RIP School Survival Forums
August 2001 - June 2017

The School Survival Forums are permanently retired. If you need help with quitting school, unsupportive parents or anything else, there is a list of resources on the Help Page.

If you want to write about your experiences in school, you can write on our blog.

To everyone who joined these forums at some point, and got discouraged by the negativity and left after a while (or even got literally scared off): I'm sorry.

I wasn't good enough at encouraging people to be kinder, and removing people who refuse to be kind. Encouraging people is hard, and removing people creates conflict, and I hate conflict... so that's why I wasn't better at it.

I was a very, very sensitive teen. The atmosphere of this forum as it is now, if it had existed in 1996, would probably have upset me far more than it would have helped.

I can handle quite a lot of negativity and even abuse now, but that isn't the point. I want to help people. I want to help the people who need it the most, and I want to help people like the 1996 version of me.

I'm still figuring out the best way to do that, but as it is now, these forums are doing more harm than good, and I can't keep running them.

Thank you to the few people who have tried to understand my point of view so far. I really, really appreciate you guys. You are beautiful people.

Everyone else: If after everything I've said so far, you still don't understand my motivations, I think it's unlikely that you will. We're just too different. Maybe someday in the future it might make sense, but until then, there's no point in arguing about it. I don't have the time or the energy for arguing anymore. I will focus my time and energy on people who support me, and those who need help.

-SoulRiser

The forums are mostly read-only and are in a maintenance/testing phase, before being permanently archived. Please use this time to get the contact details of people you'd like to keep in touch with. My contact details are here.

Please do not make a mirror copy of the forums in their current state - things will still change, and some people have requested to be able to edit or delete some of their personal info.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Events
Leon Kinotolian Offline
Admincat

Given 11 thank(s) in 9 post(s)
Events

It's truly intriguing how a single occurance can influence one's life, and potentially that of others. A mistake, a split-second decision, an emotion, a regret, or even something as mundane and commonplace as a wrong step. One lone event can deploy endless ripples throughout your personal ocean of life.

I don't preach to be the most philosophical individual living on this planet, nor am I the most intelligent or wisest amongst our race. However, in my nineteen years, I find that I have attained a wisdom of the world and life that the vast majority of my generation will either experience when they are much older, or never know in this lifetime. This wisdom hails from specific events in my life, and that of past lives, that have irrevocably altered the way in which I view both reality and fantasy.

I sobered to the irrefutable, adamantium-clad laws of the universe at a young age, matured shortly thereafter, and continue to build upon my wisdom with each passing year, every month, every week, every day, every second. I learned from experience what to recognize as honest truth, and what conceals itself as an intricate lie. With such intimate insight into reality, one fact will inevitably unfurl before your mind and embed itself into your very soul: Nothing is outside of your grasp. A great myriad of goals becomes attainable, for you have learned to differentiate what is real, and what is not. Anything, and everything, can be yours, with determination, patience, and wisdom.

Ultimately, even this truth can become stifled by the metaphorical wrench in your plans, the roadblock in your path. Even this most grandiose of realizations will elude your sight once more, should a single event occur. Everything can be changed by the occurance of one small, unrelated event.

One event can destroy even the wisest of minds. One event can shatter lifelong progress before your very eyes. One event, truly, will rule the course of your life. That is all it will take. That is all it ever takes, every single time.

Nothing can change life's ultimate, and most vital of laws:

Events shape the path that reality takes, for better, or worse.

*Tentaclerape*
Hidden stuff:
The Desert Fox Wrote:
Rebelnerd Wrote:Avatar was an inside job.
For $9.11 I'll give you an inside job.
Raikuron Wrote:Okay. I fail. DISREGARD THAT EVERYONE, I SUCK COCKS!
BaronVonStrangle Wrote:fox you should take everything mystery says with a pinch of salt

and by pinch of salt i actually mean you need to build a fucking salt processing plant so you have enough salt to dispell the bullshit
06-07-2011 05:53 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Faby Offline
work in progress

Given 61 thank(s) in 45 post(s)
Re: Events

Quote:One event, truly, will rule the course of your life.

Why just one?

And why can't an overwritten realisation come anew at the hands of a new event? Lessons can be replayed.

Anyway, I don't put much credence into this. Deep changes never come from a brief moment of epiphany, and a lifetime of tragedy doesn't spark in a second.

