RIP School Survival Forums
August 2001 - June 2017

The School Survival Forums are permanently retired. If you need help with quitting school, unsupportive parents or anything else, there is a list of resources on the Help Page.

If you want to write about your experiences in school, you can write on our blog.

To everyone who joined these forums at some point, and got discouraged by the negativity and left after a while (or even got literally scared off): I'm sorry.

I wasn't good enough at encouraging people to be kinder, and removing people who refuse to be kind. Encouraging people is hard, and removing people creates conflict, and I hate conflict... so that's why I wasn't better at it.

I was a very, very sensitive teen. The atmosphere of this forum as it is now, if it had existed in 1996, would probably have upset me far more than it would have helped.

I can handle quite a lot of negativity and even abuse now, but that isn't the point. I want to help people. I want to help the people who need it the most, and I want to help people like the 1996 version of me.

I'm still figuring out the best way to do that, but as it is now, these forums are doing more harm than good, and I can't keep running them.

Thank you to the few people who have tried to understand my point of view so far. I really, really appreciate you guys. You are beautiful people.

Everyone else: If after everything I've said so far, you still don't understand my motivations, I think it's unlikely that you will. We're just too different. Maybe someday in the future it might make sense, but until then, there's no point in arguing about it. I don't have the time or the energy for arguing anymore. I will focus my time and energy on people who support me, and those who need help.

-SoulRiser

The forums are mostly read-only and are in a maintenance/testing phase, before being permanently archived. Please use this time to get the contact details of people you'd like to keep in touch with. My contact details are here.

Please do not make a mirror copy of the forums in their current state - things will still change, and some people have requested to be able to edit or delete some of their personal info.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
School is starting! oh no!
Milk2Go Offline
Fanatic

Given 41 thank(s) in 29 post(s)
Re: School is starting! oh no!

cp Wrote:First day of school was not good. They didnt have my schedule so they handed me some random one and told me to follow it. Then I asked a nicer teacher to print off my real one and she did but Im in all the wrong classes. So tomorrow I have to go and get everything fixed.
That reminds me of what happened to me last year. They gave me my schedule during the book buy, but my only classes were three study halls. The rest were free periods. Sadly, they fixed it and gave me my real one in time for freshman orientation.
08-13-2009 06:45 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
aerftghyjk Offline
Fanatic

Given 17 thank(s) in 13 post(s)

Had to endure the first day. It sucks knowing i'm going to spend a year doing this crap.
08-13-2009 07:16 AM
IllusoryDeath Away
~become away~

Given 8 thank(s) in 8 post(s)

sio Wrote:It sucks knowing i'm going to spend a year doing this crap.

It makes me want to cry just thinking about having to go though school for at least another 9+ months, much less two years.
What year are you in school?
08-13-2009 07:29 AM
aerftghyjk Offline
Fanatic

IllusoryDeath Wrote:
sio Wrote:It sucks knowing i'm going to spend a year doing this crap.

It makes me want to cry just thinking about having to go though school for at least another 9+ months, much less two years.
What year are you in school?

8th. Next year is high...
08-13-2009 08:04 AM
IllusoryDeath Away
~become away~

I feel, really really badly for you, man. :\
08-13-2009 08:15 AM
Amortisatie Offline
Fanatic

Given 18 thank(s) in 16 post(s)

Well everything went... odd today.

A few kids who were late to the orientation were forced to stand up and were humiliated in front of the entire class, saying they "disrupted the meeting and disturbed others" when everybody didn't even care if they were late or not.

And the handbook (bunch of rules), oh the handbook was enraging, in fact, let me quote some parts of it, underlined things that made me facepalm, bold and underlined for super-facepalm

Fire Drills Wrote:Fire Drill are required by law and are an important safety factor. It is essential that everyone obeys promptly when the first signal is given. Drills are time of absolute silence, even after the building is cleared. Students are to be ready to follow orders given by their teachers.

To me, if there is a fire, I run my little ass out of there, but to them, it is just another excuse to control what we do... it's sickening...

Homework Wrote:Homework is a necessary part of the education process, students must complete all homework assignments. Failure to do homework may result in disciplinary as well as academic consequences

I'm sure you feel the same way I do about the last part...

I super-raged at this next one, since it practically screams "YOU WILL GET ON YOUR KNEES FOR US OR FACE THE CONSEQUENCES"

The Assclowns Wrote:Deliberate insubordination or insolence towards authority calls for immediate disciplinary action.

