RIP School Survival Forums
August 2001 - June 2017

The School Survival Forums are permanently retired. If you need help with quitting school, unsupportive parents or anything else, there is a list of resources on the Help Page.

If you want to write about your experiences in school, you can write on our blog.

To everyone who joined these forums at some point, and got discouraged by the negativity and left after a while (or even got literally scared off): I'm sorry.

I wasn't good enough at encouraging people to be kinder, and removing people who refuse to be kind. Encouraging people is hard, and removing people creates conflict, and I hate conflict... so that's why I wasn't better at it.

I was a very, very sensitive teen. The atmosphere of this forum as it is now, if it had existed in 1996, would probably have upset me far more than it would have helped.

I can handle quite a lot of negativity and even abuse now, but that isn't the point. I want to help people. I want to help the people who need it the most, and I want to help people like the 1996 version of me.

I'm still figuring out the best way to do that, but as it is now, these forums are doing more harm than good, and I can't keep running them.

Thank you to the few people who have tried to understand my point of view so far. I really, really appreciate you guys. You are beautiful people.

Everyone else: If after everything I've said so far, you still don't understand my motivations, I think it's unlikely that you will. We're just too different. Maybe someday in the future it might make sense, but until then, there's no point in arguing about it. I don't have the time or the energy for arguing anymore. I will focus my time and energy on people who support me, and those who need help.

-SoulRiser

The forums are mostly read-only and are in a maintenance/testing phase, before being permanently archived. Please use this time to get the contact details of people you'd like to keep in touch with. My contact details are here.

Please do not make a mirror copy of the forums in their current state - things will still change, and some people have requested to be able to edit or delete some of their personal info.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Why is school important?
Puerto-Greekan Offline
Rebel

Given 0 thank(s) in 0 post(s)
Why is school important?

I wonder why everyone takes school so seriously.  It's not like you will be able to remember the shit that's shoved down our throats and up our asses by people who only care to make money and to look good but not actually HELP the student.  A lot of it is useless.  
You can drop out of Highschool and get a GED and have the same chance of getting the job.  The GPA does not matter in highschool since Community College will not reject any one.  The University GPA does not matter since employers are only looking for the degree and not the means of getting the degree.  You can have the bare minimum for passing and still get a good paying job cause all they look at is the degree.  Many people think that because you had bad grades and barely paid attention to school makes you a failure which is not true.
 My father skipped over 60 days of his senior year at highschool and dropped out of college with no degree but still is able to make a higher salary than my mother who is working to get her masters degree in education.  Just because you make straight A's does not mean your smarter than someone with a GPA of 1.5.  I kind of have a hate for those people, maybe more like envy because the educational system and general culture tend to label the straight A students as geniuses while calling the rest of us "lazy", "undetermined", or just fucking stupid when this is not true.  Just because your grades are higher dosent mean your smarter than us.  It just means that your better at school like how one is better at video games.  We are just as smart as you and maybe even smarter although I will admit that stupid people exist.
 I am not actually lazy about school like I've been saying but actually trying me damnedest to pass my classes but I almost always end up failing or scraping the barrel.  I'm just not good at school.  I can't be tutored because it's just memorization tools and I can't be taught because I just forget especcially in times of a test.  I am no good at school and in fact hate it more than anything, even more than death (my death, i wish no death on anyone and if i was in a "Saw" movie I would choose school over a love one dying.)  I imagined if I died and went to Hell I'd be in school for all eternity.  I have been so tempted to drop out of school, kill someone, and kill myself over the course of my school years and right now I feel the latter.  I have nightmares about school and am figuring out that is the cause of my insomnia, chest pains, stomach pains, etc.  It's all fucking stress.  Why are we forced to go to a prison almost every day of our lives.  
Yes there are kids in other countries who wish to go to school but that is because they are not forced to learn.  That's like giving somebody a lobster, scolding them because they do not wish to eat it when people in other countries are starving while the guy is allergic to sea-food.  So when someone is struggling in a foreign language class and you think he/she's stupid because they can't pick it up as fast as you do stop and think.  That person probably has a vast knowledge of history when you don't know a thing about it so does you not knowing history make you stupid or ignorant.  No.  Everyone is different and just because they aren't as good as something as you are does not make that person inferior just different.  
10-25-2009 12:53 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Sunbourn Offline
Proud crazy cat man

Given 289 thank(s) in 192 post(s)
Re: Why is school important?

