RIP School Survival Forums
August 2001 - June 2017

The School Survival Forums are permanently retired. If you need help with quitting school, unsupportive parents or anything else, there is a list of resources on the Help Page.

If you want to write about your experiences in school, you can write on our blog.

To everyone who joined these forums at some point, and got discouraged by the negativity and left after a while (or even got literally scared off): I'm sorry.

I wasn't good enough at encouraging people to be kinder, and removing people who refuse to be kind. Encouraging people is hard, and removing people creates conflict, and I hate conflict... so that's why I wasn't better at it.

I was a very, very sensitive teen. The atmosphere of this forum as it is now, if it had existed in 1996, would probably have upset me far more than it would have helped.

I can handle quite a lot of negativity and even abuse now, but that isn't the point. I want to help people. I want to help the people who need it the most, and I want to help people like the 1996 version of me.

I'm still figuring out the best way to do that, but as it is now, these forums are doing more harm than good, and I can't keep running them.

Thank you to the few people who have tried to understand my point of view so far. I really, really appreciate you guys. You are beautiful people.

Everyone else: If after everything I've said so far, you still don't understand my motivations, I think it's unlikely that you will. We're just too different. Maybe someday in the future it might make sense, but until then, there's no point in arguing about it. I don't have the time or the energy for arguing anymore. I will focus my time and energy on people who support me, and those who need help.

-SoulRiser

The forums are mostly read-only and are in a maintenance/testing phase, before being permanently archived. Please use this time to get the contact details of people you'd like to keep in touch with. My contact details are here.

Please do not make a mirror copy of the forums in their current state - things will still change, and some people have requested to be able to edit or delete some of their personal info.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Lock picking
monkey Away
Fanatic

Given 26 thank(s) in 17 post(s)
Lock picking

I think it might me a handy skill, Seems kind of interesting. Today I tried to pick the lock on my filling cabinet until I realized it was a double sided four pin lock, Instead of a nice easy two pin wafer lock I was hoping for. Ikea furniture is not made cheaply at least. Anyway does anyone know some good resources about it?

Had to move on. Account is dead.
09-03-2009 02:38 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Jesusaurisrex Offline
Fanatic

Given 19 thank(s) in 15 post(s)
Re: Lock picking

lots of good stuff on youtube. BTW use a bobby pin, paperclips don't work very well.

I also recommend looking at other ways of opening locks, as there are many different ways of going about it. did you ever see that episode of burn notice where they smash the lock after freezing it with freon? epic. tried it too, works on most locks. as long as no one is using a super duty heavy master lock.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qmXMA34CeoQ
09-03-2009 03:07 PM
monkey Away
Fanatic

Lol I want to have a hobby not start smashing all the lock in my house. But Ill check out youtube.

09-03-2009 03:34 PM
vonunov Offline
Badgrr

Given 186 thank(s) in 126 post(s)

Quote:bobby pin

Yeah, have fun there, MacGyver.

Get a simple set of lockpicks. The ones usually advertised as "beginner" will do. You don't need a great briefcase full of fancy shit. Read the MIT lockpicking guide. Ask questions at bbs.zoklet.net Bad Ideas forum.
09-03-2009 06:40 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
monkey Away
Fanatic

Can you buy them anywhere besides the net?

09-04-2009 05:01 AM
classclown Offline
Fanatic

Given 7 thank(s) in 7 post(s)

Quote:did you ever see that episode of burn notice where they smash the lock after freezing it with freon? epic.

it was epic. boby pin and theclip part of a pen work well. but yea youtube that shit

life is just blah blah blah. we hope for blah, and sometimes we find it. but mostly its blah. and waiting for blah. and hoping you were right about the blahs you made. and when you think you just got the whole blah damn thing figured out, and your surrounded by the ones you blah. death shows up and blah blah blah.
-weeds-

Death may be the greatest of all human blessings. -socrates-

Schooling us to prepare us for the career in need
Not caring about our interests and dreams to heed
09-04-2009 06:10 AM
IllusoryDeath Away
~become away~

Given 8 thank(s) in 8 post(s)

I've used a paper clip & bobby pin before to open a filing cabinet, but I really suggest getting an actual lock-picking set.

Admittedly, it is very satisfying to hear that 'click'.
09-04-2009 06:44 AM
Jesusaurisrex Offline
Fanatic

Given 19 thank(s) in 15 post(s)

well my parents would shoot me if they ever saw a lock picking set in my room. then again, they would kill me If they saw me on this website too. I couldn't get one from the internet because it goes into the mail... and my parents check the mail like, every hour. I bet i could find one if I asked around boulder though.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qmXMA34CeoQ
09-04-2009 07:27 AM
monkey Away
Fanatic

Hm not sure If my parents would support the hobby. Im currently trying to pick my bike lock with a safety pin and a nail clipper file as a tension wrench. I cant seem to find a good tension wrench.