I have lost my faith in humanity again...

[Image: spooky-1.jpg]

“The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.”
― Neil deGrasse Tyson
08-13-2009 08:51 AM
IllusoryDeath Away
~become away~

Noo It's wrong. It is so, SO wrong.
08-13-2009 08:55 AM
aerftghyjk Offline
Fanatic

This is my first time starting school knowing about s-s and everything. Man, there's so much "obey us" propaganda. Noo
08-13-2009 09:22 AM
IllusoryDeath Away
~become away~

sio Wrote:This is my first time starting school knowing about s-s and everything. Man, there's so much "obey us" propaganda. Noo

Same here, actually. Looking at the forms I had to sign for school with this fresh-perspective I got from S-S really made me angry.
08-13-2009 09:24 AM
Amortisatie Offline
Fanatic

IllusoryDeath Wrote:
sio Wrote:This is my first time starting school knowing about s-s and everything. Man, there's so much "obey us" propaganda. Noo

Same here, actually. Looking at the forms I had to sign for school with this fresh-perspective I got from S-S really made me angry.

Aren't (american) schools today molded from the prussian school system?

“The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.”
― Neil deGrasse Tyson
08-13-2009 09:31 AM
IllusoryDeath Away
~become away~

Yes, says so here:
http://www.school-survival.net/articles/...t_Fine.php
08-13-2009 09:40 AM
Amortisatie Offline
Fanatic

OOHHH, I forgot about that

We should have shown this to killjoy/mrwednesday

― Neil deGrasse Tyson
08-13-2009 09:41 AM
aerftghyjk Offline
Fanatic

Now that we are in school, why not start our plans? Where to start...
08-13-2009 11:11 AM
NowhereWoman Offline
Pariah

Given 11 thank(s) in 8 post(s)

I've never started school with an unschooled perspective so yeah, I'm pissed at this rulebook they've sent out to all of us.

Quote:All student-operated vehicles may be subjected to examination by a narcotics detection dog at any time. An alert by a detection canine typically will provide a lawful reason for school officials to access a student vehicle and search its contents. Students who desire that their vehicle not be examined by a detection canine should not drive themselves to school, nor park on school grounds.

Quote:CAUSES FOR DISCIPLINARY ACTION
DEFIANCE, DISRESPECT, ETC. (insubordination or defiance twoards school employees, either in language or action)
OTHER OFFENCES (serious infractions of BEHAVIOR STANDARDS, NOT IDENTIFIED ABOVE, .....)

Quote:in recent years the courts have emphasized the constitutional principle that students do have certain (I bolded that) rights when they attend our schools. Such rights include freedom of expression, speech, and equal educational opportunity. Along with these rights come additional responsibilities on the part of the students. The staff of the school system will work with the students to help them understand their rights and responsibilities and to grow to maturity with additional respect for fairness, justice, and truth.

Fairness, justice, and truth? More like THEIR version of fairness, their version of justice, THEIR version of truth.

Quote:Rules and regulations are established to maintain an atmosphere conducive to learning. Students who fail to comply with these rules and regulations will be counseled, reprimanded, suspended, or expelled and or arrested as the laws are applied.

I love the phrase 'environment/atmosphere conducive to learning,' because it's such a crock.
i was yelled at, scolded, given detention, berated every day of first grade by my teacher, other students, and then myself as my self esteem tanked. No
that's an 'atmosphere conducive to learning?' Wtf
Having security guards stalking you around the yard at lunch is an 'atmosphere conducive to learning?'
Being afraid of going to court because you refuse to go somewhere you didn't truly agree to go to?
Sigh. Silly administration, with their fancy words, thinking they're so smart... Laugh

Oh, Oh, and my favorite!!!!!!!!!

Quote:SIT-INS, WALK-ONS, ETC. (violations of rules governing lawful assemblage on school grounds or at school events; failure to disperse)

Sorry, that one always cracks me up. Laugh Laugh Laugh
but in all seriousness...
I don't want to sign this thing..... No

An it Harm None, Do What Ye Will
An it Harm, Do Only What Ye Must

Lighten up! This life was made for experimenting, making mistakes, falling on our faces, and standing up to do it all over again.
Live for Learning.

