RIP School Survival Forums
August 2001 - June 2017

The School Survival Forums are permanently retired. If you need help with quitting school, unsupportive parents or anything else, there is a list of resources on the Help Page.

If you want to write about your experiences in school, you can write on our blog.

To everyone who joined these forums at some point, and got discouraged by the negativity and left after a while (or even got literally scared off): I'm sorry.

I wasn't good enough at encouraging people to be kinder, and removing people who refuse to be kind. Encouraging people is hard, and removing people creates conflict, and I hate conflict... so that's why I wasn't better at it.

I was a very, very sensitive teen. The atmosphere of this forum as it is now, if it had existed in 1996, would probably have upset me far more than it would have helped.

I can handle quite a lot of negativity and even abuse now, but that isn't the point. I want to help people. I want to help the people who need it the most, and I want to help people like the 1996 version of me.

I'm still figuring out the best way to do that, but as it is now, these forums are doing more harm than good, and I can't keep running them.

Thank you to the few people who have tried to understand my point of view so far. I really, really appreciate you guys. You are beautiful people.

Everyone else: If after everything I've said so far, you still don't understand my motivations, I think it's unlikely that you will. We're just too different. Maybe someday in the future it might make sense, but until then, there's no point in arguing about it. I don't have the time or the energy for arguing anymore. I will focus my time and energy on people who support me, and those who need help.

-SoulRiser

The forums are mostly read-only and are in a maintenance/testing phase, before being permanently archived. Please use this time to get the contact details of people you'd like to keep in touch with. My contact details are here.

Please do not make a mirror copy of the forums in their current state - things will still change, and some people have requested to be able to edit or delete some of their personal info.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Universal Healthcare
Bob Dole Offline
Fanatic

Given 23 thank(s) in 19 post(s)
Universal Healthcare

So, everyone, what are your thoughts on the current raging debate over universal healthcare in the U.S.?

For those outside of the U.S. who already have universal healthcare, what do you think of your systems?

Personally, I think I'd like universal healthcare, despite the increase in taxes that will inevitably come. Shit, it's coming anyways, might as well set up a decent healthcare system now. And I already know that the "decline in quality of care" is bullshit. Fuck, I'd like to see it get any worse. Saw a guy who'd been mauled by a rather large animal wait an hour once in the ER. Wasn't bleeding horribly, but still.

Also, the shit the insurance industry gets away with is unreal.

K
S
08-14-2009 07:45 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
John Tuttle Offline
Fanatic

Given 5 thank(s) in 5 post(s)
Re: Universal Healthcare

Yea, healthcare in America is quite frankly horrible for a first-world nation. Personally, I think the best system is a combination of government and private health car, like they have in France. That way, if you can't afford private health care, you can have a good gov't plan, and if you have the money and want all the extra features you can get a private plan to add on to the gov't one.

[Image: funny-gifs-wax-on-wax-owl.gif]
08-15-2009 09:38 AM
Freeman Offline
Pariah

Given 1 thank(s) in 1 post(s)

john tuttle Wrote:Yea, healthcare in America is quite frankly horrible for a first-world nation. Personally, I think the best system is a combination of government and private health car, like they have in France. That way, if you can't afford private health care, you can have a good gov't plan, and if you have the money and want all the extra features you can get a private plan to add on to the gov't one.

Agreed. The only thing i'm against in government ran healthcare is all the paper work and useless shit that would go with it.
08-15-2009 12:01 PM
aaaaaaasd Offline
Grorious Moddu

Given 50 thank(s) in 38 post(s)

We have the NHS over here in England, where everyone is entitled to medical care. We also have private medical firms, but they are stupidly expensive. Unfortunately, healthcare is also entitled to complete fucks who spend the whole night drinking and are then suprised when they are told their stomach needs removing.

In Religious Studies, we were shown a video of a documentary on Channel 4 about how binge drinking, partying and eating far too much and generally living an unhealthy lifestyle are killing the NHS. There was a guy on there who drove far too fast on a dual carriage way and crashed. He was uninjured, but his friend was nearly killed. 4 months after the accident, the injured guy had recovered, and the friends were sitting in a pub. The guy driving the car didn't give a shit about what had happened to his friend. Hmm.

