RIP School Survival Forums
August 2001 - June 2017

The School Survival Forums are permanently retired. If you need help with quitting school, unsupportive parents or anything else, there is a list of resources on the Help Page.

If you want to write about your experiences in school, you can write on our blog.

To everyone who joined these forums at some point, and got discouraged by the negativity and left after a while (or even got literally scared off): I'm sorry.

I wasn't good enough at encouraging people to be kinder, and removing people who refuse to be kind. Encouraging people is hard, and removing people creates conflict, and I hate conflict... so that's why I wasn't better at it.

I was a very, very sensitive teen. The atmosphere of this forum as it is now, if it had existed in 1996, would probably have upset me far more than it would have helped.

I can handle quite a lot of negativity and even abuse now, but that isn't the point. I want to help people. I want to help the people who need it the most, and I want to help people like the 1996 version of me.

I'm still figuring out the best way to do that, but as it is now, these forums are doing more harm than good, and I can't keep running them.

Thank you to the few people who have tried to understand my point of view so far. I really, really appreciate you guys. You are beautiful people.

Everyone else: If after everything I've said so far, you still don't understand my motivations, I think it's unlikely that you will. We're just too different. Maybe someday in the future it might make sense, but until then, there's no point in arguing about it. I don't have the time or the energy for arguing anymore. I will focus my time and energy on people who support me, and those who need help.

-SoulRiser

The forums are mostly read-only and are in a maintenance/testing phase, before being permanently archived. Please use this time to get the contact details of people you'd like to keep in touch with. My contact details are here.

Please do not make a mirror copy of the forums in their current state - things will still change, and some people have requested to be able to edit or delete some of their personal info.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Read this and smile, power to the pupils
FindTheLight Offline
Revolutionary

Given 1 thank(s) in 1 post(s)
Read this and smile, power to the pupils

Recently in Rochdale, England, which is where I'm from, students made a protest against their headteacher and it made the front page of the local paper, they sent a message around on facebook and 50 students walked out and started chanting outside their head's office. It was over uniform rules that the head had put into place. The full story is here:

http://www.rochdaleobserver.co.uk/news/ ... ide_school

It just shows what we can do, power to the pupils! Biggrin

[Image: 110.jpg]
10-28-2009 04:26 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
rebelliousteen101 Offline
Defiant

Given 0 thank(s) in 0 post(s)
Re: Read this and smile, power to the pupils

COOOL...i wish all the students in america can come together to bann HOMEWORK!!! Biggrin
10-28-2009 09:03 AM
The Desert Fox Offline
Waging war with conviction

Given 102 thank(s) in 75 post(s)

Wow. Just goes to show you that all we need is a cause and motivation. Although here in the US they'd probably tear-gas us.

Hidden stuff:
(11-27-2011 01:00 PM)psychopath Wrote:  
(11-27-2011 10:52 AM)Efs Wrote:  Our Army is more professional than Amerika. Smile
Except ours isn't allowed to have guns
CrayolaColours Wrote:That post owned. TDF wins post of the year.
Faby Wrote:
krissy Wrote:dessert fox
Mmm, flambéed vulpine.
"There is no enemy, there is no victory, only boys who lost their lives in the sand."
[/center]
10-28-2009 09:10 AM
Wingless Offline
el presidente

Given 7 thank(s) in 6 post(s)

Quote:But despite the mass protest headteacher Maggie Holt is refusing to compromise on the school's uniform policy.

She said: "Protests, such as this one, are unhelpful distractions from the real business of our students' education and will not influence school rules."

Prepare for unforeseen consequences, bitch. Also, *facedesk*

I hope these awesome students continue their protests, if she is such a blind bitch that she can't see the reason to change the rules now, then the only thing left to do is to increase the intensity of the protest until the logical reasoning side of her brain wakes up. Hell, i would be rallying everyone that I possibly could to join the protest if I was there.

[Image: sigtest1-1.jpg]

"When government surveillance and intimidation is called "freedom from terrorism" or "liberation from crime," freedom and liberty have become words without meanings." - Deus Ex
10-28-2009 09:28 AM
IllusoryDeath Away
~become away~

Given 8 thank(s) in 8 post(s)

*applauds*
10-28-2009 10:34 AM
Rebelnerd Offline
Fanatic

Given 113 thank(s) in 97 post(s)

rebelliousteen101 Wrote:COOOL...i wish all the students in america can come together to bann HOMEWORK!!! Biggrin
If all the students in American managed to organize an effective union/protesting group and then wasted it on homework, I would lose all faith in our people.
That article is pretty fucking awesome though.

I think Buenaventura Durruti is a pretty cool guy. eh kills fascists and doesnt afraid of ruins.
The quickest way to kill a revolution is to wait for it.
10-28-2009 11:19 AM
Liquid Offline
poison - do not drink

Given 2 thank(s) in 2 post(s)

Rebelnerd Wrote:
rebelliousteen101 Wrote:COOOL...i wish all the students in america can come together to bann HOMEWORK!!! Biggrin
If all the students in American managed to organize an effective union/protesting group and then wasted it on homework, I would lose all faith in our people.
That article is pretty fucking awesome though.

