RIP School Survival Forums
August 2001 - June 2017

The School Survival Forums are permanently retired. If you need help with quitting school, unsupportive parents or anything else, there is a list of resources on the Help Page.

If you want to write about your experiences in school, you can write on our blog.

To everyone who joined these forums at some point, and got discouraged by the negativity and left after a while (or even got literally scared off): I'm sorry.

I wasn't good enough at encouraging people to be kinder, and removing people who refuse to be kind. Encouraging people is hard, and removing people creates conflict, and I hate conflict... so that's why I wasn't better at it.

I was a very, very sensitive teen. The atmosphere of this forum as it is now, if it had existed in 1996, would probably have upset me far more than it would have helped.

I can handle quite a lot of negativity and even abuse now, but that isn't the point. I want to help people. I want to help the people who need it the most, and I want to help people like the 1996 version of me.

I'm still figuring out the best way to do that, but as it is now, these forums are doing more harm than good, and I can't keep running them.

Thank you to the few people who have tried to understand my point of view so far. I really, really appreciate you guys. You are beautiful people.

Everyone else: If after everything I've said so far, you still don't understand my motivations, I think it's unlikely that you will. We're just too different. Maybe someday in the future it might make sense, but until then, there's no point in arguing about it. I don't have the time or the energy for arguing anymore. I will focus my time and energy on people who support me, and those who need help.

-SoulRiser

The forums are mostly read-only and are in a maintenance/testing phase, before being permanently archived. Please use this time to get the contact details of people you'd like to keep in touch with. My contact details are here.

Please do not make a mirror copy of the forums in their current state - things will still change, and some people have requested to be able to edit or delete some of their personal info.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What I always hated in elementary school.
Incollegenow Offline
Renegade

Given 2 thank(s) in 2 post(s)
What I always hated in elementary school.

It's been a long time ago, but if there's one thing I clearly remember which ALL teachers were guilty of, it was calling you out when they think you're not doing anything and say "Get working (your name)". I HATED that because they have no idea what I am doing. I could be just thinking, or I may have been working until they peeked over and assumed I was just slacking off. It's bad enough that they act like slave masters, calling you out for slacking off on some mind numbing task of busywork (usually), but when they jump to conclusions, it's almost like a dictatorship! One time in 3rd grade, I have only just got back from the bathroom, and happen to drop my books and the teacher called me out! It's actually DISTRACTING me from doing this 'work'.
05-07-2009 04:12 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Leon Kinotolian Offline
Admincat

Given 11 thank(s) in 9 post(s)
Re: What I always hated in elementary school.

You must've had a bad elementary school experience. Also, doesn't this strongly apply to middle and high school as well?

*Tentaclerape*
Hidden stuff:
The Desert Fox Wrote:
Rebelnerd Wrote:Avatar was an inside job.
For $9.11 I'll give you an inside job.
Raikuron Wrote:Okay. I fail. DISREGARD THAT EVERYONE, I SUCK COCKS!
BaronVonStrangle Wrote:fox you should take everything mystery says with a pinch of salt

and by pinch of salt i actually mean you need to build a fucking salt processing plant so you have enough salt to dispell the bullshit
05-07-2009 07:13 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Incollegenow Offline
Renegade

Leon Kinotolian Wrote:You must've had a bad elementary school experience. Also, doesn't this strongly apply to middle and high school as well?

Elementary school had it's perks, but yeah, it mostly sucked.
05-07-2009 08:02 AM
The Desert Fox Offline
Waging war with conviction

Given 102 thank(s) in 75 post(s)

It happens to me pretty much every day. A lot.

Hidden stuff:
(11-27-2011 01:00 PM)psychopath Wrote:  
(11-27-2011 10:52 AM)Efs Wrote:  Our Army is more professional than Amerika. Smile
Except ours isn't allowed to have guns
CrayolaColours Wrote:That post owned. TDF wins post of the year.
Faby Wrote:
krissy Wrote:dessert fox
Mmm, flambéed vulpine.
"There is no enemy, there is no victory, only boys who lost their lives in the sand."
[/center]
05-09-2009 05:46 PM
SoulRiser Offline
Site Founder

Given 1978 thank(s) in 1208 post(s)

Hmm. I never had that problem... but then again, I got pretty good at doing other stuff while still looking as though I was doing the work or whatever. Razz

"If you can, help others; if you cannot do that, at least do not harm them." - Dalai Lama
Help & Support - Get help with leaving school, unsupportive parents, and more.
Click here if school makes you depressed or suicidal

Support School Survival on Patreon or Donate Bitcoin Here: 1Q5WCcxWjayniaL92b8GfXBiGdfjmnUNa2
"Believe those who are seeking the truth. Doubt those who find it." - André Paul Guillaume Gide
"The true sign of intelligence is not knowledge but imagination." - Albert Einstein
"I'm pretty sure there's a lot of beauty that can only be found in the mind of a lunatic." - TheCancer
EIPD - Emotionally Incompetent Parent Disorder

Push Button for Collection of Useful Links:
Hidden stuff:
05-10-2009 01:22 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
arthasmenethil Offline
Fanatic

Given 9 thank(s) in 8 post(s)

SoulRiser Wrote:Hmm. I never had that problem... but then again, I got pretty good at doing other stuff while still looking as though I was doing the work or whatever. Razz

Me too

Hidden stuff:
The game...you lost! HAHAHAHA!!!!
05-12-2009 06:35 AM
random_name Offline
Fanatic

Given 15 thank(s) in 15 post(s)

That applies to all stages of school. Or when they pick on you for an answer, and you dont know the answer, which is why you didnt have your hand up in the first place.

