RIP School Survival Forums
August 2001 - June 2017

The School Survival Forums are permanently retired. If you need help with quitting school, unsupportive parents or anything else, there is a list of resources on the Help Page.

If you want to write about your experiences in school, you can write on our blog.

To everyone who joined these forums at some point, and got discouraged by the negativity and left after a while (or even got literally scared off): I'm sorry.

I wasn't good enough at encouraging people to be kinder, and removing people who refuse to be kind. Encouraging people is hard, and removing people creates conflict, and I hate conflict... so that's why I wasn't better at it.

I was a very, very sensitive teen. The atmosphere of this forum as it is now, if it had existed in 1996, would probably have upset me far more than it would have helped.

I can handle quite a lot of negativity and even abuse now, but that isn't the point. I want to help people. I want to help the people who need it the most, and I want to help people like the 1996 version of me.

I'm still figuring out the best way to do that, but as it is now, these forums are doing more harm than good, and I can't keep running them.

Thank you to the few people who have tried to understand my point of view so far. I really, really appreciate you guys. You are beautiful people.

Everyone else: If after everything I've said so far, you still don't understand my motivations, I think it's unlikely that you will. We're just too different. Maybe someday in the future it might make sense, but until then, there's no point in arguing about it. I don't have the time or the energy for arguing anymore. I will focus my time and energy on people who support me, and those who need help.

-SoulRiser

The forums are mostly read-only and are in a maintenance/testing phase, before being permanently archived. Please use this time to get the contact details of people you'd like to keep in touch with. My contact details are here.

Please do not make a mirror copy of the forums in their current state - things will still change, and some people have requested to be able to edit or delete some of their personal info.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
"Truancy" illegal in fucking CA, unschooling?
LOON_ATTIC Offline
A NERD

Given 60 thank(s) in 49 post(s)
"Truancy" illegal in fucking CA, unschooling?

It's been a long time since I've posted. My brother still has the damn site blocked, and I don't really like using proxies.
I've been in HS for only about 2 weeks. It's been kind of tolerable, the education is a bit more decent than the one of Middle School. There's more kinds of people to socialize with, and no fucking uniforms, so we don't look like a bunch of sheep in a herd.
We came to an "assembly" on the theater. They gave us papers with bullshit about how much we suck because we're not 18 years old, etc. They told us that the fucking California law requires everyone to be in prison full time, from 8AM to 3PM, and that not doing that is considered "truancy", if you don't come some police faggot/bitch will come to you, yell at you and force steal hundreds of dollars from you, or your parents.

WHAT THE FUCK?!! Seriously, would this also apply to unschooling? Isn't it that by unschooling you can study whenever you want?

[Image: glorious666.png]
09-17-2009 09:15 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Leon Kinotolian Offline
Admincat

Given 11 thank(s) in 9 post(s)
Re: "Truancy" illegal in fucking CA, unschooling?

Of course that wouldn't apply to unschooling. Everything is in YOUR hands... In general, I think truancy is a crock of shit.

Back when I was in school (yes, I've withdrawn since last schoolyear, thank frickin' christ), truancy didn't have a lot of consequences. You got an automated call most of the time, MAYBE an attendance contract if you were particularly habitual. Myself, I just ditched all the goddamn time because I was sick of it anyway (and because I like my morning time on a good day), and the calls eventually stopped. Hell, they shouldn't have even done the calls, because in the state of Arizona, you are legally exempt from truancy after you hit the age of 16 or enter Sophmore year. Specifically, you can withdraw at those points.

In any case, if you want to avoid the big bad (bullshit) cops, don't stay at home. Pick a place that you could enjoy hanging out at for several hours on end, like a mall or something, and if anyone asks, you're a dropout or something similar. Might make them bitch at you for being lazy, but hey, better than the cops hounding you and stealing your cash, right?

*Tentaclerape*
Hidden stuff:
The Desert Fox Wrote:
Rebelnerd Wrote:Avatar was an inside job.
For $9.11 I'll give you an inside job.
Raikuron Wrote:Okay. I fail. DISREGARD THAT EVERYONE, I SUCK COCKS!
BaronVonStrangle Wrote:fox you should take everything mystery says with a pinch of salt

and by pinch of salt i actually mean you need to build a fucking salt processing plant so you have enough salt to dispell the bullshit
09-17-2009 09:48 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
LightAbyssion Offline
Revolutionary

Given 38 thank(s) in 21 post(s)

There's really no point, but read this anyway:

http://www.tiprr.com/blog/?p=1592

Specifically, the comment from the "truancy officer". Here's an excerpt:

Quote:"In regards to ______’s posting about the judge not making decisions for her and what does it matter if she attends school anyway… Ultimately the effects of youth’s choices aren’t left with them, they greatly affect society as the youth of this country will shape what it is in the future. None or minimal education equals little or no skills and limits youths foundation to make choices."

"Oppressed people might overthrow their tyrants, but not if they can count on one day joining the oppressors."
09-17-2009 09:52 AM
CrayolaColours Offline
Fanatic

Given 28 thank(s) in 25 post(s)

EdgeOfTheRKO Wrote:There's really no point, but read this:

Quote:"In regards to ______’s posting about the judge not making decisions for her and what does it matter if she attends school anyway… Ultimately the effects of youth’s choices aren’t left with them, they greatly affect society as the youth of this country will shape what it is in the future. None or minimal education equals little or no skills and limits youths foundation to make choices."
Jesus fucking Christ. There comes a time in life, where all you can say is: Why?

[Image: True-Blood-Banner-true-blood-2196368-500-82.jpg]
Faith o' Meter
-{|||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||}-
Quote:Riddle me this, riddle me that. Give me a straight answer, you pain in the ass cat.
09-17-2009 12:10 PM
LightAbyssion Offline
Revolutionary

Given 38 thank(s) in 21 post(s)

CrayolaColours Wrote:
EdgeOfTheRKO Wrote:There's really no point, but read this:

Jesus fucking Christ. There comes a time in life, where all you can say is: Why?
I do agree with one part:

Quote:"the youth of this country will shape what it is in the future"

This part is bullshit:

Quote:"None or minimal education equals little or no skills and limits youths foundation to make choices"

"Oppressed people might overthrow their tyrants, but not if they can count on one day joining the oppressors."
09-17-2009 12:16 PM

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Your thoughts on truancy laws ..V.. 21 12,553 11-13-2013 11:45 PM
Last Post: brainiac3397
  Truancy is deliquency James Comey 8 4,654 09-30-2013 03:58 AM
Last Post: brainiac3397
  "Intelligent Uniform" stops students from doing truancy Luizao876 35 19,628 10-09-2012 06:13 AM
Last Post: Trekkie_Aspie
  Talked to a truancy officer Stadium 13 5,021 02-01-2012 09:13 AM
Last Post: Dirtbikemike
  Truancy is a dick, isn't it? AgnosticFrostyGun 8 3,517 01-04-2011 12:55 AM
Last Post: Psychoqueen
  Kids' Health - Truancy AWOL 13 6,224 03-02-2010 04:28 AM
Last Post: The Desert Fox
  Advice for Truancy PSA needed Amortisatie 6 4,119 02-28-2010 04:58 PM
Last Post: Amortisatie
  Truancy Bullshit LOON_ATTIC 11 8,582 02-11-2010 03:28 AM
Last Post: AMomentOfClarity