RIP School Survival Forums
August 2001 - June 2017

The School Survival Forums are permanently retired. If you need help with quitting school, unsupportive parents or anything else, there is a list of resources on the Help Page.

If you want to write about your experiences in school, you can write on our blog.

To everyone who joined these forums at some point, and got discouraged by the negativity and left after a while (or even got literally scared off): I'm sorry.

I wasn't good enough at encouraging people to be kinder, and removing people who refuse to be kind. Encouraging people is hard, and removing people creates conflict, and I hate conflict... so that's why I wasn't better at it.

I was a very, very sensitive teen. The atmosphere of this forum as it is now, if it had existed in 1996, would probably have upset me far more than it would have helped.

I can handle quite a lot of negativity and even abuse now, but that isn't the point. I want to help people. I want to help the people who need it the most, and I want to help people like the 1996 version of me.

I'm still figuring out the best way to do that, but as it is now, these forums are doing more harm than good, and I can't keep running them.

Thank you to the few people who have tried to understand my point of view so far. I really, really appreciate you guys. You are beautiful people.

Everyone else: If after everything I've said so far, you still don't understand my motivations, I think it's unlikely that you will. We're just too different. Maybe someday in the future it might make sense, but until then, there's no point in arguing about it. I don't have the time or the energy for arguing anymore. I will focus my time and energy on people who support me, and those who need help.

-SoulRiser

The forums are mostly read-only and are in a maintenance/testing phase, before being permanently archived. Please use this time to get the contact details of people you'd like to keep in touch with. My contact details are here.

Please do not make a mirror copy of the forums in their current state - things will still change, and some people have requested to be able to edit or delete some of their personal info.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Being forced to move by your parents-- A breach of rights?
Chrisuru Offline
Revolutionary

Given 0 thank(s) in 0 post(s)
Being forced to move by your parents-- A breach of rights?

These days, when transport is as easy as buying a ticket and hopping on a plane, people move to new places all the time, for many different reasons.

Now thankfully, I've never had to go through that, I've lived in the same house since I was 2 years old and nothing but a major cock-up would make us move house, but unfortunately a lot of people I know haven't been so lucky.

For example, my friend Sarah was born in New York, and has since lived in several places in California, Oregon, and now over here in England. She's lived here about 10 months now, and already her parents want to move again, about 200 miles south. I am of course extremely saddened by this, as she's one of my best friends and I'll miss her.

Quite a few of my other friends have lived in many, many houses in their time, gotten settled and made new friends, only to be uprooted once again.

To be forced to move to a new place by your parents for whatever reason, a new job or whatever, is that a breach of human rights? Are we entitled to choose where we live, or does that privelige remain with our parents as long as we are in their custody?

Discuss, and anyone who has moved house a lot before share your stories.
10-23-2009 04:56 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
AWOL Offline
The Spooning Bard

Given 36 thank(s) in 34 post(s)
Re: Being forced to move by your parents-- A breach of rights?

I'm afraid that it belongs to your folks.

[Image: 9be30a7.png]
[Image: LyingFloraBanner.jpg]
10-23-2009 06:36 AM
~Mystery~ Offline
Fanatic

Given 22 thank(s) in 18 post(s)

Sorry but there are no youth rights being breached.

Unless you count the fact youth don't recieve direct personal income to be a breach as I do.

People act unaware that the human body is a walking pharmacy![Image: rolleyes.gif]~David Icke~
Religion was invented to keep the poor from harrasing the rich"~Napoleon Bonaparte~
Do As Thou Wilt Shall Be The Whole of The Law! ~The Secret Order of Thelema~
"Respect goes to those who do not want it" ~TrueAnarchist~
"The only limitations that a person has are those that are self-imposed." ~Unknown!~
“Attraction is an emotion.~Dr. Alex~
“Life is an illusion albeit a very persistent one” ~Albert Einstein

I Am A Messenger From The Seduction Community!
Mint Member
10-23-2009 07:17 AM
Hanny Offline
Fanatic

Given 6 thank(s) in 6 post(s)

It's not really fair, not sure about rights.

[Image: 72eoaf.gif]
<Darthmat> I love the taste of meat in my mouth. Cory, I don't know how you live without it.
<Darthmat> "Forbidden meat tastes sweetest."

Penisometer
8======================================================================o
Conclusion: Still a penis.
10-23-2009 07:59 AM
Liquid Offline
poison - do not drink

Given 2 thank(s) in 2 post(s)

I haven't thought about this before,

If it can be a breach of rights then I guess it'd be a bit complicated. If they're moving for a job, someone could argue that they are moving so that you will still have food to eat...

//

[Image: techhoops5.jpg]
10-23-2009 10:23 AM
The Desert Fox Offline
Waging war with conviction

Given 102 thank(s) in 75 post(s)

Sadly, no legal issues here.

Hidden stuff:
(11-27-2011 01:00 PM)psychopath Wrote:  
(11-27-2011 10:52 AM)Efs Wrote:  Our Army is more professional than Amerika. Smile
Except ours isn't allowed to have guns
CrayolaColours Wrote:That post owned. TDF wins post of the year.
Faby Wrote:
krissy Wrote:dessert fox
Mmm, flambéed vulpine.
"There is no enemy, there is no victory, only boys who lost their lives in the sand."
[/center]
10-23-2009 11:31 AM
Chrisuru Offline
Revolutionary

Given 0 thank(s) in 0 post(s)

Hmm.. Yeah, I don't think there's any laws actually being broken, but I do think that rights are being broken in a moral sense.

