RIP School Survival Forums
August 2001 - June 2017

The School Survival Forums are permanently retired. If you need help with quitting school, unsupportive parents or anything else, there is a list of resources on the Help Page.

If you want to write about your experiences in school, you can write on our blog.

To everyone who joined these forums at some point, and got discouraged by the negativity and left after a while (or even got literally scared off): I'm sorry.

I wasn't good enough at encouraging people to be kinder, and removing people who refuse to be kind. Encouraging people is hard, and removing people creates conflict, and I hate conflict... so that's why I wasn't better at it.

I was a very, very sensitive teen. The atmosphere of this forum as it is now, if it had existed in 1996, would probably have upset me far more than it would have helped.

I can handle quite a lot of negativity and even abuse now, but that isn't the point. I want to help people. I want to help the people who need it the most, and I want to help people like the 1996 version of me.

I'm still figuring out the best way to do that, but as it is now, these forums are doing more harm than good, and I can't keep running them.

Thank you to the few people who have tried to understand my point of view so far. I really, really appreciate you guys. You are beautiful people.

Everyone else: If after everything I've said so far, you still don't understand my motivations, I think it's unlikely that you will. We're just too different. Maybe someday in the future it might make sense, but until then, there's no point in arguing about it. I don't have the time or the energy for arguing anymore. I will focus my time and energy on people who support me, and those who need help.

-SoulRiser

The forums are mostly read-only and are in a maintenance/testing phase, before being permanently archived. Please use this time to get the contact details of people you'd like to keep in touch with. My contact details are here.

Please do not make a mirror copy of the forums in their current state - things will still change, and some people have requested to be able to edit or delete some of their personal info.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
switching from normal school to online
Rookie Offline
Rebel

Given 0 thank(s) in 0 post(s)
switching from normal school to online

I wanted to know if Its possible to switch to online school while you're in regular school. It's only been a few weeks of school and it sucks. Its the same as last year, only they give you homework everynight from almost every class. Seriously what the f$%^.

three words to describe this year : ITS F#$&ing HORRIBLE

Буш ест котов, я являюсь серьезным
09-29-2009 11:48 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
IllusoryDeath Away
~become away~

Given 8 thank(s) in 8 post(s)
Re: switching from normal school to online

You sure can, but it will make getting into college more difficult....if you plan on attending, that is.

You would have to take remedial courses for the first year of college.
Scholarships will hardly even bother looking at you, and many universities won't be as happy-go-lucky to have you join up with them.
Have to pay more for the ACT & SAT, and even the preps.
Must make sure that the online schooling sites are credible - if they're not, then you won't be able to get a real diploma certifying that you graduated.
Also, a problem that I ran across a few months earlier when doing research into it for my own sake: My state does not have any certified webschools - not by the government, anyway. Without that....well, any work you do will not go towards getting credits to graduate. Just a thought to keep in mind.
Many online schooling programs cost money. Not buckets-full, but still a bit o' cash.
Those are just a few things, but there aren't too many more and anyone could overcome them, really.

& of course, online schooling has a lot of pluses:

You set your own time limits, which in turn teaches some HXC responsibility, and gives you a sense of freedom (I would imagine....) all on your very own terms.
More comfortable environment to work in.
Able to focus more clearly on your work and have the opportunity to learn more of the things that you want to as opposed to what public/private schools offer in their curricula.
You will more than likely be able to finish up your 'school' day a lot earlier than you would being in a priso- er, I mean, learning establishment for 6+ hrs a day, five days a week if you discipline yourself to get your work done. That means that you would be able to graduate earlier than those in a public school would....but the downside is that you will still have to wait until your 'graduating year' (as in, that which correlates with your age and/or class year) to attend college anyway. Unfair, I know, but still reality nonetheless. :\

What year of school are you? It might be easier to do it earlier on than, say, junior year (where transcripts are very important & you'll want to be settled by then) or senior year of high school (why even bother by then?).

Also, a major factor is getting your parents to agree to it. Having their support can make things go a helluva lot smoother in the short term & long-run.

Good luck, and my your choice be wise. Smile
09-29-2009 12:03 PM
Rookie Offline
Rebel

I'm in JR high. Theres an online school called "minnesota virtual highschool" which is probably free.

Буш ест котов, я являюсь серьезным
09-29-2009 12:31 PM
The Desert Fox Offline
Waging war with conviction

Given 102 thank(s) in 75 post(s)

I'm currently doing online schooling. best schooling move I've ever done.

Hidden stuff:
(11-27-2011 01:00 PM)psychopath Wrote:  
(11-27-2011 10:52 AM)Efs Wrote:  Our Army is more professional than Amerika. Smile
Except ours isn't allowed to have guns
CrayolaColours Wrote:That post owned. TDF wins post of the year.
Faby Wrote:
krissy Wrote:dessert fox
Mmm, flambéed vulpine.
"There is no enemy, there is no victory, only boys who lost their lives in the sand."
[/center]
09-30-2009 05:43 PM
animatrix Offline
Rebel

I'm doing Oklahoma Virtual High School, and I could say I feel alot better than when I was in a regular school building.

Love life and life will love you back.

Love people and they will love you back.

- Arthur Rubinstein
10-01-2009 10:47 AM
Colin Offline
Pariah

Given 14 thank(s) in 12 post(s)

Arizona Virtual Academy here. It's awesome. If you can wait till the end of this semester, I think that k12 programs will sign you up for their next semester. It's free, too.

PLEASE, TELL US JUSTIN
[Image: ubd5511.png]
10-05-2009 07:53 AM

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  International online high school SoulRiser 2 3,445 04-24-2017 12:30 PM
Last Post: James Comey
  Church of Reality: They want to create an online school Doc Johnson 25 7,688 06-21-2013 02:56 PM
Last Post: brainiac3397
  Free Georgia Online High School for Second Semester? Z3roDread 7 3,878 01-14-2010 08:19 AM
Last Post: SoulRiser
  Online High School in MN Eidolon 15 8,914 05-03-2008 03:52 PM
Last Post: SoulRiser