RIP School Survival Forums
August 2001 - June 2017

The School Survival Forums are permanently retired. If you need help with quitting school, unsupportive parents or anything else, there is a list of resources on the Help Page.

If you want to write about your experiences in school, you can write on our blog.

To everyone who joined these forums at some point, and got discouraged by the negativity and left after a while (or even got literally scared off): I'm sorry.

I wasn't good enough at encouraging people to be kinder, and removing people who refuse to be kind. Encouraging people is hard, and removing people creates conflict, and I hate conflict... so that's why I wasn't better at it.

I was a very, very sensitive teen. The atmosphere of this forum as it is now, if it had existed in 1996, would probably have upset me far more than it would have helped.

I can handle quite a lot of negativity and even abuse now, but that isn't the point. I want to help people. I want to help the people who need it the most, and I want to help people like the 1996 version of me.

I'm still figuring out the best way to do that, but as it is now, these forums are doing more harm than good, and I can't keep running them.

Thank you to the few people who have tried to understand my point of view so far. I really, really appreciate you guys. You are beautiful people.

Everyone else: If after everything I've said so far, you still don't understand my motivations, I think it's unlikely that you will. We're just too different. Maybe someday in the future it might make sense, but until then, there's no point in arguing about it. I don't have the time or the energy for arguing anymore. I will focus my time and energy on people who support me, and those who need help.

-SoulRiser

The forums are mostly read-only and are in a maintenance/testing phase, before being permanently archived. Please use this time to get the contact details of people you'd like to keep in touch with. My contact details are here.

Please do not make a mirror copy of the forums in their current state - things will still change, and some people have requested to be able to edit or delete some of their personal info.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Video games classes
Reptorian Offline
Fanatic

Given 18 thank(s) in 13 post(s)
Video games classes

I know this idea may sound stupid to some of you, but students actually remembers an whole lot more playing video games than dealing with textbooks and especially games that are based on real stuff will give them an huge insight on what they are studying and those who have teacher allowing the students to play video games in their class actually score higher on the test so as an result less people complain while they are still learning above the regular student as shown as some few researches that have been done on the US, UK and few other countries that does this. Video games also improve hand-eye coordination when the controller does not deform the hand while the eye is focusing on an certain point and certain games may also teach an student how to efficiently save time such as Gran Turismo which is involved using cornering skills that may be applied into an whole lot of situation dealing with the real world such as walking from building to building into the shortest distance you can at that moment. There may be specific disadvantages from certain students that may get addicted to video games long enough to actually imitate stupid stunt such as shooting or street racing if they aren't learning properly, but also may have an impact on the observing ability of one student. The last thing about the video game I will mention is that it helps disabled people learn life skills as shown in ScienceDaily right in this link below
---
http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/20 ... 191103.htm

ZZZ...
06-10-2009 10:56 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Jesusaurisrex Offline
Fanatic

Given 19 thank(s) in 15 post(s)
Re: Video games classes

fun as it sounds, it makes it VERY easy to brainwash you. Imagine if everyone put the same attention that they do to video games that they do to lectures. *shutters*

guaranteed they would ruin all progress we have achieved. even the subliminal messages, like if you break a rule you have to start over at the beginning of the game. bad bad news. I say NO

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qmXMA34CeoQ
06-19-2009 12:44 PM
Reptorian Offline
Fanatic

Jesusaurisrex Wrote:fun as it sounds, it makes it VERY easy to brainwash you. Imagine if everyone put the same attention that they do to video games that they do to lectures. *shutters*NO

