RIP School Survival Forums
August 2001 - June 2017

The School Survival Forums are permanently retired. If you need help with quitting school, unsupportive parents or anything else, there is a list of resources on the Help Page.

If you want to write about your experiences in school, you can write on our blog.

To everyone who joined these forums at some point, and got discouraged by the negativity and left after a while (or even got literally scared off): I'm sorry.

I wasn't good enough at encouraging people to be kinder, and removing people who refuse to be kind. Encouraging people is hard, and removing people creates conflict, and I hate conflict... so that's why I wasn't better at it.

I was a very, very sensitive teen. The atmosphere of this forum as it is now, if it had existed in 1996, would probably have upset me far more than it would have helped.

I can handle quite a lot of negativity and even abuse now, but that isn't the point. I want to help people. I want to help the people who need it the most, and I want to help people like the 1996 version of me.

I'm still figuring out the best way to do that, but as it is now, these forums are doing more harm than good, and I can't keep running them.

Thank you to the few people who have tried to understand my point of view so far. I really, really appreciate you guys. You are beautiful people.

Everyone else: If after everything I've said so far, you still don't understand my motivations, I think it's unlikely that you will. We're just too different. Maybe someday in the future it might make sense, but until then, there's no point in arguing about it. I don't have the time or the energy for arguing anymore. I will focus my time and energy on people who support me, and those who need help.

-SoulRiser

The forums are mostly read-only and are in a maintenance/testing phase, before being permanently archived. Please use this time to get the contact details of people you'd like to keep in touch with. My contact details are here.

Please do not make a mirror copy of the forums in their current state - things will still change, and some people have requested to be able to edit or delete some of their personal info.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Adults
Willows Offline
Defiant

Given 1 thank(s) in 1 post(s)
Adults

One thing that really amuses me are all the sad old people who get jealous of the younger generation for actually having a chance to do something with their life. Usually when old people get together and start talking about their kids or just kids in general, they might mention that a kid wants to do X and start laughing at them for it. They'll bring up reasons why it's just too hard, or silly, and inevitably they'll mention something like, “I was like that when you were younger.”, “They grow out of it.”, “All kids go through that stage.”

Fuck you. Just because you fucked up your life doesn't mean that's how everyone will turn out. You're just reacting that way because you're secretly jealous, and you have a hurt ego. You see yourself in this kid, you see the chance you had, then you look at where you are now, and you hate yourself for it. Because of this, you delude yourself into thinking “that's just how life is”, and make up every excuse so that you won't ever have to admit to yourself, “well, that was my fault”.

That's why I don't trust advice from self-absorbed, insecure older people because they're just speaking from their hurt ego. The more eager someone is to give advice, the more likely it is they're just giving advice to protect their ego from being hurt again. They give advice to validate their own shitty life and all their regrets. One of the last thing humans will do is admit to themselves that just maybe, they were wrong all along.
08-16-2009 11:50 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
 Thanks given by: Superkamiguru
psychopath Offline
Fanatic

Given 60 thank(s) in 54 post(s)
Re: Adults

Don't hate adults, it'll just make you look immature. You'll be an adult one day too.
08-17-2009 01:51 AM
AWOL Offline
The Spooning Bard

Given 36 thank(s) in 34 post(s)

This belongs in the School Talk & Venting Section...

[Image: 9be30a7.png]
[Image: LyingFloraBanner.jpg]
08-17-2009 06:48 PM
The Desert Fox Offline
Waging war with conviction

Given 102 thank(s) in 75 post(s)

Amen.

@AWOL: This belongs in Youth Rights.

Hidden stuff:
(11-27-2011 01:00 PM)psychopath Wrote:  
(11-27-2011 10:52 AM)Efs Wrote:  Our Army is more professional than Amerika. Smile
Except ours isn't allowed to have guns
CrayolaColours Wrote:That post owned. TDF wins post of the year.
Faby Wrote:
krissy Wrote:dessert fox
Mmm, flambéed vulpine.
"There is no enemy, there is no victory, only boys who lost their lives in the sand."
[/center]
08-18-2009 09:18 AM
AWOL Offline
The Spooning Bard

Given 36 thank(s) in 34 post(s)

No, this belongs in the School-Talk and Venting section. It is clearly a rant, it isn't helpful in the least to the Youth Rights cause, and it's incredibly immature as well.

