RIP School Survival Forums
August 2001 - June 2017

The School Survival Forums are permanently retired. If you need help with quitting school, unsupportive parents or anything else, there is a list of resources on the Help Page.

If you want to write about your experiences in school, you can write on our blog.

To everyone who joined these forums at some point, and got discouraged by the negativity and left after a while (or even got literally scared off): I'm sorry.

I wasn't good enough at encouraging people to be kinder, and removing people who refuse to be kind. Encouraging people is hard, and removing people creates conflict, and I hate conflict... so that's why I wasn't better at it.

I was a very, very sensitive teen. The atmosphere of this forum as it is now, if it had existed in 1996, would probably have upset me far more than it would have helped.

I can handle quite a lot of negativity and even abuse now, but that isn't the point. I want to help people. I want to help the people who need it the most, and I want to help people like the 1996 version of me.

I'm still figuring out the best way to do that, but as it is now, these forums are doing more harm than good, and I can't keep running them.

Thank you to the few people who have tried to understand my point of view so far. I really, really appreciate you guys. You are beautiful people.

Everyone else: If after everything I've said so far, you still don't understand my motivations, I think it's unlikely that you will. We're just too different. Maybe someday in the future it might make sense, but until then, there's no point in arguing about it. I don't have the time or the energy for arguing anymore. I will focus my time and energy on people who support me, and those who need help.

-SoulRiser

The forums are mostly read-only and are in a maintenance/testing phase, before being permanently archived. Please use this time to get the contact details of people you'd like to keep in touch with. My contact details are here.

Please do not make a mirror copy of the forums in their current state - things will still change, and some people have requested to be able to edit or delete some of their personal info.

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 5 Average
One simple and easy change schools can make.
roflcopter Offline
Defiant

Given 0 thank(s) in 0 post(s)
Re: One simple and easy change schools can make.

Quote:Anyone, at any age, and at any time whatsoever, is free to take the final high school graduation exam, without attending any classes in that school whatsoever before that point, or having any previous requirements (like years passed or whatever). They can just get a list somewhere of everything that the exam will cover, and it'll be up to them to make sure they can pass. That way people who have the means and motivation to study all that stuff for the final exam can do so at their own pace, in whichever way suits them best, be that by themselves, with their parents, a tutor, different classes, whatever, and then they just take the exam. Either with everyone else their age, or a few years early, or a few years late, whichever works best for them and their particular family/household/situation/whatever.

That would be a step in the right direction, but it does'nt address the problem that forced schooling is wrong in the first place. I also think what you are suggesting is feasible. People that do this are still in one way or another going to be labeled drop outs. So why change the system when you can just end it?
01-04-2011 10:09 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
jnkbortka Offline
Crazy Redneck

Given 1 thank(s) in 1 post(s)
RE: One simple and easy change schools can make.

(05-08-2009 07:49 AM)AWOL Wrote:  It wouldn't work, I'm telling you now. You have three factions here: The Government, The Parents and The Kids.

The Government wants money, and we're in recession/depression. They will do near anything to get the money.

The Parents was their kids to have an education. They are also ignorant of their kids' pleas.

The Kids are brainwashed. Society tells them nothing aside from want they 'need' to know. They don't want to do exams.

You have three factions against you for the most part.

It. Will. Not. Work.

that's why when we are old enough to run for public office, everyone on this friggin forum needs to!
10-29-2011 07:38 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Geeksta Offline
Revolutionary

Given 3 thank(s) in 3 post(s)

And lose, or get impeached in a few days. How do you expect us to get into offices, without lying like there's no tommorow?

Freedom is never given; it is always taken. So for the fact that you're not a slave, don't thank those in authority. Thank someone with a "bad attitude."
-Kevin Carson

sexual abuse of sheep is baaaaaaaaad
-BaronVonStrangle

School brings us together, but it doesn't bring us together
-Derchin

We lost Vietnam cuz we didn't train our soldiers to quickscope.
-gore goroth
10-30-2011 05:29 AM
gore goroth Offline
trollface abbath

Given 74 thank(s) in 52 post(s)

(10-29-2011 07:38 AM)jnkbortka Wrote:  
(05-08-2009 07:49 AM)AWOL Wrote:  It wouldn't work, I'm telling you now. You have three factions here: The Government, The Parents and The Kids.