You're saying if we go into an group that is involved using an certain objects while the teacher lectures makes you brainwashed. Even though with video game classes, that doesn't guaranteed that school is good for you and school is good for learning and video game classes with social studies lesson along with other studies involving around them may actually helps them learn of the stuff in the real world to some people though and teenagers tend to remember what they play rather than the lessons in high school as it seems to be observed into many people just like you because they are visual learner. There could be more possible argument against the society ideas that video games kills brain-cell while it already has been proven that teenagers are more likely to learn from what they see for themselves while using what they have learning for an good purposes will enable them to think higher than the usual public schooled student and school need to be an slight more fun so that the education level will increase rather than boring textbooks will help the student learn idea. By disproving the ideas of the society at the moment, the more people will find the flaws of what they are saying for themselves and what have they gone through. There are some people who unschooled their son/daughter for this purposes and their philosophical idea that an fun,educative life can allow them to learn beyond an average people going to school reading from textbooks not experiencing things. Think of what you have experienced in the past and learn an important life in the past, you shall acknowledge that sometimes fun and education at the same time may improve quality of education.

Jesusaurisrex Wrote:guaranteed they would ruin all progress we have achieved. even the subliminal messages, like if you break a rule you have to start over at the beginning of the game. bad bad news. I say NO

That would depends on the teacher style of teaching and getting them to break the rules while starting over at the beginning of the game can make the student less motivated to have fun in their life while being less motivated at school proving our ideas that fun should be involved in children life and it may improve learning ability. By doing this idea, we could study the results of the students an lot more while giving us advantages. There might be some few subliminal messages and there will be sentences that support the public school ideas and anti-school ideas. A teacher with knowledge of students while knowing how the video game may impacts on the student learning can be able to properly teach them creativity such as regular to concept art to designing and math such as the physic applied in real life cars and the simulation of real life car so that they may be able to learn what is actually necessary in the real world, thus as an result they are actually are learning what is needed with an whole lot less stress and sometimes there are video games that can be related to real life science which usually are the simulation type which they may be able to learn science easier if the teacher act in the way where they try individual learning and video game may somehow reveal the true learning style of student based from the observation in the past.

ZZZ...
06-20-2009 06:26 AM
xcriteria Offline
Fanatic

Given 930 thank(s) in 612 post(s)

Yeah, video games can provide a lot of insight into making learning more interesting. A big motivational aspect of games is that they are interactive. They give you lots of goals and feedback, and have progressive levels of challenge. In school, you usually have to work at whatever pace your class is working at.

I'm working on designing a system for learning with some of these properties, basically online classes that are self-initiated and adapt to learner ability and interests. It's a lot of work!

I'll post a prototype when it's further along.
06-20-2009 03:09 PM
Reptorian Offline
Fanatic

May I see the prototype?

ZZZ...
06-22-2009 11:39 AM
xcriteria Offline
Fanatic

Yes, once there's something to see. Smile

At this point, it's mostly a video player. The idea is to add interactivity, though...

I'm just working with one other person on the programming and it's taking time to sort out various things. But I'll definitely share it with SS once we get a little further along. Maybe in a few weeks or a month.

I'll also post some about progress before then... in the meantime, and ideas on what would make a great learning web site are welcome. So far, a big component will be video lectures... and some kind of profile to keep track of what each learner wants to learn and what they have learned. And both an individual mode and a social network aspect.
06-23-2009 02:38 PM
Jesusaurisrex Offline
Fanatic

what language you programing in?

StylizedCarfan1 Wrote:
Jesusaurisrex Wrote:fun as it sounds, it makes it VERY easy to brainwash you. Imagine if everyone put the same attention that they do to video games that they do to lectures. *shutters*NO

You're saying if we go into an group that is involved using an certain objects while the teacher lectures makes you brainwashed. Even though with video game classes, that doesn't guaranteed that school is good for you and school is good for learning and video game classes with social studies lesson along with other studies involving around them may actually helps them learn of the stuff in the real world to some people though and teenagers tend to remember what they play rather than the lessons in high school as it seems to be observed into many people just like you because they are visual learner. There could be more possible argument against the society ideas that video games kills brain-cell while it already has been proven that teenagers are more likely to learn from what they see for themselves while using what they have learning for an good purposes will enable them to think higher than the usual public schooled student and school need to be an slight more fun so that the education level will increase rather than boring textbooks will help the student learn idea. By disproving the ideas of the society at the moment, the more people will find the flaws of what they are saying for themselves and what have they gone through. There are some people who unschooled their son/daughter for this purposes and their philosophical idea that an fun,educative life can allow them to learn beyond an average people going to school reading from textbooks not experiencing things. Think of what you have experienced in the past and learn an important life in the past, you shall acknowledge that sometimes fun and education at the same time may improve quality of education.

