 'portfolio' of sorts as well. Not to mention free links are always nice. And yeah, you don't need any qualifications whatsoever for that. You can start right now if you want. Smile

"If you can, help others; if you cannot do that, at least do not harm them." - Dalai Lama
Help & Support - Get help with leaving school, unsupportive parents, and more.
Click here if school makes you depressed or suicidal

Support School Survival on Patreon or Donate Bitcoin Here: 1Q5WCcxWjayniaL92b8GfXBiGdfjmnUNa2
"Believe those who are seeking the truth. Doubt those who find it." - André Paul Guillaume Gide
"The true sign of intelligence is not knowledge but imagination." - Albert Einstein
"I'm pretty sure there's a lot of beauty that can only be found in the mind of a lunatic." - TheCancer
EIPD - Emotionally Incompetent Parent Disorder

Push Button for Collection of Useful Links:
Hidden stuff:
05-05-2009 11:16 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
mihai_alexandru Offline
Rebel

Given 1 thank(s) in 1 post(s)

It's called "fara frecventa" in Romanian.

Yeah, I don't know a lot of stuff about web design at the moment and I can't say that web design is my passion, but this would seem a good job. At the moment I only know how to do a few things in Photoshop, so I can't say I'm terrible at web design. I think I could get clients, because I could charge very low fees at the beginning and even do stuff for free, I'm only 17 so I don't really need the money yet.
But I still have to register as a firm, and don't I need 12 years to start my own firm?
05-06-2009 04:19 AM
Faby Offline
work in progress

Given 61 thank(s) in 45 post(s)

Well, it resembles night-school somewhat.

You do need to be 18 years old to get yourself a firm, and some cash, though I don't know how much. But this is the path I'm willing to take, too, once I finish school.

Web design isn't that hard. I learnt CSS, for example, by tweaking colours for forum themes and stuff.

Let go of all desire for the common good, and the good becomes common as grass.

~~

Good fortune follows upon disaster;
Disaster lurks within good fortune;
Who can say how things will end?
Perhaps there is no end.
05-06-2009 04:27 AM
SoulRiser Offline
Site Founder

Can't you just go freelance? You don't need a firm for that do you? (I know nothing about these things)

"If you can, help others; if you cannot do that, at least do not harm them." - Dalai Lama

Support School Survival on Patreon or Donate Bitcoin Here: 1Q5WCcxWjayniaL92b8GfXBiGdfjmnUNa2
"Believe those who are seeking the truth. Doubt those who find it." - André Paul Guillaume Gide
"The true sign of intelligence is not knowledge but imagination." - Albert Einstein
"I'm pretty sure there's a lot of beauty that can only be found in the mind of a lunatic." - TheCancer

Hidden stuff:
05-06-2009 07:49 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
LOON_ATTIC Offline
A NERD

Given 60 thank(s) in 49 post(s)

Can't you have your own servers? I don't get the whole internet thing, why do we need ISPs? Can we like do our own ISPs? I never understood that.
I hate that you need more than 18 years for anything...

And what is a firm? I can't find anything on google.

[Image: glorious666.png]
05-09-2009 02:00 PM
SoulRiser Offline
Site Founder

Quote:Can't you have your own servers? I don't get the whole internet thing, why do we need ISPs? Can we like do our own ISPs? I never understood that.
Well, sure, if you happen to own a piece of land that goes right over the internet backbone or something, you can probably start your own ISP. But there's a buncha laws and regulations about that sort of thing, much of which I don't know anything about.

Quote:And what is a firm? I can't find anything on google.
afaik, it's the same as a company.

According to Wordweb:
firm: The members of a business organization that owns or operates one or more establishments

Hidden stuff:
05-10-2009 12:17 AM
xcriteria Offline
Fanatic

Given 930 thank(s) in 612 post(s)

You can always make web pages for people and just get paid, you don't really need an official firm/company.

el_b Wrote:Can't you have your own servers? I don't get the whole internet thing, why do we need ISPs? Can we like do our own ISPs? I never understood that.
Back in the early days of dial-up, it was more feasible to make your own isp: You'd buy a fast connection, like a T1, and a bunch of phone lines, and modems, and set up a server and router to connect everyone who dialed in to the internet.

It might even be the same way in small towns or cities or rural areas.

But these days, Internet access is usually provided by telephone companies (Verizon, AT&T, etc.) or cable television companies (Time Warner, etc.) Because almost everyone wants broadband, a company has to have huge amounts of infrastructure (cables running down the street as well as massive bandwidth.)

If you could find some way to connect to customers, you could always purchase a huge amount of bandwidth from a backbone provider (you don't have to be *on* the backbone), but the options are limited. Maybe some new kind of wireless.

But you can certainly have your own server -- either pay for your on server rental at a web host, or put your server in a "colocation" facility, which is basically a building with tons of bandwidth and you pay to rent a closet with an ethernet connection. Or, you could get super high-speed connection to your house, but it's a lot cheaper to go with one of the other options.
05-10-2009 03:54 AM
Trar Away
R.I.P.

Given 189 thank(s) in 125 post(s)

I'm going to try and find another form of school once this year's out for me. My mom said that if I could stick it out until the end of this year, she'd help me. Translated into English, she really means "i'm going to sit on my ass for three months straight, letting your little brother pester you while i'm yelling at you even though you're not doing anything so you can't get anything done so you have to go to school because I said so and i'm paranoid of the law and I hate you".
05-10-2009 05:03 PM

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  If you were making $10,000 a month... Cryme 17 2,525 02-10-2009 11:55 PM
Last Post: 1ncarnation