RIP School Survival Forums
August 2001 - June 2017

The School Survival Forums are permanently retired. If you need help with quitting school, unsupportive parents or anything else, there is a list of resources on the Help Page.

If you want to write about your experiences in school, you can write on our blog.

To everyone who joined these forums at some point, and got discouraged by the negativity and left after a while (or even got literally scared off): I'm sorry.

I wasn't good enough at encouraging people to be kinder, and removing people who refuse to be kind. Encouraging people is hard, and removing people creates conflict, and I hate conflict... so that's why I wasn't better at it.

I was a very, very sensitive teen. The atmosphere of this forum as it is now, if it had existed in 1996, would probably have upset me far more than it would have helped.

I can handle quite a lot of negativity and even abuse now, but that isn't the point. I want to help people. I want to help the people who need it the most, and I want to help people like the 1996 version of me.

I'm still figuring out the best way to do that, but as it is now, these forums are doing more harm than good, and I can't keep running them.

Thank you to the few people who have tried to understand my point of view so far. I really, really appreciate you guys. You are beautiful people.

Everyone else: If after everything I've said so far, you still don't understand my motivations, I think it's unlikely that you will. We're just too different. Maybe someday in the future it might make sense, but until then, there's no point in arguing about it. I don't have the time or the energy for arguing anymore. I will focus my time and energy on people who support me, and those who need help.

-SoulRiser

The forums are mostly read-only and are in a maintenance/testing phase, before being permanently archived. Please use this time to get the contact details of people you'd like to keep in touch with. My contact details are here.

Please do not make a mirror copy of the forums in their current state - things will still change, and some people have requested to be able to edit or delete some of their personal info.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Just a rant. (edited title in case more people get pissed)
username01462781 Offline
Pariah

Given 8 thank(s) in 7 post(s)
Just a rant. (edited title in case more people get pissed)

Disclaimer: This is completely true, none of it is made up.

Last term I had my exams. This was my first time with exams. The teachers started pressuring us to study at home and go really well (or they would lose their jobs). Most kids studied, I didn't. I never do any homework, their isn't a point. In fact I don't do that much work at school either.

Then when we finished the term we had holidays (awesome) and yesterday I went back to hell, oh, I mean school and we got our results. I knew I would go pretty bad in most of the subjects but I was shocked to see that I got an A in the english exam. My english teacher told me I got the highest score out of all the year 8's. And I never do any work in english at all. Funnily enough I do the most work in maths and I got a fail for that exam.
Coincidence? I think not!
(This post was last modified: 09-19-2014 04:47 PM by username01462781.)
07-14-2009 03:33 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
classclown Offline
Fanatic

Given 7 thank(s) in 7 post(s)
Re: Proof that school work has no effect on the academic process

i know that kinda deal i get that alot

life is just blah blah blah. we hope for blah, and sometimes we find it. but mostly its blah. and waiting for blah. and hoping you were right about the blahs you made. and when you think you just got the whole blah damn thing figured out, and your surrounded by the ones you blah. death shows up and blah blah blah.
-weeds-

Death may be the greatest of all human blessings. -socrates-

Schooling us to prepare us for the career in need
Not caring about our interests and dreams to heed
07-14-2009 03:41 PM
maxh Offline
Revolutionary

Given 1 thank(s) in 1 post(s)

So not only does schoolwork have no effect on academic ability, it actually has a negative effect (based on anecdotal information).

Carla Franklin has never denied that on the afternoon of the third of August 2006 she raped and killed sixteen children celebrating their friend's fifth birthday and forced their parents to share a dinner of their remains.

If a teacher you don't know tries to bust you for something, just tell them "Jsem výměnný student, nemluvím anglicky. Tak jdi do prdele ty posranej hajzle, tvoje matka je kurva!", then send me money.
07-14-2009 05:59 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
 Thanks given by: Superkamiguru
Spot-ify Offline
Pariah

Given 1 thank(s) in 1 post(s)

Capital 'E' for English. Wasntme

But yes, I agree with the points you raised.

