RIP School Survival Forums
August 2001 - June 2017

The School Survival Forums are permanently retired. If you need help with quitting school, unsupportive parents or anything else, there is a list of resources on the Help Page.

If you want to write about your experiences in school, you can write on our blog.

To everyone who joined these forums at some point, and got discouraged by the negativity and left after a while (or even got literally scared off): I'm sorry.

I wasn't good enough at encouraging people to be kinder, and removing people who refuse to be kind. Encouraging people is hard, and removing people creates conflict, and I hate conflict... so that's why I wasn't better at it.

I was a very, very sensitive teen. The atmosphere of this forum as it is now, if it had existed in 1996, would probably have upset me far more than it would have helped.

I can handle quite a lot of negativity and even abuse now, but that isn't the point. I want to help people. I want to help the people who need it the most, and I want to help people like the 1996 version of me.

I'm still figuring out the best way to do that, but as it is now, these forums are doing more harm than good, and I can't keep running them.

Thank you to the few people who have tried to understand my point of view so far. I really, really appreciate you guys. You are beautiful people.

Everyone else: If after everything I've said so far, you still don't understand my motivations, I think it's unlikely that you will. We're just too different. Maybe someday in the future it might make sense, but until then, there's no point in arguing about it. I don't have the time or the energy for arguing anymore. I will focus my time and energy on people who support me, and those who need help.

-SoulRiser

The forums are mostly read-only and are in a maintenance/testing phase, before being permanently archived. Please use this time to get the contact details of people you'd like to keep in touch with. My contact details are here.

Please do not make a mirror copy of the forums in their current state - things will still change, and some people have requested to be able to edit or delete some of their personal info.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
SS hasn't changed
Vatman Offline
Foreplay in Ink

Given 98 thank(s) in 67 post(s)
SS hasn't changed

in my eyes.

I have spent the last year and a half reading posts claiming the forum to be a shithole and dead. And I just don't see it.

I suppose people have come and gone...But really now, how active has this forum ever really been? And whenever I go on, there is always one or two people online. I find that rather active for a forum based around a sort of taboo-esc subject.

Another complaint I see is that there isn't enough intelligence on the board.

But this place was never the pinnacle of intellectual discussion, and I always wonder why people expect it to be. Not to say that there have not been points made that may scrape that glass ceiling of intellectualism; but only scraping at best...and don't think I don't include myself in that incessant clawing...about 99% of my thoughts are merely homage to a greater mind.

Those thoughts aside I should rather point out something positive about this site that continues to amaze me. The comradery. Oh sure, the flames do arise...yet how is anyone surprised. We are mostly teenagers who all in one way or another have been upset or angered by the school system.

Oh right, the friendships. Just like any other situation this does not apply to all who read it. But I have seen many many anonymous users find someone who shares their interests, and create a bond. Those people may be wildly annoying but still. Its magic. Nothing between them but a glowing screen and dozens of grammatical errors and somehow a friendship or more is born. I rarely see a user go to 1,000 posts and not meet someone on this board who eventually has real influence in their life.

And to those of you feel as though that SS is all soulless trolling. I dare you. I double dare you. To tell a story in Voices in your head about emotional pain that you personally have felt or even a friend has felt. Five bucks says someone will care. Where else in a rather cold, breast infested cyberspace can something like that be boasted?

I now address all of you who have read a post of someone who has left. I say to you readers...do you really think they left because the forum is a shithole? Perhaps they didn't make the bond they hoped they would, perhaps they had their ideas cast off, perhaps they were mocked or disliked, perhaps they had outgrown the forum or simply had better things to do...yet these reasons to leave (however unfortunate they may be)...do not cancel out the truth.

That on this forum you have the right and ability to pursue happiness.

And isn't that just pretty? Cogita ante salis.

Some cupid kills with arrows, some with traps.
09-02-2009 02:26 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
monkey Away
Fanatic

Given 26 thank(s) in 17 post(s)
Re: SS hasn't changed

I agree.

Had to move on. Account is dead.
09-02-2009 02:44 PM
The Desert Fox Offline
Waging war with conviction

Given 102 thank(s) in 75 post(s)

I love that post.

Hidden stuff:
(11-27-2011 01:00 PM)psychopath Wrote:  
(11-27-2011 10:52 AM)Efs Wrote:  Our Army is more professional than Amerika. Smile
Except ours isn't allowed to have guns
CrayolaColours Wrote:That post owned. TDF wins post of the year.
Faby Wrote:
krissy Wrote:dessert fox
Mmm, flambéed vulpine.
"There is no enemy, there is no victory, only boys who lost their lives in the sand."
[/center]
09-02-2009 02:58 PM
Bob Dole Offline
Fanatic

Given 23 thank(s) in 19 post(s)

I have to say that I agree. It was more of a question of unwanted change and people growing out of the forum rather than any real decline in quality. Just friends leaving us alone and us missing their insight. Man, I still miss HC. And the old member don't tend to stay in a rut and their standards for quality posts are always increasing, leading to more and more dissatisfaction. Personally, I miss it when SS was slow, I knew most everyone. It was so much quieter.

