RIP School Survival Forums
August 2001 - June 2017

The School Survival Forums are permanently retired. If you need help with quitting school, unsupportive parents or anything else, there is a list of resources on the Help Page.

If you want to write about your experiences in school, you can write on our blog.

To everyone who joined these forums at some point, and got discouraged by the negativity and left after a while (or even got literally scared off): I'm sorry.

I wasn't good enough at encouraging people to be kinder, and removing people who refuse to be kind. Encouraging people is hard, and removing people creates conflict, and I hate conflict... so that's why I wasn't better at it.

I was a very, very sensitive teen. The atmosphere of this forum as it is now, if it had existed in 1996, would probably have upset me far more than it would have helped.

I can handle quite a lot of negativity and even abuse now, but that isn't the point. I want to help people. I want to help the people who need it the most, and I want to help people like the 1996 version of me.

I'm still figuring out the best way to do that, but as it is now, these forums are doing more harm than good, and I can't keep running them.

Thank you to the few people who have tried to understand my point of view so far. I really, really appreciate you guys. You are beautiful people.

Everyone else: If after everything I've said so far, you still don't understand my motivations, I think it's unlikely that you will. We're just too different. Maybe someday in the future it might make sense, but until then, there's no point in arguing about it. I don't have the time or the energy for arguing anymore. I will focus my time and energy on people who support me, and those who need help.

-SoulRiser

The forums are mostly read-only and are in a maintenance/testing phase, before being permanently archived. Please use this time to get the contact details of people you'd like to keep in touch with. My contact details are here.

Please do not make a mirror copy of the forums in their current state - things will still change, and some people have requested to be able to edit or delete some of their personal info.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Does anyone care any more, honestly?
whistlingwings Offline
Revolutionary

Given 2 thank(s) in 2 post(s)
Does anyone care any more, honestly?

Does anyone go to school (students and teachers alike) because they're truly interested in it and feel there's worth something? I doubt it. I think they just go due to rote and get it over with. Just an observation.
07-10-2009 08:26 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Jackass McAwesome Offline
Fanatic

Given 24 thank(s) in 17 post(s)
Re: Does anyone care any more, honestly?

^

You don't. Your personality does.
07-10-2009 09:25 AM
aerftghyjk Offline
Fanatic

Given 17 thank(s) in 13 post(s)

I think that is true. My Mom says I have to go to school... because I have to. She rarely gives any other reason. None
07-11-2009 12:04 AM
Thought Criminal Offline
Frame 313

Given 106 thank(s) in 80 post(s)

I run into the occasional person but other than that no. everyone else hates it, and rightfully so.
07-11-2009 12:30 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Amortisatie Offline
Fanatic

Given 18 thank(s) in 16 post(s)

thought criminal Wrote:I run into the occasional person but other than that no. everyone else hates it, and rightfully so.

But they are too afraid to state why they truly hate it, so they just say it's because of homework Rolleyes

I'm pretty sure most people know the government just wants them to be mindless slaves

[Image: spooky-1.jpg]

“The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.”
― Neil deGrasse Tyson
07-11-2009 12:46 AM
mudkip liek Offline
Fanatic

Given 10 thank(s) in 7 post(s)

Actually, I've never met anyone who has expressed that they truly like school. Ever.

Everyone just complains about how stupid it is. And homework isn't their only reason.
07-11-2009 04:50 AM
Amortisatie Offline
Fanatic

Given 18 thank(s) in 16 post(s)

Well, for me it is.

All my friends and people at my school complain about homework then they laugh it off

[Image: spooky-1.jpg]

“The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.”
― Neil deGrasse Tyson
07-11-2009 08:34 AM
whistlingwings Offline
Revolutionary

I was also talking about teachers.
07-11-2009 09:03 AM
Thought Criminal Offline
Frame 313

Given 106 thank(s) in 80 post(s)

most teachers I know take it seriously but that could just be the business side of them. all the teachers that I have become friends with seem to despise it.
07-11-2009 11:53 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
mudkip liek Offline
Fanatic

Given 10 thank(s) in 7 post(s)

I only know of one teacher that doesn't give a care about school.

But I also know one who took an extra class to teach even after they told her she won't get paid for it. She told us it's because she enjoys teaching so much and "loves kids". Rolleyes
07-11-2009 01:06 PM
teenagewasteland Offline
Revolutionary

Given 4 thank(s) in 3 post(s)

Most teachers in my school thought they were "enriching young minds". At least that's how they appeared to me.
I think most kids just felt as they had to get it done with, even though they knew it wasn't worth anything knowledge wise. It's all to get a damn diploma.
07-12-2009 06:17 AM
monkey Away
Fanatic

Given 26 thank(s) in 17 post(s)

whistlingwings Wrote:Does anyone go to school (students and teachers alike) because they're truly interested in it and feel there's worth something? I doubt it. I think they just go due to rote and get it over with. Just an observation.

True but alot of people when asked if they want to go to school would go "LOLLLL NO SCHOOLS LETS GO GET BEERS LOLLL" I mean there is a difference between people that don't give a fuck and people who care about there education. But parents just think everyone fits into the first group.