I used to be "The circus" as I forgot my login, but then hey-ho I remembered it.
07-15-2009 12:30 AM
Number11 Offline
Renegade

Given 4 thank(s) in 3 post(s)

I had a 53 average in Algebra 2 at the end of this past year, my junior year, then, on the last day, scored a 57 on the final exam, popped my average up to a 73 or 78, can't remember exactly, but I passed.

So, it's all arbitrary and useless, yes.

[Image: th-9_just-douche-it-adbusters.jpg]
07-21-2009 11:26 PM
Milk2Go Offline
Fanatic

Given 41 thank(s) in 29 post(s)

That's not really enough evidence to prove anything.
07-22-2009 03:56 AM
Mono Offline
Renegade

Given 2 thank(s) in 2 post(s)
Proof that drinking toilet duck gives you magic powers.

Disclaimer: This is completely true, none of it is made up.

One day I decided to drink toilet duck, then later that day I started shooting rainbows from my dick. Funnily enough, whenever I drink Clorox it makes me throw up.
07-22-2009 05:00 AM
 Thanks given by: Superkamiguru
John Tuttle Offline
Fanatic

Given 5 thank(s) in 5 post(s)
Re: Proof that drinking toilet duck gives you magic powers.

Mono Wrote:Disclaimer: This is completely true, none of it is made up.

One day I decided to drink toilet duck, then later that day I started shooting rainbows from my dick. Funnily enough, whenever I drink Clorox it makes me throw up.
LOL

About the original post, while I'm all for anti-schoolism, posting random shit on the internet and calling it proof of your argument will not sway anyone (except for maybe some Catholics.)

[Image: funny-gifs-wax-on-wax-owl.gif]
07-22-2009 04:02 PM
username01462781 Offline
Pariah

I didn't mean to offend anyone for my post, but if your going to be a asshole about it then that's your problem. I'm not into arguing over the internet, as it's pretty much pointless. I'm not really computer or internet savvy, so if I made a mistake, don't get pissed off about it.

God and I thought this was a place where like minded people came to discuss things and not start fights with each other.
07-22-2009 04:26 PM
Milk2Go Offline
Fanatic

Yeah, but the problem is that you think you have real "proof", but in actuality, that's not proof at all.
07-23-2009 12:47 PM
mrwednesday Offline
Renegade

Given 2 thank(s) in 2 post(s)

BobManPerson Wrote:Yeah, but the problem is that you think you have real "proof", but in actuality, that's not proof at all.
Exactly. Correlation does not imply causation. The original post is nothing more than a celebration of ignorance. Linki, if you give a damn about your education at all, you would be utilizing the assistance being proffered to you and you would be doing your schoolwork.
linki Wrote:their isn't a point.
lol

Unitam logica falsa tuam philosophiam totam suffodiant!
07-23-2009 03:28 PM
username01462781 Offline
Pariah

BobManPerson, I completely agree with you, but mrwednesday, are you sure that this site is for you? This site is about anti-schooling and where people who don't like school come to discuss it. By the sound of things, you seem to be in support of the current education system.

Not trying to stir up an argument, just curious.
07-23-2009 05:11 PM
psychopath Offline
Fanatic

Given 60 thank(s) in 54 post(s)

linki Wrote:but mrwednesday, are you sure that this site is for you? This site is about anti-schooling and where people who don't like school come to discuss it. By the sound of things, you seem to be in support of the current education system.

This. We're not here to help you out if you're too thick headed and close minded to listen to our views. This isn't a debating forum. When we do debate you, you should consider yourself lucky.
07-23-2009 05:13 PM
kylemw13 Offline
Revolutionary

Given 3 thank(s) in 3 post(s)
Re: Just a rant. (edited title in case more people get pissed)

Because our time is so valuable in comparison to yours. Rolleyes

The United States is a nation of laws: badly written and randomly enforced.
- Frank Zappa
I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure.
- Clarence Darro
Reader, suppose you were an idiot. And suppose you were a member of Congress. But I repeat myself.
» I would like to live in Manchester, England. The transition between Manchester and death would be unnoticeable.
- Mark Twain
When people are free to do as they please, they usually imitate each other.
- Eric Hoffer
07-23-2009 06:13 PM
Thought Criminal Offline
Frame 313

