RIP School Survival Forums
August 2001 - June 2017

The School Survival Forums are permanently retired. If you need help with quitting school, unsupportive parents or anything else, there is a list of resources on the Help Page.

If you want to write about your experiences in school, you can write on our blog.

To everyone who joined these forums at some point, and got discouraged by the negativity and left after a while (or even got literally scared off): I'm sorry.

I wasn't good enough at encouraging people to be kinder, and removing people who refuse to be kind. Encouraging people is hard, and removing people creates conflict, and I hate conflict... so that's why I wasn't better at it.

I was a very, very sensitive teen. The atmosphere of this forum as it is now, if it had existed in 1996, would probably have upset me far more than it would have helped.

I can handle quite a lot of negativity and even abuse now, but that isn't the point. I want to help people. I want to help the people who need it the most, and I want to help people like the 1996 version of me.

I'm still figuring out the best way to do that, but as it is now, these forums are doing more harm than good, and I can't keep running them.

Thank you to the few people who have tried to understand my point of view so far. I really, really appreciate you guys. You are beautiful people.

Everyone else: If after everything I've said so far, you still don't understand my motivations, I think it's unlikely that you will. We're just too different. Maybe someday in the future it might make sense, but until then, there's no point in arguing about it. I don't have the time or the energy for arguing anymore. I will focus my time and energy on people who support me, and those who need help.

-SoulRiser

The forums are mostly read-only and are in a maintenance/testing phase, before being permanently archived. Please use this time to get the contact details of people you'd like to keep in touch with. My contact details are here.

Please do not make a mirror copy of the forums in their current state - things will still change, and some people have requested to be able to edit or delete some of their personal info.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Wtf? Teenage mind and Adult Mind? Facepalm
Elfy Offline
Fanatic

Given 64 thank(s) in 41 post(s)
Wtf? Teenage mind and Adult Mind? Facepalm

Quote:The "teenage mind" is much different from the "adult mind." All teenagers eventually figure this out - that is the point at which they start to become adults. But until a teenager turns on his or her adult brain and begins thinking like an adult, he or she is stuck with a teenage brain. The key concept here is that "being a teenager" is a temporary state meant to be outgrown. In other words, "being a teenager" can be equated to "being a child" at some level. The idea is for a teenager to outgrow teendom and become an adult. Once you understand that, you are on your way. But before that happens your "teenage mind" tends to be extremely non-rational and very reactive. Every single person who starts smoking is doing it because they are using their "teenage mind" to make the decision, rather than an adult mind.

http://www.bygpub.com/books/tg2rw/smoking.htm

Link will take you too article thing that a lot of it is full of bullshit. Apparently once you have an "Adult Mind" you will never make a decision to smoke if you haven't done up to then.

RIP SCHOOL-SURVIVAL 04/07/2019
[Image: tumblr_lpjpoqOyQ91qb8nljo1_500.gif]
06-10-2009 02:37 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Reptorian Offline
Fanatic

Given 18 thank(s) in 13 post(s)
Re: Wtf? Teenage mind and Adult Mind? Facepalm

Apparently that sounds so stupid that there's no word to describe it. The concept behind it can be disproven by teenagers who starts business, teenagers who thinks before actually doing drugs, teenagers who don't try to socialize to other people due to the stupidity of their conversation and adults who uses drugs just because other do drugs and many more things.

ZZZ...
06-10-2009 03:04 AM
Milk2Go Offline
Fanatic

Given 41 thank(s) in 29 post(s)

rage.jpg
06-10-2009 05:02 AM
SoulRiser Offline
Site Founder

Given 1978 thank(s) in 1208 post(s)

The "teenage brain" is basically just a description of an immature person. The part they got wrong is that being immature is not related to age. Many adults still have this "teenage brain" they speak of. Their description is fine but they need to call it something else.

"If you can, help others; if you cannot do that, at least do not harm them." - Dalai Lama
Help & Support - Get help with leaving school, unsupportive parents, and more.
Click here if school makes you depressed or suicidal

Support School Survival on Patreon or Donate Bitcoin Here: 1Q5WCcxWjayniaL92b8GfXBiGdfjmnUNa2
"Believe those who are seeking the truth. Doubt those who find it." - André Paul Guillaume Gide
"The true sign of intelligence is not knowledge but imagination." - Albert Einstein
"I'm pretty sure there's a lot of beauty that can only be found in the mind of a lunatic." - TheCancer
EIPD - Emotionally Incompetent Parent Disorder

Push Button for Collection of Useful Links:
Hidden stuff:
06-10-2009 05:43 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Dark Soul X Offline
Fanatic

Given 7 thank(s) in 6 post(s)

matty555 Wrote:
Quote:The "teenage mind" is much different from the "adult mind." All teenagers eventually figure this out - that is the point at which they start to become adults. But until a teenager turns on his or her adult brain and begins thinking like an adult, he or she is stuck with a teenage brain. The key concept here is that "being a teenager" is a temporary state meant to be outgrown. In other words, "being a teenager" can be equated to "being a child" at some level. The idea is for a teenager to outgrow teendom and become an adult. Once you understand that, you are on your way. But before that happens your "teenage mind" tends to be extremely non-rational and very reactive. Every single person who starts smoking is doing it because they are using their "teenage mind" to make the decision, rather than an adult mind.