Huge block of text. My eyes hurt. Paragraph it then Ill read it. k thnx

Welcome to SS btw.

Who am I? Who are YOU?
10-25-2009 12:55 PM
Puerto-Greekan Offline
Rebel

Sorry
Wrote that on my Ipod which makes it difficult to do so.
Thanks.
10-25-2009 01:00 PM
Loxor Offline
Fanatic

Given 11 thank(s) in 10 post(s)

Please ignore 5

School is just like a tradition, people are reluctant to remove it because they believe the only way to learn and be successful is school.

What you have stated about grades is completely true, sadly it is the same case as above.

The way school works is outdated and a fairly incompetent way of instructing future generations. You'll just have to find something you can do to lessen the strain, (no suicide or murder kthx), I'll have fun doing what I want not listening to regurgitated info.

As to the stress? Stop taking school seriously, I only do stuff cause I'm interested in it. School also fails because it assumes people can all be treated similarly and show results.

Don't expect people to retell your posts here.

Anything that ever happened or will... one condition, it has to be amazing.

I gave her wings but she don't wanna fly no more.

I'm sittin' on the dock of the bay
Watching the tide roll away
Ooo, I'm just sittin' on the dock of the bay
Wastin' time
10-25-2009 01:04 PM
Puerto-Greekan Offline
Rebel

I know
It was originally something I posted on Facebook with my Ipod and copy pasted it. I did change it to paragraphs though but just hadn't taken out the last part.
10-25-2009 01:07 PM
IllusoryDeath Away
~become away~

Given 8 thank(s) in 8 post(s)

Some good, valid points you raise; especially in the last paragraph concerning people being able to do better in some subjects as compared to others.

Also, welcome to S-S. Smile
10-25-2009 02:18 PM
youpplrsogay Offline
Revolutionary

Given 1 thank(s) in 1 post(s)

Welcome to SS bro. Well there is no point in school. The world would actually be better if there was no school. Because of all the unnecessary carp we have to learn that makes our brain less likely to remember things. If a person wants to be a doctor and really enjoys helping people shouldn't he learn to be a doctor his entire life to better help him instead of having to take like 100 other class that have nothing to do with it? That would like double the rate of which we are going in the present
10-25-2009 02:58 PM
Faby Offline
work in progress

Given 61 thank(s) in 45 post(s)

youpplrsogay Wrote:If a person wants to be a doctor and really enjoys helping people shouldn't he learn to be a doctor his entire life to better help him instead of having to take like 100 other class that have nothing to do with it?

Fucking this. I never understood why doctors have to study literature or arts. I mean, not that there's something wrong with that, or that there aren't any doctors who like reading and doing art stuff, but they should be doing that in their free time, and dedicate themselves fully to learning about the human body. I really dislike people who want to be jacks-of-all-trades.

Also, to kill yourself, or anyone else for that matter, because of school means letting school win. School must be dealt with indifference to the best of our abilities. Just cram enough shit up as necessary to get the minimum grade, and then ignore it. If you want to be a doctor, though, or a teacher... Razz

And about grades... Other than a basis for comparison with how other kids deal in school [read: mental tolerance to having facts shoved up in there] I really doubt that they reflect how much you know about something. People usually just learn memorise really hard before a test or oral examination, get their As, and then forget everything, be it in one day or one month. And people sort of promote this kind of behaviour >.>

Let go of all desire for the common good, and the good becomes common as grass.

~~

Good fortune follows upon disaster;
Disaster lurks within good fortune;
Who can say how things will end?
Perhaps there is no end.
10-26-2009 05:29 PM
youpplrsogay Offline
Revolutionary

Faby Wrote:
youpplrsogay Wrote:If a person wants to be a doctor and really enjoys helping people shouldn't he learn to be a doctor his entire life to better help him instead of having to take like 100 other class that have nothing to do with it?