Meh. There are some things I wish I could have back. I really do. I wish Wolfeh and Kirby were still on good terms. I wish HC were here to offer up the knowledge she gained from all her experiences. I wish that the forums still felt more personal and more sincere. But hey, I can't have it all, I s'pose.

K
S
09-02-2009 03:23 PM
Jesusaurisrex Offline
Fanatic

Given 19 thank(s) in 15 post(s)

agreed. it gets more active every day i feel. and its maturing to.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qmXMA34CeoQ
09-02-2009 03:25 PM
The Desert Fox Offline

Jesusaurisrex Wrote:agreed. it gets more active every day i feel. and its maturing to.

Fix'd.

Hidden stuff:
(11-27-2011 10:52 AM)Efs Wrote:  Our Army is more professional than Amerika. Smile
Faby Wrote:
Mmm, flambéed vulpine.
"There is no enemy, there is no victory, only boys who lost their lives in the sand."
[/center]
09-02-2009 03:36 PM
Jesusaurisrex Offline
Fanatic

FINE but i have noticed a steady decrease in troll activity lately. many of our good members are getting better, and mabey it will return to the golden days of SS. (even though i was not here for them, so i would not know)

09-02-2009 03:48 PM
AWOL Offline
The Spooning Bard

Given 36 thank(s) in 34 post(s)

Wrong, SS has changed, many members have become assholes (i.e me) and many users who were assholes have become good (No fucking clue).

In the grand scheme of things, this is like taking out a nail or two and replacing them with better or worse nails, but hey, it's still changed. And it will keep on changing, for better or for worse, I doubt I'll ever find out for sure, but it's changing.

[Image: 9be30a7.png]
[Image: LyingFloraBanner.jpg]
09-02-2009 05:57 PM
Vatman Offline
Foreplay in Ink

AWOL Wrote:Wrong, SS has changed, many members have become assholes (i.e me) and many users who were assholes have become good (No fucking clue).

In the grand scheme of things, this is like taking out a nail or two and replacing them with better or worse nails, but hey, it's still changed. And it will keep on changing, for better or for worse, I doubt I'll ever find out for sure, but it's changing.

SS isn't the people, SS is the opportunity.

09-03-2009 01:25 AM
Paraless Offline
Renegade

Given 1 thank(s) in 1 post(s)

AWOL Wrote:Wrong, SS has changed, many members have become assholes (i.e me) and many users who were assholes have become good (No fucking clue).

I agree.

Back from hiatus.
09-03-2009 01:26 AM
psychopath Offline
Fanatic

Given 60 thank(s) in 54 post(s)

Jesusaurisrex Wrote:FINE but i have noticed a steady decrease in troll activity lately. many of our good members are getting better, and mabey it will return to the golden days of SS. (even though i was not here for them, so i would not know)

SS has periods of high troll activity. It's like a cycle Banana
09-03-2009 02:03 AM
Pieman Offline
Pie Deity

Given 28 thank(s) in 23 post(s)

Maybe, but what you said about SS never being the pinnacle of intellectual discussion. Of never being anything great, of just being another anti-school site that doesn't stick out. Well, it means that our rebellious civilization's golden age is coming. It means that we WILL do something great eventually. We just haven't gotten there yet..do not despair.

" I never knew until that moment how bad it could hurt to lose something you never really had. " ~From the television show The Wonder Years
09-03-2009 03:41 AM
~Mystery~ Offline
Fanatic

Given 22 thank(s) in 18 post(s)

haha I loved the 'SS is "Soulless" Trolling' Pun

People act unaware that the human body is a walking pharmacy![Image: rolleyes.gif]~David Icke~
Religion was invented to keep the poor from harrasing the rich"~Napoleon Bonaparte~
Do As Thou Wilt Shall Be The Whole of The Law! ~The Secret Order of Thelema~
"Respect goes to those who do not want it" ~TrueAnarchist~
"The only limitations that a person has are those that are self-imposed." ~Unknown!~
“Attraction is an emotion.~Dr. Alex~
“Life is an illusion albeit a very persistent one” ~Albert Einstein

I Am A Messenger From The Seduction Community!
Mint Member
09-03-2009 05:53 AM
Elfy Offline
Fanatic

Given 64 thank(s) in 41 post(s)

I imagine if every ss regular was to meet up in the same place we would all get along fine, we would probably set aside our forum flaming and arguments and whatnot.

RIP SCHOOL-SURVIVAL 04/07/2019
[Image: tumblr_lpjpoqOyQ91qb8nljo1_500.gif]
09-03-2009 06:57 AM
Amortisatie Offline
Fanatic

Given 18 thank(s) in 16 post(s)

matty555 Wrote:I imagine if every ss regular was to meet up in the same place we would all get along fine, we would probably set aside our forum flaming and arguments and whatnot.