Godly Dark Soul X is angered by this ageist bullshit. He wishes to destroy whoever wrote that.

Spambot Kill Counter: 33
Spambot Kill Counter as Spambot Hell's Devil: Countless

Buying a high powered computer: 500 bucks
Getting gift wrap: 10 bucks maybe
Seeing the horror on that special someone's face once they tear off the gift wrap and see a Windows 98: Priceless.

[Image: Spawn_Classic.jpg]

I'll see you in Hell....AAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAAA!!!!
06-13-2009 09:22 AM
LOON_ATTIC Offline
A NERD

Given 60 thank(s) in 49 post(s)

Fucking ageist hypocritical idiots. I hate them.

[Image: glorious666.png]
06-13-2009 10:09 AM
magikarp Offline
Valerie Solanas

Given 68 thank(s) in 47 post(s)

Why is it bullshit other than that you would rather not believe you make shitty decisions?

"Do we treat straight public sex differently than we do gay public sex? Of course. Straight people are so proud of their public sex that they named a cocktail after it."
06-13-2009 11:01 AM
The Apathy Offline
Pariah

Given 6 thank(s) in 4 post(s)

magikarp Wrote:Why is it bullshit other than that you would rather not believe you make shitty decisions?

Because In Fucking Roman Times a 17 year old could be GENERAL of an Army.

Who am I? That is irrelevant.
What am I here for? That will become apparent.
You can call me Apathy!
06-13-2009 02:16 PM
magikarp Offline
Valerie Solanas

I don't know much about the Roman military, but I sort of doubt that that happened often.

Besides, because they didn't have guns, physical strength would have been more important to Roman soldiers than it is to modern soldiers--that could have favoured the relatively young, even if they were less good at making decisions than older men.

"Do we treat straight public sex differently than we do gay public sex? Of course. Straight people are so proud of their public sex that they named a cocktail after it."
06-14-2009 03:11 AM
SoulRiser Offline
Site Founder

Quote:Why is it bullshit other than that you would rather not believe you make shitty decisions?
Because older people are just as capable of making shitty decisions. This article is stereotyping teenagers as the only bad decision makers, when everyone does it. Teenagers and adults are equally capable of making smart decisions too, but very few of either of them do it very often.

Quote:But before that happens your "teenage mind" tends to be extremely non-rational and very reactive.
I think this is what they mean by "teenage mind" - which applies to a large quantity of the people I have met, regardless of age.

Basically the only bullshit part is the first 2 sentences:
Quote:The "teenage mind" is much different from the "adult mind." All teenagers eventually figure this out - that is the point at which they start to become adults.
Not true. Not all people with a "teenage mind" figure this out - lots of people stay immature forever.

The rest is completely accurate if you swap out the "teenage mind" stuff for something more general, like "immature mind". Though I suppose there could be a rational reason for starting to smoke, I honestly can't imagine what it might be.

"If you can, help others; if you cannot do that, at least do not harm them." - Dalai Lama

Support School Survival on Patreon or Donate Bitcoin Here: 1Q5WCcxWjayniaL92b8GfXBiGdfjmnUNa2
"Believe those who are seeking the truth. Doubt those who find it." - André Paul Guillaume Gide
"The true sign of intelligence is not knowledge but imagination." - Albert Einstein
"I'm pretty sure there's a lot of beauty that can only be found in the mind of a lunatic." - TheCancer

Hidden stuff:
06-14-2009 03:51 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Aviator Offline
Pariah

Given 7 thank(s) in 6 post(s)

This site isn't very reputable, I can tell just by it's URL. The author is your general, class A idiot, trying to repeat what he or she heard somewhere else, but doing a poor job of it. That doesn't mean that the information is completely invalid, but it's pretty close.

Scientists have theorized that our brains are still developing, and that the areas relating to decision making are not fully mature yet; which makes us prone to making poorer decisions. That, however, does not mean that it's the norm, by any means, and it really is only a theory. However, it is a widely accepted theory, and the basis for which the juvenile correctional system, which gives young offenders another chance at life, lies on.

It doesn't really mean much though, because there is no way to really measure how mature/immature anyone is based on their brain or age. Everybody is different, everyone has had a different life experiance, and everyone is subjected to different opportunities and pressures. Still developing or not, you are still you, your decisions are your own, and you must live up to those decisions. Responsibility is still responsibility.

Adults still make stupid decisions.

However, you'll see people using this theory as an arugment for all sort of things which usually come to degrade younger people and aid explanations for why they can't do all sorts of things. At which point, you play the "it's only a theory" and the "anyone can make stupid decisions" card, and win the argument.

