RIP School Survival Forums
August 2001 - June 2017

The School Survival Forums are permanently retired. If you need help with quitting school, unsupportive parents or anything else, there is a list of resources on the Help Page.

If you want to write about your experiences in school, you can write on our blog.

To everyone who joined these forums at some point, and got discouraged by the negativity and left after a while (or even got literally scared off): I'm sorry.

I wasn't good enough at encouraging people to be kinder, and removing people who refuse to be kind. Encouraging people is hard, and removing people creates conflict, and I hate conflict... so that's why I wasn't better at it.

I was a very, very sensitive teen. The atmosphere of this forum as it is now, if it had existed in 1996, would probably have upset me far more than it would have helped.

I can handle quite a lot of negativity and even abuse now, but that isn't the point. I want to help people. I want to help the people who need it the most, and I want to help people like the 1996 version of me.

I'm still figuring out the best way to do that, but as it is now, these forums are doing more harm than good, and I can't keep running them.

Thank you to the few people who have tried to understand my point of view so far. I really, really appreciate you guys. You are beautiful people.

Everyone else: If after everything I've said so far, you still don't understand my motivations, I think it's unlikely that you will. We're just too different. Maybe someday in the future it might make sense, but until then, there's no point in arguing about it. I don't have the time or the energy for arguing anymore. I will focus my time and energy on people who support me, and those who need help.

-SoulRiser

The forums are mostly read-only and are in a maintenance/testing phase, before being permanently archived. Please use this time to get the contact details of people you'd like to keep in touch with. My contact details are here.

Please do not make a mirror copy of the forums in their current state - things will still change, and some people have requested to be able to edit or delete some of their personal info.

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 5 Average
One simple and easy change schools can make.
SoulRiser Offline
Site Founder

Given 1978 thank(s) in 1208 post(s)
One simple and easy change schools can make.

I have a proposition. How would you (all of you) feel if schools stayed EXACTLY the same as they are now, except for one addition:

Anyone, at any age, and at any time whatsoever (EDIT: on second thought, having them once a year is probably more practical), is free to take the final high school graduation exam, without attending any classes in that school whatsoever before that point, or having any previous requirements (like years passed or whatever). They can just get a list somewhere of everything that the exam will cover, and it'll be up to them to make sure they can pass. That way people who have the means and motivation to study all that stuff for the final exam can do so at their own pace, in whichever way suits them best, be that by themselves, with their parents, a tutor, different classes, whatever, and then they just take the exam. Either with everyone else their age, or a few years early, or a few years late, whichever works best for them and their particular family/household/situation/whatever.

That way homeschoolers can get a regular high school diploma if they want (if they can't already, I don't know), and the GED will be replaced with this and there'll be no need for two seperate things that are almost identical. And people who drop out won't be harassed so much by people saying "But you need the diploma!!", 'cause they can just say "Well, yeah, I'm still gonna get it". Either that or "I already have it". Shrug

If this idea gets implemented, the kids who have parents who are totally opposed to alternatives can at least attempt to graduate early. And hey, I can't imagine any parent having a problem with that. "OMG my kid graduated early, he's such a genius!!!!"... or something.

Thoughts?

"If you can, help others; if you cannot do that, at least do not harm them." - Dalai Lama
Help & Support - Get help with leaving school, unsupportive parents, and more.
Click here if school makes you depressed or suicidal

Support School Survival on Patreon or Donate Bitcoin Here: 1Q5WCcxWjayniaL92b8GfXBiGdfjmnUNa2
"Believe those who are seeking the truth. Doubt those who find it." - André Paul Guillaume Gide
"The true sign of intelligence is not knowledge but imagination." - Albert Einstein
"I'm pretty sure there's a lot of beauty that can only be found in the mind of a lunatic." - TheCancer
EIPD - Emotionally Incompetent Parent Disorder

Push Button for Collection of Useful Links:
Hidden stuff:
05-08-2009 01:30 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
 Thanks given by: DreamRebel
Faby Offline
work in progress

Given 61 thank(s) in 45 post(s)
Re: One simple and easy change schools can make.