It's the long, grey, complex processes that shape us, not meaningless, spur-of-the-moment events.

Let go of all desire for the common good, and the good becomes common as grass.

~~

Good fortune follows upon disaster;
Disaster lurks within good fortune;
Who can say how things will end?
Perhaps there is no end.
06-07-2011 06:22 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Leon Kinotolian Offline
Admincat

Given 11 thank(s) in 9 post(s)

Faby Wrote:

Why just one?

And why can't an overwritten realisation come anew at the hands of a new event? Lessons can be replayed.
I guess I worded that pretty crappily. On the other hand, I'd also just come in from the scathing sun, so I probably could've typed this entire thing out a lot more coherently.

What I mean is one event can change things, but it's not the only one. Obviously more can come after it, overwrite the progress. If it couldn't, it wouldn't make any sense to begin with.

*Tentaclerape*
Hidden stuff:
The Desert Fox Wrote:
Rebelnerd Wrote:Avatar was an inside job.
For $9.11 I'll give you an inside job.
Raikuron Wrote:Okay. I fail. DISREGARD THAT EVERYONE, I SUCK COCKS!
BaronVonStrangle Wrote:fox you should take everything mystery says with a pinch of salt

and by pinch of salt i actually mean you need to build a fucking salt processing plant so you have enough salt to dispell the bullshit
06-07-2011 06:31 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Blobthe15 Offline
stereotypical agnsty teenager

Given 5 thank(s) in 5 post(s)

Leon Kinotolian Wrote:
Faby Wrote:

Why just one?

I guess I worded that pretty crappily. On the other hand, I'd also just come in from the scathing sun, so I probably could've typed this entire thing out a lot more coherently.

What I mean is one event can change things, but it's not the only one. Obviously more can come after it, overwrite the progress. If it couldn't, it wouldn't make any sense to begin with.

It doesn't make any sense to begin with. That is all.

Hidden stuff:
Rebelnerd:
Again, I agree with you. School does teach you things. And once again, you are missing the point entirely. It's not that I disagree with school's mission or the things it teaches. What I object to is that the students are deprived of any choice in the matter. As benign as the intentions may be, any system that forces people into an environment where they have no say in their lives is a situation ripe for abuse of power.

I am Blobthe15, creator of threads that die too quickly.

Hidden stuff:
[Image: 58jT6.gif]
Weswammy Wrote:
The Desert Fox Wrote:Down with Soulriser! It is time for the God of Gods to become the Fallen God of Fallen Gods!
You'll end up like Prometheus, chained to a rock with a bird eating your internal organs.

Or as close as that can be recreated on an internet forum.
[Image: oC8W8.png]

(02-08-2012 01:06 PM)Lunatic Wrote:  everyone says emo is like a music style or hair stile or clothing or cutting yourself but i think its like a sexuality just like being gay but a different kind of gay just like transexuals you know
06-07-2011 10:08 AM
HeartofShadows Offline
Fanatic

Given 80 thank(s) in 73 post(s)

That was very beautiful random cat and so very true..
Vatman would be peeved that somebody is taking his spot and have you seen the movie falling down?

[Image: WARZONES_subs_hostility.png]
image hosting jpg
06-07-2011 11:54 AM
SoulRiser Offline
Site Founder

Given 1978 thank(s) in 1208 post(s)

That was quite a lot of bragging for one post. Razz

It's true though, one seemingly small event can have a huge influence on everything that comes after that.

"If you can, help others; if you cannot do that, at least do not harm them." - Dalai Lama
Help & Support - Get help with leaving school, unsupportive parents, and more.
Click here if school makes you depressed or suicidal

Support School Survival on Patreon or Donate Bitcoin Here: 1Q5WCcxWjayniaL92b8GfXBiGdfjmnUNa2
"Believe those who are seeking the truth. Doubt those who find it." - André Paul Guillaume Gide
"The true sign of intelligence is not knowledge but imagination." - Albert Einstein
"I'm pretty sure there's a lot of beauty that can only be found in the mind of a lunatic." - TheCancer
EIPD - Emotionally Incompetent Parent Disorder

Push Button for Collection of Useful Links:
Hidden stuff:
06-07-2011 12:01 PM
Absnt Offline
Fanatic

Given 184 thank(s) in 127 post(s)

SoulRiser Wrote:That was quite a lot of bragging for one post. Razz

It's true though, one seemingly small event can have a huge influence on everything that comes after that.

