RIP School Survival Forums
August 2001 - June 2017

The School Survival Forums are permanently retired. If you need help with quitting school, unsupportive parents or anything else, there is a list of resources on the Help Page.

If you want to write about your experiences in school, you can write on our blog.

To everyone who joined these forums at some point, and got discouraged by the negativity and left after a while (or even got literally scared off): I'm sorry.

I wasn't good enough at encouraging people to be kinder, and removing people who refuse to be kind. Encouraging people is hard, and removing people creates conflict, and I hate conflict... so that's why I wasn't better at it.

I was a very, very sensitive teen. The atmosphere of this forum as it is now, if it had existed in 1996, would probably have upset me far more than it would have helped.

I can handle quite a lot of negativity and even abuse now, but that isn't the point. I want to help people. I want to help the people who need it the most, and I want to help people like the 1996 version of me.

I'm still figuring out the best way to do that, but as it is now, these forums are doing more harm than good, and I can't keep running them.

Thank you to the few people who have tried to understand my point of view so far. I really, really appreciate you guys. You are beautiful people.

Everyone else: If after everything I've said so far, you still don't understand my motivations, I think it's unlikely that you will. We're just too different. Maybe someday in the future it might make sense, but until then, there's no point in arguing about it. I don't have the time or the energy for arguing anymore. I will focus my time and energy on people who support me, and those who need help.

-SoulRiser

The forums are mostly read-only and are in a maintenance/testing phase, before being permanently archived. Please use this time to get the contact details of people you'd like to keep in touch with. My contact details are here.

Please do not make a mirror copy of the forums in their current state - things will still change, and some people have requested to be able to edit or delete some of their personal info.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Does school hold back potential ability?
whistlingwings Offline
Revolutionary

Given 2 thank(s) in 2 post(s)

Do you feel that, without school, people would be capable of more than they currently are?
09-13-2009 07:43 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
monkey Away
Fanatic

Given 26 thank(s) in 17 post(s)
Re: Does school hold back potential ability?

Defiantly, Since school generally limits your creativity and puts you in a structured environment. Which limits your potential.

Had to move on. Account is dead.
09-13-2009 07:46 AM
 Thanks given by: Avatar Korra
Rebelnerd Offline
Fanatic

Given 113 thank(s) in 97 post(s)

Absolutely. The three conditions necessary for people to reach their full potential are diversity, availability of information and freedom of expression. School provides plenty of information to students, after all, that's its purpose. But by forcing students into a standardized model of education and restricting what they can say or do, schools effectively neuter what their students can do with the knowledge they gain there.

I think Buenaventura Durruti is a pretty cool guy. eh kills fascists and doesnt afraid of ruins.
The quickest way to kill a revolution is to wait for it.
09-13-2009 07:47 AM
The Desert Fox Offline
Waging war with conviction

Given 102 thank(s) in 75 post(s)

Without a doubt. Schools do have some learning potential, but they restrict you to what THEY want you to do, not what YOU think is best and have an interest in.

Hidden stuff:
(11-27-2011 01:00 PM)psychopath Wrote:  
(11-27-2011 10:52 AM)Efs Wrote:  Our Army is more professional than Amerika. Smile
Except ours isn't allowed to have guns
CrayolaColours Wrote:That post owned. TDF wins post of the year.
Faby Wrote:
krissy Wrote:dessert fox
Mmm, flambéed vulpine.
"There is no enemy, there is no victory, only boys who lost their lives in the sand."
[/center]
09-13-2009 07:57 AM
IllusoryDeath Away
~become away~

Given 8 thank(s) in 8 post(s)

Yes.

'nuff said.
09-13-2009 08:02 AM
whistlingwings Offline
Revolutionary

Given 2 thank(s) in 2 post(s)

I agree, but I just wanted to get a discussion going.
09-13-2009 08:03 AM
IllusoryDeath Away
~become away~

Makes sense....most everything I feel on the subject was already written by the previous posters though, so I just figured that I'd agree and then move on. >_>
09-13-2009 08:52 AM
AWOL Offline
The Spooning Bard

Given 36 thank(s) in 34 post(s)

Yes.

[Image: 9be30a7.png]
[Image: LyingFloraBanner.jpg]
09-13-2009 09:22 AM
Rebelnerd Offline
Fanatic

By simply saying "yes," you people are not fulfilling your full potential!

