RIP School Survival Forums
August 2001 - June 2017

The School Survival Forums are permanently retired. If you need help with quitting school, unsupportive parents or anything else, there is a list of resources on the Help Page.

If you want to write about your experiences in school, you can write on our blog.

To everyone who joined these forums at some point, and got discouraged by the negativity and left after a while (or even got literally scared off): I'm sorry.

I wasn't good enough at encouraging people to be kinder, and removing people who refuse to be kind. Encouraging people is hard, and removing people creates conflict, and I hate conflict... so that's why I wasn't better at it.

I was a very, very sensitive teen. The atmosphere of this forum as it is now, if it had existed in 1996, would probably have upset me far more than it would have helped.

I can handle quite a lot of negativity and even abuse now, but that isn't the point. I want to help people. I want to help the people who need it the most, and I want to help people like the 1996 version of me.

I'm still figuring out the best way to do that, but as it is now, these forums are doing more harm than good, and I can't keep running them.

Thank you to the few people who have tried to understand my point of view so far. I really, really appreciate you guys. You are beautiful people.

Everyone else: If after everything I've said so far, you still don't understand my motivations, I think it's unlikely that you will. We're just too different. Maybe someday in the future it might make sense, but until then, there's no point in arguing about it. I don't have the time or the energy for arguing anymore. I will focus my time and energy on people who support me, and those who need help.

-SoulRiser

The forums are mostly read-only and are in a maintenance/testing phase, before being permanently archived. Please use this time to get the contact details of people you'd like to keep in touch with. My contact details are here.

Please do not make a mirror copy of the forums in their current state - things will still change, and some people have requested to be able to edit or delete some of their personal info.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Can't delete a file in system32
Desu Offline
Fanatic

Given 340 thank(s) in 182 post(s)
Can't delete a file in system32

I have vistax64, and I'm trying to delete a file called orbit.exe in windows > system32 > drivers, and my computer won't let me. orbit.exe seems like a malicious file, or if not, it's useless, so I want to delete it.

RIP GORE GOROTH

He was an hero. He will always be remembered.
09-03-2009 11:50 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
MM Offline
Fanatic

Given 7 thank(s) in 7 post(s)
Re: Can't delete a file in system32

Make sure you have Vista's User Account Control turned off. To turn it off, go to your Control Panel, switch to the Classic View, click on the User Accounts thing and you should see a "Turn User Account Control on or off". Go to that, and un-check the box. If that doesn't work, try this.

Right-click on your Windows (or system32 folder, but I think if you do it with Windows, it works will all sub-folders), click Properties then go to the Security tab. Click Advanced, then click the Owners tab. Under the Owners tab, click Edit, then check the box that says "Replace owner on subcontainers and objects".
09-04-2009 01:20 AM
Reptorian Offline
Fanatic

Given 18 thank(s) in 13 post(s)

Sent you an PM to help your issue.

As for TA, get your ass out of here unless you got something to contribute to the OP. Yes, he have been here when I entered this thread.

ZZZ...
09-05-2009 09:58 AM
Reptorian Offline
Fanatic

Given 18 thank(s) in 13 post(s)

I personally have dealt with viruses, spyware, malware for 4-5 years before I even bother thinking of getting higher security since I thought I had no hope at all. But I have been doing some researches analyzing which program could help me on security area while training myself using forums for at least 2 years. One time, I had over 240 threats and my computer still haven't break down even though it weaker than the standard one. After the experience of messing with an powerful firewall and observing what program can supports my final needs, I finally know what to touch myself. All of these experience have actually help me save my computer from further damages and one of my friend recommends me using siteadvisor and noscript to further protect myself from damages just in case if I visit an risky site. In fact, all of these years of struggling helps me later. So I should know how to help the OP.

ZZZ...
09-05-2009 01:06 PM
vonunov Offline
Badgrr

Given 186 thank(s) in 126 post(s)

What do you mean, it won't let you? That's a little vague.

Your options:

1) Start > All Programs > Accessories > Right-click Command Prompt > Run as Administrator

Run these commands (one line, one command, enter after each):
Code:
cd \windows\system32\drivers
del orbit.exe

2) If this doesn't work for whatever reason, keep the command prompt open as we may come back to it later, and download Root Repeal. In Root Repeal, go to Tools > Wipe, Copy and Delete. Click Select File and browse to C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\orbit.exe. Check "Wipe File" and click "Do Operation".

2a) If this fails, go to Settings > Options, and change Disk Access Level from Lowest Level to Special Level, then try again.

3) If this fails, return to the command prompt window. Run this command:
Code:
cacls orbit.exe /p Guest:N

This will change orbit.exe's file permissions to Guest:None (no other accounts or groups will have permissions to it), effectively isolating it. You may then want to reboot and try again to delete it using the above methods.

Before you do these things, try checking the file properties (right-click > Properties) of orbit.exe to see if a Publisher is listed, or if it's signed by any reputable company.

As I can't find anything positive about that file in drivers/, you may want to run a scan with MBAM to see if it picks anything up.
09-05-2009 01:16 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Desu Offline
Fanatic

Given 340 thank(s) in 182 post(s)

The reason I think it's malicious is because my firewall said it was downloading something from the internet. wtf? Somehow it didn't have to get permission from my firewall, but it had ports open. I raged.

Anyway, I was able to successfully delete it so thx.

RIP GORE GOROTH

He was an hero. He will always be remembered.
09-05-2009 01:18 PM

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Sweden Grants Religious Recognition To File-Sharing Church HeartofShadows 27 12,911 05-12-2012 08:08 AM
Last Post: thewake
  file hosting Michio-kun 11 2,475 12-18-2008 01:30 AM
Last Post: Hanny
  Free File Hosting? Bob Dole 7 2,449 06-20-2008 06:29 PM
Last Post: Bob Dole