It is better to ask for forgiveness than for permission. - Neal Vitale
I'd rather laugh with the sinners than cry with the saints. The sinners are much more fun.
Everyone can back up their opinions. Some people just do it a whole lot better than others. - Rebelnerd
Here's to the men and women who did what was considered wrong, in order to do what they knew was right.
'Of course it is happening inside your head, but why on earth should that mean that it is not real?'" - JK Rowling
06-14-2009 05:35 AM
monkey Away
Fanatic

Given 26 thank(s) in 17 post(s)

Because we all know that adults never smoke do drugs or commit crimes. Thats the ageist fail of the week.

Had to move on. Account is dead.
06-14-2009 06:50 AM
magikarp Offline
Valerie Solanas

Aviator Wrote:Everybody is different, everyone has had a different life experiance, and everyone is subjected to different opportunities and pressures.
Yeah, I agree. Although I think that adults, in general, make 'better' decisions than teenagers, that doesn't mean that a particular teenager makes worse decisions than a particular adult--averages sometimes make sense for comparing groups, but they're less useful for comparing individuals. I assume that, having more experiences to draw conclusions from, I'll probably make better decisions in 10 years than I do now. But it would be silly for me to say that in 10 years I will definitely make better decisions than some particular teenager does now.

Quote:Still developing or not, you are still you, your decisions are your own, and you must live up to those decisions.
Exactly. Someone can tell you what to do, but you have to choose to listen. Deciding to let someone else make your decisions is a decision itself, and if you feel you can't trust your judgment, you can hardly be sure that listening to someone else is the best thing to do.

The rest of the book is pretty bad, too.

Like this image: http://www.bygpub.com/books/tg2rw/gif/chap4fig1.gif

It seems like in this case "nice" means "currently popular among businessmen", and that definition ruins the comparison that the author probably intended.

Quote:You generally don’t hear much about this fact, but it is important. You are doing your thing right now. You are meeting people, going out, having fun. That is all fine. You have this vague notion in your head that one day you will get married. That is also fine. But eventually you will find someone who you want to marry, and it will become much less vague. You are going to be deeply in love with this person. You are going to be with this person for the rest of your life. That is a fact.
That is not a fact. The author almost definitely knows that it is not a fact, so I really have no idea why he wrote it.
Quote:You cannot separate sex from babies.
Quote:Can you separate sex and babies? Can you separate sex and love? Can you separate sex and marriage? These are good questions. The answer is "Yes."
Lol.

06-14-2009 01:24 PM
SoulRiser Offline
Site Founder

Quote:Can you separate sex and babies?
OMG PEDO! Laugh

Hidden stuff:
06-16-2009 04:14 AM
Thought Criminal Offline
Frame 313

Given 106 thank(s) in 80 post(s)

yes because everyone knows that once you turn 18 you cross some miracle line where smoking is okay, sex with anyone under 18 is bad even if they are 17 or 16. and you automatically grow into an "adult brain"

what a load of shit.
06-16-2009 05:37 AM
John Tuttle Offline
Fanatic

Given 5 thank(s) in 5 post(s)

True, most teenagers in my school are immature idiots, but, then again, so are many adults. I think it has more to do with our society that with "teenage" and "adult" minds.

[Image: funny-gifs-wax-on-wax-owl.gif]
06-17-2009 02:52 PM
LOON_ATTIC Offline
A NERD

Given 60 thank(s) in 49 post(s)

I agree, anyone can do wrong decisions, anyone can be stupid. It's not just age that separates people.
Being young doesn't make people stupid, it's how they were born and what they've gone through. With experience, in time, people can recognize their weak points and work on them, and improve.

Aviator Wrote:This site isn't very reputable, I can tell just by it's URL. The author is your general, class A idiot, trying to repeat what he or she heard somewhere else, but doing a poor job of it. That doesn't mean that the information is completely invalid, but it's pretty close.

Scientists have theorized that our brains are still developing, and that the areas relating to decision making are not fully mature yet; which makes us prone to making poorer decisions. That, however, does not mean that it's the norm, by any means, and it really is only a theory. However, it is a widely accepted theory, and the basis for which the juvenile correctional system, which gives young offenders another chance at life, lies on.

It doesn't really mean much though, because there is no way to really measure how mature/immature anyone is based on their brain or age. Everybody is different, everyone has had a different life experiance, and everyone is subjected to different opportunities and pressures. Still developing or not, you are still you, your decisions are your own, and you must live up to those decisions. Responsibility is still responsibility.

Adults still make stupid decisions.

However, you'll see people using this theory as an arugment for all sort of things which usually come to degrade younger people and aid explanations for why they can't do all sorts of things. At which point, you play the "it's only a theory" and the "anyone can make stupid decisions" card, and win the argument.

I agree with you, and not all teenagers dress the same nor do all adults.

[Image: glorious666.png]
06-26-2009 12:57 PM

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Night has leveled up to ADULT Night 14 2,750 07-14-2014 12:03 AM
Last Post: Night
  Adult? What's that? brainiac3397 15 2,940 01-06-2014 09:38 AM
Last Post: xcriteria
  Adult ..V.. 20 5,740 05-11-2013 12:14 AM
Last Post: Smudge
  Is being an adult fun? ..V.. 13 6,731 05-08-2013 06:50 AM