[Image: 9be30a7.png]
[Image: LyingFloraBanner.jpg]
08-18-2009 04:14 PM
psychopath Offline
Fanatic

Given 60 thank(s) in 54 post(s)

AWOL Wrote:No, this belongs in the School-Talk and Venting section. It is clearly a rant, it isn't helpful in the least to the Youth Rights cause, and it's incredibly immature as well.

Indeed
08-18-2009 04:58 PM
username01462781 Offline
Pariah

Given 8 thank(s) in 7 post(s)

It doesn't matter what age an asshole is, they will always be an asshole.
08-18-2009 06:02 PM
aerftghyjk Offline
Fanatic

Given 17 thank(s) in 13 post(s)

Immature or not, he made a good point there.
08-18-2009 10:11 PM
SoulRiser Offline
Site Founder

Given 1978 thank(s) in 1208 post(s)

I don't see anything immature about his post. Razz

"If you can, help others; if you cannot do that, at least do not harm them." - Dalai Lama
Help & Support - Get help with leaving school, unsupportive parents, and more.
Click here if school makes you depressed or suicidal

Support School Survival on Patreon or Donate Bitcoin Here: 1Q5WCcxWjayniaL92b8GfXBiGdfjmnUNa2
"Believe those who are seeking the truth. Doubt those who find it." - André Paul Guillaume Gide
"The true sign of intelligence is not knowledge but imagination." - Albert Einstein
"I'm pretty sure there's a lot of beauty that can only be found in the mind of a lunatic." - TheCancer
EIPD - Emotionally Incompetent Parent Disorder

Push Button for Collection of Useful Links:
Hidden stuff:
08-18-2009 10:57 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
 Thanks given by: Avatar Korra
xcriteria Offline
Fanatic

Given 930 thank(s) in 612 post(s)

Not all adults are like that. But yeah, many are. "I felt like that when I was your age, but then I learned what life is really like." Meaning, gave up and settled.

Which is up to them, but putting down young people who has ideas and dreams and convictions, especially using a catch phrase or two, isn't right.
08-18-2009 11:31 PM
 Thanks given by: Avatar Korra
Double Offline
Revolutionary

xcriteria Wrote:Not all adults are like that. But yeah, many are. "I felt like that when I was your age, but then I learned what life is really like." Meaning, gave up and settled.

Which is up to them, but putting down young people who has ideas and dreams and convictions, especially using a catch phrase or two, isn't right.

Whereas the adults might also have been different once, and are in fact pointing to the idea that, no matter how hard you try to do something special with your life, sooner or later, you're going to end up like all other adults. At which point it probably isn't their jealousy that's trying to convince you to stop, but rather their experience in life.
08-19-2009 12:16 AM
Reptorian Offline
Fanatic

Given 18 thank(s) in 13 post(s)

Double Wrote:all other adults.
Not all adults have the same experience and some are more convinced of other views such as the youth views than the typical adults view based on their own experience. Some aren't convinced one hundred percent solely on their experience and these are kind of adults that should have more respect.

ZZZ...
08-19-2009 12:42 AM
Desu Offline
Fanatic

Given 340 thank(s) in 182 post(s)

I think some of you are misunderstanding this post. You are probably jumping all over the word he used, "Adults".

The reason why he decided to concentrate on adults is due to logical necessity. Another way to say adults (in this context) would be: People that used to have dreams, but then they found life too hard so they decided to give up, and now they are telling kids to give up just like them.

He could have used that, but instead opted for a word that summed it up nicely: Adults. But then this is something that seems to be true of "people" in general. It just so happens that many older people are like this, but I have observed what Willows is talking about in middle school kids even.

