RIP School Survival Forums
August 2001 - June 2017

The School Survival Forums are permanently retired. If you need help with quitting school, unsupportive parents or anything else, there is a list of resources on the Help Page.

If you want to write about your experiences in school, you can write on our blog.

To everyone who joined these forums at some point, and got discouraged by the negativity and left after a while (or even got literally scared off): I'm sorry.

I wasn't good enough at encouraging people to be kinder, and removing people who refuse to be kind. Encouraging people is hard, and removing people creates conflict, and I hate conflict... so that's why I wasn't better at it.

I was a very, very sensitive teen. The atmosphere of this forum as it is now, if it had existed in 1996, would probably have upset me far more than it would have helped.

I can handle quite a lot of negativity and even abuse now, but that isn't the point. I want to help people. I want to help the people who need it the most, and I want to help people like the 1996 version of me.

I'm still figuring out the best way to do that, but as it is now, these forums are doing more harm than good, and I can't keep running them.

Thank you to the few people who have tried to understand my point of view so far. I really, really appreciate you guys. You are beautiful people.

Everyone else: If after everything I've said so far, you still don't understand my motivations, I think it's unlikely that you will. We're just too different. Maybe someday in the future it might make sense, but until then, there's no point in arguing about it. I don't have the time or the energy for arguing anymore. I will focus my time and energy on people who support me, and those who need help.

-SoulRiser

The forums are mostly read-only and are in a maintenance/testing phase, before being permanently archived. Please use this time to get the contact details of people you'd like to keep in touch with. My contact details are here.

Please do not make a mirror copy of the forums in their current state - things will still change, and some people have requested to be able to edit or delete some of their personal info.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
It Is The Things Like These That Piss Me Off....
IllusoryDeath Away
~become away~

Given 8 thank(s) in 8 post(s)
It Is The Things Like These That Piss Me Off....

None .... :<_<: .... :>_>: .... Censored!!!

This year my school has a program (called HOT for Huskies on Track....a Husky is our mascot -.-) for 'above-average' students that gets them school privileges for having good grades, not getting any detentions, having superb attendance, and 'good behavior' all around. You get things like school supplies, lunch passes (ie - you get to leave class to go to lunch a few minutes before everyone else does, which I think is utter BS), discounts on prom & sporting event tickets & even the yearbooks, and coupons for the school's snack shack. They even have ranks:
Silver Level: 4.0 to 3.5 GPA
Blue Level: 3.0 to 3.499 GPA
White Level: 2.0 to 2.99 GPA
(The school colors are blue & white, so that is why they are representative of the latter two instead of bronze or whatever else.)

During my second block class the other day, the vice-principal came in with a bunch of passes that he read off in quite the serious tone of voice -- I was one of the people called -- and with no explanation as to what it was; just that we were to go straight to the auditorium when the 3rd period bell rang.
I was thinking to myself "OK, wtf did I do wrong," and then "This doesn't make sense," because everyone who was called was A) A+ students & B) female. I asked one of the other girls who had been named what it was for and she informed me that it was concerning a tutor-program that had been offered up a few weeks earlier to kids who need CAS (IB volunteer) hours. Basically, it's juniors & seniors paired with freshman for help on homework. Thing is, I never signed up for it, so I decided then and there not to go because I had chemistry next hour and we always take *important* notes in the beginning of class necessary to complete the home work. (Believe me, I would NOT be staying after school to make up those damnable notes.)

Anyway, at the very end of 2nd hr class the announcements came on saying that all members of the HOT program should go down to the auditorium, which creates major confusion for me because the girl who said that it was for the tutoring thing knew what she was talking about....but the HOT program? Wtf? (PSSST: Here's the moral of this storySmile So I ended up going to chemistry anyway because I think that HOT is a poorly concealed "DO MOAR WORKS AN GEET GUD GRADES" program for teachers' pets (plus it turned out that we were covering a whole helluva lot in chem. during those first forty minutes where those who went to the auditorium were being fed their 'school-is-fuuuun!' propaganda).

Moving on. Next day in 2nd block English the girl who sits in front of me turns around and says "Are you in the HOT program?" I replied, "Apparently, even though I didn't sign up for the thing - what is it, anyway?" Her boyfriend who was sitting right next to her & apparently had attended the thing the day before (guess it was only all-females in my classroom, then) told me "It's that tutoring thing where you help out freshman. Mr. (vise-principal-guy who's name I shall conceal for the sake of morality) signed up a bunch of people who have good GPAs." Then the girl continued, "Yeah, Mr. (vise-principal-guy) told me to tell you that you need to talk to him." (You know, because I didn't attend this VOLUNTEER meeting I shouldn't even have been a part of.)

Upset Excuse me??! I have enough problems without Mr. All-High-And-Mighty taking the liberty of signing me up for a program that I DO NOT WANT TO DO and never even friggin' SIGNED-ON FOR. Does it tick any of you else off that the vice-principal thinks that since a kid has decent grades they automatically would want to jump at any chance of doing anything & everything pro-school?
Plus, the HOT program is a reward system, not this tutor thing. Disorganization, much? Get your dominoes straight, ya' fucks.

Needless to say, it pissed me off. I will be damned if I go talk to him. It's not an issue, really, because they won't (and bloody can't) force anyone to join up, but it's still GRRRBLARGH. -.- I myself find the HOT program to be a joke and the tutor thing is of no interest.

Don't know what I'm ranting about, exactly. The whole thing just threw me off, I guess. This whole week has been *insert groan here* - drama/bitchy peers, overload of homework, huge deadlines looming on the horizon, and little things like the above situation just turing my mood to shit.