One magazine in America published an article saying if Stephen Hawking was born here, the NHS would have let him die. They got every fact they printed WRONG. Stephen Hawking was born in the UK. Any private medical firm would have refused to take him. Stephen Hawking was very angry with the magazine, and they later had to retract their statements. The arcitle (heavily edited after how hard the realized they failed) is here: http://www.ibdeditorials.com/IBDArticle ... 3006516877
08-15-2009 09:01 PM
returnal Away
cold like minnesota (brrr!)

Given 29 thank(s) in 26 post(s)

IBD is one of the most laughably biased magazines in the world.

And universal healthcare? Do want.

woah dude
dude woah
08-15-2009 11:03 PM
Thought Criminal Offline
Frame 313

Given 106 thank(s) in 80 post(s)

I think it is DEFINITELY worth it. all the right wing conservatives are blabbering on about how Obama will euthanize the old and the quality of health care will go down. if they don't want a health care plan, fine by me. they can keep paying out the ass for Humana or whatever shitty program they have. all the care and money will be spent on me when I get injured and don't have to pay a fucking dime.
also I don't know if you guys saw it but at one of the town hall meetings Obama had a guy who worked for an insurance company stood up and voiced he's concerns that this plan was being unfair and taking money away from insurance agencies. the president told him not to worry and that the insurance companies would not be left out of this. which i think is retarded. I'm pretty sure I speak on behalf of every sane person in America, I HAVE NO FUCKING PROBLEM WITH LEAVING OUT INSURANCE COMPANIES. the last thing we need in our new system are these blood sucking leeches.
08-15-2009 11:28 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
John Tuttle Offline
Fanatic

The thing that pisses me off is all the douchebags yelling things like "OBAMA GONNA KILL YOUR GRANDPARENTZ!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!" See, previous republican lies have been at least based in a shred of truth, but that one is just plain bullshit.

08-16-2009 08:34 AM
Thought Criminal Offline
Frame 313

I seriously get some good laughs about these things that the republicans come up with. it's like watching a 5 year old trying to lie to his parents.
08-16-2009 10:22 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
John Tuttle Offline
Fanatic

thought criminal Wrote:I seriously get some good laughs about these things that the republicans come up with. it's like watching a 5 year old trying to lie to his parents.

I watched a CNN interview with Newt Gingrich. I can't find the video, but here's basically how it went:

Newt - this is a bill that advocates killing senior citizens deemed unworthy!!
CNN - actually, there is no part in the bill that says anything about killing people
Newt - what Obama want's to do is kill off expensive patients
CNN - no, nowhere does it say that. did you read the bill?
Newt - its like fucking 900000 pages? can anyone read it?!?!?!?!

08-17-2009 03:48 PM
over_9000 Offline
Renegade

Given 1 thank(s) in 1 post(s)

Here in Serbia everyone who is employed, people under the age of 18, disabled people and possibly someone else receives free healthcare, with only needing to pay a small amount in some cases. It works quite well.
08-17-2009 10:19 PM
Thought Criminal Offline
Frame 313

Yeah but here in America we would rather keep paying out the ass for shitty healthcare. I mean obama might EUTHANIZE our senior citizens!!! actually on second though YEAH YOU GO OBAMA!! LETS KILL THOSE OLD PEOPLE, NO MORE PEOPLE DRIVING 2 MILES AN HOUR IN THE FAST LANE!!!
08-18-2009 03:06 AM
Rebelnerd Offline
Fanatic

Given 113 thank(s) in 97 post(s)

I just don't get it. Eight years of Bush, the closest thing we've had to fascism since Nixon, and it looks like the second civil war is going to break out over health care? I mean come on, I can see why some people might be worried about increasing the national debt. But these people get so fucking angry over it, stockpiling their guns and joining militias and calling Obama an evil Kenyan communist nigger who's going to kill their grandparents. I think a national health care plan is a good idea, but I'd still like to see a civilized political debate over it. Not these town hall lunatics sending in death threats over an alternate medical system.

Gotta love America. War? Eh. Wiretaps? Whatever. Torture? Yawn. But try and pass a tiny tax increase to keep poor children from dying of easily curable diseases, and you get a rebirth of the fucking militia movement.

I think Buenaventura Durruti is a pretty cool guy. eh kills fascists and doesnt afraid of ruins.
The quickest way to kill a revolution is to wait for it.
08-18-2009 03:55 AM
Thought Criminal Offline
Frame 313

That's America for you. Noo
08-18-2009 04:28 AM
NowhereWoman Offline
Pariah

Given 11 thank(s) in 8 post(s)

I don't even understand the plan because I can't find anything about it that isn't so complicated not even the politicians could understand it, completely biased for it or against it, or made no sense whatsoever.