Jesusaurisrex Wrote:guaranteed they would ruin all progress we have achieved. even the subliminal messages, like if you break a rule you have to start over at the beginning of the game. bad bad news. I say NO

That would depends on the teacher style of teaching and getting them to break the rules while starting over at the beginning of the game can make the student less motivated to have fun in their life while being less motivated at school proving our ideas that fun should be involved in children life and it may improve learning ability. By doing this idea, we could study the results of the students an lot more while giving us advantages. There might be some few subliminal messages and there will be sentences that support the public school ideas and anti-school ideas. A teacher with knowledge of students while knowing how the video game may impacts on the student learning can be able to properly teach them creativity such as regular to concept art to designing and math such as the physic applied in real life cars and the simulation of real life car so that they may be able to learn what is actually necessary in the real world, thus as an result they are actually are learning what is needed with an whole lot less stress and sometimes there are video games that can be related to real life science which usually are the simulation type which they may be able to learn science easier if the teacher act in the way where they try individual learning and video game may somehow reveal the true learning style of student based from the observation in the past.

I hate to say it but someone has to;
why should we support something that will make the very force we are trying to stop? this technology, if used correctly, could potentially strengthen support for a corrupt system.

not only that, but do you really thing people will go for the games? what would make an educational game any better than a educational film or a text book? even if people remember things better in games, they probably wont do so well if they never wanted to play in the first place. think of it like this, you just watched the new transformers movie. the next week, you watch a video about physics. which one will you remember? and do you know why no people have released educational games? because they don't SELL. the whole point of games is to place you in an alternate reality in which you are in control of some thing or another that entertains you. this entertainment in games gereraly is in the form of power, where you have control and influence over a thing or things in the game. now you take an educational game. you cant be in control (unless mabey the entire education system is redone) because they want you moving at THEIR pace not yours. the game would more than likely not be entertaining either, not sure about you but solving math problems so I can walk across a bridge is not what i call "fun". Besides, in elementary school my school let us play these stupid "educational" games and it failed in every way. no one cared or remembered anything, they just ended up frustrated and "cheated" by going online and finding all the answers to problems.

Im more concerned about what the education system with do in reaction to technolagys that relesed I-doser (fun stuff, but the fact that it works scares the hell out of me) imagine if they invested in that shit. we are fucked if they start teaching us with brainual waves. like, we are SOOOOO fucked. any individualism, freedoms, and rights fly right out the door. talk about brain scramble.

06-23-2009 05:30 PM
xcriteria Offline
Fanatic

PHP, on Drupal.
06-24-2009 02:48 PM
Reptorian Offline
Fanatic

I hate to say it but someone has to;
why should we support something that will make the very force we are trying to stop? this technology, if used correctly, could potentially strengthen support for a corrupt system.

-At the same time, it could also weaken support for an corrupt system since using video game classes would create some students to do stupidity like those who managed to street race far better than drunk adults which as an result creates an message that enforcing people to do something may create stupidity as observed in this case and USA comparison with other country. The technology won't be ever used 100 percent correctly as there are flaws with the connection of the technology we use nowaday and the human brain.

Nothing can be used for strengthen the system to the point where it is unstoppable unless there are chemicals involved that gets an student to follow an certain behavior such as the drugs they use nowaday to put on rebellious teenagers.

not only that, but do you really thing people will go for the games?

There are loads of people going for games for many purposes which includes learning as part of the purposes to using it. Game helps education to some level if used correctly, but it may also increase corruption to some level if used excessively. There must be an balance.

what would make an educational game any better than a educational film or a text book?

