RIP School Survival Forums
August 2001 - June 2017

The School Survival Forums are permanently retired. If you need help with quitting school, unsupportive parents or anything else, there is a list of resources on the Help Page.

If you want to write about your experiences in school, you can write on our blog.

To everyone who joined these forums at some point, and got discouraged by the negativity and left after a while (or even got literally scared off): I'm sorry.

I wasn't good enough at encouraging people to be kinder, and removing people who refuse to be kind. Encouraging people is hard, and removing people creates conflict, and I hate conflict... so that's why I wasn't better at it.

I was a very, very sensitive teen. The atmosphere of this forum as it is now, if it had existed in 1996, would probably have upset me far more than it would have helped.

I can handle quite a lot of negativity and even abuse now, but that isn't the point. I want to help people. I want to help the people who need it the most, and I want to help people like the 1996 version of me.

I'm still figuring out the best way to do that, but as it is now, these forums are doing more harm than good, and I can't keep running them.

Thank you to the few people who have tried to understand my point of view so far. I really, really appreciate you guys. You are beautiful people.

Everyone else: If after everything I've said so far, you still don't understand my motivations, I think it's unlikely that you will. We're just too different. Maybe someday in the future it might make sense, but until then, there's no point in arguing about it. I don't have the time or the energy for arguing anymore. I will focus my time and energy on people who support me, and those who need help.

-SoulRiser

The forums are mostly read-only and are in a maintenance/testing phase, before being permanently archived. Please use this time to get the contact details of people you'd like to keep in touch with. My contact details are here.

Please do not make a mirror copy of the forums in their current state - things will still change, and some people have requested to be able to edit or delete some of their personal info.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
College
Prince Rilian Offline
attic fan

Given 57 thank(s) in 47 post(s)
College

I quit college. Finally. I finished this semester, and I had been signed up for classes for the summer, but I dropped them. I'm gonna try to become a pharmacy technician, which doesn't require college. I was only like 9 classes (two semesters) away from finishing a BA in math, but god two semesters is FOR FUCKING EVER when it's something you hate so much you start wanting to stab random people next to you in the elevator. And in further response to the donkeys who keep telling me I should "just finish", a BA in math is FUCKING USELESS. I started looking into it last semester, and the only thing you can do with a BA in math is become a teacher or get a Ph.D. I have nothing against Ph.D.s in principle, but I fucking hate math so I definitely would not want to go to graduate school in that subject, and probably not any other subject either, because Yuck , but I mean if other people want to go to graduate school, that's fine for them.

Anyway. I think it's possible that I might want to do college in the future, if I don't like the pharmacy technician thing or if it doesn't work out, but it definitely won't be in the subject of math, and I need time to figure out what field I could possibly want to go into. I hate that we are told to just go to college without having any kind of plan, yeah, just go throw thousands of dollars down the toilet while you "figure out what you want to do".

So yeah. Fuck college. And I recommend to anyone still in high school, don't go to college immediately after high school, and if you think you want to go, make sure it actually fits into a real, specific plan for a career, and god re-evaluate constantly if it's actually worth it. Worth it emotionally, worth it financially, and whatever else.

I've been seeing all these billboards with pictures of smiling minorities and the words, "I have a plan for college. What about you?" And I just want to burn those billboards to the ground. Why are they pushing this nonsense that everyone needs to go to college? UALR has a fucking CONSTRUCTION WORK degree. Because everyone needs to go to college. Yes, I'm a construction worker, BUT HERE'S MY DEGREE. And this other guy has a degree in taxi-driving. Oh, also, you know that "criminal justice" shit? That's another example of a degree program that exists just to fulfill this notion that anyone who doesn't go to college is a failure. You don't have to go to college to be a police officer. You just have to get a high school diploma or GED, and be 18+ years old. But they made up this criminal justice degree so that aspiring cops can go to college too. Maybe next there'll be a degree in dog-walking.

Life is good. Jeta është e mirë. Goingcrazy
Die lewe is goed.
Het leven is goed.

Zoidberg: What is it, already? What's the cause of your anger?
Leela: I guess I would have to say, I hate you!
05-30-2011 01:23 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
RaiserZero Offline
Revolutionary

Given 2 thank(s) in 2 post(s)
Re: College

I think it's great you're actually choosing your own path, unlike those who just go to college because they are told to.
So many people can't choose for themselves it's sad. Still, I hope what you do now will bring you good fortune in the future.