After all, Sarah has only just gotten used to life in Britain, and misses her home in America terribly. Not being made easier by the large proportion of bullies in my school, either. However, now, just as she's getting settled and stuff, she's being moved against her will, AGAIN. And it's not like her dad doesn't actually have a job, either. If that's fair, then my name's Ermintrude.
10-24-2009 06:15 AM
Eidolon Away
Fanatic

Given 37 thank(s) in 25 post(s)

Taking choice away from the individual is a grave injustice.

While it is not fair that she is being made to move away, it would be unfair for her parents if they had to stay and take care of her because she wanted to stay.

However, if she has the means to live on her own away from her parents, then, by all means, she should be allowed to.
10-24-2009 08:12 AM
youpplrsogay Offline
Revolutionary

Given 1 thank(s) in 1 post(s)

Cheddar Wrote:These days, when transport is as easy as buying a ticket and hopping on a plane, people move to new places all the time, for many different reasons.

Now thankfully, I've never had to go through that, I've lived in the same house since I was 2 years old and nothing but a major cock-up would make us move house, but unfortunately a lot of people I know haven't been so lucky.

For example, my friend Sarah was born in New York, and has since lived in several places in California, Oregon, and now over here in England. She's lived here about 10 months now, and already her parents want to move again, about 200 miles south. I am of course extremely saddened by this, as she's one of my best friends and I'll miss her.

Quite a few of my other friends have lived in many, many houses in their time, gotten settled and made new friends, only to be uprooted once again.

To be forced to move to a new place by your parents for whatever reason, a new job or whatever, is that a breach of human rights? Are we entitled to choose where we live, or does that privelige remain with our parents as long as we are in their custody?

Discuss, and anyone who has moved house a lot before share your stories.

To tell you the absolute truth if you can bring this court you can get your parents in trouble with a good enough lawyer. me <<<<<<<
10-24-2009 08:57 AM
LOON_ATTIC Offline
A NERD

Given 60 thank(s) in 49 post(s)

Who cares about laws? They're written by humans, not gods.
It actually goes down to where you want to go. The law forbids you from living by yourself, you're property of your parents, so the law is violating your rights and makes you have to go wherever your parents go.
Laws may or may not be wrong. They're not always right.

[Image: glorious666.png]
10-24-2009 10:22 AM
~Mystery~ Offline
Fanatic

Lunatic Wrote:Who cares about laws? They're written by humans, not gods.
It actually goes down to where you want to go. The law forbids you from living by yourself, you're property of your parents, so the law is violating your rights and makes you have to go wherever your parents go.

I agree with this

People act unaware that the human body is a walking pharmacy![Image: rolleyes.gif]~David Icke~
Religion was invented to keep the poor from harrasing the rich"~Napoleon Bonaparte~
"The only limitations that a person has are those that are self-imposed." ~Unknown!~

Mint Member
10-24-2009 10:26 AM
Night Offline
Queen Mod

Given 372 thank(s) in 211 post(s)

Neh, i think being forced to move would suck. Now i wouldn't know, i've only ever lived in 3 houses, 2 of whihc where in the same town...
But i can imagine how crappy it would be.
I think parents should get their kids' opinions first...

I'm a girl ffffeck
Hidden stuff:
10-24-2009 02:57 PM
classclown Offline
Fanatic

Given 7 thank(s) in 7 post(s)

unless you can afford to house yourself you have to tag along with your parents. ive moved once and it sucks alot. your best chance would be to see is sarah could live with a friend and stay. but what she really wants is to move back to america it really doesnt matter. the sad fact is she well get use to it. doesnt matter if its wrong, right or other wise.

life is just blah blah blah. we hope for blah, and sometimes we find it. but mostly its blah. and waiting for blah. and hoping you were right about the blahs you made. and when you think you just got the whole blah damn thing figured out, and your surrounded by the ones you blah. death shows up and blah blah blah.
-weeds-

Death may be the greatest of all human blessings. -socrates-

Schooling us to prepare us for the career in need
Not caring about our interests and dreams to heed
10-24-2009 03:20 PM
Sunbourn Offline
Proud crazy cat man

Given 289 thank(s) in 192 post(s)

Lived in the same house my whole life. We were planning on moving but with my parents relationship dissolving that doesn't seem so feasable anymore.

Who am I? Who are YOU?
10-25-2009 02:17 AM
youpplrsogay Offline
Revolutionary

Given 1 thank(s) in 1 post(s)

Lunatic Wrote:Who cares about laws? They're written by humans, not gods.

Because you have to know your parents gave you life and if you dont want to live whatever. But to have freedom you must also have the opposite which is slavery. To protect someone you must almost harm them. Boiling it all down you dont really have to listen to anyone but then people wouldnt be civilized
10-25-2009 02:40 PM
~Mystery~ Offline
Fanatic

youpplrsogay Wrote:Boiling it all down you dont really have to listen to anyone but then people wouldnt be civilized

My opinion is that there are enough resources on the earth to go around, the reason why there is chaos and poverty is because the top 5% people in "Civilized" soceities hog all the wealth.

Of course they hog all the wealth because we play by their rules and treat them as rulers when they're better labled as thieves.

Mint Member
10-25-2009 03:24 PM

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Animal Rights came before Children's Rights SoulRiser 6 6,382 04-18-2017 02:42 PM
Last Post: James Comey