RIP School Survival Forums
August 2001 - June 2017

The School Survival Forums are permanently retired. If you need help with quitting school, unsupportive parents or anything else, there is a list of resources on the Help Page.

If you want to write about your experiences in school, you can write on our blog.

To everyone who joined these forums at some point, and got discouraged by the negativity and left after a while (or even got literally scared off): I'm sorry.

I wasn't good enough at encouraging people to be kinder, and removing people who refuse to be kind. Encouraging people is hard, and removing people creates conflict, and I hate conflict... so that's why I wasn't better at it.

I was a very, very sensitive teen. The atmosphere of this forum as it is now, if it had existed in 1996, would probably have upset me far more than it would have helped.

I can handle quite a lot of negativity and even abuse now, but that isn't the point. I want to help people. I want to help the people who need it the most, and I want to help people like the 1996 version of me.

I'm still figuring out the best way to do that, but as it is now, these forums are doing more harm than good, and I can't keep running them.

Thank you to the few people who have tried to understand my point of view so far. I really, really appreciate you guys. You are beautiful people.

Everyone else: If after everything I've said so far, you still don't understand my motivations, I think it's unlikely that you will. We're just too different. Maybe someday in the future it might make sense, but until then, there's no point in arguing about it. I don't have the time or the energy for arguing anymore. I will focus my time and energy on people who support me, and those who need help.

-SoulRiser

The forums are mostly read-only and are in a maintenance/testing phase, before being permanently archived. Please use this time to get the contact details of people you'd like to keep in touch with. My contact details are here.

Please do not make a mirror copy of the forums in their current state - things will still change, and some people have requested to be able to edit or delete some of their personal info.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Donnie Darko
Freeman Offline
Pariah

Given 1 thank(s) in 1 post(s)
Donnie Darko

Is the best movie on this entire planet.
05-30-2009 11:25 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
psychopath Offline
Fanatic

Given 60 thank(s) in 54 post(s)
Re: Donnie Darko

Agreed. Watching it at night is really trippy
05-30-2009 11:52 AM
dudemeister Offline
Rebel

Given 0 thank(s) in 0 post(s)

Movie is a mindscrew.

Doesn't make it any less sweet tho.

The Dude abides.

As you're probably figuring out, there are two ways to solve any dilemma: 1) The Sensible Way and 2) The Rich Asshole Way.
11-12-2009 03:23 AM
IllusoryDeath Away
~become away~

Given 8 thank(s) in 8 post(s)

@ Freeman: Cool story bro.
11-12-2009 09:22 AM
Freeman Offline
Pariah

IllusoryDeath Wrote:@ Freeman: Cool story bro.

You don't like Donnie Darko? Would you prefer transformers?
11-12-2009 09:32 AM
IllusoryDeath Away
~become away~

Fuck no. I wasn't mocking you. I just don't think that Donnie Darko is the best movie on the planet....doesn't meant that I don't like it.
11-12-2009 09:45 AM
Freeman Offline
Pariah

IllusoryDeath Wrote:Fuck no. I wasn't mocking you. I just don't think that Donnie Darko is the best movie on the planet....doesn't meant that I don't like it.
Haha alright. Just wondering, what is your favorite movie?
11-13-2009 08:27 AM
IllusoryDeath Away
~become away~

Freeman Wrote:
IllusoryDeath Wrote:Fuck no. I wasn't mocking you. I just don't think that Donnie Darko is the best movie on the planet....doesn't meant that I don't like it.

Hmmm....I can never answer this question. There are just too many awesome ones haha. I think that my favorite trilogy is the Lord of the Rings, though. ^,.,^
11-13-2009 09:36 AM
Freeman Offline
Pariah

IllusoryDeath Wrote:
Freeman Wrote:

Hmmm....I can never answer this question. There are just too many awesome ones haha. I think that my favorite trilogy is the Lord of the Rings, though. ^,.,^

Lord of the Rings is the best Biggrin
11-15-2009 04:11 AM
IllusoryDeath Away
~become away~

Freeman Wrote:Lord of the Rings is the best Biggrin
Heeeeell Yeees!

[Image: fistbump.gif]
11-15-2009 04:18 AM
CrayolaColours Offline
Fanatic

Given 28 thank(s) in 25 post(s)

EPIC BUMP OF EPICNESS

I just watched it. It was awesome.

[Image: True-Blood-Banner-true-blood-2196368-500-82.jpg]
Faith o' Meter
-{|||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||}-
Quote:Riddle me this, riddle me that. Give me a straight answer, you pain in the ass cat.
04-03-2010 03:59 PM
Happy Camper Offline
Fanatic

Given 4 thank(s) in 4 post(s)

It is one of my favorites for sure.

I wish my friend had told me more what it was about though. I was on a medication causing me to hallucinate strange things at the time but I was too embarrassed to tell my doctors or parents. And then I watched Donnie Darko and Frank came up on the screen and I was just like, "OMG. Are you kidding me?"

But no. One of my favorites.

Let's do the time warp again!
04-03-2010 04:25 PM
CrayolaColours Offline
Fanatic

The end was... wow. There were several points in the movie where I just wanted to hug Donnie for being awesome, and... well... not an idiot.

