RIP School Survival Forums
August 2001 - June 2017

The School Survival Forums are permanently retired. If you need help with quitting school, unsupportive parents or anything else, there is a list of resources on the Help Page.

If you want to write about your experiences in school, you can write on our blog.

To everyone who joined these forums at some point, and got discouraged by the negativity and left after a while (or even got literally scared off): I'm sorry.

I wasn't good enough at encouraging people to be kinder, and removing people who refuse to be kind. Encouraging people is hard, and removing people creates conflict, and I hate conflict... so that's why I wasn't better at it.

I was a very, very sensitive teen. The atmosphere of this forum as it is now, if it had existed in 1996, would probably have upset me far more than it would have helped.

I can handle quite a lot of negativity and even abuse now, but that isn't the point. I want to help people. I want to help the people who need it the most, and I want to help people like the 1996 version of me.

I'm still figuring out the best way to do that, but as it is now, these forums are doing more harm than good, and I can't keep running them.

Thank you to the few people who have tried to understand my point of view so far. I really, really appreciate you guys. You are beautiful people.

Everyone else: If after everything I've said so far, you still don't understand my motivations, I think it's unlikely that you will. We're just too different. Maybe someday in the future it might make sense, but until then, there's no point in arguing about it. I don't have the time or the energy for arguing anymore. I will focus my time and energy on people who support me, and those who need help.

-SoulRiser

The forums are mostly read-only and are in a maintenance/testing phase, before being permanently archived. Please use this time to get the contact details of people you'd like to keep in touch with. My contact details are here.

Please do not make a mirror copy of the forums in their current state - things will still change, and some people have requested to be able to edit or delete some of their personal info.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
No pro-schooler arguing in the forums after we beat Killjoy?
Fire Elf Offline
Fanatic

Given 30 thank(s) in 25 post(s)
Re: No pro-schooler arguing in the forums after we beat Killjoy?

wow, some troll that guy turned out to be. One post and he leaves.

The only good signature is a dead signature.
07-10-2009 10:09 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Aviator Offline
Pariah

Given 7 thank(s) in 6 post(s)

Guys, there are a few problems with this plan of yours to invite pro-schoolers here.

We, as a community, have this really bad problem where we tend to rip people who don't agree with us to shreds with personal attacks. Calling them trolls isn't a good way to start. Also, it's kinda overwhelming for them to start debating and then get piled on by like 10 people, 6 of which think it's cool just to post and hurt their feelings for the lulz.

I think, that if we're going to facilitate debates, we ought to have a designated forum, available to a specific group of our members, who are mature enough to debate well; and open to any pro-schoolers who wish to debate with us. That way, the debates are kept in one area, are controlled, and the debaters are not overwhelmed.

Either way, I think we're going about it wrong. While I encourage and look forward to debate as much as the next person, I don't think we're going to get many people willing to debate here in the current state.

It is better to ask for forgiveness than for permission. - Neal Vitale
I'd rather laugh with the sinners than cry with the saints. The sinners are much more fun.
Everyone can back up their opinions. Some people just do it a whole lot better than others. - Rebelnerd
Here's to the men and women who did what was considered wrong, in order to do what they knew was right.
'Of course it is happening inside your head, but why on earth should that mean that it is not real?'" - JK Rowling
07-11-2009 03:07 PM
Reptorian Offline
Fanatic

Given 18 thank(s) in 13 post(s)

Aviator Wrote:We, as a community, have this really bad problem where we tend to rip people who don't agree with us to shreds with personal attacks. Calling them trolls isn't a good way to start. Also, it's kinda overwhelming for them to start debating and then get piled on by like 10 people, 6 of which think it's cool just to post and hurt their feelings for the lulz.
I agree with the idea that calling them trolls isn't the good way to start the debate and that's how some debates are like. Words imitating stick and stones to other people while other don't give a damn about bad words being flied into their monitor. If they get hurt by words, then fine by me. Bad words don't physically affects someone if they don't let them hurt them.

Aviator Wrote:I think, that if we're going to facilitate debates, we ought to have a designated forum, available to a specific group of our members, who are mature enough to debate well; and open to any pro-schoolers who wish to debate with us. That way, the debates are kept in one area, are controlled, and the debaters are not overwhelmed.

We're going to need to restrict access who fails to argue efficiently in the forum that involves Killjoy in the best of school-survival if we're going to have thing that way and there should be an large amount of control since insults are going to occurs as observed in many online debates.

ZZZ...
07-11-2009 10:57 PM
psychopath Offline
Fanatic

Given 60 thank(s) in 54 post(s)

I seriously don't like where this is going. Having a section for debating is I think even worse. All of this separates us from the rest of society, we need to show them that we just want change, not that we're a separate cult or some sort of subculture.

If our little society revolves around sitting around and debating with people, we'll achieve nothing. We would become a pointless subculture that simply exists.

The moment we start being a subculture, we are gone.
07-11-2009 11:03 PM
Fire Elf Offline
Fanatic

Given 30 thank(s) in 25 post(s)

Aviator Wrote:Guys, there are a few problems with this plan of yours to invite pro-schoolers here.

We, as a community, have this really bad problem where we tend to rip people who don't agree with us to shreds with personal attacks. Calling them trolls isn't a good way to start. Also, it's kinda overwhelming for them to start debating and then get piled on by like 10 people, 6 of which think it's cool just to post and hurt their feelings for the lulz.