All men who have achieved great things have been great dreamers.
05-30-2011 02:10 PM
HeartofShadows Offline
Fanatic

Given 80 thank(s) in 73 post(s)

Well your highness I have a few things that may make you feel better about your decision.
Not sure where you live but I assume its US.

http://studentloanstories.wordpress.com ... e-country/
http://www.savvysugar.com/Graduates-Fle ... ns-2419216

http://butidideverythingrightorsoithoug ... untry.html

[Image: WARZONES_subs_hostility.png]
image hosting jpg
05-31-2011 01:05 AM
Malicious M Offline
Rebel

Given 0 thank(s) in 0 post(s)

Yeah, fuck college. It sucks. They say they want you to succeed but they fail people like crazy and rarely give you second chances. I was going through emotional issues with my family when I was getting D's and I had the proof for it( I was in consuling) and they STILL denied me fin. aid.( although it could be 'cause I sent the documents to the wrong place or they just didn't get it. Fin. aid.'s a bitch). Anyway, I might go back when I get a job( I have a cert. in hospitality) so I don't have to pay the gov. back. And thanks for those links HeartofShadows.
06-28-2011 01:07 AM
Elfy Offline
Fanatic

Given 64 thank(s) in 41 post(s)

What kind of colleges have you got in America? Why the fuck do they teach that go to college or fail? From most of your guys posts that's whats coming through.

I've never really felt that or been told that. Over here they actively encourage apprenticeships and stuff, not 'go to college or fail'. The colleges are decent over here and are free, U.S colleges sound like complete and utter shit.

And what the fuck, a degree in taxi driving?

RIP SCHOOL-SURVIVAL 04/07/2019
[Image: tumblr_lpjpoqOyQ91qb8nljo1_500.gif]
06-28-2011 01:23 AM
HeartofShadows Offline
Fanatic

Given 80 thank(s) in 73 post(s)

Elfy Wrote:What kind of colleges have you got in America? Why the fuck do they teach that go to college or fail? From most of your guys posts that's whats coming through.

I've never really felt that or been told that. Over here they actively encourage apprenticeships and stuff, not 'go to college or fail'. The colleges are decent over here and are free, U.S colleges sound like complete and utter shit.

And what the fuck, a degree in taxi driving?

Back in the day you could just take up a trade but nowadays the corporate elite wiped all those out and then made laws stricter so you couldn't and pretty much encouraged everybody to lick their balls until they get something from them. This country is just a sinking ship.

[Image: WARZONES_subs_hostility.png]
image hosting jpg
06-28-2011 07:39 AM
Aya Offline
Banned

Given 45 thank(s) in 36 post(s)

Elfy Wrote:What kind of colleges have you got in America? Why the fuck do they teach that go to college or fail?

Because the college board (the company that administers the SAT's) has perpetuated the lie that college graduates earn over one million dollars more than high school graduates in a lifetime. And in America success = $$$ and nothing else.

The problem is that number is inflated. Actual research suggests that the amount of extra income earned by a college graduate is $600,000 per lifetime, and that's assuming;

1) That you graduate in four years (average is 6)
2) That you have little to no student loan debt (average debt is $25K)
3) That you work continually throughtout your 43 year working life (22+43 = 65) with no periods of unemployment.
4) That the economy is strong enough for you to not only be employed but to earn that extra $600K

Quote:Back in the day you could just take up a trade but nowadays the corporate elite wiped all those out

No they haven't. My brother has an septic, plumbing and escavation business that's worth well over a million dollars. All he has is a few tradesman licences and an honorable discharge from the USMC.
06-28-2011 07:58 AM
UnschoolShqiponjë Offline
Fanatic

Given 221 thank(s) in 148 post(s)

Ayliana Wrote:
Elfy Wrote:What kind of colleges have you got in America? Why the fuck do they teach that go to college or fail?

Because the college board (the company that administers the SAT's) has perpetuated the lie that college graduates earn over one million dollars more than high school graduates in a lifetime. And in America success = $$$ and nothing else.

The problem is that number is inflated. Actual research suggests that the amount of extra income earned by a college graduate is $600,000 per lifetime, and that's assuming;

1) That you graduate in four years (average is 6)
2) That you have little to no student loan debt (average debt is $25K)
3) That you work continually throughtout your 43 year working life (22+43 = 65) with no periods of unemployment.
4) That the economy is strong enough for you to not only be employed but to earn that extra $600K

Quote:Back in the day you could just take up a trade but nowadays the corporate elite wiped all those out

No they haven't. My brother has an septic, plumbing and escavation business that's worth well over a million dollars. All he has is a few tradesman licences and an honorable discharge from the USMC.

Exactly... in my opinion colleges are huge money wasters for most degrees. Most things that require a degree are better taught with actual work experience... not sitting in a classroom wasting money on 300 dollar books that you barely use.

Live until you die
[Image: Untitled-1.png]
06-28-2011 09:34 AM
Prince Rilian Offline
attic fan

Given 57 thank(s) in 47 post(s)

I don't think everyone in this country feels the same pressure to GO TO COLLEGE that I did. I think it's more common with middle-class people, which is what my parents are. I had a lot of friends in high school who were below the poverty line, and they all just got jobs at wal-mart and stuff after high school. And had babies, which is something else middle-class parents frown upon. You're supposed to go to college, and then wait till you're 30 to have babies.

Life is good. Jeta është e mirë. Goingcrazy
Die lewe is goed.
Het leven is goed.

Zoidberg: What is it, already? What's the cause of your anger?
Leela: I guess I would have to say, I hate you!
06-30-2011 04:25 PM