The Government wants money, and we're in recession/depression. They will do near anything to get the money.

The Parents was their kids to have an education. They are also ignorant of their kids' pleas.

The Kids are brainwashed. Society tells them nothing aside from want they 'need' to know. They don't want to do exams.

You have three factions against you for the most part.

It. Will. Not. Work.

that's why when we are old enough to run for public office, everyone on this friggin forum needs to!

You think honest everyday people can be elected president?Rofl

[Image: 1127%20-%20animated_gif%20crazy_frog%20d...mortal.gif]
10-30-2011 09:32 AM
jnkbortka Offline
Crazy Redneck

(10-30-2011 09:32 AM)gore goroth Wrote:  You think honest everyday people can be elected president?Rofl

not president, but state reps and state senators, and the states are gonna come before anything federal
11-02-2011 09:26 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
LOON_ATTIC Offline
A NERD

Given 60 thank(s) in 49 post(s)

I took the stupid high school exit exam, passed math with a perfect score and english with a relatively high one, yet I still have to take about 2 years of this crap. Meh. Since they make sophomores take it.

[Image: glorious666.png]
(This post was last modified: 11-02-2011 10:51 AM by LOON_ATTIC.)
11-02-2011 10:51 AM
Stadium Offline
Fanatic

Given 68 thank(s) in 47 post(s)

There's no way they would do that, but it would be fucking awesome.
11-15-2011 04:40 AM
DanielNavrotsky Offline
Defiant

As good as this idea sounds, it will never work. The government want kids to be brainwashed and support them. A great idea is just shutting the whole bullshit school system anyway. As a 13 year old, I learn NOTHING from school, I learn most of the things I find useful on-line or outside.
11-19-2011 12:04 PM
Mondasin Offline
Revolutionary

Some one earlier in this thread mentioned things like putting together a project, and showing that you can do good detailed research for an essay/paper. My highschool might have a nice answer to that, the Culminating Project that every senior has to complete to graduate.

the CP(their shorting for it) is a reseach project, with a speach/presentation aspect set in an interview setting. You dress up nice like you should be at a job interview (yes you got graded on this, and yes I got marked down for not wearing a damn tie) You have a series of questions 6-7 are standard and one random one from a separate list. You would answer the questions, provide evidence of research with each answer and your answers would include the career you wished to pursue.

yes this project was a pain, and provided little in the learning department, but the school wanted it done. I think I still have the complete papers for it somewhere if you guys wanted to look at it, but adding a presentation portion after students have passed a standardized academic assessment showing that they have all the required knowledge of a highschool graduate would help give this more promise.
11-27-2011 12:19 AM
xydougie Offline
Renegade

Given 4 thank(s) in 3 post(s)

Sounds legit

The only thing is people will probably say stuff like
" oh well then what're kids gonna do all day huh? Play video games and Facebook?"

Still seems awesome though and they could fire a bunch of staff and cut back on the budget and decrease taxes
12-02-2011 10:44 AM
aCol Offline
Distiller of hate

Given 20 thank(s) in 14 post(s)

Well, I wouldn't have anything from it, but my little brother would. And I support the Idea. Would have took the Final Exam every year, just trying to be as good as possible until its as good as I want (yes, sorry, I like to exploit stuff). If it were like this, I'd already be out of school, have a job I like and live the life I always wanted. And I mean it.
I don't think this is going to happen however, hence there are some parasites actually getting paid for people being 12 years in hell. And no, its not necessarily the teachers...
12-04-2011 12:08 PM
chadkick Offline
Defiant

Watch on YouTube
(05-08-2009 01:39 AM)|55555| Wrote:  They aren't going to do that. They want to keep you the full 12 years so they can complete the brainwashing.
03-19-2012 01:42 AM
Endeavourer Offline
Renegade

Given 5 thank(s) in 5 post(s)

The probability of this working is not likely. It is a step in the right direction, but all the assholes and pricks will crap it more. How so? Well... er.. they can always make the tests during the first 3 quarters of the year insanely hard, and then lower the standards for the testing done near the end of the year. Basically, school is there to make you naive and ignorant and then waste your time so you have no free time.

