RIP School Survival Forums
August 2001 - June 2017

The School Survival Forums are permanently retired. If you need help with quitting school, unsupportive parents or anything else, there is a list of resources on the Help Page.

If you want to write about your experiences in school, you can write on our blog.

To everyone who joined these forums at some point, and got discouraged by the negativity and left after a while (or even got literally scared off): I'm sorry.

I wasn't good enough at encouraging people to be kinder, and removing people who refuse to be kind. Encouraging people is hard, and removing people creates conflict, and I hate conflict... so that's why I wasn't better at it.

I was a very, very sensitive teen. The atmosphere of this forum as it is now, if it had existed in 1996, would probably have upset me far more than it would have helped.

I can handle quite a lot of negativity and even abuse now, but that isn't the point. I want to help people. I want to help the people who need it the most, and I want to help people like the 1996 version of me.

I'm still figuring out the best way to do that, but as it is now, these forums are doing more harm than good, and I can't keep running them.

Thank you to the few people who have tried to understand my point of view so far. I really, really appreciate you guys. You are beautiful people.

Everyone else: If after everything I've said so far, you still don't understand my motivations, I think it's unlikely that you will. We're just too different. Maybe someday in the future it might make sense, but until then, there's no point in arguing about it. I don't have the time or the energy for arguing anymore. I will focus my time and energy on people who support me, and those who need help.

-SoulRiser

The forums are mostly read-only and are in a maintenance/testing phase, before being permanently archived. Please use this time to get the contact details of people you'd like to keep in touch with. My contact details are here.

Please do not make a mirror copy of the forums in their current state - things will still change, and some people have requested to be able to edit or delete some of their personal info.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Robot Ethics
Bob Dole Offline
Fanatic

Given 23 thank(s) in 19 post(s)
Robot Ethics

So, I just finished reading I, Robot by Isaac Asimov. It was a very interesting book. The basic premise of the book is that intelligent robots have been created by humanity. These robots are subject to the three laws of robotics.

1. A robot may not injure a human being or, through inaction, allow a human being to come to harm.
2. A robot must obey any orders given to it by human beings, except where such orders would conflict with the First Law.
3. A robot must protect its own existence as long as such protection does not conflict with the First or Second Law.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Three_Laws_Of_Robotics
A bit here for more reading.

Asimov then goes through the entire book tearing apart his own three laws. It's a rather strange thing to do with laws of your own invention, don't you think?

Anyways, here's something for you to ponder. How does one strengthen those laws so that such bugs do not occur? I'll add my own thoughts in a while.

K
S
08-01-2009 04:05 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
psychopath Offline
Fanatic

Given 60 thank(s) in 54 post(s)
Re: Robot Ethics

Even if these laws do work, I don't think they will absolutely prevent robots going haywire.

Why do humans want to survive and reproduce? It's because if we didn't, we wouldn't be around. As the internet takes over the globe and there's a bunch of programs spreading all over, we'll probably get some that can modify themselves(maybe randomly like mutations, maybe for another reason...) while self-replicating.

Kind of like the beginning of life. From a soup of code, there could emerge self-replicating and "selfish" programs that exist for no reason other than the fact that only the ones that replicate themselves pass on their code.

Eventually, these "viruses" may get more and more complex, or, if they never modify themselves, more complex ones may pop up. Who knows, maybe they'll even compete for resources(bandwidth for example).

Even later, we could get very intelligent viruses that are very committed to survival. These programs will not care about anything but the replication of themselves. If humans try to destroy them, they would counter it.

Maybe if we try to turn off the machines that they inhabit, they'll infect other machines to physically stop us from doing so, because these AI care only about themselves.

No Asimov law could stop such an entity.

There's also the possibility that nutcases would build machines that want to survive and do not follow such laws. This would mean skipping the years of "cyber evolution" that the viruses had to go through.

Also, as software gets more and more complex, we understand less of it. There could be unexpected results due to nobody completely understanding how a robotic system works.

However there's still ages till robots reach our level of intelligence. Quantum computing is in its infancy and the best robots out there have insect levels of intelligence.
08-01-2009 04:20 PM
Liquid Offline
poison - do not drink

Given 2 thank(s) in 2 post(s)
Re: Robot Ethics

(Hi, I'm back Smile )

psychopath Wrote:As the internet takes over the globe and there's a bunch of programs spreading all over, we'll probably get some that can modify themselves(maybe randomly like mutations, maybe for another reason...) while self-replicating.

That's beginning to happen right now. There have been "Polymorphic" viruses for awhile now but there aren't so many because there are hard to write, "Metamorphic" viruses are the next step up the chain.

With polymorphic code, there is the important "core" code, and fluff non-important code along with it. When the polymorphic virus replicates, it randomly changes the non-important code, without changing the core of the virus. "Metamorphic" viruses randomly regenerate the core of the code, but still keep the algorithms running the same way, just using different code. With metamorphic viruses the non-critical parts of the code are usually still there but aren't "fluff" instead it might be code for other viruses, toolkits, data on how the attacks are going, IPs of servers to send info to, and other things like that- things that aren't essential but change on replication.

//

[Image: techhoops5.jpg]
08-26-2009 06:19 AM

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Ethics of Inventing "Death Machines" brainiac3397 4 2,387 10-23-2013 02:05 PM
Last Post: brainiac3397
  Robot Apocalypse Versus Power of the People Conformist 4 1,689 02-10-2011 01:44 AM
Last Post: The Desert Fox
  Ethics of joining the army reserve psychopath 2 1,380 11-12-2009 05:00 AM
Last Post: Rebelnerd