RIP School Survival Forums
August 2001 - June 2017

The School Survival Forums are permanently retired. If you need help with quitting school, unsupportive parents or anything else, there is a list of resources on the Help Page.

If you want to write about your experiences in school, you can write on our blog.

To everyone who joined these forums at some point, and got discouraged by the negativity and left after a while (or even got literally scared off): I'm sorry.

I wasn't good enough at encouraging people to be kinder, and removing people who refuse to be kind. Encouraging people is hard, and removing people creates conflict, and I hate conflict... so that's why I wasn't better at it.

I was a very, very sensitive teen. The atmosphere of this forum as it is now, if it had existed in 1996, would probably have upset me far more than it would have helped.

I can handle quite a lot of negativity and even abuse now, but that isn't the point. I want to help people. I want to help the people who need it the most, and I want to help people like the 1996 version of me.

I'm still figuring out the best way to do that, but as it is now, these forums are doing more harm than good, and I can't keep running them.

Thank you to the few people who have tried to understand my point of view so far. I really, really appreciate you guys. You are beautiful people.

Everyone else: If after everything I've said so far, you still don't understand my motivations, I think it's unlikely that you will. We're just too different. Maybe someday in the future it might make sense, but until then, there's no point in arguing about it. I don't have the time or the energy for arguing anymore. I will focus my time and energy on people who support me, and those who need help.

-SoulRiser

The forums are mostly read-only and are in a maintenance/testing phase, before being permanently archived. Please use this time to get the contact details of people you'd like to keep in touch with. My contact details are here.

Please do not make a mirror copy of the forums in their current state - things will still change, and some people have requested to be able to edit or delete some of their personal info.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Does High School Prepare you for College?
Darkstripe Offline
Renegade

Given 1 thank(s) in 1 post(s)
Does High School Prepare you for College?

So I'm not going to College until next September, thankfully, cause I need time to figure out and be 100% certain at what I want to do.

But boy, College sounds scary! My friend was saying how busy she was - a fricken DAY IN! She has CPR lessons all weekend, labs that go on for three hours, lots of homework, and stay in school from 9am-6pm on Monday and Tuesday. I mean...holy shit. That's insane! Maybe it's different depending on what program your doing. Regardless...high school, the first day, you don't do anything.

I was reading this article among others, and boy it sounds WAY harder than what I'm used too..

I did well in High School. I worked hard. Got good grades I was happy with. But I always had time to be lazy, relax..I mean, it wasn't that hard or that much at one time. But I can't imagine how hard College will be...how much I won't be prepared for.. since I'm taking a year off I won't be use to school work, much less like that..

I suppose College is a time to take your life seriously decide what you want to do. Of course there is time for fun and it's probably an awesome experience, but it makes me wonder, how well does High School prepare you for something totally unlike the school we're used too? I guess it'll help us get ready for the real world. And if you like what you're doing, even better. Still, the idea of how much different it'll be is scary! It would be a real kick in the butt/wake up call to a lot of people I bet! You'd have to put in a much bigger effort if you want to do well...

I guess it's a more intense version of High school, may even be more interesting and therefore one may be more motivated to try.

What do you think? If you are still in High School or not yet in College or are, how do you think you'd ajust to such a difference?

Of course, I know not everyone wishes to go to College/University, and there's nothing wrong with it. =D But I probably will have to..and the thought is kinda scary!
09-12-2009 02:27 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
psychopath Offline
Fanatic

Given 60 thank(s) in 54 post(s)
Re: Does High School Prepare you for College?

I think high school best prepares you for prison. That's about it
09-12-2009 02:30 PM
 Thanks given by: Superkamiguru
Darkstripe Offline
Renegade

LOL, your damn right about that. It's like prison, only without the bars.

Though I hear some schools do. xD
09-12-2009 02:32 PM
AWOL Offline
The Spooning Bard

Given 36 thank(s) in 34 post(s)

First: Welcome back Hug

Second: No, it doesn't. You can stay in college, as opposed to high school. You'll most likely like the subjects you're doing. You'll meet a variety of different people. The teacher's will probably know what they're doing. You can skip minor assignments without much of an impact. High school basically prepares you for the work force, not college.

[Image: 9be30a7.png]
[Image: LyingFloraBanner.jpg]
09-12-2009 02:33 PM
Darkstripe Offline
Renegade

Thanks! Hug It has been awhile! I came on here a week ago or so but not for long. Nice to see you again!

I'd say your right! There's a pretty big difference, and I'd say High School does do that. In comparison it's very different from College is some ways.

If only we all didn't need Education and could just do whatever we want without it! I mean, some people don't need it and can do very well..but for a lot of things you do need something. Self-education should count! xD
09-12-2009 02:36 PM
AWOL Offline
The Spooning Bard

I support schooling, most of us would be too unmotivated without it.