E-hugs welcomed.
09-24-2009 11:41 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Loxor Offline
Fanatic

Given 11 thank(s) in 10 post(s)
Re: It Is The Things Like These That Piss Me Off....

O.o

Hug

Love the MANDATORY volunteer work.

I like to sit at a 3.7 gpa myself to save trouble.

Anything that ever happened or will... one condition, it has to be amazing.

I gave her wings but she don't wanna fly no more.

I'm sittin' on the dock of the bay
Watching the tide roll away
Ooo, I'm just sittin' on the dock of the bay
Wastin' time
09-24-2009 11:43 AM
CrayolaColours Offline
Fanatic

Given 28 thank(s) in 25 post(s)

Loxor Wrote:O.o

Hug

Love the MANDATORY volunteer work.

I like to sit at a 3.7 gpa myself to save trouble.
Pretty much this.
Hug

Idiot. The reason I hate school ladies and gentlemen.

[Image: True-Blood-Banner-true-blood-2196368-500-82.jpg]
Faith o' Meter
-{|||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||}-
Quote:Riddle me this, riddle me that. Give me a straight answer, you pain in the ass cat.
09-24-2009 11:51 AM
Stealth Offline
Revolutionary

Given 2 thank(s) in 1 post(s)

We have the same thing except it's called Quiet Achievers.

The so called rewards they have is either an excursion or an incursion,watching a movie or being in a play/watching.

It's to make kids believe school is fun and it's also to piss off those who aren't deemed to be "good".

Drum and Bass>>>>>>>>>Dubstep
09-24-2009 08:46 PM
random_name Offline
Fanatic

Given 15 thank(s) in 15 post(s)

Thats BS Hug Hug Hug Hug Hug Hug Hug Hug Hug Hug

They can't force you into it - just refuse to go, of if you absolutely have to talk to the Vice Principal, just tell him you dont want to do it, and never signed up for it. Volunteer should be the operative word, here.

BTW - how do GPA's work? We don't have them over in England i dont think.

Hidden stuff:
"A 'no' uttered from deepest conviction is better and greater than a 'yes' merely uttered to please, or what is worse, to avoid trouble." - Mahatma Gandhi

"The irrationality of a thing is no argument against its existence, rather a condition of it."

"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy."
-Ben Franklin

"when I was a kid I used to pray for a bicycle. then I realized that god doesn't work that way. so I stole one and prayed for forgiveness."
"I would rather die for something I believe in than live for anything else."
"What is the task of higher education? To make a man into a machine. What are the means employed? He is taught how to suffer being bored." – F W Nietzsche
[Image: s-event.png]
09-25-2009 02:07 AM
Reptorian Offline
Fanatic

Given 18 thank(s) in 13 post(s)

IllusoryDeath Wrote:Don't know what I'm ranting about, exactly.

I don't know what you're ranting about either, but my guess would be that you hate the fact that people who tends to get good grades gets better privilege while you're not in the desire to help freshman. They can't legally force you to do it and if you decide to do it, go find some interesting freshman that is rebellious and highly intelligence and you know what to do from there. At least the only positive thing that can be thought out of the whole blocks of text in there is that freshman can at least get less chances of having bitching teachers and parents while not doing too much work.

ZZZ...
09-25-2009 07:32 AM
IllusoryDeath Away
~become away~

Given 8 thank(s) in 8 post(s)

random_name Wrote:They can't force you into it - just refuse to go, of if you absolutely have to talk to the Vice Principal, just tell him you dont want to do it, and never signed up for it. Volunteer should be the operative word, here.

BTW - how do GPA's work? We don't have them over in England i dont think.

Yeah, I am definitely not going to do it. I was asking some other kids why they decided to even though they originally didn't sighn up for it, but were chosen. All they did was shrug and say, "I dunno....I need CAS hours I guess." None

GPAs strands for Grade Point Average, and is on a 0.000 to 4.0 scale (at least where I am - some schools go to 4.5). The higher your grades, the higher the number. For example, I have five As and one B, so my GPA is going to be around 3.862. You get a GPA every tri-term (three a semester) and at the end of the year you get the cumulative GPA, which is the average of all six GPAs you got throughout the year. This is what colleges look at.
Usually, 2.5-3.0 is average, while anything below isn't so great, and anything above is pretty good.
Overview: The more As you have, the higher your GPA.
I think that the overall grading system in England is different, though. So our A would be equivalent to your highest # score.

StylizedCarfan1 Wrote:if you decide to do it, go find some interesting freshman that is rebellious and highly intelligence and you know what to do from there. At least the only positive thing that can be thought out of the whole blocks of text in there is that freshman can at least get less chances of having bitching teachers and parents while not doing too much work.

Well, they pair you with the freshman - you don't get to choose which two you want to tutor. -.- But no, I wouldn't do it any way. I already have heaps on my late and don't like to bite off more than I can chew.
09-25-2009 07:52 AM

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  What do teachers do to piss you off? (WARNING: Bad Words) SchoolIsPrison333 8 2,906 03-19-2017 01:04 PM
Last Post: James Comey
  Parents that piss me off. Wingless 12 6,698 05-08-2012 03:47 PM
Last Post: Prince Rilian
  Types of people that piss you off Miller0700 75 24,247 04-15-2012 07:48 AM
Last Post: fish20
  Phrases that piss you off Miller0700 23 4,487 07-03-2011 07:38 AM
Last Post: Prince Rilian