Besides, someone has to make the test, so it's not possible to have a test since the start of the year unless major tax dollars is made to make a different test for every single day. Because l'm not sure about most schools, my school has a different test every year. They don't give the test last year to the people of the following year or even any test from before. There are always new questions. Therefore, this will not be possible.

Testing every term can be possible, but still, requires a new test every term to be made. And this won't work either because it would just be a new excuse to schools trying to hoard tax money and to make people study harder and all that pro-school propaganda or to keep people longer at school and then to make the tests in the first 3 terms extremely difficult and then the one at the end of the year more easily.

Look, you can't fix a broken system. You have to scrape the entire thing and start from scratch if you want to get good results. This won't work at all. Razz
(This post was last modified: 05-13-2012 04:45 AM by Endeavourer.)
05-13-2012 04:44 AM
SoulRiser Offline
Site Founder

Given 1978 thank(s) in 1208 post(s)

Eh, once a year would be good enough I suppose. It'd be better than it is now at least.

"If you can, help others; if you cannot do that, at least do not harm them." - Dalai Lama
Help & Support - Get help with leaving school, unsupportive parents, and more.
Click here if school makes you depressed or suicidal

Support School Survival on Patreon or Donate Bitcoin Here: 1Q5WCcxWjayniaL92b8GfXBiGdfjmnUNa2
"Believe those who are seeking the truth. Doubt those who find it." - André Paul Guillaume Gide
"The true sign of intelligence is not knowledge but imagination." - Albert Einstein
"I'm pretty sure there's a lot of beauty that can only be found in the mind of a lunatic." - TheCancer
EIPD - Emotionally Incompetent Parent Disorder

Push Button for Collection of Useful Links:
Hidden stuff:
05-14-2012 04:23 AM
derekfuller Offline
Defiant

I totally agreed with what has been discussed but according to me anyone has the right to educate at any point of time regardless of his age or gender so if a child has that potential in him to carry out the examination at the small age he can but after so many calculations and so much of study by our education system these present day education system is constructed so,It would really hard to implement the new ones.
05-15-2012 04:25 PM
smithmt Offline
Rebel

(05-08-2009 01:58 AM)SoulRiser Wrote:  Here's the thing though. Most people aren't in on that "brainwashing" scheme, if anyone alive today even still is. That was inspired by Prussia. I can't imagine any teachers opposing the idea. Well, actually, I can. I just remembered that in the US, schools get government money based on student attendance. So they wouldn't want to change that indeed. However, if enough parents supported the idea... Scratchchin

In today's No Child Left Behind mindset, many schools are more worried about their final GRADE as opposed to the individual success of the student. Please bare in mind that that is the DISTRICT level, not the classroom level. That said, graduation rates impact high schools in many states (my example is Florida) if you graduate early, then you are actually doing the school a favor. as far as the tax roles go, you might cost the individual SCHOOL money, but the district will barely be impacted, and seeing as how THEY make the rules... I think it is a wonderful idea. Those who have the drive to do well, or know the subject, don't have to waste time in a classroom, and can take electives that in which they might be interested, and the students that need extra help can have smaller class-mates and therefore more 1-on-1 teaching.

I AM A TEACHER, DON'T FREAK!
05-19-2012 02:15 AM
KingChronos Offline
Rebel

I would absolutely fucking love that. I wish that I could have done that back when I was 7, because I actually could have graduated back then. I still can, now, the only difference is that I've wasted so damn much of my time there.

http://forums.school-survival.net/showth...pid=470145 -How can I get money for my paypal account, to buy Let's Play tools online, without my parents knowing about it?