Abolishing homework would make for a reasonably good start though.

//

[Image: techhoops5.jpg]
10-29-2009 04:11 AM
aerftghyjk Offline
Fanatic

Given 17 thank(s) in 13 post(s)

So much win!
And I also think HW would be a good start.
10-29-2009 08:06 AM
Reptorian Offline
Fanatic

Given 18 thank(s) in 13 post(s)

Homework may be an great start, but what about the fact that you have to wake up so damn early in the morning and school ends at 2:30 PM. When the school are set into an later time, people are more likely to learn faster and score higher if they just allows the option which would actually help disprove a lot of the school's advocates idea that you need to study an subject for so many days repeatably and try to memorize them till your brain can remembers it. The quality of education would be a lot more higher when the schedule is changed to later time and it may allow room to give powers to the students and changes an small part of the school system management style to give more chances to change even more part of the school system.

ZZZ...
10-30-2009 10:45 AM
IllusoryDeath Away
~become away~

Given 8 thank(s) in 8 post(s)

StylizedCarfan1 Wrote:Homework may be an great start, but what about the fact that you have to wake up so damn early in the morning and school ends at 2:30 PM. When the school are set into an later time, people are more likely to learn faster and score higher if they just allows the option which would actually help disprove a lot of the school's advocates idea that you need to study an subject for so many days repeatably and try to memorize them till your brain can remembers it. The quality of education would be a lot more higher when the schedule is changed to later time and it may allow room to give powers to the students and changes an small part of the school system management style to give more chances to change even more part of the school system.

Yes, but when you finally get out of school, half of the day is gone - which will more than likely have to be spent doing homework/projects or extracurricular activities.

Frankly, I am grateful that my school is part of the early-start system. Sure, it is annoying as fuck to have to get up so early every morning, but I would still rather have to deal with that than to have my afternoons/early evenings taken away. It already takes me long enough to get home as it is, and if my school let out any later, it would be past six o' clock at night before I could finally unlock the backdoor.

Even if our memories work better after a certain time of being awake, it isn't like we would be memorizing anything useful in school anyway. Also, why be concerned about "scoring higher" when that should not matter to a person's education? Is it not true that grades have no importance as to how a student is 'learning'? Not when you get to the root of all things, anyway.
10-30-2009 10:59 AM
Rebelnerd Offline
Fanatic

Given 113 thank(s) in 97 post(s)

What about zero tolerance? What about ODD? What about cameras? What about school shootings? What about schools that use GPS tags to track students' movements and sent officers to grab them outside school grounds? What about boot camps? What about unpunished police brutality of school cops towards students?
I know homework needs to go, but seriously, listening to you guys you'd think that this was some kind of Kids Next Door crap.

I think Buenaventura Durruti is a pretty cool guy. eh kills fascists and doesnt afraid of ruins.
The quickest way to kill a revolution is to wait for it.
10-30-2009 11:05 AM
Fire Elf Offline
Fanatic

Given 30 thank(s) in 25 post(s)

Just homework? You're not thinking far enough, there's lots more we need to get rid off.

The only good signature is a dead signature.
10-30-2009 11:31 AM
Reptorian Offline
Fanatic

Given 18 thank(s) in 13 post(s)

IllusoryDeath Wrote:Frankly, I am grateful that my school is part of the early-start system. Sure, it is annoying as fuck to have to get up so early every morning, but I would still rather have to deal with that than to have my afternoons/early evenings taken away. It already takes me long enough to get home as it is, and if my school let out any later, it would be past six o' clock at night before I could finally unlock the backdoor.

Even if our memories work better after a certain time of being awake, it isn't like we would be memorizing anything useful in school anyway. Also, why be concerned about "scoring higher" when that should not matter to a person's education? Is it not true that grades have no importance as to how a student is 'learning'? Not when you get to the root of all things, anyway.

Actually you would have less time being in school since there are evidence that students go through less schooling in the kind of school that can start at 5 PM and they will be staying there in less amount of hours than those who go through school at an earlier time. Anything you learn can be essential if you are going to use it for the rest of your life and memorizing as much subjects as you can may be one day serving you later which is why I support the view of learning as much as you can regarding where you are. Grades only measure the amount of work you did in the average and in rare cases, it could actually give an idea of the amount of knowledge the students have. If schools are scoring higher, then there should be some way to influence people to get school to teach more advanced concepts at an earlier grades in order to catch up with the alternative education and it is highly improbable that that public school are going to help people in gaining the amount of knowledge on tests to the point where they will be considered as well as private school since the government isn't managing the education correctly. People should be learning more advanced concepts at an much earlier grades than sticking with the basics making them have more probability of having lack of knowledge of the advanced concept that they want to learn in the future when they start college or try to learn outside of school. I wouldn't condone learning your own subjects after graduating when the concept is new to you because of the stress involved and the learning rates are slower, but I do condone the idea of learning anything you want at any situation whether they tell you not to do it or not.

ZZZ...
10-31-2009 10:21 AM

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  School bans children from putting up their hands in class - and tells pupils to do... Reptorian 19 10,074 01-13-2012 06:06 AM
Last Post: Android