Given 106 thank(s) in 80 post(s)

You guys are fucking morons what pissed you off abut this post? I liked it. In fact pretty much the same thing happens to me. I don't do jack shit for work in math or English but I always ace the English exam I got second highest in my class overall this year but the other person was Chinese so it wasn't quite fair. They get their ass beat of they aren't first. I got a c on the math quiz but thats because I suck at math in the first place and I Christmas treed most of it.
07-24-2009 01:20 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
BeyondHaibara1412 Offline
Rebel

Given 0 thank(s) in 0 post(s)

I have to agree. This past year, I barely did anything in Spanish and Biology but actually put in a lot of effort for my math class (Geometry). I passed Biology and Spanish with A's and B's. My math class, I got a C the whole year. (Note: I've gotten one-sided lectures for Cs, even though that's the average person's score, so this is actually quite pertinent.)

Ironic that this occurs to people, because you'd assume that it'd be reversed. The subject a person studies for ends up being the one they do worse in than the rest. Maybe because they know they do worse in that subject, so they study?

I wonder why, in our textbooks, we had 2 pages of Civil Disobedience (by Thoreau), when the unabridged one in a book had 18 pages? Seems odd, don't you think?
We almost never read the full stories or full novels in the highest English class my high school offered. We read only small parts of Don Quixote and the Illiad. Pathetic.
07-24-2009 02:57 AM
teenagewasteland Offline
Revolutionary

Given 4 thank(s) in 3 post(s)

Yah it's weird that way. I never paid much attention in earth science, during the last part of the year I just drew the whole time, but on my final exam I got a B (might have been an A, I can't remember).

But I got a D on my algebra final, even though I went to tutoring for three damn hours a week for months! I still passed with a C for a final grade so I don't care.
07-24-2009 03:22 AM
Milk2Go Offline
Fanatic

linki Wrote:BobManPerson, I completely agree with you, but mrwednesday, are you sure that this site is for you? This site is about anti-schooling and where people who don't like school come to discuss it. By the sound of things, you seem to be in support of the current education system.

He's probably just a troll. Even if he isn't, it doesn't matter. We'll just practice arguing against him before we argue against people IRL.
07-24-2009 06:18 AM
Reptorian Offline
Fanatic

Given 18 thank(s) in 13 post(s)

He's not a troll, but some guy that can actually talk with other. A troll would be TrueAnarchist according to most people here, but some people do not mind him (not mentioning name)

ZZZ...
07-24-2009 11:48 AM
The Desert Fox Offline
Waging war with conviction

Given 102 thank(s) in 75 post(s)

mrwednesday Wrote:if you give a damn about your education at all, you would be utilizing the assistance being proffered to you and you would be doing your schoolwork.

I smell another Killjoy/Venjamin.

Hidden stuff:
(11-27-2011 01:00 PM)psychopath Wrote:  
(11-27-2011 10:52 AM)Efs Wrote:  Our Army is more professional than Amerika. Smile
Except ours isn't allowed to have guns
CrayolaColours Wrote:That post owned. TDF wins post of the year.
Faby Wrote:
krissy Wrote:dessert fox
Mmm, flambéed vulpine.
"There is no enemy, there is no victory, only boys who lost their lives in the sand."
[/center]
07-24-2009 12:14 PM

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Alfie Kohn: The case against grades xcriteria 0 1,389 11-17-2014 05:44 AM
Last Post: xcriteria
  Can't think of a title Bob42 12 5,739 09-27-2012 07:05 AM
Last Post: guts12
  Still Can't Think Of A Title Ky 12 4,914 08-16-2012 09:03 AM
Last Post: Ky
  Ugly People: My first schoolards (big rant) Pashupati 4 2,421 06-29-2011 01:23 PM
Last Post: Pashupati
  Why are people really pissed off about school? Venjamin 79 11,658 05-27-2009 10:27 AM
Last Post: Amortisatie