I think, that if we're going to facilitate debates, we ought to have a designated forum, available to a specific group of our members, who are mature enough to debate well; and open to any pro-schoolers who wish to debate with us. That way, the debates are kept in one area, are controlled, and the debaters are not overwhelmed.

Either way, I think we're going about it wrong. While I encourage and look forward to debate as much as the next person, I don't think we're going to get many people willing to debate here in the current state.
Why must you be such a lulzkiller?

The only good signature is a dead signature.
07-12-2009 12:29 AM
Aviator Offline
Pariah

Given 7 thank(s) in 6 post(s)

Quote:Why must you be such a lulzkiller?

Because I have no sense of humor and see a better way to do things than the current.

But, that's just me.

It is better to ask for forgiveness than for permission. - Neal Vitale
I'd rather laugh with the sinners than cry with the saints. The sinners are much more fun.
Everyone can back up their opinions. Some people just do it a whole lot better than others. - Rebelnerd
Here's to the men and women who did what was considered wrong, in order to do what they knew was right.
'Of course it is happening inside your head, but why on earth should that mean that it is not real?'" - JK Rowling
07-12-2009 07:32 AM
Swift Offline
Fanatic

Given 9 thank(s) in 8 post(s)

We should counter all cultures.

"I heard a joke once. Man goes to doctor says "I'm terribly depressed". Doctor says "I know just what you should do. Poliacci the clown is in town, go see him, you'll be cheered right up." The man bursts into tears. "But Doctor, I am Poliacci." Funny joke. Roll on snare drum. Everyone laugh."

-Rorschach

[Image: BANANAMAN.gif]
07-17-2009 02:47 PM
mrwednesday Offline
Renegade

Given 2 thank(s) in 2 post(s)

Beat Killjoy? Are you all serious? Didn't you consider that after fifteen pages of trying to debate with you people he realized that it was just an utter waste of time? Maybe--and I'm just grasping here--maybe after seeing what a clusterfuck his first post turned into, he made a new account and decided to start over.
Quote:We, as a community, have this really bad problem where we tend to rip people who don't agree with us to shreds with personal attacks. Calling them trolls isn't a good way to start. Also, it's kinda overwhelming for them to start debating and then get piled on by like 10 people, 6 of which think it's cool just to post and hurt their feelings for the lulz.
Give this man a medal.

Unitam logica falsa tuam philosophiam totam suffodiant!
07-25-2009 06:08 PM
Trar Away
R.I.P.

Given 189 thank(s) in 125 post(s)

mrwednesday Wrote:Beat Killjoy? Are you all serious? Didn't you consider that after fifteen pages of trying to debate with you people he realized that it was just an utter waste of time? Maybe--and I'm just grasping here--maybe after seeing what a clusterfuck his first post turned into, he made a new account and decided to start over.
Quote:We, as a community, have this really bad problem where we tend to rip people who don't agree with us to shreds with personal attacks. Calling them trolls isn't a good way to start. Also, it's kinda overwhelming for them to start debating and then get piled on by like 10 people, 6 of which think it's cool just to post and hurt their feelings for the lulz.
Give this man a medal.
I agree. One problem with our little community here is that some of them have simian intelligence. /me starts forging the medal Wink
07-26-2009 12:55 AM
The Desert Fox Offline
Waging war with conviction

Given 102 thank(s) in 75 post(s)

mrwednesday Wrote:Maybe he made a new account and decided to start over.

Thank you for your identity, sir.

Hidden stuff:
(11-27-2011 01:00 PM)psychopath Wrote:  
(11-27-2011 10:52 AM)Efs Wrote:  Our Army is more professional than Amerika. Smile
Except ours isn't allowed to have guns
CrayolaColours Wrote:That post owned. TDF wins post of the year.
Faby Wrote:
krissy Wrote:dessert fox
Mmm, flambéed vulpine.
"There is no enemy, there is no victory, only boys who lost their lives in the sand."
[/center]
08-22-2009 09:03 PM
IllusoryDeath Away
~become away~

Given 8 thank(s) in 8 post(s)

Nice bump, Avenger.

Aviator Wrote:Guys, there are a few problems with this plan of yours to invite pro-schoolers here.

this x100,000,000,000 Notworthy
08-23-2009 12:46 AM
The Desert Fox Offline
Waging war with conviction

Given 102 thank(s) in 75 post(s)

Thank you. Biggrin

Hidden stuff:
(11-27-2011 01:00 PM)psychopath Wrote:  
(11-27-2011 10:52 AM)Efs Wrote:  Our Army is more professional than Amerika. Smile
Except ours isn't allowed to have guns
CrayolaColours Wrote:That post owned. TDF wins post of the year.
Faby Wrote:
krissy Wrote:dessert fox
Mmm, flambéed vulpine.
"There is no enemy, there is no victory, only boys who lost their lives in the sand."
[/center]
08-24-2009 04:12 AM

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  How to beat the "someone" learned that in school argument iexist 5 2,569 11-05-2013 10:07 AM
Last Post: brainiac3397
  Hey thunder, you win. I give up arguing. Michio-kun 13 2,311 01-30-2009 12:09 PM
Last Post: John Tuttle