That's genius. But why would they want that? Not the parents, the system.

Let go of all desire for the common good, and the good becomes common as grass.

~~

Good fortune follows upon disaster;
Disaster lurks within good fortune;
Who can say how things will end?
Perhaps there is no end.
05-08-2009 01:35 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
 Thanks given by: sswbm
Sunbourn Offline
Proud crazy cat man

Given 289 thank(s) in 192 post(s)

They aren't going to do that. They want to keep you the full 12 years so they can complete the brainwashing.

Who am I? Who are YOU?
05-08-2009 01:39 AM
 Thanks given by: sswbm
SoulRiser Offline
Site Founder

Here's the thing though. Most people aren't in on that "brainwashing" scheme, if anyone alive today even still is. That was inspired by Prussia. I can't imagine any teachers opposing the idea. Well, actually, I can. I just remembered that in the US, schools get government money based on student attendance. So they wouldn't want to change that indeed. However, if enough parents supported the idea... Scratchchin

"If you can, help others; if you cannot do that, at least do not harm them." - Dalai Lama

Support School Survival on Patreon or Donate Bitcoin Here: 1Q5WCcxWjayniaL92b8GfXBiGdfjmnUNa2
"Believe those who are seeking the truth. Doubt those who find it." - André Paul Guillaume Gide
"The true sign of intelligence is not knowledge but imagination." - Albert Einstein
"I'm pretty sure there's a lot of beauty that can only be found in the mind of a lunatic." - TheCancer

Hidden stuff:
05-08-2009 01:58 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
 Thanks given by: Aureate
Faby Offline
work in progress

...which they won't, mostly because the teachers would all be: "Oh, but they won't know a thing! That's why they need to go to school for 12 years, to learn!". Well, I may be antagonizing teachers more than necessary, but how'd they get their salaries if all students could pass the exams, just like that?

If one fairly young person managed to pass the exams, then I don't see why they would deny the proof before them. But in order for that to happen, it must be possible for kids to take the exams. It's a bit of a circle.

~~

Perhaps there is no end.
05-08-2009 02:12 AM
xcriteria Offline
Fanatic

Given 930 thank(s) in 612 post(s)

Yeah, that would be great. Even if it also included things like essays, or graded assignments, if the pace was up to you, that would be perfect. It could even be offered on a per-class basis, in case you wanted to take some classes in-school while challenging a bunch of others.

(There is the GED, of course, which in some states you can be pretty young to take.)
05-08-2009 03:00 AM
SoulRiser Offline
Site Founder

I think quite a reasonable amount of parents would actually go for the idea. Not all would, but after a while if enough of them do support it, the others will see that it works just fine and may become more open to the idea. Basically the point would be that the kid can choose when to take the final exam. He/she just signs up somewhere at school, shows up, takes the test, and gets the results later on. If he/she passes, yay, no more school. If not, ah well, there's always next time. There is really no logical reason for school to take up 12 years other than to make people get used to being bored and having a shitty routine every day. Some people even admit that, and then even go all "that's why it's good for you!"... lol

Hidden stuff:
05-08-2009 03:46 AM
 Thanks given by: Aureate
Faby Offline
work in progress

What would matter is also how frequently you can retake an exam if you fail it. If you can take it this week, and retake it the next... Well... I dunno, maybe I'm too biased, but I really can't see that as being any good for the schools.

~~

Perhaps there is no end.
05-08-2009 03:52 AM
SoulRiser Offline
Site Founder

Yeah, I suppose the "value" of the diploma would go down. Then again, its value is based purely on perception as it is anyway.

Hidden stuff:
05-08-2009 04:25 AM
xcriteria Offline
Fanatic

I agree that most parents would go for something like that if the school actually offered it. A test can only evaluate so much, though. Can you complete a project? Can you research things and write a paper? They would probably want a more rigorous evaluation than just a test. But whatever the evaluation is, it would be awesome if it could be taken at any time.