And ya, it was rant clearly, but his point about "egos" is worth noting. People are born into this world without an ego. As they grow older, people will develop insecure egos and will do whatever they can to protect it. It just so happens that an easy way to do this is simply wait to become older, then abuse and control younger people.

RIP GORE GOROTH

He was an hero. He will always be remembered.
08-19-2009 01:52 AM
Paraless Offline
Renegade

Willows Wrote:One thing that really amuses me are all the sad old people who get jealous of the younger generation for actually having a chance to do something with their life.
Way to make a short-sighted, condescending generalization.
Quote:Usually when old people get together and start talking about their kids or just kids in general, they might mention that a kid wants to do X and start laughing at them for it. They'll bring up reasons why it's just too hard, or silly, and inevitably they'll mention something like, “I was like that when you were younger.”, “They grow out of it.”, “All kids go through that stage.”
Maybe they were like that when they were younger.
Quote:Fuck you.
Saw that coming.
Quote:Just because you fucked up your life doesn't mean that's how everyone will turn out. You're just reacting that way because you're secretly jealous, and you have a hurt ego. You see yourself in this kid, you see the chance you had, then you look at where you are now, and you hate yourself for it. Because of this, you delude yourself into thinking “that's just how life is”, and make up every excuse so that you won't ever have to admit to yourself, “well, that was my fault”.
Who the hell are you to say that these adults have "f*ed up" their lives? You aren't Dr. Phil, don't diagnose people as secretly jealous or say that they have hurt egos. Why do you have such hatred brewing inside you?
Quote:That's why I don't trust advice from self-absorbed, insecure older people because they're just speaking from their hurt ego. The more eager someone is to give advice, the more likely it is they're just giving advice to protect their ego from being hurt again. They give advice to validate their own shitty life and all their regrets. One of the last thing humans will do is admit to themselves that just maybe, they were wrong all along.
Haven't you turned into quite the philosopher in the past ten minutes?

Back from hiatus.
08-19-2009 05:33 AM
aerftghyjk Offline
Fanatic

Given 17 thank(s) in 13 post(s)

Of coruse not all adults are like this, but

Paraless Wrote:You aren't Dr. Phil, don't diagnose people as secretly jealous or say that they have hurt egos.

Just because someone isn't labeled as a Psychologist or something doesn't mean they can't do what they do.
08-19-2009 07:05 AM
Jackass McAwesome Offline
Fanatic

Given 24 thank(s) in 17 post(s)

I know people at better than psychology than stupid fucks who have PHDs in fucking psychology. Bitch, please, don't give us the old "DURRHURR UR NOT <insert person of some historical/social relevance here>."

Fuck Dr. Phil. He's a stupid arrogant fatass with a TV show.
08-19-2009 07:18 AM
Desu Offline
Fanatic

Paraless, you accused the OP of making generalizations, and fail to provide any kind of counter-argument to anything they said. Instead you decided to just be provocative in return. Also, read my previous post.

I just read some of your previous posts. Jeez, what an arrogant cock, no wonder you responded the way you did to this post. I suspect you will turn this thread into an unnecessarily heated argument like the last one.

RIP GORE GOROTH

08-19-2009 07:19 AM
Desu Offline
Fanatic

Oni-Chiisu Wrote:Fuck Dr. Phil. He's a stupid arrogant fatass with a TV show.

Actually he's a walrus, and walruses are cool, so fuck off.

RIP GORE GOROTH

08-19-2009 07:24 AM
Paraless Offline
Renegade

Gaiyara-chan Wrote:Paraless, you accused the OP of making generalizations, and fail to provide any kind of counter-argument to anything they said. Instead you decided to just be provocative in return. Also, read my previous post.
How can someone make a counter-argument when the other side doesn't have an argument to begin with? It's ridiculous.
Quote:I just read some of your previous posts. Jeez, what an arrogant cock, no wonder you responded the way you did to this post. I suspect you will turn this thread into an unnecessarily heated argument like the last one.
I get it now. I'm an "arrogant c*ck" because you disagree with me. Forget I said anything; all adults are evil.

Look, the Dr. Phil thing was a joke. That doesn't make the OP any less inflammatory and stupid.