09-12-2009 02:42 PM
Darkstripe Offline
Renegade

I actually also do.. because it's true. xD Some people would be, but others wouldn't. I was lucky and enjoyed my High School experience and do plan to go to College. But from what a lot of people on this site have experienced, it's clear for a lot of people school wasn't very enjoyable. It can all depend on your experiences about whether or not you support education.
09-12-2009 02:44 PM
AWOL Offline
The Spooning Bard

I agree as well, I believe that the education system is flawed and sadistic, but the concept is needed.

09-12-2009 02:48 PM
Darkstripe Offline
Renegade

I agree, I believe that the education system is flawed and sadistic, but the concept is needed.

Your right about that. It can be flawed, even sadistic. The concept is important. I admit, I really did quite like High School, it was made even better when I made more friends. And I liked most of my teachers. But everyone is different, in a different situation and school so the experience can be different. If most people have good experiences on education they'll be more interested in keeping it up.
09-12-2009 02:51 PM
NowhereWoman Offline
Pariah

Given 11 thank(s) in 8 post(s)

I got some very good and unexpected advice from an adult today.
He told me to lay off the hard classes I'm taking and make sure I'm having fun in high school. He said that I could get into a good college without having to be super-competitive like my counselors keep wanting me to be. (to sum it up, they pretty much expect anyone who's ever gotten A's to get into UCLA as soon as they graduate!)
This can apply to college too. Work towards the degree you want, but don't push yourself too hard. Have fun, it's your life after all. Enjoy your relatively optional education!

An it Harm None, Do What Ye Will
An it Harm, Do Only What Ye Must

Lighten up! This life was made for experimenting, making mistakes, falling on our faces, and standing up to do it all over again.
Live for Learning.

Carla Franklin may be a whore. She may be a wonderful, kind, moral woman. Seeing as I don't know her personally, I cannot know for sure. However, I find her actions (suing Google, requesting the personal info of her critics, getting angry over random internet idiocy that she should ignore and be bigger than, trying to get this site in trouble because of a few users' commentary on the situation, etc.) pretty ridiculous and unwarranted. If she didn't want people to to be talking about/judging her, well 1. that's impossible, she's a human, and 2. she shouldn't have been a model or agreed to be on film. AND 3. she DEFINITELY shouldn't have sued Google and made all this fuss over a few random idiots whom she probably won't ever know expressing their opinion. Mmkay? MMKAY.
09-13-2009 02:27 PM
Leon Kinotolian Offline
Admincat

Given 11 thank(s) in 9 post(s)

AWOL Wrote:I support schooling, most of us would be too unmotivated without it.
I agree, but more than likely my reasoning is different from yours. School (at least middle and high school) dissatisfies most of its attendees with its false promises of learning, and prompts them to seek real learning, cultivate their own interests, what have you.

Does high school prepare you for college? Honestly, no. If you're lucky like I was, you'll have a USEFUL College & Career Center to yoink resources from, and that'll help you prepare YOURSELF for college, but in general, high school will not be of assistance in that department.

*Tentaclerape*
Hidden stuff:
The Desert Fox Wrote:
Rebelnerd Wrote:Avatar was an inside job.
For $9.11 I'll give you an inside job.
Raikuron Wrote:Okay. I fail. DISREGARD THAT EVERYONE, I SUCK COCKS!
BaronVonStrangle Wrote:fox you should take everything mystery says with a pinch of salt

and by pinch of salt i actually mean you need to build a fucking salt processing plant so you have enough salt to dispell the bullshit
09-17-2009 09:56 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  How can I go to college without finishing high school? xcriteria 10 10,655 05-31-2017 10:25 PM
Last Post: MariKlemz
  Aim High School? The man 6 4,055 05-29-2017 02:00 PM
Last Post: the Analogist
  Seeking people have dropped out of high school without parent support (for interview) xcriteria 4 2,803 05-05-2017 04:14 AM
  I Was the Queen Bee: 3 High-School Bullies Describe Their Reigns of Terror James Comey 0 1,666 04-25-2017 07:44 AM
Last Post: James Comey
  I wish I could go back to high school .... James Comey 23 11,042 04-08-2017 05:46 AM
  Worst year of high school? Dead 17 14,055 03-29-2017 09:00 AM
Shocked Please, punish yourself | She still thinks her High School is the best Lucas Gallindo 1 2,281 03-14-2017 07:39 PM
Last Post: sswbm
Brick High School, Hypocrisy, Personal textname30 5 3,813 11-05-2016 01:15 PM
  I started high school on 8/29/16 SchoolIsPrison333 1 2,279 10-04-2016 03:07 AM
Last Post: Sadly_Not
  I HATE High School and The Education System Rightsmen 13 15,133 12-30-2015 02:08 AM
Last Post: Coolhandluke