I believe him though. At least, that's the way it seems. The majority of our peers, when you talk to them, seem like they aren't concerned with truth or philosophy, what's real or what's happening, only what football team is winning or which team everyone supports. I don't mean to be braggish, but go out and tell me I'm wrong... I feel as though you'll find, at least if you come to my school, very, very few people who think about things outside of the small bubble of reality school, T.V and family has created for us.

And that might be o.k, but I, like most of us here, prefer to think on a broader scale.

Blog I post to now:
http://blog.darknedgy.net

Edfreedom.org -- An organization for more freedom in education.
http://www.edfreedom.org/join-us/
06-07-2011 12:04 PM
UnschoolShqiponjë Offline
Fanatic

Given 221 thank(s) in 148 post(s)

Quote:The majority of our peers, when you talk to them, seem like they aren't concerned with truth or philosophy, what's real or what's happening, only what football team is winning or which team everyone supports.

The funniest thing is I have noticed that aside from children (like under 10) most others are like this... philosophy doesn't interest them. Sometimes it ruins my game when I am at a bar and I get too into philosophical discussions lmao

Live until you die
[Image: Untitled-1.png]
06-07-2011 12:07 PM
Absnt Offline
Fanatic

UnschoolShqiponjë Wrote:
Quote:The majority of our peers, when you talk to them, seem like they aren't concerned with truth or philosophy, what's real or what's happening, only what football team is winning or which team everyone supports.

The funniest thing is I have noticed that aside from children (like under 10) most others are like this... philosophy doesn't interest them. Sometimes it ruins my game when I am at a bar and I get too into philosophical discussions lmao
I guess it's not really just philosophy, but the overall understanding of things outside of the mindless bubble that is daily life in the system. And I guess your right. I've seen a shitload of adults act the same way with sports and things like that.

Blog I post to now:

06-07-2011 12:20 PM
HeartofShadows Offline
Fanatic

Given 80 thank(s) in 73 post(s)

I guess I was the only one who ignored the bragging.
Guess I'm to used to it.

[Image: WARZONES_subs_hostility.png]
image hosting jpg
06-07-2011 12:30 PM
Absnt Offline
Fanatic

HeartofShadows Wrote:I guess I was the only one who ignored the bragging.
Guess I'm to used to it.

Sure, but is the bragging not justified?

Blog I post to now:

06-07-2011 12:38 PM
SoulRiser Offline
Site Founder

I like to think I'm smarter than other people, and that I think about things other people don't, but I don't actually like the fact that I think of myself like that. I think that it's dangerous to think too highly of myself, if I get too convinced that I'm smarter or better than other people, I won't be able to handle it if/when someone else comes up with a better idea than me. Or is smarter than me in some way. And I won't want to admit it when I'm wrong... and I will be wrong about stuff. I'll be too convinced that my explanation for something (which I might call 'truth' if I'm feeling particularly arrogant) is the correct one, that I won't even be willing to think about other possible explanations.

So... yeah, it kind of irks me when people talk/write in an arrogant sort of way, or use the word 'truth'. Even when they're right about all the stuff they're saying...

"If you can, help others; if you cannot do that, at least do not harm them." - Dalai Lama

Support School Survival on Patreon or Donate Bitcoin Here: 1Q5WCcxWjayniaL92b8GfXBiGdfjmnUNa2
"Believe those who are seeking the truth. Doubt those who find it." - André Paul Guillaume Gide
"The true sign of intelligence is not knowledge but imagination." - Albert Einstein
"I'm pretty sure there's a lot of beauty that can only be found in the mind of a lunatic." - TheCancer

Hidden stuff:
06-08-2011 07:29 PM
Absnt Offline
Fanatic

I see were your coming from, but still. I don't think I'm the first person here to claim that the masses aren't paying enough attention. And when someone says the masses aren't paying attention, it usually implies that the person stating that IS paying attention.

Blog I post to now:

06-09-2011 09:29 AM
SoulRiser Offline
Site Founder

Still, it's possible to do that without sounding arrogant.

Hidden stuff:
06-10-2011 01:45 AM
Absnt Offline
Fanatic

That's no fun. Laugh

I concede.

Blog I post to now:

06-10-2011 03:22 AM

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Staying up to date with current events psychopath 8 3,336 12-17-2010 02:52 PM
Last Post: Absnt