I think Buenaventura Durruti is a pretty cool guy. eh kills fascists and doesnt afraid of ruins.
09-13-2009 10:14 AM
AWOL Offline
The Spooning Bard

Given 36 thank(s) in 34 post(s)

I'm forced to attend school, that's all I can say.

[Image: 9be30a7.png]
[Image: LyingFloraBanner.jpg]
09-13-2009 10:15 AM
CrayolaColours Offline
Fanatic

Given 28 thank(s) in 25 post(s)

Yes, I think about the 1700's. People wrote so fluently. School was nowhere near as bad. Back then, all that was taught were essentials, like reading and writing. And they didn't take your child away because they didn't go to school.

Why else would all the writers of the 1700/1800's seem like geniuses?

[Image: True-Blood-Banner-true-blood-2196368-500-82.jpg]
Faith o' Meter
-{|||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||}-
Quote:Riddle me this, riddle me that. Give me a straight answer, you pain in the ass cat.
09-13-2009 12:30 PM
classclown Offline
Fanatic

Given 7 thank(s) in 7 post(s)

yes it holds you backs and is selective in what it lets you learn.

CrayolaColours Wrote:Yes, I think about the 1700's. People wrote so fluently. School was nowhere near as bad. Back then, all that was taught were essentials, like reading and writing. And they didn't take your child away because they didn't go to school.

i wouldnt say that. they had the new england primer http://www.sacred-texts.com/chr/nep/1777/index.htm. this thing damn near brain washed kids.

life is just blah blah blah. we hope for blah, and sometimes we find it. but mostly its blah. and waiting for blah. and hoping you were right about the blahs you made. and when you think you just got the whole blah damn thing figured out, and your surrounded by the ones you blah. death shows up and blah blah blah.
-weeds-

Death may be the greatest of all human blessings. -socrates-

Schooling us to prepare us for the career in need
Not caring about our interests and dreams to heed
09-13-2009 01:25 PM
CrayolaColours Offline
Fanatic

classclown Wrote:yes it holds you backs and is selective in what it lets you learn.

CrayolaColours Wrote:Yes, I think about the 1700's. People wrote so fluently. School was nowhere near as bad. Back then, all that was taught were essentials, like reading and writing. And they didn't take your child away because they didn't go to school.

i wouldnt say that. they had the new england primer http://www.sacred-texts.com/chr/nep/1777/index.htm. this thing damn near brain washed kids.
See, now you can't really blame them. There pretty much wasn't a soul in America back then that wasn't Christian. It's like teaching History to them. Hell, at least they were taught how to read.

Faith o' Meter
Quote:Riddle me this, riddle me that. Give me a straight answer, you pain in the ass cat.
09-13-2009 02:38 PM
classclown Offline
Fanatic

Given 7 thank(s) in 7 post(s)

when i first heard about the primer i raged. it didnt help the person who showed it to be thought it was how it should be now.

life is just blah blah blah. we hope for blah, and sometimes we find it. but mostly its blah. and waiting for blah. and hoping you were right about the blahs you made. and when you think you just got the whole blah damn thing figured out, and your surrounded by the ones you blah. death shows up and blah blah blah.
-weeds-

Death may be the greatest of all human blessings. -socrates-

Schooling us to prepare us for the career in need
Not caring about our interests and dreams to heed
09-13-2009 02:40 PM
SoulRiser Offline
Site Founder

Given 1978 thank(s) in 1208 post(s)

Quote:By simply saying "yes," you people are not fulfilling your full potential!
Yes.

"If you can, help others; if you cannot do that, at least do not harm them." - Dalai Lama
Help & Support - Get help with leaving school, unsupportive parents, and more.
Click here if school makes you depressed or suicidal

Support School Survival on Patreon or Donate Bitcoin Here: 1Q5WCcxWjayniaL92b8GfXBiGdfjmnUNa2
"Believe those who are seeking the truth. Doubt those who find it." - André Paul Guillaume Gide
"The true sign of intelligence is not knowledge but imagination." - Albert Einstein
"I'm pretty sure there's a lot of beauty that can only be found in the mind of a lunatic." - TheCancer
EIPD - Emotionally Incompetent Parent Disorder

Push Button for Collection of Useful Links:
Hidden stuff:
09-14-2009 03:33 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
mudkip liek Offline
Fanatic

Given 10 thank(s) in 7 post(s)

Yes. By being in school and taking subjects everyone else is taking (for the most part) isn't helping you get better at what you're actually good at. But if there was no school, you'd obviously spend more time doing whatever you were good at or interested in and by now you'd be better at it than ever.

