RIP School Survival Forums
August 2001 - June 2017

The School Survival Forums are permanently retired. If you need help with quitting school, unsupportive parents or anything else, there is a list of resources on the Help Page.

If you want to write about your experiences in school, you can write on our blog.

To everyone who joined these forums at some point, and got discouraged by the negativity and left after a while (or even got literally scared off): I'm sorry.

I wasn't good enough at encouraging people to be kinder, and removing people who refuse to be kind. Encouraging people is hard, and removing people creates conflict, and I hate conflict... so that's why I wasn't better at it.

I was a very, very sensitive teen. The atmosphere of this forum as it is now, if it had existed in 1996, would probably have upset me far more than it would have helped.

I can handle quite a lot of negativity and even abuse now, but that isn't the point. I want to help people. I want to help the people who need it the most, and I want to help people like the 1996 version of me.

I'm still figuring out the best way to do that, but as it is now, these forums are doing more harm than good, and I can't keep running them.

Thank you to the few people who have tried to understand my point of view so far. I really, really appreciate you guys. You are beautiful people.

Everyone else: If after everything I've said so far, you still don't understand my motivations, I think it's unlikely that you will. We're just too different. Maybe someday in the future it might make sense, but until then, there's no point in arguing about it. I don't have the time or the energy for arguing anymore. I will focus my time and energy on people who support me, and those who need help.

-SoulRiser

The forums are mostly read-only and are in a maintenance/testing phase, before being permanently archived. Please use this time to get the contact details of people you'd like to keep in touch with. My contact details are here.

Please do not make a mirror copy of the forums in their current state - things will still change, and some people have requested to be able to edit or delete some of their personal info.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Pirate Bay Judgement Day: The Verdict is IN
HeartofShadows Offline
Fanatic

Given 80 thank(s) in 73 post(s)
Pirate Bay Judgement Day: The Verdict is IN

Sorry if old news is old news..

http://www.cyberpunkreview.com/news-as- ... ict-is-in/

Speaking of which obama is Filling Administration with RIAA Insiders..

http://blog.wired.com/27bstroke6/2009/0 ... -fill.html

I like how even their judge was with the pro copy right groups.

[Image: WARZONES_subs_hostility.png]
image hosting jpg
04-24-2009 06:55 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
True Strasserist Offline
Banned

Given 31 thank(s) in 11 post(s)
Re: Pirate Bay Judgement Day: The Verdict is IN

http://blog.wired.com/.shared/image.html..._2_2_2.jpg
ironic, huh

[Image: AQUoEoe.jpg] [Image: L4WpLmZ.png]

School and the Allegory of the Cave Shooter | Username has no girlfriend! | Moon man, Moon man, can't you see?
04-24-2009 08:29 PM
Sunbourn Offline
Proud crazy cat man

Given 289 thank(s) in 192 post(s)

Lulz, it's going to get ruled invalid. Biggrin Judge is a pro copyright moron.

Who am I? Who are YOU?
04-25-2009 02:21 AM
Vatman Offline
Foreplay in Ink

Given 98 thank(s) in 67 post(s)

This is a sad day for me, we have come to the point where they will throw a man in jail for listening to music without paying for it.

Some cupid kills with arrows, some with traps.
04-30-2009 12:20 PM
LOON_ATTIC Offline
A NERD

Given 60 thank(s) in 49 post(s)

Sucks man... How I hate big corporations.

[Image: glorious666.png]
05-09-2009 11:19 AM
Trar Away
R.I.P.

Given 189 thank(s) in 125 post(s)

The only reason I pirate games are because I am too poor to go out and buy them, and that my parents are dipshits that are rolling in money but say we can't get a 20 dollar game because they need to pay bills and rent and air taxes and goddammit.
05-09-2009 11:28 AM
HeartofShadows Offline
Fanatic

Trar Wrote:The only reason I pirate games are because I am too poor to go out and buy them, and that my parents are dipshits that are rolling in money but say we can't get a 20 dollar game because they need to pay bills and rent and air taxes and goddammit.

I don't ever to much feel bad about ripping off corporations who sell overpriced shitty merchandise and don't give a shit about anybody or anything besides making money.