Quod est usque, splendorem sociorum? AUCTARIUM est mater tua avia moritur, fastidio mihi faciem tuam, et nihil plus solito amabis oculos, et alat eos in sacculum Canis amici mei!
08-05-2012 08:04 PM
guts12 Offline
Insane Survivor

Given 30 thank(s) in 22 post(s)

I don't see why there needs to be an evaluation at all. You should be able to leave as soon as you want, with an evaluation set up in case you want to test yourself. That way, there wouldn't be less restrictions to the students. The suggestion basically still requires the shackles of the test, where as this is your own decision. To prevent idiocy causing idiocy, simply make a certain age when it's your own choice, and have parents choose before then. That negates any arguements people can throw at you about "well, children can't decide for themselves" and "what about children who hate school, and just want to leave". I know this defies some arguement made here, and I don't support these arguements, but they exist. This is simply a way around the conformists etc.
09-03-2012 09:01 AM
IamNoone Offline
Pro Procrastinator

Given 63 thank(s) in 46 post(s)

^They already have that.

The purpose of life is a life with a purpose
So I’d rather die for a cause than live a life that is worthless
I don’t need the circus or the day of national observance
I need you to think for you and stop being a servant
-Immortal Technique, The Martyr, The Martyr
09-03-2012 10:06 AM
SoulRiser Offline
Site Founder

Yeah, it's generally either 16 or 18. Age-based choices are stupid, though. The only reason I suggested the test is because a lot of people seem to actually value those things. I know they don't really prove anything, but people seem to want them. Mostly for college and employment purposes. If someone came up with a better way to test someone's knowledge/skill/whatever, and people actually decided to use that, that'd be nice. But for the meantime I guess we'll have to stick with tests and whatnot.

Besides, this was supposed to be about one simple and easy change, not things that would require a lot of perspective-changing. Razz

"If you can, help others; if you cannot do that, at least do not harm them." - Dalai Lama

Support School Survival on Patreon or Donate Bitcoin Here: 1Q5WCcxWjayniaL92b8GfXBiGdfjmnUNa2
"Believe those who are seeking the truth. Doubt those who find it." - André Paul Guillaume Gide
"The true sign of intelligence is not knowledge but imagination." - Albert Einstein
"I'm pretty sure there's a lot of beauty that can only be found in the mind of a lunatic." - TheCancer

Hidden stuff:
09-04-2012 02:59 AM
LeftyGuitar Offline
Rebel

Given 3 thank(s) in 3 post(s)

That's a pretty cool idea. Of course there would be stigma and some people would say that would never work. But I think it could work and it would a cool idea.
10-05-2012 11:54 AM
 Thanks given by: SoulRiser
MonkeyDerp Offline
Defiant

so simple, but it would solve almost everything... i'm going to talk to my teachers about this idea.
12-05-2012 05:26 AM
LiptomaticMate Offline
N/A

Given 61 thank(s) in 45 post(s)

School still sucks... Why being compulsory?
12-06-2012 03:56 PM
ThorodonSorrow Offline
Just another face in the crowd.

Given 14 thank(s) in 13 post(s)

(05-08-2009 01:30 AM)SoulRiser Wrote:  I have a proposition. How would you (all of you) feel if schools stayed EXACTLY the same as they are now, except for one addition:

Anyone, at any age, and at any time whatsoever (EDIT: on second thought, having them once a year is probably more practical), is free to take the final high school graduation exam, without attending any classes in that school whatsoever before that point, or having any previous requirements (like years passed or whatever). They can just get a list somewhere of everything that the exam will cover, and it'll be up to them to make sure they can pass. That way people who have the means and motivation to study all that stuff for the final exam can do so at their own pace, in whichever way suits them best, be that by themselves, with their parents, a tutor, different classes, whatever, and then they just take the exam. Either with everyone else their age, or a few years early, or a few years late, whichever works best for them and their particular family/household/situation/whatever.