Hidden stuff:
"A 'no' uttered from deepest conviction is better and greater than a 'yes' merely uttered to please, or what is worse, to avoid trouble." - Mahatma Gandhi

"The irrationality of a thing is no argument against its existence, rather a condition of it."

"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy."
-Ben Franklin

"when I was a kid I used to pray for a bicycle. then I realized that god doesn't work that way. so I stole one and prayed for forgiveness."
"I would rather die for something I believe in than live for anything else."
"What is the task of higher education? To make a man into a machine. What are the means employed? He is taught how to suffer being bored." – F W Nietzsche
[Image: s-event.png]
05-12-2009 06:55 AM
Puchiko Offline
Pariah

Given 15 thank(s) in 11 post(s)

Looking back, the worst thing about primary schooling is the compliance of the children. Looking back, nobody really questioned it. Now, there were a few "trouble makers", but they even they were simply acting out with no thought behind it. Now, things are different. I especially, but others as well, no longer take things as given. We can doubt. We can argue. We can rebel.

The worst thing about starting school at five is that you're brain washing a mind that's completely defenceless. Oh, and the fact our homework had to be signed by a parent. Wtf?

Don't take life so seriously, it isn't permanent.
05-12-2009 06:58 AM
Reptorian Offline
Fanatic

Given 18 thank(s) in 13 post(s)

That's an pretty bad experience that you had back at elementary school. There's an load of reasons why they are acting like slave master such as fear, co-ercion, control and the rulers. All of the combination above will results in the teachers acting like an master who like to take over control of the children trying to make them being afraid and controllable. When you have mentioned this story of yours, it made me thought that children are easily the most manipulative age there is in the biological history of many humans. They had to make the parents signs the homework since the teacher will infer that the students have finished the homework all by himself/herself.

P.S: Am I slightly offtopic or completely offtopic?

ZZZ...
05-13-2009 06:54 AM
Incollegenow Offline
Renegade

CrayolaColours Wrote:It's funny, I remember that a long time ago, when I actually had my elementary school teachers, I remember thinking how nice they were, then now, I look back and I think, hell, they were complete bastards. Once my 1st grade teacher yelled at me and I couldn't go to story time *sniffle* (lol) over something I didn't do. I got hurt on the playground so I went to the nurse. After a bit the nurse said I could go outside, well, I went outside and nobody was there so I was locked out because the doors were always on auto-lock. The teacher yelled at me because she thought I was hiding, she wouldn't even let me complete a sentence to tell her why! Every time I opened my mouth she told me to shut up and to stop giving excuses. Bitch...

Same here. I actually thought a lot of the teachers were nice, but looking back, some were just not as bad as others. There were really only 2 teachers I've had that were nice (first and second grade).

And not letting you explain, I HATE that. It's like they just want a reason to punish you. Bastards!!
05-27-2009 09:46 AM
Will Offline
Fanatic

Given 29 thank(s) in 16 post(s)

CrayolaColours Wrote:It's funny, I remember that a long time ago, when I actually had my elementary school teachers, I remember thinking how nice they were, then now, I look back and I think, hell, they were complete bastards. Once my 1st grade teacher yelled at me and I couldn't go to story time *sniffle* (lol) over something I didn't do. I got hurt on the playground so I went to the nurse. After a bit the nurse said I could go outside, well, I went outside and nobody was there so I was locked out because the doors were always on auto-lock. The teacher yelled at me because she thought I was hiding, she wouldn't even let me complete a sentence to tell her why! Every time I opened my mouth she told me to shut up and to stop giving excuses. Bitch...
YES! (Well, actually, I think I was skeptical enough that I wasn't quite sure of what people were saying but didn't think about it much.) So many horribly strict, controlling teachers were talked highly of even though they were simply evil.

And even though school generally gets better as I get older, I still remember elementary school and follow habitual responses to the teachers' various controlling behaviours.
06-21-2009 09:05 PM
jammoe Offline
Rebel

Given 1 thank(s) in 1 post(s)

Teachers are two things in large amounts: delusional, and obsessed over their own perceived lack of power. Teachers are delusional in thinking that both their authority and what it's used for actually are really good things, in the interests of society and of students themselves. They also have a persecution complex: why are all my students out to get me, why won't my bosses let me do my job, why do they always tell me what to do when I know better, etc. They translate their own felt lack of authority into something they take out on their students: the real trouble is that they only rarely connect the two, and even when they do, the moralizing about how by being authoritarian they're really helping students usually muffles any criticism of the system, or self-criticism.
06-30-2009 02:05 PM
 Thanks given by: Aureate
Zstriker Offline
Revolutionary

Given 3 thank(s) in 3 post(s)

Ouch, it's reasons like this I'm glad I can't remember much past 3 or 4 years ago. Thank you full-range memory loss!

*Insert awesome signature here*
Goingcrazy
"You can fight with only 2 things, your wits and your weapons."-Zach Eckard
Soldier1-"Remember the Alamo!"
Soldier2-"Didn't everyone die at the Alamo?"
Soldier1-"Don't remember that part!"
06-30-2009 06:57 PM

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  5 Reasons You Hated School (That You Were Right About) Miller0700 3 4,007 03-28-2016 11:12 PM
Last Post: Rule_BreakerXVIII
  Elementary School is Sexist KFC Nyan Cat 14 5,699 11-12-2014 07:50 AM
Last Post: sswbm
  I always hated school. Eanw 7 4,544 10-24-2013 09:03 AM
Last Post: James Comey
  Elementary school was pointless.... James Comey 4 3,059 09-28-2013 07:25 AM
Last Post: brainiac3397
  Elementary nostalgia... James Comey 11 4,515 09-05-2013 03:43 PM
Last Post: Subb
  My elementary school sucked. ProfessorDoxus 3 2,710 06-07-2013 03:41 AM
Last Post: NightHawk877