In a broader sense, this relates to my belief that there should be more of a separation between instruction and evaluation. In most classes, the teacher and evaluator are the same person, and you have to accept whatever instructional process they impose, before you even have the opportunity for evaluation. You should be able to choose any instructional process you wish (teachers, tutors, self-study, videos, online classes, computer-based instruction.) And whatever institution that awards credit should make it their job to evaluate that learning. You have to do some evaluation in order to teach, but why must the two always tied together? (Same issue with college.)
05-08-2009 04:27 AM
classclown Offline
Fanatic

Given 7 thank(s) in 7 post(s)

the proplem as i see it is that they would still want you taking classes. so say you blow of school work youd get in trouble and they would make it so you cant take the exam/test thing.

also parent would not go for it. im saying this when i know mine would be for it. you just get all them in the mindset that you need the 12 years, you need the college. it would be near impossible to convince them to accept it.

life is just blah blah blah. we hope for blah, and sometimes we find it. but mostly its blah. and waiting for blah. and hoping you were right about the blahs you made. and when you think you just got the whole blah damn thing figured out, and your surrounded by the ones you blah. death shows up and blah blah blah.
-weeds-

Death may be the greatest of all human blessings. -socrates-

Schooling us to prepare us for the career in need
Not caring about our interests and dreams to heed
05-08-2009 04:35 AM
xcriteria Offline
Fanatic

Getting an official high school diploma and then either going to college or getting in some other kind of learning program (or working toward a credential) would probably mean something to most parents.

Maybe there could be a program in school for people who passed the test but want to learn further things, and the school would provide some funding or at least a place to work without the typical rules and attendance requirements? Or maybe that'd be a new type of non-school place. Some kind of opportunity for interacting with other people would make the experience a lot better, whatever it was exactly, plus get parents to give it more credit in their mind.

The biggest thing though for most parents is them believing whatever you're doing will lead to a steady, decent job.
05-08-2009 04:43 AM
random_name Offline
Fanatic

Given 15 thank(s) in 15 post(s)

Sorry, thick little me in the corner, but would that mean you wouldn't have to attend class as long as you educated yourself, or had alternative education? Because even that seems too good to be true.

Hidden stuff:
"A 'no' uttered from deepest conviction is better and greater than a 'yes' merely uttered to please, or what is worse, to avoid trouble." - Mahatma Gandhi

"The irrationality of a thing is no argument against its existence, rather a condition of it."

"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy."
-Ben Franklin

"when I was a kid I used to pray for a bicycle. then I realized that god doesn't work that way. so I stole one and prayed for forgiveness."
"I would rather die for something I believe in than live for anything else."
"What is the task of higher education? To make a man into a machine. What are the means employed? He is taught how to suffer being bored." – F W Nietzsche
[Image: s-event.png]
05-08-2009 06:40 AM
classclown Offline
Fanatic

the bigest proplem is your going through the school still. and i can see them making it so you have to be this and do that to get it.

life is just blah blah blah. we hope for blah, and sometimes we find it. but mostly its blah. and waiting for blah. and hoping you were right about the blahs you made. and when you think you just got the whole blah damn thing figured out, and your surrounded by the ones you blah. death shows up and blah blah blah.
-weeds-

05-08-2009 06:41 AM
random_name Offline
Fanatic

I doubt the government would actually go for this. Because the students may actually learn something *gasp* useful.

Hidden stuff:
"A 'no' uttered from deepest conviction is better and greater than a 'yes' merely uttered to please, or what is worse, to avoid trouble." - Mahatma Gandhi

"The irrationality of a thing is no argument against its existence, rather a condition of it."

-Ben Franklin

"when I was a kid I used to pray for a bicycle. then I realized that god doesn't work that way. so I stole one and prayed for forgiveness."
"What is the task of higher education? To make a man into a machine. What are the means employed? He is taught how to suffer being bored." – F W Nietzsche
05-08-2009 06:43 AM
classclown Offline
Fanatic

random_name Wrote:I doubt the government would actually go for this. Because the students may actually learn something *gasp* useful.

not so sure really. it would still me regulated by the goverment. so we would have to study what they wanted to pass it.

-weeds-

05-08-2009 06:46 AM
random_name Offline
Fanatic

I didn't mean that. I meant we may learn something useful in the process of learning the crap.