That way homeschoolers can get a regular high school diploma if they want (if they can't already, I don't know), and the GED will be replaced with this and there'll be no need for two seperate things that are almost identical. And people who drop out won't be harassed so much by people saying "But you need the diploma!!", 'cause they can just say "Well, yeah, I'm still gonna get it". Either that or "I already have it". Shrug

If this idea gets implemented, the kids who have parents who are totally opposed to alternatives can at least attempt to graduate early. And hey, I can't imagine any parent having a problem with that. "OMG my kid graduated early, he's such a genius!!!!"... or something.

Thoughts?

I think this should go for Highschool students only. Only because as a little kid, in Elementary school, you don't really realize the importance of school and whatnot [if there is any]. Also as a Middle schooler, you know some of the importance but not enough to really care. However, as a highschool student, you know what you need to know, and you're now old enough to understand your decision of going to school or not.
12-12-2012 04:34 PM
SoulRiser Offline
Site Founder

If a middle schooler can actually pass the high school graduation exam, why not let them?

Hidden stuff:
12-13-2012 04:15 AM
ThorodonSorrow Offline
Just another face in the crowd.

Given 14 thank(s) in 13 post(s)

Thank you.
12-14-2012 05:11 AM
Trekkie_Aspie Offline
Fanatic

Given 120 thank(s) in 87 post(s)

Hmmm...I know how to help the schools accept this! Students who graduate early are counted as an extra success. Let's say a child graduates at 10. Now, in England, the compulsory education age is 16. Colleges are community colleges. Universities are understood the way Americans understand college. If a child attends any college courses or hell, university courses if they're smart enough or other documented forms of education between 10 and 16, both the alma mater and the institution the child attends receive funding for the child... in the case of a now homeschooled child, the parents get the other half. Yeh, totally stolen off the idea of homeschooled children getting dual credit for attending certain college classes.

If I seem rude to you, please call me on it gently.
One thing (among many others) school couldn't teach you.

((Google Asperger's Syndrome))

stupid article
02-09-2013 01:04 AM
 Thanks given by: SoulRiser
brainiac3397 Offline
Machiavellian Amoeba

Given 1983 thank(s) in 1428 post(s)

I've heard of some cases of graduating early(and some schools letting students apply a year early, though it's difficult).

Personality DNA Report
(06-14-2013 08:02 AM)Potato Wrote:  watch the fuq out, we've got an "intellectual" over here.

Hidden stuff:
[Image: watch-out-we-got-a-badass-over-here-meme-240x180.png]
Brainiac3397's Mental Health Status Log Wrote:[Image: l0Iy5HKskJO5XD3Wg.gif]
02-12-2013 02:57 PM
Trekkie_Aspie Offline
Fanatic

Given 120 thank(s) in 87 post(s)

Hmm ... we don't have diplomas/GEDS here. I think the equivalent standard would be something like being allowed to take 5 GCSEs at any point.. anything below a C is a failure.* I'm not sure how you can have a GENERAL Certificate of Secondary Education in a specific subject but there you go...

*Techincally, it's a U that is failed. But ... for practical access to employment/further/higher education, anything lower than 5 GCSES passes at C level (English, Maths and Science are biggies) means you didn't graduate highschool.

If I seem rude to you, please call me on it gently.
One thing (among many others) school couldn't teach you.

((Google Asperger's Syndrome))

stupid article
03-31-2013 12:03 AM
stevehein Offline
Pariah

Given 327 thank(s) in 188 post(s)

(05-08-2009 01:39 AM)|55555| Wrote:  They aren't going to do that. They want to keep you the full 12 years so they can complete the brainwashing.

Agree- unfortunately.... :(

I asked a very smart student from Canada once what she thought the schools highest value or priority was - she said attendance.

And now of course in some places, schools get money per day per student who shows up, no matter what their motivation is for being there.
06-25-2013 05:55 PM