RIP School Survival Forums
August 2001 - June 2017

The School Survival Forums are permanently retired. If you need help with quitting school, unsupportive parents or anything else, there is a list of resources on the Help Page.

If you want to write about your experiences in school, you can write on our blog.

To everyone who joined these forums at some point, and got discouraged by the negativity and left after a while (or even got literally scared off): I'm sorry.

I wasn't good enough at encouraging people to be kinder, and removing people who refuse to be kind. Encouraging people is hard, and removing people creates conflict, and I hate conflict... so that's why I wasn't better at it.

I was a very, very sensitive teen. The atmosphere of this forum as it is now, if it had existed in 1996, would probably have upset me far more than it would have helped.

I can handle quite a lot of negativity and even abuse now, but that isn't the point. I want to help people. I want to help the people who need it the most, and I want to help people like the 1996 version of me.

I'm still figuring out the best way to do that, but as it is now, these forums are doing more harm than good, and I can't keep running them.

Thank you to the few people who have tried to understand my point of view so far. I really, really appreciate you guys. You are beautiful people.

Everyone else: If after everything I've said so far, you still don't understand my motivations, I think it's unlikely that you will. We're just too different. Maybe someday in the future it might make sense, but until then, there's no point in arguing about it. I don't have the time or the energy for arguing anymore. I will focus my time and energy on people who support me, and those who need help.

-SoulRiser

The forums are mostly read-only and are in a maintenance/testing phase, before being permanently archived. Please use this time to get the contact details of people you'd like to keep in touch with. My contact details are here.

Please do not make a mirror copy of the forums in their current state - things will still change, and some people have requested to be able to edit or delete some of their personal info.

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 5 Average
One simple and easy change schools can make.
The Desert Fox Offline
Waging war with conviction

Given 102 thank(s) in 75 post(s)
Re: One simple and easy change schools can make.

The people who post things up on Failbook like "omg skool sux mah techer is liek so dum!!!!111!!111!1" are anything but actual anti-schoolers.

Hidden stuff:
(11-27-2011 01:00 PM)psychopath Wrote:  
(11-27-2011 10:52 AM)Efs Wrote:  Our Army is more professional than Amerika. Smile
Except ours isn't allowed to have guns
CrayolaColours Wrote:That post owned. TDF wins post of the year.
Faby Wrote:
krissy Wrote:dessert fox
Mmm, flambéed vulpine.
"There is no enemy, there is no victory, only boys who lost their lives in the sand."
[/center]
03-13-2010 10:54 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
A Offline
Defiant

Given 0 thank(s) in 0 post(s)

There is actually a school like that near where I live...it's like a normal high school, but even if you don't pass any classes, there is a final exam you can take and,if you pass, still get full credit AND get promoted to the next grade or graduate Biggrin . One of my friends is supposed to be a sophmore, but she passed that exam and is, officially, a junior.
03-24-2010 11:28 AM
Prince Rilian Offline
attic fan

Given 57 thank(s) in 47 post(s)

I don't know anything about it, but there's some kind of test that engineers take. As I understand, the test is given by a private organization, and companies use it as a standard because it's convenient. But you don't have to take any classes, you can just take the test if you want.

When people say oh employers need blah blah blah, I say there can be more of that. There could be companies that say to other companies "we will create a test for your potential employees". If standards emerge naturally, everyone starts using the same few things, no problem. New companies can always try something different if they want, though.

It's kind of like how almost every college accepts SAT or ACT scores. Those aren't government tests. They're made by private organizations, and the colleges make use of them because they are there and they serve their purposes. And individuals can take SAT classes, but you don't have to and it isn't expected.

Everything should be like that.

Life is good. Jeta është e mirë. Goingcrazy
Die lewe is goed.
Het leven is goed.

Zoidberg: What is it, already? What's the cause of your anger?
Leela: I guess I would have to say, I hate you!
04-09-2010 05:34 PM
SoulRiser Offline
Site Founder

Given 1978 thank(s) in 1208 post(s)

Quote:It's kind of like how almost every college accepts SAT or ACT scores. Those aren't government tests. They're made by private organizations, and the colleges make use of them because they are there and they serve their purposes. And individuals can take SAT classes, but you don't have to and it isn't expected.