As far as I can understand, (correct me if I'm wrong), the Government is going to have a hopefully affordable form of health insurance that would allow those unable to buy from private companies a chance to buy health insurance for a lower price.
i don't know what the effects on taxes/economy/inflation would be, I don't know the specifics of this government-controlled health coverage plan, I don't see why it's necessary, etc, etc..

I just don't like the idea of the government controlling/monopolizing an industry(even though they say it won't, I think it will)

An it Harm None, Do What Ye Will
An it Harm, Do Only What Ye Must

Lighten up! This life was made for experimenting, making mistakes, falling on our faces, and standing up to do it all over again.
Live for Learning.

Carla Franklin may be a whore. She may be a wonderful, kind, moral woman. Seeing as I don't know her personally, I cannot know for sure. However, I find her actions (suing Google, requesting the personal info of her critics, getting angry over random internet idiocy that she should ignore and be bigger than, trying to get this site in trouble because of a few users' commentary on the situation, etc.) pretty ridiculous and unwarranted. If she didn't want people to to be talking about/judging her, well 1. that's impossible, she's a human, and 2. she shouldn't have been a model or agreed to be on film. AND 3. she DEFINITELY shouldn't have sued Google and made all this fuss over a few random idiots whom she probably won't ever know expressing their opinion. Mmkay? MMKAY.
08-18-2009 08:07 AM
Thought Criminal Offline
Frame 313

I wish they would just totally eliminate insurance, it's a big fucking scam.
08-18-2009 08:34 AM
John Tuttle Offline
Fanatic

Rebelnerd Wrote:I just don't get it. Eight years of Bush, the closest thing we've had to fascism since Nixon, and it looks like the second civil war is going to break out over health care? I mean come on, I can see why some people might be worried about increasing the national debt. But these people get so fucking angry over it, stockpiling their guns and joining militias and calling Obama an evil Kenyan communist nigger who's going to kill their grandparents. I think a national health care plan is a good idea, but I'd still like to see a civilized political debate over it. Not these town hall lunatics sending in death threats over an alternate medical system.

Gotta love America. War? Eh. Wiretaps? Whatever. Torture? Yawn. But try and pass a tiny tax increase to keep poor children from dying of easily curable diseases, and you get a rebirth of the fucking militia movement.

Now all we have do do is somehow send this to all Republican leaders.

08-18-2009 02:36 PM
Thought Criminal Offline
Frame 313

yeah but then they would probably pass it of as a threat and use it to end a good health care plan.
08-18-2009 08:28 PM
Milk2Go Offline
Fanatic

Given 41 thank(s) in 29 post(s)

People in my town (a total of three people, to be exact) were protesting the health care plan. They had pictures of Obama with Hitler's mustache photoshopped on and swastikas everywhere, saying he's a Nazi and stuff. It was hilarious.
08-19-2009 04:00 AM
John Tuttle Offline
Fanatic

BobManPerson Wrote:People in my town (a total of three people, to be exact) were protesting the health care plan. They had pictures of Obama with Hitler's mustache photoshopped on and swastikas everywhere, saying he's a Nazi and stuff. It was hilarious.

I don't even like Obama that much but I atill think all those people comparing him to Hitler are supreme morons.

08-19-2009 04:35 AM
Thought Criminal Offline
Frame 313

john tuttle Wrote:I don't even like Obama that much but I atill think all those people comparing him to Hitler are supreme morons.
this. it just amazes me the ignorance of some people.
08-19-2009 06:31 AM
classclown Offline
Fanatic

Given 7 thank(s) in 7 post(s)

im not for it. just cause i dont feel right with the goverment controling that. anyways TC you pay for it through taxes. so you well be paying more then a dime. and whoever said they want both. thats bad to cause for the people who dont want to have obama care they would have to pay for there own healthcare. plus obama care through taxes.

life is just blah blah blah. we hope for blah, and sometimes we find it. but mostly its blah. and waiting for blah. and hoping you were right about the blahs you made. and when you think you just got the whole blah damn thing figured out, and your surrounded by the ones you blah. death shows up and blah blah blah.
-weeds-

Death may be the greatest of all human blessings. -socrates-

Schooling us to prepare us for the career in need
Not caring about our interests and dreams to heed
08-19-2009 02:45 PM
kylemw13 Offline
Revolutionary

Given 3 thank(s) in 3 post(s)

I'm not for it cause I can't understand how the fuck obamas gonna make it work.