And that's only one example.
09-15-2009 06:04 AM
Rebelnerd Offline
Fanatic

classclown Wrote:it didnt help the person who showed it to be thought it was how it should be now.
that's fucked up.

09-15-2009 06:13 AM
Fire Elf Offline
Fanatic

Given 30 thank(s) in 25 post(s)

CrayolaColours Wrote:
classclown Wrote:yes it holds you backs and is selective in what it lets you learn.

See, now you can't really blame them. There pretty much wasn't a soul in America back then that wasn't Christian. It's like teaching History to them. Hell, at least they were taught how to read.
Actually I can. The fact that this could be at any time or place considered a normal textbook only makes it more disturbing. North Korea always makes a great example, they are one of the most tightly controlled countries in the world. The students are constantly bombarded with propaganda about their oppressive dictator "dear leader" Kim Jong Il, and are basically the most hopelessly brainwashed people in the world. And that doesn't even cover their songs about "Let's go kill the americans/japanese/british/swiss" But then, that's "just like teaching history to them"

Besides, I'm sure there was people back then who we're not christians. Like, I don't know, the people who founded your fucking country. America wasn't founded on the fucking bible, regardless of what faux news might have you believe.

The only good signature is a dead signature.
09-15-2009 06:56 AM
IllusoryDeath Away
~become away~

QUOTE FEST!

Biggrin
09-15-2009 08:13 AM
Jackass McAwesome Offline
Fanatic

Given 24 thank(s) in 17 post(s)

Topic Title is what I'm answering.

Short answer: Yes.

Long answer: Fuck yes.
09-15-2009 09:30 AM
 Thanks given by: the Analogist
Fire Elf Offline
Fanatic

Oni-Chiisu Wrote:Topic Title is what I'm answering.

09-15-2009 09:37 AM
The Real Desert Fox Offline
Rebel

Given 0 thank(s) in 0 post(s)

Fire Elf Wrote:America wasn't founded on the fucking bible, regardless of what MSNBC news might have you believe.
Fix'd.

To Justin:

Fucking stop it. Seriously.

Thank you.
09-15-2009 10:34 AM
CrayolaColours Offline
Fanatic

Fire Elf Wrote:Actually I can. The fact that this could be at any time or place considered a normal textbook only makes it more disturbing. North Korea always makes a great example, they are one of the most tightly controlled countries in the world. The students are constantly bombarded with propaganda about their oppressive dictator "dear leader" Kim Jong Il, and are basically the most hopelessly brainwashed people in the world. And that doesn't even cover their songs about "Let's go kill the americans/japanese/british/swiss" But then, that's "just like teaching history to them"

Besides, I'm sure there was people back then who we're not christians. Like, I don't know, the people who founded your fucking country. America wasn't founded on the fucking bible, regardless of what faux news might have you believe.
Really? I didn't know that. That would definately change things. (Is raging now.) I just figured that it was everywhere back then. Why did I not learn about Deists in school? Aren't they supposed to teach you?

Oh wait...

And when I said it was like histroy, I figured something like that was common knowledge way back when. Just like the earth being flat, way, way back when. Like I said earlier, I figured that 95% of America was Christian, or some other bible related religion. And North Korea is a different story all together.

Hmm, was this New England Primer taken away after America became a country? With Washington persident and all.

Very interesting.

Faith o' Meter
09-15-2009 10:35 AM
IllusoryDeath Away
~become away~

Fire Elf Wrote:
Oni-Chiisu Wrote:Topic Title is what I'm answering.

quotesquotesquotesquotesquotesquotesquotesquotesquotesquotesquotesquotesquotes
quotesquotesquotesquotesquotesquotesquotesquotesquotesquotesquotesrcoolguize. XD

I'm serious. Oni so totally deserved to get at least double quoted on that comment. Yes
09-15-2009 11:40 AM
Fire Elf Offline
Fanatic

The Real Desert Fox Wrote:
Fire Elf Wrote:America wasn't founded on the fucking bible, regardless of what MSNBC news might have you believe.
Fix'd.
fuck off.