Everything should be like that.
This. That wouldn't even be hard to do at all. They can even keep schools as they are if they want, just let people quit early and take those tests whenever they want.

The only problem is society's views of those tests. Do they "value" the tests, or do they value the fact that a person endured 12 years of schooling more than whatever the actual test measures?

"If you can, help others; if you cannot do that, at least do not harm them." - Dalai Lama
Help & Support - Get help with leaving school, unsupportive parents, and more.
Click here if school makes you depressed or suicidal

Support School Survival on Patreon or Donate Bitcoin Here: 1Q5WCcxWjayniaL92b8GfXBiGdfjmnUNa2
"Believe those who are seeking the truth. Doubt those who find it." - André Paul Guillaume Gide
"The true sign of intelligence is not knowledge but imagination." - Albert Einstein
"I'm pretty sure there's a lot of beauty that can only be found in the mind of a lunatic." - TheCancer
EIPD - Emotionally Incompetent Parent Disorder

Push Button for Collection of Useful Links:
Hidden stuff:
04-15-2010 06:48 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Prince Rilian Offline
attic fan

SoulRiser Wrote:The only problem is society's views of those tests. Do they "value" the tests, or do they value the fact that a person endured 12 years of schooling more than whatever the actual test measures?
Home-schooled people or people who went to some other kind of non-accredited high school are admitted to college based solely on SAT or ACT scores. (That's what happened with me.)

Die lewe is goed.
Het leven is goed.

04-15-2010 10:23 AM
Cosbydaf Offline
Fanatic

Given 19 thank(s) in 17 post(s)

Wow, so in one post you say public school is not brainwashing and to get over it, but in this thread you say most people just aren't in on the scheme.

Hypocritical dick.
04-20-2010 09:33 PM
McGee! Offline
Defender of...

Given 10 thank(s) in 9 post(s)

This would be awesome if it could ever happen. It would be awesome to see the five year old that first passes the test...

Sociopath Wrote:
The Desert Fox Wrote:Colbert is awesome.
/threaditude.
Generation Y Cuban blog-English blog
Hidden stuff:
hewhodestroysall Wrote:Honestly I never figured the point of the esrb.
Point is you can't censor reality.
U.S. Supreme Court Justice Abe Fortas, Tinker v. Des Moines (1969) Wrote:In our system, state-operated schools may not be enclaves of totalitarianism. School officials do not possess absolute authority over their students. Students in school as well as out of school are "persons" under our Constitution."
Rebelnerd Wrote:Human rights are being violated by US law enforcement. This is what the media is here for, you're supposed to be the watchdogs! You're supposed to stand up for the downtrodden, not belittle them as though all their problems amount to nothing more than some angry glares toward parents and sabotaging their computers.
I've seen so much shit done to youth and for some reason, this has made me angrier than I've felt in years. Abuse and oppression happens all over the world. It's a terrible reality of modern society, but we've all accepted that it happens and we're doing what we can to fight it and build a better world.
But this...this mindless, condescending disrespect toward people who have no legal voice with which to defend themselves, this reduction of parents' betrayal into a cheap crack about kids being computer-savvy...it's like watching a surgeon joke about life insurance while his patient bleeds to death on the operating table. The media's job is to protect society from oppression and they've drawn a clear line between the people worth protecting and the people that don't matter. How can they people sleep at night?

You're a journalist. DO. YOUR. FUCKING. JOB.

(04-28-2010 08:17 AM)Liquid Wrote:  Laws never seem to help people fight School. Laws only matter if the students are braking them...

(12-03-2011 07:40 AM)SoulRiser Wrote:  Solution to all these problems: don't fuck people you can't negotiate with in a civilized manner.
(02-09-2012 02:14 PM)Absentinsomniac Wrote:  The only solution is democratic self-paced education where students can excel in what they are good at and work on what their not if necessary, AT THEIR OWN DAMN PACE IN THEIR OWN DAMN WAY.