Man when I bootleg my games I sometimes feel like I'm taking a dump on microsoft's face and oh god I love that feeling. Laugh

image hosting jpg
05-09-2009 09:24 PM
John Tuttle Offline
Fanatic

Given 5 thank(s) in 5 post(s)

slAcker Wrote:Sucks man... How I hate big corporations.
Because they don't like people stealing their stuff? Believe it or not, it costs money to make stuff. For example, a TV show. TV shows are expensive; you need actors, producers, a set, all the techies, distribution, advertising, etc. By torrenting them, you are in essence hurting them. Just because something is on the internet doesn't mean it is everyone's property. Eventually, if everyone downloaded tv shows illegally, there wouldn't be any left, meaning that you guys are incredibly short-sited. And don't get me started on, "well with the internet anyone can create their own show" because while that is true, it is also true that they suck.

[Image: funny-gifs-wax-on-wax-owl.gif]
06-15-2009 09:17 AM
John Tuttle Offline
Fanatic

Heart of Shadows Wrote:Man when I bootleg my games I sometimes feel like I'm taking a dump on microsoft's face and oh god I love that feeling. Laugh

I'm sure the employee who helped make that game, spending months of his life programming every little detail, feels the same way. Especially when he gets fired because his company is losing money due to illegal downloads.

Man when I steal cars from dealers I sometimes feel like I'm taking a dumps on Honda's face and oh god I love that feeling.

06-15-2009 09:19 AM
HeartofShadows Offline
Fanatic

Man who let the moral fag in here..

Microsoft makes their money not even from their games but from rrod repairs which is their fault because of their bullshit system that they didn't even bother making sure was in great order(Hell the walmart I was working at today had their xbox360 3 ring and all they could do was stand there fabbergasted).

Before you tell me that crap about paying for *Quality* Products lets make sure that the products are actually not pieces of crap first shall we.. I steal from those fuckers and I'm glad I steal from them.

image hosting jpg
06-15-2009 12:37 PM
Sunbourn Offline
Proud crazy cat man

OMG PIRACY IS EVIL

Who am I? Who are YOU?
06-15-2009 12:42 PM
HeartofShadows Offline
Fanatic

Oh yeah and my first xbox360 I spent 150 dollars on fucked up thanks to microsofts bullshit.

2 ring hardware failure which had the system thinking it was overheating and it would shut off..

image hosting jpg
06-15-2009 12:55 PM
John Tuttle Offline
Fanatic

Heart of Shadows Wrote:Oh yeah and my first xbox360 I spent 150 dollars on fucked up thanks to microsofts bullshit.

2 ring hardware failure which had the system thinking it was overheating and it would shut off..

That doesn't mean you can steal games (most of which aren't even made by Microsoft). GM made plenty of shitty cars, but I'm not going to steal them. Anyways, you bought that xBox. It's not like the red ring was a unheard of problem. You took the risk of buying it cause you can't live without games, so you have to live with the results.

06-16-2009 01:26 AM
HeartofShadows Offline
Fanatic

Your even siding with microsoft even with the RROD?!

Man fuck this shit..

You buy your crap and I'll steal mine happy? Smile

image hosting jpg
06-16-2009 01:55 AM
Sunbourn Offline
Proud crazy cat man

Stealing is physically removing something. With piracy you're just making a copy, so stop calling it stealing. It's not.

Most of the people who pirate stuff wouldn't even buy it anyway, and some people buy BECAUSE they tried it first. Pretty hard to believe if you've been brainwashed by the RIAA like many people have though.

Who am I? Who are YOU?
06-16-2009 02:40 AM
SoulRiser Offline
Site Founder

Given 1978 thank(s) in 1208 post(s)

Quote:Stealing is physically removing something. With piracy you're just making a copy, so stop calling it stealing. It's not.

Most of the people who pirate stuff wouldn't even buy it anyway, and some people buy BECAUSE they tried it first. Pretty hard to believe if you've been brainwashed by the RIAA like many people have though.
This. Emphasis mine.

Looks like their lovely "you wouldn't steal a car" ad is working very nicely to confuse "copying" and "stealing". Just like they intended. Don't fall for their lies. They'd tell you anything to make you feel guilty for sharing instead of paying THEM. If their "stealing" logic won over everyone in the world, renting and borrowing cars would be illegal (Buy your own car, you good for nothing pirate! Because we get more money that way!). Not to mention the buying and selling of second hand goods. The original makers get NOTHING out of that either. But you don't see people going around calling that stealing.