Back from hiatus.
08-19-2009 07:31 AM
Jackass McAwesome Offline
Fanatic

Given 24 thank(s) in 17 post(s)

Gaiyara-chan Wrote:
Oni-Chiisu Wrote:Fuck Dr. Phil. He's a stupid arrogant fatass with a TV show.

Actually he's a walrus, and walruses are cool, so fuck off.

He's still fat, asshole!

...Regardless, throwing the whole "You're not such-n'-such," argument out there is stale and easy to debunk. Try something else, yeah?
08-19-2009 07:32 AM
Desu Offline
Fanatic

Paraless Wrote:
Gaiyara-chan Wrote:Paraless, you accused the OP of making generalizations, and fail to provide any kind of counter-argument to anything they said. Instead you decided to just be provocative in return. Also, read my previous post.
How can someone make a counter-argument when the other side doesn't have an argument to begin with? It's ridiculous.
Quote:I just read some of your previous posts. Jeez, what an arrogant cock, no wonder you responded the way you did to this post. I suspect you will turn this thread into an unnecessarily heated argument like the last one.
I get it now. I'm an "arrogant c*ck" because you disagree with me. Forget I said anything; all adults are evil.

Look, the Dr. Phil thing was a joke. That doesn't make the OP any less inflammatory and stupid.

You can start by limiting your "jokes" when someone is being serious, and you can change your language. The problem isn't your opinion, it's simply the fact that people here interpret you as coming off as an asshole. When in Rome, do as Romans do. "Sticking to your guns" is sometimes a bad tactic, and you will be wasting your time because you'll just end up making people angry.

Instead of proving the OP right by acting like a dick, you could try contributing to the discussion by asking them for clarification on specific things.

RIP GORE GOROTH

08-19-2009 07:40 AM
Desu Offline
Fanatic

More: I'll stress again that the OP was clearly a rant. There will be different reactions if it was worded differently.

Anyway,

Paraless Wrote:Who the hell are you to say that these adults have "f*ed up" their lives? You aren't Dr. Phil, don't diagnose people as secretly jealous or say that they have hurt egos. Why do you have such hatred brewing inside you?

You don't have to be a psychologist to observe something so obvious in a person. I might say the same thing as Willows, but word it differently. Again, you would have had a different reaction.

I'm not sure how to "prove" such a thing, but I would say that people's egos become more and more insecure as they grow older. Also naturally people experience more and more failures and setbacks as they age. What separates people is how they react to this. It's a Buddhist concept that everyone has an ego to some degree, and that the way to Enlightenment is dissolution of the ego. If it is not dissolved, we will always be reacting and making decisions in life with the ego in mind, to some degree.

For some people it's really bad. Some people are always protecting their ego, and they will ruin the lives of others to protect it.

Looking at some of your posts (and others that have responded to you), it's ridiculous to keep bringing up "you can't make generalizations". Obviously... This isn't mathematics. This is life, social and political issues... But to have a meaningful discussion, you have to decide what you can allow as a generalization, and what you can't. Otherwise we can just spend all day picking at the fact that someone has made a tiny generalization somewhere and therefore their argument is bullshit.

RIP GORE GOROTH

08-19-2009 07:51 AM
username01462781 Offline
Pariah

Given 8 thank(s) in 7 post(s)

I love how that the majority of posts in a forum where people hate school are way more intelligent then commercialized social forums like Facebook where people say "SKOOL IS DA BEEST LOL".

The irony is off the fucking chain.
08-20-2009 08:17 PM

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Why do adults say school is good? Xguy 18 8,088 04-11-2017 02:36 PM
Last Post: James Comey
  You're Young, so Auschwitz is "adults only" returnal 3 3,615 02-06-2017 01:39 PM
Last Post: Superkamiguru
Thumbs Down Adults' hypocrisy Lucas Gallindo 4 3,738 09-06-2016 09:50 PM
Last Post: the Analogist
  How To PROVE It To Adults? J4mz69 17 4,592 11-26-2008 12:35 AM
Last Post: Faby