Don't Board the Censor Ship
04-21-2010 04:55 AM
AWOL Offline
The Spooning Bard

Given 36 thank(s) in 34 post(s)

+1 also Account Ban.

[Image: 9be30a7.png]
[Image: LyingFloraBanner.jpg]
05-06-2010 11:29 PM
The Desert Fox Offline

:banhammer:

Hidden stuff:
(11-27-2011 10:52 AM)Efs Wrote:  Our Army is more professional than Amerika. Smile
Faby Wrote:
Mmm, flambéed vulpine.
"There is no enemy, there is no victory, only boys who lost their lives in the sand."
[/center]
05-07-2010 04:21 AM
Prince Rilian Offline
attic fan

McGee! Wrote:This would be awesome if it could ever happen. It would be awesome to see the five year old that first passes the test...
Why would a 5-year-old know anything about shakespeare or the dustbowl or any of the other random crap that's so "important" in high school?

Die lewe is goed.
Het leven is goed.

05-07-2010 05:05 AM
Liquid Offline
poison - do not drink

Given 2 thank(s) in 2 post(s)

Prince Rilian Wrote:
McGee! Wrote:This would be awesome if it could ever happen. It would be awesome to see the five year old that first passes the test...
Why would a 5-year-old know anything about shakespeare or the dustbowl or any of the other random crap that's so "important" in high school?

I knew about Shakespeare and the Dustbowl when I was 5...

//

[Image: techhoops5.jpg]
05-07-2010 07:26 AM
Prince Rilian Offline
attic fan

Liquid Wrote:
Prince Rilian Wrote:

I knew about Shakespeare and the Dustbowl when I was 5...
That just makes you weird.

Anyway, those were just examples. And why the fuck did you capitalize dustbowl?

Die lewe is goed.
Het leven is goed.

05-07-2010 08:00 AM
Liquid Offline
poison - do not drink

Given 2 thank(s) in 2 post(s)

Because it's a proper noun Cool

Also because part of my family that was in the US back then had to move because of it.

//

[Image: techhoops5.jpg]
05-07-2010 08:06 AM
Prince Rilian Offline
attic fan

Liquid Wrote:Also because part of my family that was in the US back then had to move because of it.
That's a dumb reason.

Die lewe is goed.
Het leven is goed.

05-07-2010 08:13 AM
AWOL Offline
The Spooning Bard

His first reason was good enough.

05-08-2010 01:01 PM
samaste.march Offline
Defiant

One simple and easy change can make school. That's true, but not only one change of one mind. School change is made by many students and teachers. Mainly students make many simple and easy change for school. That was very simple on that time but in future it makes so large difference.

(ignore me, i am a spammer)
06-15-2010 09:15 PM
Raikuron Offline
Fanatic

Given 3 thank(s) in 3 post(s)

The fuck are you saying?
06-15-2010 09:26 PM
Faby Offline
work in progress

Given 61 thank(s) in 45 post(s)

I suspect troll, spambot, or trollbot.

Let go of all desire for the common good, and the good becomes common as grass.

~~

Good fortune follows upon disaster;
Disaster lurks within good fortune;
Who can say how things will end?
Perhaps there is no end.
06-15-2010 09:41 PM
Akai Offline
Revolutionary

I think that's a good idea. The public education system would quickly die out, making way for democratic education and other forms of schooling that aren't shit to take over.

Of course, that's why the government will not allow this change to be implemented. They want students to be indoctrinated, docile, and easily controlled. See the link in my signature.

06-15-2010 10:49 PM
Absnt Offline
Fanatic

Given 184 thank(s) in 127 post(s)

Akai Wrote:I think that's a good idea. The public education system would quickly die out, making way for democratic education and other forms of schooling that aren't shit to take over.

Of course, that's why the government will not allow this change to be implemented. They want students to be indoctrinated, docile, and easily controlled. See the link in my signature.

Pretty cool videos actually.