"If you can, help others; if you cannot do that, at least do not harm them." - Dalai Lama
Help & Support - Get help with leaving school, unsupportive parents, and more.
Click here if school makes you depressed or suicidal

Support School Survival on Patreon or Donate Bitcoin Here: 1Q5WCcxWjayniaL92b8GfXBiGdfjmnUNa2
"Believe those who are seeking the truth. Doubt those who find it." - André Paul Guillaume Gide
"The true sign of intelligence is not knowledge but imagination." - Albert Einstein
"I'm pretty sure there's a lot of beauty that can only be found in the mind of a lunatic." - TheCancer
EIPD - Emotionally Incompetent Parent Disorder

Push Button for Collection of Useful Links:
Hidden stuff:
06-16-2009 04:57 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
SoulRiser Offline
Site Founder

Just thought of something else... the reason this is an issue is 'cause you can't make copies of physical things like you can with computer data.

How 'bout this. Farmer makes and sells tomatoes. Someone buys one of the tomatoes and plants the seeds. This person then grows and sells tomatoes. The farmer finds out and sues the person because he's hurting his profits, and should have gone and bought the original seeds in a shop and gotten a farmer permit and whatever all else like a decent farmer would do.

I don't see that happening.

Why is it that people are trying to degrade computers so that they function more like things in the physical world? All this copy protection and rootkits and other bullshit is happening because people don't have the brains to figure out how to take ADVANTAGE of this ability to infinitely clone something. So they want to hold it back so that they can sell it in countable amounts like normal, physical objects.

I mean fuck, imagine if we COULD make infinite copies of food and cars. There'd be no space to store all that stuff. But with computers there is almost infinite space. So there's really no logical reason to try to prevent copying, other than the fact that people are too lame to deal with this wonderful ability.

"If you can, help others; if you cannot do that, at least do not harm them." - Dalai Lama

Support School Survival on Patreon or Donate Bitcoin Here: 1Q5WCcxWjayniaL92b8GfXBiGdfjmnUNa2
"Believe those who are seeking the truth. Doubt those who find it." - André Paul Guillaume Gide
"The true sign of intelligence is not knowledge but imagination." - Albert Einstein
"I'm pretty sure there's a lot of beauty that can only be found in the mind of a lunatic." - TheCancer

Hidden stuff:
06-16-2009 05:08 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Thought Criminal Offline
Frame 313

Given 106 thank(s) in 80 post(s)

this is fucking pathetic. Noo they may have won this battle, but there is no way in hell they are going to win the war.
06-16-2009 05:25 AM
NowhereWoman Offline
Pariah

Given 11 thank(s) in 8 post(s)

The day they stop making us fork over 20 dollars apiece for CDs, I'll buy them. I mean, I like having the CD better than just files. But for now, it's not worth it, and the library and internet have all I need.
And hey, I'm mostly into the Beatles, and they're richer than God, and so are the record companies, I mean, hey...they sell beatles records...
So I may feel a tad guilty, but I don't think it's a felony.

An it Harm None, Do What Ye Will
An it Harm, Do Only What Ye Must

Lighten up! This life was made for experimenting, making mistakes, falling on our faces, and standing up to do it all over again.
Live for Learning.

Carla Franklin may be a whore. She may be a wonderful, kind, moral woman. Seeing as I don't know her personally, I cannot know for sure. However, I find her actions (suing Google, requesting the personal info of her critics, getting angry over random internet idiocy that she should ignore and be bigger than, trying to get this site in trouble because of a few users' commentary on the situation, etc.) pretty ridiculous and unwarranted. If she didn't want people to to be talking about/judging her, well 1. that's impossible, she's a human, and 2. she shouldn't have been a model or agreed to be on film. AND 3. she DEFINITELY shouldn't have sued Google and made all this fuss over a few random idiots whom she probably won't ever know expressing their opinion. Mmkay? MMKAY.
06-17-2009 10:56 AM
Thought Criminal Offline
Frame 313

I have no remorse.
I only buy from small time artists like evestus and dr.steel. those people need the money to literally put food on the table. if you really want to support your favorite band buy their shirts and stuff because all the profit goes directly to the band without the record company getting a cut.
06-17-2009 12:58 PM
John Tuttle Offline
Fanatic

True, I guess I can see your points about how it is copied, not stolen. I stand corrected.