09-15-2009 12:07 PM
CrayolaColours Offline
Fanatic

Fire Elf Wrote:
The Real Desert Fox Wrote:
Fix'd.
fuck off.
Laugh

Faith o' Meter
09-15-2009 02:11 PM
Superkamiguru Offline
Resistance Leader

Given 84 thank(s) in 52 post(s)

Yes

Hidden stuff:
"CONSENSUAL incest is not wrong. (Abuse victims: being abused by a relative does not make it wrong for others to have consensual incest, any more than rape by a stranger makes all sex wrong. Sex and assault/molestation are two different things.) An aversion became common in humans that aided in population growth as one disease couldn't wipe out the human race. That's not a problem anymore.

Consensual incest is very common. You know people who have been involved, whether you know it or not.

There is no rational reason for keeping laws or taboos against consensual
incest that is consistently applied to other relationships. Personal disgust or religion is only a reason why one person would not want to personally engage in what I call consanguinamory, not why someone else shouldn't do it. An adult should be free to share love, sex, residence, and marriage with ANY consenting adults. Youthful experimentation between close relatives close in age is not uncommon, and there are more people than you'd think out there who are in lifelong healthy, happy relationships with a close relative. It isn't for everyone, but we're not all going to want to have each others' love lives, now are we? If someone thinks YOUR love life is disgusting, should you be thrown in prison?

Some people try to justify their prejudice against consanguineous sex and
marriage by being part-time eugenicists and saying that such relationships inevitably lead to “mutant” or “deformed” babies. This argument can be refuted on several fronts. 1. Some consanguineous relationships involve only people of the same gender. 2. Not all mixed-gender relationships birth biological children. 3. Most births to consanguineous parents do not produce children with significant birth defects or other genetic problems; while births to other parents do sometimes have birth defects. 4. We don’t prevent other people from marrying or deny them their reproductive rights based on increased odds of passing along a genetic problem or inherited disease. It is true that in general, children born to consanguineous parents have an increased chance of these problems than those born to nonconsanguineous parents, but the odds are still minimal. Unless someone is willing to deny reproductive rights and medical privacy to others and force everyone to take genetic tests and bar carriers and the congenitally disabled and women over 35 from having children, then equal protection principles prevent this from being a justification to bar this freedom of association and freedom to marry.

Some say "Your sibling should not be your lover." That is not a reason. It begs the question. Many people have many relationships that have more than one aspect. Some women say their sister is their best friend. Why can’t their sister be a wife, too?

Some say “There is a power differential.” This applies least of all to siblings or cousins who are close in age, but even where the power differential exists, it is not a justification for denying this freedom to sex or to marry. There is a power differential in just about any relationship, sometimes an enormous power differential. To question if consent is truly possible in these cases is insulting and demeaning.

Some say “There are so many people outside of your family." There are plenty of people within one’s own race, too, but that is no reason to ban interracial marriage. So, this isn't a good reason either. Let consenting adults love each other the way they want!"-Keith Pullman

01-12-2017 09:47 AM
HSHARK Offline
Revolutionary

Given 40 thank(s) in 29 post(s)
RE: Does school hold back potential ability?

I agree because schools never teaches you how to get rich. It just teaches you how to get a job.
01-12-2017 04:29 PM
Geicosuave Offline
Gay Ass Demon

Given 69 thank(s) in 40 post(s)

Definitely, at least the way they're structured now. We definitely need some way to teach future generations, but the current system doesn't work. It squanders ability and creativity unless you have a cool teacher (and luckily I've had a few), and there have many, MANY studies done that show how damaging it is, but nothing changes.

well would you look at the time its time to gay
01-13-2017 11:48 AM
Rule_BreakerXVIII Offline
Revolutionary

Given 271 thank(s) in 168 post(s)
RE: Does school hold back potential ability?

Yes. Yes. Yes. Fuck yes.

Don't play chess with pigeons-they'll just knock over the pieces, shit on the board and strut about like they won anyway.
-the Internet

Quote:May the days and months of flowing bitterness be rewarded...
To forget!?

Unforgivable!!
01-15-2017 05:32 AM