Carla Franklin may be a whore. She may be a wonderful, kind, moral woman. Seeing as I don't know her personally, I cannot know for sure. However, I find her actions (suing Google, requesting the personal info of her critics, getting angry over random internet idiocy that she should ignore and be bigger than, trying to get this site in trouble because of a few users' commentary on the situation, etc.) pretty ridiculous and unwarranted. If she didn't want people to to be talking about/judging her, well 1. that's impossible, she's a human, and 2. she shouldn't have been a model or agreed to be on film. AND 3. she DEFINITELY shouldn't have sued Google and made all this fuss over a few random idiots whom she probably won't ever know expressing their opinion. Mmkay? MMKAY.
08-13-2009 11:52 AM
IllusoryDeath Away
~become away~

I didn't want to sign mine, either. It didn't sound as bad as the ones you guys have been posting, but there was still a load of bullshit on every page.

Quote:Fairness, justice, and truth? More like THEIR version of fairness, their version of justice, THEIR version of truth.

Exactly. & how are we supposed to learn about those things when they cannot even teach us math or chemistry or the like? Seriously, WHAT THE FUCK.
08-13-2009 12:42 PM
NowhereWoman Offline
Pariah

Given 11 thank(s) in 8 post(s)

I just hate how there's no reason for the degrading language they use. and they don't even try to explain.
if I were going of my own will, it wouldn't be such a big deal. I'd accept the fact that if I want the 'benefits' of this, I'll have to abide by the rules. But the fact that it's mandatory....
Noo

An it Harm None, Do What Ye Will
An it Harm, Do Only What Ye Must

Lighten up! This life was made for experimenting, making mistakes, falling on our faces, and standing up to do it all over again.
Live for Learning.

Carla Franklin may be a whore. She may be a wonderful, kind, moral woman. Seeing as I don't know her personally, I cannot know for sure. However, I find her actions (suing Google, requesting the personal info of her critics, getting angry over random internet idiocy that she should ignore and be bigger than, trying to get this site in trouble because of a few users' commentary on the situation, etc.) pretty ridiculous and unwarranted. If she didn't want people to to be talking about/judging her, well 1. that's impossible, she's a human, and 2. she shouldn't have been a model or agreed to be on film. AND 3. she DEFINITELY shouldn't have sued Google and made all this fuss over a few random idiots whom she probably won't ever know expressing their opinion. Mmkay? MMKAY.
08-13-2009 01:14 PM
IllusoryDeath Away
~become away~

mangareadr Wrote:I just hate how there's no reason for the degrading language they use. and they don't even try to explain.
if I were going of my own will, it wouldn't be such a big deal. I'd accept the fact that if I want the 'benefits' of this, I'll have to abide by the rules. But the fact that it's mandatory....
Noo

Oooooooh I geeeet it....you're my doppelganger, right? IT IS THE ONLY EXPLANATION!! O.O

Aaaaanywho, they do sound like freaking dictators in the manuals/paperwork. I suppose they want to come off as being professional but, seriously? It basically just makes them look like arrogant bastards because it's all "Blah blah blah DO WHAT WE SAY OR ELSE blah blah NO FOOLING AROUND blah MUST FOLLOW RULES EXPLICITLY OR WE SEND THE COPPERS ON YO' ASSES," ....only in moar fancy-shpeak. Rolleyes

We are already forced to go there, why make it even more like a prison?
08-13-2009 02:14 PM
aerftghyjk Offline
Fanatic

My teachers used "Flippin burgers" today

facepalm.jpg

it was the first time I heard that in a while.
08-14-2009 07:42 AM
Fire Elf Offline
Fanatic

Given 30 thank(s) in 25 post(s)

All the pro-school idiots use that argument. You must have not met one in a while.

The only good signature is a dead signature.
08-14-2009 08:45 AM
Reptorian Offline
Fanatic

Given 18 thank(s) in 13 post(s)

Fire Elf Wrote:Most pro-school idiots use that argument. You must have not met one in a while.

Fixed.

ZZZ...
08-15-2009 05:16 AM
Fire Elf Offline
Fanatic

Given 30 thank(s) in 25 post(s)

same difference. Even if they don't refer to it as "flipping burgers" they'll always talk about how you can't go anywhere without school, or some bullshit like that.

The only good signature is a dead signature.
08-15-2009 05:36 AM

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  What are you most dreading about school starting again? Symbol 49 19,711 01-11-2014 07:30 AM
Last Post: craxyguy562
  closer to leaving school and starting a new one. overhills high NineCrimes 13 4,154 02-08-2012 01:11 PM
Last Post: NineCrimes
  Starting at a new school =] Coma Girl 5 2,110 01-22-2008 05:38 AM
Last Post: SoulRiser