06-17-2009 02:55 PM
SoulRiser Offline
Site Founder

Quote:if you really want to support your favorite band buy their shirts and stuff because all the profit goes directly to the band without the record company getting a cut.
This.

It's a shame the game companies don't have "other stuff" they sell besides the games most of the time.

Publishers and record companies take at least 70% of all profits, this goes for games and music.

Hidden stuff:
06-18-2009 04:20 AM
Thought Criminal Offline
Frame 313

franchises like halo, and fallout could make a killing selling products.
06-18-2009 12:42 PM
LOON_ATTIC Offline
A NERD

ESRB's a big reason for video game piracy on many people.

06-27-2009 10:48 AM
Thought Criminal Offline
Frame 313

that is a big part. it used to be my parents would only let me buy games for my age limit. so I would just pirate the game and they would have no earthly clue (my mom actually watched me play grand theft auto for about 5 mins once and she said it looked like the game was fun)
but now that my parents don't care what I buy it's still annoying to go into best buy or whatever and not be able to get an M rated game because of the policy. another thing I hate about the esrb is the M and AO ratings
[Image: Signature-ESRBRatings.png]
I don't know if you can see it in the picture or not but the only difference is M is for 17+ and AO is 18+ it's fucking retarded all it dose is limit the amount of stuff a game designer can do since no store will sell AO games. its lunacy.
anyway I don't even bother buying games anymore unless they really deserve it (fallout3 is a good example of this) it just isn't worth my time.
06-27-2009 10:58 AM
HeartofShadows Offline
Fanatic

thought criminal Wrote:that is a big part. it used to be my parents would only let me buy games for my age limit. so I would just pirate the game and they would have no earthly clue (my mom actually watched me play grand theft auto for about 5 mins once and she said it looked like the game was fun)
but now that my parents don't care what I buy it's still annoying to go into best buy or whatever and not be able to get an M rated game because of the policy. another thing I hate about the esrb is the M and AO ratings
I don't know if you can see it in the picture or not but the only difference is M is for 17+ and AO is 18+ it's fucking retarded all it dose is limit the amount of stuff a game designer can do since no store will sell AO games. its lunacy.
anyway I don't even bother buying games anymore unless they really deserve it (fallout3 is a good example of this) it just isn't worth my time.

Reminds me of when I was reading a gamer magazine at work and it talked of kojima canceling a war in iraq game because butthurt people were offended by it.

Just another example of bullshit asswipes that stifle game companies creativity. Noo

image hosting jpg
06-27-2009 02:25 PM
Pieman Offline
Pie Deity

Given 28 thank(s) in 23 post(s)

thought criminal Wrote:that is a big part. it used to be my parents would only let me buy games for my age limit. so I would just pirate the game and they would have no earthly clue (my mom actually watched me play grand theft auto for about 5 mins once and she said it looked like the game was fun)

Exactly. You're not even allowed to get an M game without a parent/guardian's consent. The clerk always advises why the game is rated that. So it really depends on how lenient your parent/guardian is. Otherwise we HAVE to resort to piracy for our entertainment or other wise wait until we're older. And AO games aren't even in mainstream stores anymore. You gotta go to extra lengths if you want those.

" I never knew until that moment how bad it could hurt to lose something you never really had. " ~From the television show The Wonder Years
06-27-2009 02:41 PM
Thought Criminal Offline
Frame 313

well no game developer makes AO they just tone down the game so it gets an M rating.
06-27-2009 11:52 PM
LOON_ATTIC Offline
A NERD

[Image: moron.jpg]

06-28-2009 01:48 PM

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Pirate Bay founders lose appeal HeartofShadows 5 2,437 11-28-2010 11:53 AM
Last Post: AWOL
  Jury reaches verdict in BART police shooting caught on cell. HeartofShadows 8 2,995 07-11-2010 02:00 PM
Last Post: Thought Criminal
  Surveillance state near, warns Australian Pirate Party HeartofShadows 1 1,435 06-19-2010 02:10 AM
Last Post: psychopath