RIP School Survival Forums
August 2001 - June 2017

The School Survival Forums are permanently retired. If you need help with quitting school, unsupportive parents or anything else, there is a list of resources on the Help Page.

If you want to write about your experiences in school, you can write on our blog.

To everyone who joined these forums at some point, and got discouraged by the negativity and left after a while (or even got literally scared off): I'm sorry.

I wasn't good enough at encouraging people to be kinder, and removing people who refuse to be kind. Encouraging people is hard, and removing people creates conflict, and I hate conflict... so that's why I wasn't better at it.

I was a very, very sensitive teen. The atmosphere of this forum as it is now, if it had existed in 1996, would probably have upset me far more than it would have helped.

I can handle quite a lot of negativity and even abuse now, but that isn't the point. I want to help people. I want to help the people who need it the most, and I want to help people like the 1996 version of me.

I'm still figuring out the best way to do that, but as it is now, these forums are doing more harm than good, and I can't keep running them.

Thank you to the few people who have tried to understand my point of view so far. I really, really appreciate you guys. You are beautiful people.

Everyone else: If after everything I've said so far, you still don't understand my motivations, I think it's unlikely that you will. We're just too different. Maybe someday in the future it might make sense, but until then, there's no point in arguing about it. I don't have the time or the energy for arguing anymore. I will focus my time and energy on people who support me, and those who need help.

-SoulRiser

The forums are mostly read-only and are in a maintenance/testing phase, before being permanently archived. Please use this time to get the contact details of people you'd like to keep in touch with. My contact details are here.

Please do not make a mirror copy of the forums in their current state - things will still change, and some people have requested to be able to edit or delete some of their personal info.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Song Critique
Thought Criminal Offline
Frame 313

Given 106 thank(s) in 80 post(s)
Song Critique

All The Kings Drugs

Stitches here and stitches there
broken pieces everywhere
someone`s going through a mess
trying to find a little head
there are fingers on the ground
and a heart that`s broken Down
she keeps grabbing round and round
but all the pieces can`t be found

all the kings drugs

this doll she has no face
so she cannot find her place
she`s been searching full of sorrow
and of guilt and of disgrace
and she cannot hide her shame
for the rest - they look the same
and keep telling her she`s different
so she has to be insane

she keeps going through her mind
trying to find a place to hide
all her cries have been denied
the world is gone she`s left behind
now there`s noone she can call
and there`s nowhere left to fall
so she`s aiming at her heart
cus noone wants a broken doll

now,
all the kings drugs
and all the kings men
cannot put this broken doll
together again
10-02-2009 09:26 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Vatman Offline
Foreplay in Ink

Given 98 thank(s) in 67 post(s)
Re: Song Critique

I suppose I shall try; but let me say first that songs aren't poems. For some reason on every single poetry board I post on, one person is convinced that Miley Cyrus is a poet. Horrible musicians aside, even the dynamic duo of John Lennon and Paul McCartney really wouldn't classify as poets in my opinion. Musicians and artists yes, but songwriting is in essence a whole nother science to me. Its about picking the correct iamb and syllabary context with a set of rhythmic bass, and then once you add two or three other instruments it becomes a whole nother ballgame.

Its hard for me to take the literature out of the song, and thus this review takes its shape - sorry, that was abit of an overdone preface but I see no sense in deleting whats already been typed.

Quote:Stitches here and stitches there
broken pieces everywhere
someone`s going through a mess
trying to find a little head
there are fingers on the ground
and a heart that`s broken Down
she keeps grabbing round and round
but all the pieces can`t be found
First I must comment on your rhyme scheme; if that's what you can call it. The first two lines rhyme, the secound two decide not to, the third and forth ones like to think they rhyme (but they don't) and then for some reason the last two lines rhyme with the first one. Even sung there is no way for this stanza to flow in my opinion..

The wording and diction could defiantly be better, but one can't really be to picky in this area afterall.... "living is easy with eyes closed" isn't exactly the epitimay of diction.
Quote:all the kings drugs
Clever ^
Quote:this doll she has no face
so she cannot find her place
and she cannot hide her shame
and keep telling her she`s different
so she has to be insane

This stanza is alot better in its rhyme scheme, and in fact I would say its your best stanza by far; though I would say that you have alot of extra words in this stanza that would be necessary if you were telling a story but since its a song I would say get rid of them...An example of a less wordy version would be something like...
Hidden stuff:
this doll she has no face
she can't find her place
she cannot hide her shame
telling her she`s different
must be insane
That fourth line really needs an rewrite though methinks...
Quote:she keeps going through her mind
trying to find a place to hide
all her cries have been denied
the world is gone she`s left behind
now there`s noone she can call
and there`s nowhere left to fall
so she`s aiming at her heart
cus noone wants a broken doll

I liked that last two lines...
Quote:now,
all the kings drugs
and all the kings men
cannot put this broken doll
together again

Again, very clever...but I would get rid of "cannot" and "now"...replacing them with "couldn't" and "and then" respectivly

I don't really know how to rate it overall, I like it, I am assuming this is going to be allitle indie-punk-metaly so I would say it is a good first draft... Needs a rewrite or two and it can be a fine song.

Some cupid kills with arrows, some with traps.
10-08-2009 06:14 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  story, please critique-the misanthrope atheistjew 0 2,035 11-30-2011 05:27 PM
Last Post: atheistjew
  The Critique Thread Vatman 17 3,144 10-03-2009 06:36 PM
Last Post: aaaaaaasd
  Poem about school, give a critique. the forgotten 4 2,418 06-03-2009 01:47 PM
Last Post: LOON_ATTIC