Fucking this. I never understood why doctors have to study literature or arts. I mean, not that there's something wrong with that, or that there aren't any doctors who like reading and doing art stuff, but they should be doing that in their free time, and dedicate themselves fully to learning about the human body. I really dislike people who want to be jacks-of-all-trades.

Also, to kill yourself, or anyone else for that matter, because of school means letting school win. School must be dealt with indifference to the best of our abilities. Just cram enough shit up as necessary to get the minimum grade, and then ignore it. If you want to be a doctor, though, or a teacher... Razz

And about grades... Other than a basis for comparison with how other kids deal in school [read: mental tolerance to having facts shoved up in there] I really doubt that they reflect how much you know about something. People usually just learn memorise really hard before a test or oral examination, get their As, and then forget everything, be it in one day or one month. And people sort of promote this kind of behaviour >.>
Exaclty not to mention YOU DONT LEARN you memorize you know how to doing something because you REMEMBER how to do it
10-27-2009 07:30 AM
Skyks Offline
Renegade

Given 4 thank(s) in 4 post(s)

School used to stress me out and to an extent still does, and honestly I used to feel a tad suicidal. But like you mentioned in your post, the thought of dropping out and going to community college has crossed my mind too, so now I'm getting everything together in order to leave high school (soon!!). I guess I've already "dropped out" of high school in a mental way. It feels nice really. I recommend it to everyone. Wink

In other words offing yourself (or esp. someone else) would be stupid since there's tons of stuff you can do if school's not working out.
10-28-2009 09:13 AM
SoulRiser Offline
Site Founder

Given 1978 thank(s) in 1208 post(s)

Quote:Yes there are kids in other countries who wish to go to school but that is because they are not forced to learn. That's like giving somebody a lobster, scolding them because they do not wish to eat it when people in other countries are starving while the guy is allergic to sea-food.
*Adds to quotes list*

That really does say it all.

Also, why stress? What's the worst that can happen if you just go to school but refuse to do any work or pay attention to anything? Bring better educational material from the library or internet and read that in class instead. What's the worst that can happen? Will anyone literally die? If not, why stress?

"If you can, help others; if you cannot do that, at least do not harm them." - Dalai Lama
Help & Support - Get help with leaving school, unsupportive parents, and more.
Click here if school makes you depressed or suicidal

Support School Survival on Patreon or Donate Bitcoin Here: 1Q5WCcxWjayniaL92b8GfXBiGdfjmnUNa2
"Believe those who are seeking the truth. Doubt those who find it." - André Paul Guillaume Gide
"The true sign of intelligence is not knowledge but imagination." - Albert Einstein
"I'm pretty sure there's a lot of beauty that can only be found in the mind of a lunatic." - TheCancer
EIPD - Emotionally Incompetent Parent Disorder

Push Button for Collection of Useful Links:
Hidden stuff:
10-31-2009 05:50 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
youpplrsogay Offline
Revolutionary

SoulRiser Wrote:
Quote:Yes there are kids in other countries who wish to go to school but that is because they are not forced to learn. That's like giving somebody a lobster, scolding them because they do not wish to eat it when people in other countries are starving while the guy is allergic to sea-food.
*Adds to quotes list*

That really does say it all.

Also, why stress? What's the worst that can happen if you just go to school but refuse to do any work or pay attention to anything? Bring better educational material from the library or internet and read that in class instead. What's the worst that can happen? Will anyone literally die? If not, why stress?

Its the want of what is not really wanted. They want to school because they see how successful people have coming out it. Should they be educated? yes but not like us. Like During WW2 when hilter got the economy of Germany up and running in like a day. They wanted that without realizing all the fucked sick shit he did
10-31-2009 03:51 PM

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Important: Want to sue your school? GrungeGestapo 10 3,702 10-09-2010 08:57 AM
Last Post: CrayolaColours