-Any games can be educational if you just think through the games long enough to get it to connect to the real world. One example simulator such as NoLimits, Gran Turismo or games that are related to real life physic such as Splinter Cell, then there are connection to the real world that you can make with video games while studying the possible effects of when an object is moving or how do they relates to each other and how the possible forces may affect something. If you were to design something using the NoLimits simulation, it remotely resembles real life physic in 90 percents of the area thus as an results you may learn how weight affects the time of the coaster and imagine the possible friction when flaws are observed in NoLimits simulation compared to the video of real life coaster. The fact that humans are focused so much during playing video games, they may get distracted while attempting to learn the basic part of it. From here, the hypothesis is if the basic part is correctly defined, then the human players may be able to learn something useful for the real world from any area such as concept designing to physics and math.

Textbook are an huge disadvantages since they are less interactive while the school-aged students are more of an visual learner as observed in experiments thus they learn better if they see shapes than text while interacting with it. Same goes with film, but film do got more limited interactivity.

-----
even if people remember things better in games, they probably wont do so well if they never wanted to play in the first place.

-Desires are an factor that increases the possibility of an person learning and may remember it fine for more than 10 years without too much problem. No doubt about what you said has about 85/40 chances of being true.

think of it like this, you just watched the new transformers movie. the next week, you watch a video about physics. which one will you remember?

-I tend to remember which I desire for more along with interactivity involved, so physic video it is. I only know very few part of the movie I have watched.

and do you know why no people have released educational games? because they don't SELL.

-Educational games do sell, but not those kinds that you see addition/substraction and all of those crap. Just those that actually are based on real world activity may actually educates you to an certain level where you can go beyond public school if you look deeply enough. As I have said before, any games can be educational if you look long enough to allow it to connect to the real world.

the whole point of games is to place you in an alternate reality in which you are in control of some thing or another that entertains you.

-Thus interactivity while huge amount of focus is involved.

you cant be in control (unless mabey the entire education system is redone) because they want you moving at THEIR pace not yours.

-There are some level of control you have since the education system didn't have forced everyone to stay in school at all times and all day. But yes, there is huge control of moving people at an their paces which doesn't work at all.

the game would more than likely not be entertaining either, not sure about you but solving math problems so I can walk across a bridge is not what i call "fun"

-It was fun in the 3rd grade since I was actually learning an lot. Didn't give any damn about doing math homework in the 5th grade.

. Besides, in elementary school my school let us play these stupid "educational" games and it failed in every way. no one cared or remembered anything, they just ended up frustrated and "cheated" by going online and finding all the answers to problems.

-Yes, these stupid educational games are flawed to the point where people don't learn and forcing people to do so is affecting their learning rates while their desires to do so are low and the interactivity to the real world are very much low. Not the subjects itself, just the way it works.

Im more concerned about what the education system with do in reaction to technolagys that relesed I-doser (fun stuff, but the fact that it works scares the hell out of me) imagine if they invested in that shit. we are fucked if they start teaching us with brainual waves. like, we are SOOOOO fucked. any individualism, freedoms, and rights fly right out the door. talk about brain scramble.

-Good point.That isn't gonna work for everybody.

ZZZ...
06-27-2009 07:33 AM
Jesusaurisrex Offline
Fanatic

dude I love arguing with you and I have to say, your good. you just won the argument. *claps for StylizedCarfan1*
I still don't like the idea of it, but I guess its better than what they are doing in school right now. Im going to keep a sharp eye on this.

06-29-2009 07:20 AM
Reptorian Offline
Fanatic

I love arguing with you too since you provide me with questions so that I can get insight of ideas and learn at the same time. Smile

ZZZ...
06-29-2009 11:09 AM

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  The Higher Education of Video Games brainiac3397 4 1,428 06-20-2014 07:30 PM
Last Post: scorchededge243
  Unschooling and video games dark_castle 48 12,927 05-20-2011 10:09 AM
Last Post: Phrozen_Soul