Except maybe TA would get jumped Suspicious

But, nice post vatman, I agree

[Image: spooky-1.jpg]

“The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.”
― Neil deGrasse Tyson
09-03-2009 07:11 AM
mudkip liek Offline
Fanatic

Given 10 thank(s) in 7 post(s)

Yeah I agree. This is why I got mad half a year ago when people were trying to "fix" the forum and left because I started bitching. I like it just the way it is. Let it be.
09-03-2009 08:07 AM
Rebelnerd Offline
Fanatic

Given 113 thank(s) in 97 post(s)

For once, I can say that I completely agree with vatman's entire post.

I think Buenaventura Durruti is a pretty cool guy. eh kills fascists and doesnt afraid of ruins.
The quickest way to kill a revolution is to wait for it.
09-03-2009 11:38 AM
The Desert Fox Offline

matty555 Wrote:I imagine if every ss regular was to meet up in the same place we would all get along fine, we would probably set aside our forum flaming and arguments and whatnot.

As long as nobody mentions politics, we'll be OK.

Hidden stuff:
Faby Wrote:
Mmm, flambéed vulpine.
[/center]
09-03-2009 11:43 AM
John Tuttle Offline
Fanatic

Given 5 thank(s) in 5 post(s)

The Desert Fox Wrote:

As long as nobody mentions politics, we'll be OK.

And if anybody brings an anarchy flag I'll be the one with the lighter burning it.

[Image: funny-gifs-wax-on-wax-owl.gif]
09-03-2009 11:45 AM
Rebelnerd Offline
Fanatic

Given 113 thank(s) in 97 post(s)

Then I'll spray it with that fireproofing stuff. And bring two. And hang it from a motherfucking fire extinguisher.

I think Buenaventura Durruti is a pretty cool guy. eh kills fascists and doesnt afraid of ruins.
The quickest way to kill a revolution is to wait for it.
09-03-2009 12:47 PM
Amortisatie Offline
Fanatic

Given 18 thank(s) in 16 post(s)

I'll bring the American flag for burning Evil

[Image: spooky-1.jpg]

“The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.”
― Neil deGrasse Tyson
09-03-2009 12:51 PM
Jesusaurisrex Offline
Fanatic

And I will bring my school for burning Evil Mwahaha

09-03-2009 02:08 PM
Vatman Offline
Foreplay in Ink

Jesusaurisrex Wrote:And I will bring my school for burning Evil Mwahaha
How did we get to burning schools?

09-07-2009 12:52 PM
Thought Criminal Offline
Frame 313

Given 106 thank(s) in 80 post(s)

I've been around for quite a while now and I can say it has definitely changed, and for a while there I think we were kind of in a tough spot but it didn't last very long. To me ss is still the place that I go whenever I need advice, venting, or just a place to talk to friends. I have made ALOT of friends, even a very close relationship with one of our members (wont name her but some of you know about it) ss is sort of like a second family to me, the way I see it it works just like any other. the older members have to move out of the house eventually, though there are those who stick around alot of them tend to outgrow us, it is sad when they leave but that's what newfags are for Wink
09-07-2009 01:11 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Hanny Offline
Fanatic

Given 6 thank(s) in 6 post(s)

In retrospect, I think that the problem was probably that most of the old members left school, and lost interest in the site, preferring to forget their educational days. New members joined, young and ignorant of the old traditions. But nobody was around to tell them the old traditions, so they invented new traditions, and the town elders disapproved them, preferring the old ones that barely anyone practised anymore.

Give it maybe a year, two years, and there will be another Golden Age of members.

[Image: 72eoaf.gif]
<Darthmat> I love the taste of meat in my mouth. Cory, I don't know how you live without it.
<Darthmat> "Forbidden meat tastes sweetest."

Penisometer
8======================================================================o
Conclusion: Still a penis.
09-08-2009 12:51 AM
psychopath Offline
Fanatic

Hanny Wrote:Give it maybe a year, two years, and there will be another Golden Age of members.

ZOMFG if I stay long enough I'll become an ELDER!
09-08-2009 12:46 PM
Hanny Offline
Fanatic

Don't mock me, it's a metaphor.

<Darthmat> I love the taste of meat in my mouth. Cory, I don't know how you live without it.

Penisometer
09-08-2009 12:48 PM
psychopath Offline
Fanatic

Hanny Wrote:Don't mock me, it's a metaphor.

I'll still be an elder tho, right?
09-08-2009 12:49 PM
Hanny Offline
Fanatic

Sure. 8D

Penisometer
09-08-2009 12:54 PM
Sunbourn Offline
Proud crazy cat man

Given 289 thank(s) in 192 post(s)

Every online community changes over time, SS is no exception. Activity on a whole may not have decreased, but the intelligence level sure as hell has even since I've joined. In my opinion SS should reconsider it's no ban policy, as it'd sure help weed out the idiots.

Who am I? Who are YOU?
09-08-2009 12:57 PM

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  How the internet has changed in 10 years Miller0700 17 7,535 09-09-2012 12:14 AM
Last Post: Sunbourn
  Holy shit, I just changed my opinion on some drugs. bulgarianlion 33 9,641 03-27-2012 01:55 AM
Last Post: HeartofShadows
  I changed my mind Aya 29 4,219 03-12-2008 04:30 AM
Last Post: Bob Dole