The United States is a nation of laws: badly written and randomly enforced.
- Frank Zappa
I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure.
- Clarence Darro
Reader, suppose you were an idiot. And suppose you were a member of Congress. But I repeat myself.
» I would like to live in Manchester, England. The transition between Manchester and death would be unnoticeable.
- Mark Twain
When people are free to do as they please, they usually imitate each other.
- Eric Hoffer
08-19-2009 04:13 PM
John Tuttle Offline
Fanatic

While you do pay for it through taxes, the amount will be much smaller than insurance premiums. Though I will agree with you on the fact that our government has a way of turning everything it touches in to a inefficient bureaucratic shitbox.

08-19-2009 04:16 PM
Linkin Park Offline
Rebel

Given 0 thank(s) in 0 post(s)

We need Universal Healthcare. I think it's sad, that we're the world's richest country but can't afford to take care of our citizens.

I can live with the taxes.

[Image: 72eyz7.jpg]
08-19-2009 04:24 PM
aaaaaaasd Offline
Grorious Moddu

Given 50 thank(s) in 38 post(s)

Obama hasn't said he's going to get rid of the private medical companies. He's just offering an alternative to people who can't afford to get expensive treatment.
08-19-2009 06:56 PM
Rebelnerd Offline
Fanatic

XplodingNoggin Wrote:Obama hasn't said he's going to get rid of the private medical companies. He's just offering an alternative to people who can't afford to get expensive treatment.
This. I still don't understand how many times he has to fucking say this before people stop shrieking at him in town halls that the government is trying to "take their health insurance away."

I think Buenaventura Durruti is a pretty cool guy. eh kills fascists and doesnt afraid of ruins.
08-19-2009 11:50 PM
returnal Away
cold like minnesota (brrr!)

Given 29 thank(s) in 26 post(s)

Rebelnerd Wrote:
XplodingNoggin Wrote:Obama hasn't said he's going to get rid of the private medical companies. He's just offering an alternative to people who can't afford to get expensive treatment.
This. I still don't understand how many times he has to fucking say this before people stop shrieking at him in town halls that the government is trying to "take their health insurance away."
/thread

woah dude
dude woah
08-20-2009 01:50 AM
NowhereWoman Offline
Pariah

Given 11 thank(s) in 8 post(s)

kylemw13 Wrote:I'm not for it cause I can't understand how the fuck obamas gonna make it work.

THIS.

An it Harm None, Do What Ye Will
An it Harm, Do Only What Ye Must

Lighten up! This life was made for experimenting, making mistakes, falling on our faces, and standing up to do it all over again.
Live for Learning.

Carla Franklin may be a whore. She may be a wonderful, kind, moral woman. Seeing as I don't know her personally, I cannot know for sure. However, I find her actions (suing Google, requesting the personal info of her critics, getting angry over random internet idiocy that she should ignore and be bigger than, trying to get this site in trouble because of a few users' commentary on the situation, etc.) pretty ridiculous and unwarranted. If she didn't want people to to be talking about/judging her, well 1. that's impossible, she's a human, and 2. she shouldn't have been a model or agreed to be on film. AND 3. she DEFINITELY shouldn't have sued Google and made all this fuss over a few random idiots whom she probably won't ever know expressing their opinion. Mmkay? MMKAY.
08-20-2009 05:35 AM
Jackass McAwesome Offline
Fanatic

Given 24 thank(s) in 17 post(s)

mangareadr Wrote:
kylemw13 Wrote:I'm not for it cause I can't understand how the fuck obamas gonna make it work.

THIS.

For serious. I just can't see how it's gonna work.
08-20-2009 05:57 AM
Rebelnerd Offline
Fanatic

well, how about trying to find out how it might work before rejecting anything you don't immediately understand?

08-20-2009 01:07 PM

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Universal Health Care Geeksta 46 7,669 05-30-2011 09:09 AM
Last Post: gore goroth
  Healthcare Thought Criminal 29 8,891 01-01-2011 11:13 AM
Last Post: LOON_ATTIC
  Obama's healthcare bill passed aerftghyjk 82 13,519 04-19-2010 06:55 AM
Last Post: Swift
  Universal Truth Swift 4 1,569 11-06-2009 02:06 AM
Last Post: Vatman