Blog I post to now:
http://blog.darknedgy.net

Edfreedom.org -- An organization for more freedom in education.
http://www.edfreedom.org/join-us/
06-16-2010 03:06 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Denied Offline
Banned

Given 1 thank(s) in 1 post(s)

Schools insist that what they do is more than a test score, thus kids need to do all of the bullshit. Never mind that practically, it is.
06-16-2010 05:12 AM
The Desert Fox Offline

Denied Wrote:Schools insist that what they do is more than a test score, thus kids need to do all of the bullshit. Never mind that practically, it is.
Well, yeah. You can usually get away without doing all your make-up work and whatnot as long as you get a good enough score on the finals.

Hidden stuff:
Faby Wrote:
Mmm, flambéed vulpine.
[/center]
06-16-2010 08:47 AM
AWOL Offline
The Spooning Bard

The Desert Fox Wrote:
Denied Wrote:Schools insist that what they do is more than a test score, thus kids need to do all of the bullshit. Never mind that practically, it is.
Well, yeah. You can usually get away without doing all your make-up work and whatnot as long as you get a good enough score on the finals.
Not really, no. As a general rule, you get in moar shit for not doing the make-up work than fucking up on the test.

06-16-2010 08:02 PM
The Desert Fox Offline

AWOL Wrote:
The Desert Fox Wrote:
Not really, no. As a general rule, you get in moar shit for not doing the make-up work than fucking up on the test.
Never really seemed that way for me.

Hidden stuff:
Faby Wrote:
Mmm, flambéed vulpine.
[/center]
06-16-2010 10:37 PM
Reptorian Offline
Fanatic

Given 18 thank(s) in 13 post(s)

Akai Wrote:I think that's a good idea. The public education system would quickly die out, making way for democratic education and other forms of schooling that aren't shit to take over.

As said before, for the purpose of gaining benefits from them and profits from them which is why they're doing that.

ZZZ...
06-17-2010 01:39 AM
AWOL Offline
The Spooning Bard

The Desert Fox Wrote:
AWOL Wrote:
The Desert Fox Wrote:Well, yeah. You can usually get away without doing all your make-up work and whatnot as long as you get a good enough score on the finals.
Never really seemed that way for me.
Our respective country's school systems are very different, so I suppose that'd make sense.

06-18-2010 08:10 PM
Sasayaki Offline
Rebel

it would be awsome if i could just take the exam without having to take the class. like US history. what we/I? learned in middle school in social studies: world war 1 & 2, major US court cases, cold war. What we learn in high school US history: world war 1 & 2, major US court cases, cold war. honestly i could've taken that exam and got 100% without even taking the course. to me my history class was like a long, boring everyday review class that i shouldn't be forced to go to (US history regents/final and class required for graduation) Sleep Poop

~The difference between 'involvement' and 'commitment' is like an eggs-and-ham breakfast: the chicken was 'involved' - the pig was 'committed'.
I am committed to school.
07-03-2010 10:58 AM
Raikuron Offline
Fanatic

Given 3 thank(s) in 3 post(s)

Don't bump shit.
07-04-2010 11:39 AM
Oukami_Ryuu Offline
Rebel

If you had the test like once a year then it wouldn't be that bad. It may even be better than current education in developed countries because the schools will compete more and try to make as cheap and possible and much more flexible (rules and whatnot) because they are trying to earn money and most parents would like children at school but they'll be much more picky about it and children who don't have funding for school can get scholarships. Plus the schools will probably allow you to take more advance courses if you wanted to because they want to make money.
Only problem is that you would need to convince Parents and Legislature to do it. Also if we are going to do it then we can't rush in it headstrong. But many corporation such as Raython and others that need people who been in school much longer than others because they need more knowledge in their field of study because you don't learn how to do every job in school which means they can have their own school for people interested in that study which will always allow for them to compete.
08-22-2010 02:22 PM
psychopath Offline
Fanatic

Given 60 thank(s) in 54 post(s)

This thread is too epic not to be bumped
08-22-2010 02:24 PM