Hidden stuff:

-Ben Franklin

05-08-2009 06:53 AM
classclown Offline
Fanatic

same as if you did it the old fashion way and sat in class. only big difference is time.

-weeds-

05-08-2009 06:55 AM
random_name Offline
Fanatic

True, but you could also learn about things you want to do.

Hidden stuff:

-Ben Franklin

05-08-2009 06:58 AM
classclown Offline
Fanatic

more with the time saved. another proplem would be geting out of school so early. jobs are not use to hireing young.

-weeds-

05-08-2009 06:59 AM
random_name Offline
Fanatic

That's true. Though if you pass your diploma early, doesn't that show you are capable and mature?

Hidden stuff:

-Ben Franklin

05-08-2009 07:02 AM
classclown Offline
Fanatic

not really jusy shows you can memorise needless knowledge

-weeds-

05-08-2009 07:04 AM
random_name Offline
Fanatic

True, i meant the way other would interpret it too.

Hidden stuff:

-Ben Franklin

05-08-2009 07:07 AM
classclown Offline
Fanatic

they would wave it of as a kid who doesnt respect the process. also some kid who wants to jump ahead.

-weeds-

05-08-2009 07:10 AM
random_name Offline
Fanatic

True. Most of them were like that too, at one point or another.

Methinks this has becoe a conversation between us two. Stopping.

Hidden stuff:

-Ben Franklin

05-08-2009 07:13 AM
AWOL Offline
The Spooning Bard

Given 36 thank(s) in 34 post(s)

It wouldn't work, I'm telling you now. You have three factions here: The Government, The Parents and The Kids.

The Government wants money, and we're in recession/depression. They will do near anything to get the money.

The Parents was their kids to have an education. They are also ignorant of their kids' pleas.

The Kids are brainwashed. Society tells them nothing aside from want they 'need' to know. They don't want to do exams.

You have three factions against you for the most part.

It. Will. Not. Work.

[Image: 9be30a7.png]
[Image: LyingFloraBanner.jpg]
05-08-2009 07:49 AM
Liquid Offline
poison - do not drink

Given 2 thank(s) in 2 post(s)

I love Soul's idea, if that had been in place I never would have needed to go to jr high and high school. I can pass any test even if I've never seen the information before.

Unfortunately I've got to agree with Mortalitas though, it'll never happen :(

//

[Image: techhoops5.jpg]
05-08-2009 07:59 AM
LOON_ATTIC Offline
A NERD

Given 60 thank(s) in 49 post(s)

I agree, but they should get rid of the control. I remember the other day in PE the SUB made us sit down in "5 seconds", ordering us around like dogs... and all this useless "discipline" is just annoying. It's brainwashing.
NEVER forget that.

Your idea is really good, but I don't think it will happen Yuck

[Image: glorious666.png]
05-09-2009 10:08 AM
psychopath Offline
Fanatic

Given 60 thank(s) in 54 post(s)

SoulRiser Wrote:Yeah, I suppose the "value" of the diploma would go down. Then again, its value is based purely on perception as it is anyway.

I think it would be perfect if people could take the test weekly. It's value is bullshit anyway.

This way pretty much anyone can do anything as long as they have the required skills and know the required knowledge.
05-09-2009 12:22 PM
The Desert Fox Offline
Waging war with conviction

Given 102 thank(s) in 75 post(s)

I hate to say it as much as you hate to hear it, ut it's not gonna work. Sure, some teachers/parents will support it, but they will be few and far-between. Most will say "Oh, they NEED all that high school education!!!" or "They're just trying to avoid something that's nescessary" or some dumb crap.

Hidden stuff:
(11-27-2011 01:00 PM)psychopath Wrote:  
(11-27-2011 10:52 AM)Efs Wrote:  Our Army is more professional than Amerika. Smile
Except ours isn't allowed to have guns
CrayolaColours Wrote:That post owned. TDF wins post of the year.
Faby Wrote:
krissy Wrote:dessert fox
Mmm, flambéed vulpine.
"There is no enemy, there is no victory, only boys who lost their lives in the sand."
[/center]
05-09-2009 05:42 PM