Well, Lol I did pick my little vaultez pencil case (Like a mini suitcase) thing. Except that lock is so damn cheep the cylinder is plastic and it has one pin. I just shoved some tweezers in the end. But I don't think that even counts as a lock.

09-04-2009 08:33 AM
monkey Away
Fanatic

Oh, Heres the law for oregon. Can someone translate this into lamen terms? (As in legal or illegal)

Oregon Revised Statutes - Section 164.235 - Possession of a burglary tool or theft device. (1) A person commits the crime of possession of a burglary tool or theft device if the person possesses a burglary tool or theft device and the person: (a) Intends to use the tool or device to commit or facilitate a forcible entry into premises or a theft by a physical taking; or (b) Knows that another person intends to use the tool or device to commit or facilitate a forcible entry into premises or a theft by a physical taking. (2) For purposes of this section, “burglary tool or theft device” means an acetylene torch, electric arc, burning bar, thermal lance, oxygen lance or other similar device capable of burning through steel, concrete or other solid material, or nitroglycerine, dynamite, gunpowder or any other explosive, tool, instrument or other article adapted or designed for committing or facilitating a forcible entry into premises or theft by a physical taking. (3) Possession of a burglary tool or theft device is a Class A misdemeanor.

09-04-2009 08:50 AM
vonunov Offline
Badgrr

--monkey666-- Wrote:Oh, Heres the law for oregon. Can someone translate this into lamen terms? (As in legal or illegal)

Oregon Revised Statutes - Section 164.235 - Possession of a burglary tool or theft device. (1) A person commits the crime of possession of a burglary tool or theft device if the person possesses a burglary tool or theft device and the person: (a) Intends to use the tool or device to commit or facilitate a forcible entry into premises or a theft by a physical taking; or (b) Knows that another person intends to use the tool or device to commit or facilitate a forcible entry into premises or a theft by a physical taking. (2) For purposes of this section, “burglary tool or theft device” means an acetylene torch, electric arc, burning bar, thermal lance, oxygen lance or other similar device capable of burning through steel, concrete or other solid material, or nitroglycerine, dynamite, gunpowder or any other explosive, tool, instrument or other article adapted or designed for committing or facilitating a forcible entry into premises or theft by a physical taking. (3) Possession of a burglary tool or theft device is a Class A misdemeanor.

Firstly, lockpicks are not here explicitly in the definition of "burglary tool or theft device". This, along with the fact that lockpicks are not used to facilitate "forcible entry" or necessarily "theft by a physical taking" brings to question whether this section is relevant to lockpicks at all.

Also, possession described here is only possession if the possessor intends to use the instrument possessed to break and enter others' property. Carrying or owning lockpicks with no demonstrable intent to use them illegally is fine.
09-04-2009 04:02 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
AWOL Offline
The Spooning Bard

Given 36 thank(s) in 34 post(s)

And even if it did, it only applies to other people, picking your own locks is fine.

[Image: 9be30a7.png]
[Image: LyingFloraBanner.jpg]
09-04-2009 04:13 PM
vonunov Offline
Badgrr

You may want to look up the sections addressing definition of "forcible entry into premises" and "theft by physical taking".
09-04-2009 05:53 PM
AWOL Offline
The Spooning Bard

I doubt "forcible entry into premises" would count your own home. And I can't see the theft part anywhere.

09-04-2009 06:06 PM
vonunov Offline
Badgrr

Sorry, I meant that OP should find these definitions for clarification of what "premises" is and what sort of entry into it is "forcible".
09-04-2009 06:16 PM
Nah Offline
Pariah

Given 4 thank(s) in 4 post(s)

Screw laws. I made myself a set of lockpicks a few weeks ago and have been practicing on the lock on my computer (yes, my computer has a lock). I can pick it in about 3 seconds now. Definitely worth it. Takes very little practice and is awesome.
09-24-2009 06:40 PM
random_name Offline
Fanatic

Given 15 thank(s) in 15 post(s)

I don't know the first thing about picking locks ^^

Hidden stuff:
"A 'no' uttered from deepest conviction is better and greater than a 'yes' merely uttered to please, or what is worse, to avoid trouble." - Mahatma Gandhi

"The irrationality of a thing is no argument against its existence, rather a condition of it."

"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy."
-Ben Franklin

"when I was a kid I used to pray for a bicycle. then I realized that god doesn't work that way. so I stole one and prayed for forgiveness."
"I would rather die for something I believe in than live for anything else."
"What is the task of higher education? To make a man into a machine. What are the means employed? He is taught how to suffer being bored." – F W Nietzsche
[Image: s-event.png]
09-25-2009 03:30 AM
AWOL Offline
The Spooning Bard

There are quite a number of locks, with different combinations of settings for the tumblers and other sorts of doo-dads. Practice on other locks otherwise you'll be fucked if you ever need to lockpick.

09-25-2009 08:01 AM
Nah Offline
Pariah

Given 4 thank(s) in 4 post(s)

Ok. Thanks for the advice Smile
09-25-2009 12:06 PM