The closest I've come to hallucination is making myself hallucinate (pretty awesome, if you can do it right).

I thought it was so weird that he went all the way back in time just so he could die. Instead of figuring out how to stop the world from ending. But, I think that's why I loved it. This guy didn't much care whether everyone lived or died, because death just wasn't a big deal to him. Plus, it wasn't just another "ZOMG TEEN SAVES DA WORLD" story. I've seen enough of those already.

Faith o' Meter
Quote:Riddle me this, riddle me that. Give me a straight answer, you pain in the ass cat.
04-03-2010 04:30 PM
Happy Camper Offline
Fanatic

CrayolaColours Wrote:The end was... wow. There were several points in the movie where I just wanted to hug Donnie for being awesome, and... well... not an idiot.

The closest I've come to hallucination is making myself hallucinate (pretty awesome, if you can do it right).

I thought it was so weird that he went all the way back in time just so he could die. Instead of figuring out how to stop the world from ending. But, I think that's why I loved it. This guy didn't much care whether everyone lived or died, because death just wasn't a big deal to him. Plus, it wasn't just another "ZOMG TEEN SAVES DA WORLD" story. I've seen enough of those already.

Dying was how he stopped the world from ending. It's strangely Christ-like.

04-03-2010 04:37 PM
CrayolaColours Offline
Fanatic

Wait, what?

Did I miss something, then? (my brain is half off. So I probably missed a lot of the idea)

I was playing around with the idea of his death saving the world, but I liked the "Whatever" attitude that a lot of mental people have. Shrug

Faith o' Meter
04-03-2010 04:40 PM
Happy Camper Offline
Fanatic

CrayolaColours Wrote:Wait, what?

Did I miss something, then? (my brain is half off. So I probably missed a lot of the idea)

I was playing around with the idea of his death saving the world, but I liked the "Whatever" attitude that a lot of mental people have. Shrug

He was supposed to die when the jet plane came through his roof. But he didn't die, he wasn't there. This created a tangent universe where time was running out. The world would effectively end if Donnie didn't use his agency to put the jet engine back in time to kill him and set the time line straight. Did you watch the theatrical cut or the director's cut? I love the theatrical cut but it leaves a lot of book excerpts out that help explain some of the crazy nonsense going on. I don't imagine how the film makes good sense without those book excerpts. Unless you're a nut like me and did all the cult internet stuff that also gave you access to excerpts from the Philosophy of Time Travel.

If Donnie sent the engine back in time but then saved himself. They would effectively have gone into another tangent universe and it just would have looped and the world would have been ending again but he'd relive it.

But if you look at all the crazy shit he does, each thing leads him to that final moment where he has to turn back the clock and send back the jet engine because Gretchen dies.

School Flooding directly leads to him walking Gretchen home.
Setting that freak's house on fire leads to that freak getting arrested and his Mom going out of town, enabling his sister to have the party.
Something about the mailbox and getting the book.
Cellar Door + Party at His House = Gretchen Getting Run Over
Leads to Frank getting Shot
Leads to Donnie setting things straight in the tangent present.
Leads to Donnie having Frank's help to set things straight int he past.

Frank is helping him with this whole thing. That's his purpose.

There's also lots of really nice small moments. There's a scene where they're in the arcade and Donnie is playing some car video game. A red car veers off the road and the screen flashes Game Over I think. Most subtle yet literal foreshadowing ever. Also, there's a guy who pops up with the flight investigators at the beginning, who is also the fat guy who interrupts their kiss, who also is outside in an orange suit monitoring the Halloween party. What's up with that?

Summing up, it's a movie worth watching three hundred times because you pick these things up.

04-04-2010 05:40 PM
CrayolaColours Offline
Fanatic

I get it now.

Yea, I saw the theatrical release, I think. It makes a lot more sense now, thanks.

Damn, this movie is great, and it still isn't the typical "OMG BOY SAVES DA WORLD" thing, because in most movies, the hero lives.

Faith o' Meter
04-05-2010 02:04 AM
psychopath Offline
Fanatic

Given 60 thank(s) in 54 post(s)

Bump because what ever happened to freeman? He was a free man
05-08-2010 01:58 AM
Efs Offline
Fanatic

Given 101 thank(s) in 70 post(s)

I LOVED this movie. It's probably one of or is my favourite movie of all time! But after watching it I randomly started feeling depressed again as my view on life has changed...somehow... :\

And I want to hallucinate NOW.
I've been researching all this stuff Wink

(01-10-2012 02:15 PM)Maelstrom Wrote:  Efs, your nihilism is beautiful.
06-15-2010 10:49 PM
Raikuron Offline
Fanatic

Given 3 thank(s) in 3 post(s)

...You fucking bumped a month old topic...
06-16-2010 03:47 AM
Efs Offline
Fanatic

Given 101 thank(s) in 70 post(s)

Raikuron Wrote:...You fucking bumped a month old topic...

For this forum it isn't bad.

1 month, who cares? I really wanted to post in this thread. What do you want me to do? Make a new Donnie Darko thread?

(01-10-2012 02:15 PM)Maelstrom Wrote:  Efs, your nihilism is beautiful.
06-16-2010 05:02 PM