Had to move on. Account is dead.
07-13-2009 03:10 PM
classclown Offline
Fanatic

Given 7 thank(s) in 7 post(s)

i have a few teachers that does. last yr me n this teacher actually became friends n i know he doesnt. and some kids do n i usually kick them in the face.

life is just blah blah blah. we hope for blah, and sometimes we find it. but mostly its blah. and waiting for blah. and hoping you were right about the blahs you made. and when you think you just got the whole blah damn thing figured out, and your surrounded by the ones you blah. death shows up and blah blah blah.
-weeds-

Death may be the greatest of all human blessings. -socrates-

Schooling us to prepare us for the career in need
Not caring about our interests and dreams to heed
07-14-2009 02:48 PM
Dark Soul X Offline
Fanatic

Given 7 thank(s) in 6 post(s)

whistlingwings Wrote:Does anyone go to school (students and teachers alike) because they're truly interested in it and feel there's worth something? I doubt it. I think they just go due to rote and get it over with. Just an observation.

As of right now, I'm only going to school to be with friends and to potentially get a gf. Those are the only two things that interest me about school.

This year I barely gave any effort, still passed. The remaining two years should be easy.

I have no value about the "educational" part of school. The system's pretty ineffective.

In computer class, I actually knew more than my teacher in that subject.

In math I gave no effort because the teacher only gave us a few minutes of teaching and expected us to do about three assignments off of that little piece of info he gave us (he actually expected us to have learned it in fucking elementary, and it's fucking trigonometry).

In gym I did alright. Got a pity A due to my past heart issues (like 2004 past, and that all went away with one surgery). It's a cheap way to get a good grade, but I don't care.

In geometry, I was just plain annoyed and that got me off focus. Still passed that class with flying colors.

I learn more outside of school than I do in it. To rely on school for my "education" would turn me into a retard. End of rant.

Spambot Kill Counter: 33
Spambot Kill Counter as Spambot Hell's Devil: Countless

Buying a high powered computer: 500 bucks
Getting gift wrap: 10 bucks maybe
Seeing the horror on that special someone's face once they tear off the gift wrap and see a Windows 98: Priceless.

[Image: Spawn_Classic.jpg]

I'll see you in Hell....AAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAAA!!!!
07-15-2009 04:04 AM
annie Offline
Revolutionary

Given 0 thank(s) in 0 post(s)

I'm actually pro-school and fit your description. Wasntme Which I know means I shouldn't be here, but hey, it seems an interesting place & I have friends here. C'est la vie.

I can understand the anti-school side of it though.

TEAM ATTICUS
"Do you really think so?"

How can anyone not get that reference...
07-29-2009 12:24 PM
mrwednesday Offline
Renegade

annie Wrote:I'm actually pro-school and fit your description. Wasntme Which I know means I shouldn't be here
Welcome to the club.

Unitam logica falsa tuam philosophiam totam suffodiant!
07-29-2009 01:38 PM
IllusoryDeath Away
~become away~

Given 8 thank(s) in 8 post(s)

Absolutely nobody that I know goes to school thinking that they are actually going to learn something....at least, they don't let on that they do. It is such a rarity to come across something new or even just useful in such a place....*sigh* Anyway. I find that either there are those who do not do the work - the majority, and usually due to laziness rather than rebelling - or those who do the work merely to please their teachers/parents or try to show that they are smarter than others or because they've been "taught" that that's what you are supposed to do. (School making its students docile little cubicle-workers? Nooooooooooooooooo....) -.- Either way, nobody is leaning a damn thing. *Note: memorization ≠ learning

Personally, I was one of those kids caught up in the "that's how it's done so do it" faze for the majority of my grade-to-middle school career. I never really thought that what I was "learning" in later years (as in after the whole reading & writing & basic science-y/mathematical deducting bit) had much to do with anything pertaining to how I wanted to live my life, but only until recently have I realized what they are really trying to do to us in those government buildings. Firstly, we were to young to guess at or even notice, and secondly, when we finally get to that comprehending age where we might give a care, we don't even see it for what it all is since we've been in the system for so long....overall it's very unfair.
But I've digressed.

In grade six of middle school up until about the second semester of my sophomore year of high school, I was seeing school without all the haziness & distractions of a young child's mind. Near the end there I came across S-S, which opened my eyes even further and I pretty much stopped my brain from going along its easy & habitual route of caring so much about homework and GPAs and all of that other useless nonsense. For years already I had given up the hope of learning anything useful in school and forsaken myself to memorization, but the second semester of last year I saw that maybe things could change, if only a little. That's what the people on sites like S-S are doing - have been doing - and I finally came to the conclusion of "Fuck school. They do not adhere to my learning, so why should I give a them another mind to conform?"

And that was the slightly long-ish tale of how I stopped caring. ;D
07-29-2009 02:47 PM

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  I honestly couldn't care less about what you think of me тωιѕтє∂ 8 3,574 02-20-2013 06:06 AM
Last Post: brainiac3397